Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Louis CK's Target in
Leaked Set: Parkland Survivors
Dec 31, 2018 6:08 AM CST
Louis CK's Target in Leaked Set: Parkland Survivors
Though they have plenty of company
- Since returning to stand-up after his #MeToo scandal, Louis CK has attracted a smattering of headlines, many of them unpleasant . A new entry in the category: TMZ reports on audio that was posted to YouTube on Sunday and subsequently deleted. It was labeled as being from a Dec. 16 set...
Julia Louis-Dreyfus Wins Twain
Prize, Takes Kavanaugh Shot
Oct 22, 2018 2:28 AM CDT
Julia Louis-Dreyfus Wins Twain Prize, Takes Kavanaugh Shot
Actress went to same high school as Christine Blasey Ford
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus is one of the best-known comedic actresses of her generation, and now she's been recognized with the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor for a lifetime in comedy. She is the 21st person the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts has honored with the award. Jerry Seinfeld,...
Comedy Club Adds Disclaimer
to Ticket as Louis CK Returns
Oct 2, 2018 7:09 AM CDT
Comedy Club Adds Disclaimer to Ticket as Louis CK Returns
Comedy Cellar patrons can leave and get a refund
- Louis CK is apparently bent on rehabilitating his comedy career one surprise appearance at a time. The comedian performed his second unannounced set at the Comedy Cellar in New York City over the weekend, about a month after his first . The
New York Post
puts a negative spin on it,...
Kevin Hart Comedy
Draws a Diverse Crowd
Sep 30, 2018 11:45 AM CDT
Kevin Hart Comedy Draws a Diverse Crowd
'Night School' beats 'Smallfoot' for top of the box office
- The new comedy
overcame weak reviews and fended off an animated Yeti to grab top spot at the weekend box office, per the
. Drawing a multi-ethnic audience—37% Caucasian, 30% African American, 24% Latino, 5% Asian, and 4% other, says Universal—the Kevin Hart comedy domestically...
Jul 8, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
A Low-Key, Enraged Comic May Have Just Broken Standup
Hannah Gadsby unleashes in her new show, 'Nanette'
- Hannah Gadsby is a quiet, tea-loving comic whose new Netflix show
is being hailed as the next big thing. She's also simmering with rage and ready to quit the business,
reports. Onstage in her homeland of Australia, the gay performer eases people in with a few...
Michelle Wolf Takes Aim
at Sanders on New Show
May 28, 2018 11:15 AM CDT
Michelle Wolf Takes Aim at Sanders on New Show
Comedian launches 'The Break'
- Michelle Wolf fans (and maybe a few detractors?) have been awaiting her new Netflix show
since she caused a political commotion at last month's White House Correspondents Dinner. On Saturday's debut—which mixed stand-up and a desk segment on a set that resembles "
What It Was Like to Make the
Best Episode of
Apr 11, 2018 11:10 AM CDT
What It Was Like to Make the Best Episode of
Inside 'The Dinner Party' 10 years after it first aired
- It was a day that went down in comedic history: "On April 10th, 2008,
topped itself with its best half-hour ever—and perhaps the best comedy episode of the decade," writes Andy Greene for
. He's referring, of course, to "The Dinner Party,...
'Best Thing' to
Nov 15, 2017 4:16 PM CST
Louis CK Allegations Are 'Best Thing' to Happen to Comedy
It's time for a 'full reckoning,' writes Lindy West
- "This is the best thing that has happened to comedy in a long time," Lindy West writes in the
New York Times
regarding the allegations against Louis CK. And despite the headline "Why Men Aren't Funny," that's not coming from a longtime CK...
'Netflix Is a Joke' Billboards
Confound Social Media
Sep 6, 2017 1:10 PM CDT
'Netflix Is a Joke' Billboards Confound Social Media
But the company behind them isn't surprising
- Stark-white billboards with a single message—"Netflix is a joke"—written on them have been causing confusion among passers-by and on social media since popping up in Los Angeles and New York this week, the
reports. Mashable quotes some of the reactions on Twitter: "Who'...
Is the Funniest
One-Liner of 2017
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 27, 2017 2:02 PM CDT
This Joke Is the Funniest One-Liner of 2017
According to 'Dave's Funniest Joke of the Fringe'
- If you haven't heard of Scotland's Edinburgh Fringe Festival, you may be part of the minority. The
New York Times
reports the arts festival is the largest "in the known world," with its organizers boasting that only the Olympics and World Cup have a bigger attendance....
