Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Colombia Woman Wins Right
To Die After Historic Fight
Jan 9, 2022 7:15 AM CST
Colombia Woman Wins Right To Die After Historic Fight
Martha Sepúlveda, who was battling ALS, has died
A Colombia woman who, for months, was fighting for her right to end her own life, has died by euthanasia. Per the
, 51-year-old Martha Sepúlveda, who suffered from ALS, won her high-profile battle to die “according to her idea of autonomy and dignity,” per...
Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
Jan 2, 2022 11:45 AM CST
Law Permitting Assisted Suicide Takes Effect
After completing a series of steps, Austrians may receive lethal drugs from a pharmacy
- Austrians with a terminal illness or permanent, debilitating condition now may seek help in ending their life. Parliament approved legalizing assisted suicide last week after a Constitutional Court ruling that said the existing ban was a violation of the right to self-determination, Deutsche Welle reports. The Assisted Suicide Act took...
Suicide Pod Can Be
Used in Switzerland
in case you missed it
Dec 11, 2021 2:45 PM CST
Suicide Pod Can Be Used in Switzerland
The Sarco is cleared for use
- An assisted suicide pod first introduced three and a half years ago has now been cleared for use in Switzerland. The Sarco, invented by Dr. Philip Nitschke of the Exit International nonprofit, has passed a legal review and can be operated in the country, SwissInfo reports. Assisted suicide was already...
Authorities Cancel Woman's
Oct 10, 2021 4:43 PM CDT
Authorities Cancel Woman's Planned Euthanasia
Martha Sepúlveda was ready to say goodbye today, but health authorities reversed their decision
- The Colombian woman who had won the right to die by euthanasia went to bed Friday night ready to face her last day on Earth. But a call from her lawyers woke her and changed everything. Martha Sepúlveda has amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, known as ALS or Lou Gehrig’s...
She Doesn't Have a Terminal
Illness. She'll Die on Sunday
Oct 8, 2021 2:10 PM CDT
She Doesn't Have a Terminal Illness. She'll Die on Sunday
Martha Sepulveda to die by euthanasia in Colombia, which in July loosened its right-to-die rules
- In late 2018, Martha Sepulveda was diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, the progressive neurological condition also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. On Sunday, the 51-year-old Colombian mother and devout Catholic will die by legally permitted euthanasia—the first in her nation to be allowed to do so despite not...
New Zealanders Vote
Yes on Euthanasia, No on Pot
Oct 30, 2020 3:53 AM CDT
New Zealanders Vote Yes on Euthanasia, No on Pot
Jacinda Ardern voted Yes on both questions
- New Zealanders have voted overwhelmingly in favor of legalizing euthanasia—and narrowly against legalizing marijuana for recreational use. The euthanasia proposal, which appeared as a referendum question on ballots in the country's Oct. 17 election, passed with around 66% of the vote, the
reports. The law will take...
Netherlands Plans to Allow
Euthanasia for Under-12s
Oct 14, 2020 5:28 PM CDT
Netherlands Plans to Allow Euthanasia for Under-12s
Government says move will help children 'suffering hopelessly and unbearably'
- The Netherlands is set to become the second country in the world to allow euthanasia for terminally ill children under 12. After months of debate in the country's ruling coalition, Health Minister Hugo de Jonge said regulations would be changed to help "a small group of terminally ill...
Dutch Court Clears Way for
Euthanasia in Dementia Cases
Apr 21, 2020 12:07 PM CDT
Dutch Court Clears Way for Euthanasia in Dementia Cases
Patient must provide written directive while still healthy
- The Netherlands' highest court ruled Tuesday that doctors can carry out euthanasia in patients with advanced dementia if the patient has earlier made a written directive, per the AP . The Supreme Court ruling solidifies in law a practice that already was being carried out on rare occasions in the Netherlands....
She Told Euthanasia Story,
Didn't Intend to Be a Part of It
Dec 10, 2019 1:15 PM CST
She Told Euthanasia Story, Didn't Intend to Be a Part of It
Lynsey Addario writes of photographing the journey of Paralympian Marieke Vervoort
- When Paralympic athlete Marieke Vervoort ended her life legally through euthanasia in Belgium earlier this year, the news made international headlines . Now comes a moving account of Vervoot's story from one of the handful of people in the room during those final moments: photographer Lynsey Addario. In a
Legally Ends Her Life
Oct 23, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
Paralympic Athlete Legally Ends Her Life
100m champ Marieke Vervoort was 40
- Paralympian athlete Marieke Vervoort made the most out of her life—and ended it at a time of her choosing. The 40-year-old died Tuesday by euthanasia, which is legal in Belgium. Vervoort, who won the 100 meters gold and 200 meters silver medals in wheelchair racing at the London Paralympics...
