Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Family's Puppy Grows Up,
Takes Surprising Turn
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 13, 2021 7:00 AM CST
Family's Puppy Grows Up, Takes Surprising Turn
Adorable baby critter in Peru turns out to be a wild Andean fox
- Run Run is on the run. The Sotelo family in Lima, Peru, raised a puppy they thought was going to grow up to be purebred husky. They raised the cute little puppy with no problem for a while. Then Run Run started to chase things, killing and eating guinea pigs,...
Study Alters Story
of Inca Emperor
Aug 4, 2021 11:53 AM CDT
Machu Picchu Study Alters Story of Inca Emperor
Results suggest Pachacuti's initial conquests occurred earlier than thought
- Our understanding of Machu Picchu's timeline wasn't quite right, or so a new study published in
suggests. It's long been thought that the Peruvian site was built after AD 1438, reports the
, a conclusion that was drawn from the accounts of Spanish conquistadors who were...
Cops: Gang Charged $21K for
Bed in Hospital's COVID Unit
Jul 22, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
Cops: Gang Charged $21K for Bed in Hospital's COVID Unit
Administrators of public hospital in Peru among 9 'Black Angels' arrested
- Authorities in Peru say they have busted a gang that charged the desperate relatives of COVID patients vast amounts of money for beds in the intensive care unit in a public hospital. Prosecutor Reynaldo Abia says nine people arrested Wednesday include administrators of Lima's Guillermo Almenara Irigoyen hospital, which...
'Now It's All Over,'
Said Her Mom.
But the Teen
Jun 27, 2021 3:45 PM CDT
'Now It's All Over,' Said Her Mom. But the Teen Survived
Juliane Diller, nee Koepke, talks to the 'New York Times' about the 1971 plane crash
- Juliane Diller, nee Koepke, hasn't made public comments about the accident in many years, writes Franz Lidz for the
New York Times
. She does with Lidz, recounting the Christmas Eve 1971 plane crash that killed 91 people; there were 92 aboard. The then-17-year-old and her mother had left Lima,...
This Nation Now Claims
a Global Worst for COVID
Jun 1, 2021 7:53 AM CDT
This Nation Now Claims a Global Worst for COVID
After criteria for coronavirus deaths expanded, Peru finds out it has worst mortality rate per capita
- Last month, researchers determined that the global death toll from the coronavirus is double what's been reported thus far. Now, one country's recalculations have bestowed upon it a depressing statistic. After figuring out this week it can tack 100,000 more COVID deaths onto its official count, Peru...
Jan 4, 2021 7:40 PM CST
Squatters at Ruins Fight Eviction With Death Threats
Archaeologist who discovered Caral tries to preserve it
- It would be understandable if Ruth Shady felt a sense of ownership over the ruins of a 5,000-year-old civilization in Peru: The archaeological discovered the site in 1994. But she says, "The owner of the land is the Peruvian state." And she's sure the squatters at...
Peru Has Its 3rd
President in a Week
Nov 18, 2020 6:31 AM CST
Peru Has Its 3rd President in a Week
Francisco Sagasti aims to restore trust in government after Martín Vizcarra's ouster
- Peruvians watched in hope as the nation's third president in just over a week was sworn in to office Tuesday, promising to restore trust in government after the worst constitutional crisis in two decades. Francisco Sagasti donned the presidential sash and in his first words to the nation paid...
This Nation Currently
Has No Leader
Nov 16, 2020 8:07 AM CST
This Nation Currently Has No Leader
Peru's interim president resigns after only 5 days amid a constitutional crisis
- Peru’s interim president resigned Sunday after only five days on the job as the nation plunged into its worst constitutional crisis in two decades, per the AP . The resignation followed massive protests unleashed when Congress ousted the nation’s popular leader. In a short televised address, Manuel Merino said...
New Find Upends Thinking
on Early Big-Game Hunters
Nov 5, 2020 11:43 AM CST
New Find Upends Thinking on Early Big-Game Hunters
Researchers think up to 50% of such hunters in the Americas were female
- Think the women of the ancient Americas were stuck crushing grain into flour while the men went hunting for big game? Researchers say you're wrong. "Early big-game hunting was likely gender neutral," reads a new study in
. The conclusion stems from a 9,000-year-old burial...
Peru's Nazca Lines
Reveal a Massive Cat
Oct 19, 2020 3:40 AM CDT
Peru's Nazca Lines Reveal a Massive Cat
Huge feline geoglyph is 2K years old
- Peru's Nazca lines are still revealing new geoglyphs. The latest is a huge cat that dates back to 200-100 BC and measures more than 121 feet across, per the
. "The figure was scarcely visible and was about to disappear because it’s situated on quite a steep...