Sean Spicer a
Apr 6, 2017 8:30 AM CDT
Gives Sean Spicer a New Career
He's a natural at being a kindergarten teacher
- Sean Spicer has already become the whipping boy for
Saturday Night Live
, but now another late-night show is taking a crack at him. Wednesday's
analyzed clips of the famously combative press secretary interacting with reporters and wondered : "Does @SeanSpicer treat the press like a bunch of...
F-Bombs Abound in
Hawking Charity Skit
Mar 28, 2017 7:55 AM CDT
F-Bombs Abound in Hawking Charity Skit
Gordon Ramsey is only partly to blame
- At long last, Stephen Hawking has regained a British accent—sort of. In a Comic Relief skit for charity, Hawking explains he's bored of his computer-generated voice and is reviewing audition tapes from celebrities who might do as well. But he's not at all pleased with the applicants....
Feb 2, 2017 11:47 AM CST
NFL Punter Makes Unusual Career Change
Indianapolis Colts' Pat McAfee will produce content for satirical Barstool Sports site
- One of the best punters the Indianapolis Colts ever had just kicked his NFL career to the curb. At just 29, Pat McAfee has decided to walk away from the game and onto the comedy scene, a surprise he announced on live TV Wednesday night, the
Bill Murray Wins Comedy Prize,
Hands It to Audience
Oct 24, 2016 12:39 AM CDT
Bill Murray Wins Comedy Prize, Hands It to Audience
He's this year's Mark Twain winner
- Bill Murray accepted a bust of Mark Twain for his lifetime achievement in comedy—and immediately handed it to the audience to be passed around. Murray was honored Sunday night at the Kennedy Center by more than a dozen of his co-stars and collaborators, including David Letterman, Sigourney Weaver, and...
Oct 17, 2016 1:23 PM CDT
200 People Storm Out of Schumer Show
Over what else these days—Donald Trump
- Some folks who went for the comedy, not the politics—which is often fair game in comedy, especially during an election year—didn't take too kindly to Amy Schumer's remarks about Donald Trump during a Sunday show at Amalie Arena in Tampa, Fla. Per the
Tampa Bay Times
Return to TV
Oct 14, 2016 9:33 AM CDT
Sources: Chris Rock Making $40M Return to TV
2 stand-up comedy specials will air on Netflix
- Chris Rock has been missing from the small screen for eight years, but the comedian's fans will be pleased to hear that not everybody hates Chris: He's cut a comeback deal for two stand-up comedy specials on Netflix for what sources tell the
is a record-smashing...
Aug 12, 2016 8:39 AM CDT
Is Hilariously Filthy
'One of the funniest and most deeply offensive movies of the year'
- Just because a film is animated doesn't mean you should take your kids to see it. Case in point:
—which delivers more F-bombs in its first minute than one would've thought possible. How do critics feel about talking food items with, um, powerful sexual urges? Here'...
Next on Tina Fey's
To-Do List: Making
Apr 20, 2016 1:11 PM CDT
Next on Tina Fey's To-Do List: Making
OK, we're a little embarrassed by our plans to laze by the pool all summer
- Sure, Tina Fey had a stint on
, a seven-year run on
, co-hosted the Golden Globes, and has new Netflix hit
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
, but now the 45-year-old comedian and writer is putting together a musical based on the 2004 movie
, which she wrote, the
5 of the Most
in case you missed it
Feb 6, 2016 3:25 PM CST
5 of the Most Important Jokes in Comedy
Vulture rounds up 100; here's a small sample
- If you've got some spare time on your hands, the editors at Vulture have selected the "100 Jokes That Shaped Modern Comedy." They define "joke" to include acts of physical comedy along with those of the traditional punchline variety, and they cull from stand-up routines, movies,...
Jan 22, 2016 10:57 AM CST
Amy Schumer Joke-Stealing Controversy Gets Weird
One of the comedians backtracks, sort of
- Earlier this week, a Twitter discussion between three comedians accused Amy Schumer of stealing jokes. Wendy Liebman, Kathleen Madigan, and Tammy Pescatelli all took part, per Refinery 29 , though Pescatelli seemed to be the most vocal and many of the tweets were ultimately deleted. Schumer responded on Twitter Wednesday: "...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Moments After Teen's Death, the Alleged Cover-Up Began
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.