Another Casualty at Santa Anita
Sep 30, 2019 6:38 AM CDT
Another Casualty at Santa Anita
3-year-old colt becomes the 32nd horse since December to die at track
- A 3-year-old colt sustained a catastrophic injury in the eighth race at Santa Anita and was euthanized Saturday, the 32nd horse to die at the track since December. Two-time Kentucky Derby-winning jockey Mario Gutierrez was tossed off in the incident on the second day of the fall meet at Santa...
To Carry Out Euthanasia, Her
Coffee Was Secretly Drugged
Sep 11, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
To Carry Out Euthanasia, Her Coffee Was Secretly Drugged
Doctor cleared of wrongdoing in death of 74-year-old
- A Dutch doctor was acquitted Wednesday in a landmark trial that prosecutors and physicians hope will help clarify how the country's 2002 euthanasia law can be applied to people with severe dementia. The doctor, who wasn't named in court, was cleared of any wrongdoing in carrying out euthanasia...
She Got the
Death She Wanted,
With David Bowie
Aug 5, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
She Got the Death She Wanted, With David Bowie and Pizza
Cancer patient Kerry Robertson, 61, is first Aussie to die under new assisted-suicide law
- It took nearly a month to go through the approval process, but an Australian woman finally got her wish and ended her own life last month. The BBC reports that 61-year-old Kerry Robertson became the first Aussie to take advantage of a new law currently available only in the state...
Teen Rape Survivor
Ends Her Life
Jun 5, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Teen Rape Survivor Who Requested Euthanasia Ends Her Life
17-year-old Noa Pothoven suffered PTSD and depression
- "After years of struggling and fighting, it's over." So reads a Dutch teen's "sad last post" Saturday on her Instagram account , noting she'd stopped eating and drinking and would soon be free from "[unbearable] suffering." The
reports on the right-to-die...
His Wife Wanted
to Pull Life Support;
His Parents Didn't
May 20, 2019 9:03 AM CDT
His Wife Wanted to Pull Life Support; His Parents Didn't
'Halting of treatments' has begun for quadriplegic in divisive right-to-die case out of France
- It's been an agonizing battle between Vincent Lambert's wife and his parents, and it appears his wife is getting the final say. The BBC reports the 42-year-old Frenchman, a quadriplegic who's been in a vegetative state since a motorcycle accident 11 years ago, is being taken off...
A Puppy Was Set
to Be Euthanized.
Then, a Very
Jan 23, 2019 9:20 AM CST
A Puppy Was Set to Be Euthanized. Then, a Very Surprised Vet
The drugs didn't work on this pit bull mix, apparently
- A happy ending in the form of a forever home has come for a puppy in Iowa, after an animal shelter tried to put him down and failed. Kylie Jo Mitchell, a worker at the no-kill shelter where Rudolph—a pit bull mix estimated to be about 8 months old—...
Woman With Asperger's
Was Euthanized. Now, a Trial
in case you missed it
Dec 1, 2018 3:06 PM CST
Woman With Asperger's Was Euthanized. Now, a Trial
It's the first such case in Belgium since the practice became legal in 2002
- Belgian doctors accused of improperly euthanizing a woman with autism will see their case go to trial, marking "the first time that there has been a decision to refer such a case to a court of law" since the practice was legalized in 2002, a prosecutor tells the AFP...
Forces Woman to
End Her Life Early
in case you missed it
Nov 10, 2018 10:10 AM CST
Canadian Law Forces Woman to End Her Life Early
Audrey Parker advocated for a change in the law before her Nov. 1 death
- Audrey Parker used Canada's medically assisted death law to legally end her life—but a provision in that law forced her to do so months earlier than she wanted to. The
looks at the 57-year-old's case and the debate it has generated: Parker's stage 4 breast...
Aug 9, 2018 5:15 PM CDT
Officials Let Woman, 29, Kill Herself With Poison
Aurelia Brouwers applied for legal euthanasia in the Netherlands
- Aurelia Brouwers tried to kill herself many times, and ultimately succeeded—with the government's help. The 29-year-old Dutch woman won the right to die after squeaking through an approval process that usually denies psychiatric cases, the BBC reports. "When I was 12, I suffered from depression," she...
Scientist, 104, Ends
His Life as Planned
May 10, 2018 9:54 AM CDT
Scientist, 104, Ends His Life as Planned
David Goodall had traveled to Switzerland, where assisted suicide is legal
- David Goodall, the 104-year-old Australian scientist who campaigned for the legalization of assisted suicide, died Thursday in Switzerland, Fox News reports. Goodall, who spoke at length on the eve of his death about why he wanted to end his own life, administered a lethal drug under the guidance of doctors...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Hate Mail Flooded In After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Lab-Bound Monkeys That Escaped Have Been Caught
Behind the Schoharie Crash: an 'Outlaw Limo Company'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.