Peru Opens Machu Picchu
for a Single Tourist
Oct 13, 2020 7:21 AM CDT
Peru Opens Machu Picchu for a Single Tourist
Jesse Takayama held on to his entry ticket while stranded for seven months
- A Japanese man found himself the lone tourist exploring Machu Picchu over the weekend—a privilege granted after seven months of waiting. Jesse Takayama had arrived in Peru in March with plans to stay for only a few days while taking in the UNESCO World Heritage Site. Instead, he became...
This Country Has the
Worst COVID Death Rate
Sep 1, 2020 3:00 AM CDT
This Country Has the Worst COVID Death Rate
Peru, followed by Belgium
- Peru is No. 1 on a list you really don't want to top: the highest coronavirus death rates in the world. Peru has lost 873 per million people to COVID-19, Axios reports. The South American country surpassed Belgium, the previous holder of the top spot, which has a death...
Kills 13 as Cops Arrive
Aug 23, 2020 8:57 AM CDT
Nightclub Stampede Kills 13 as Cops Arrive
About 120 people had gathered at disco illegally in Lima, Peru
- Thirteen people died in a stampede at a disco in Peru after a police raid to enforce the country's lockdown during the coronavirus pandemic, the AP reports. The stampede happened at the Thomas Restobar in Lima, where about 120 people had gathered for a party on Saturday night, the...
Can't Get Home
Mar 28, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Roughly 33K Americans Still Can't Get Home
A traveler in Peru says his case 'was comical at first, I was laughing'
- Some 33,000 Americans are still struggling to get back home amid the growing coronavirus pandemic, NBC News reports. Some 15,440 have already returned, but so many are stuck abroad that some are just planning to stay until the pandemic is over. "In some places, people have decided...
US Tourists Are Stranded,
Desperate Amid Pandemic
Mar 21, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
US Tourists Are Stranded, Desperate Amid Pandemic
Americans say they feel abandoned by the US State Department
- Linda Scruggs and Mike Rustici trained for months to hike the winding trails leading to Machu Picchu's complex of Inca ruins. So they were thrilled when their flight landed earlier this month in the Peruvian capital. They did part of their trek but wound up trapped in a Lima...
Every McDonald's in This
Nation Shuttered for 2 Days
Dec 18, 2019 4:33 AM CST
Every McDonald's in This Nation Shuttered for 2 Days
After 2 teen employees were electrocuted in Lima, Peru
- Every McDonald's in Peru shut down for two days this week to mourn two teen workers who died while working a night shift over the weekend. The bodies of 18-year-old Gabriel Campos Zapata and Alexandra Porras Inga, 19, were found by emergency workers in the Lima restaurant Sunday morning....
Nazca Lines Were
Nov 22, 2019 8:38 AM CST
More Ancient Nazca Lines Were Just Spotted
Including the first one ever discovered with artificial intelligence
- Large ancient drawings etched into the desert in southern Peru have fascinated researchers for years. Now they've got 143 more of the figures—known as Nazca lines—to ponder. Researchers from Japan's Yamagata University announced the discovery of the geoglyphs in a news release . As with the previously...
Peru Has Been Thrown Into
a Constitutional Crisis
Oct 1, 2019 4:41 PM CDT
Peru Has Been Thrown Into a Constitutional Crisis
President dissolves congress, congress votes to suspend him from office
- A bitter struggle between Peru's president and congress over who will govern the South American country threatened to become a lengthy and destabilizing legal battle as each side dug in Tuesday amid the deepest constitutional crisis in nearly three decades, the AP reports. President Martín Vizcarra dissolved the...
As Far as Child Sacrifices Go,
This Could Be the Biggest
Aug 28, 2019 9:38 AM CDT
As Far as Child Sacrifices Go, This Could Be the Biggest
227 bodies found in Peru
- It's a grim and possibly record-setting find in Peru: what archaeologists say could be the biggest single mass child sacrifice ever found. The current body count is 227, and that number could grow as archaeologists continue to work the site, which is near the seaside town of Huanchaco in...
Killed in Accident
Arriving in Peru
May 28, 2019 3:04 AM CDT
Florida Teens Killed in Accident Hours After Arriving in Peru
They were visiting country to celebrate graduation
- A high school in Bradenton, Florida, is mourning two students who were killed in an accident while visiting Peru to celebrate their recent graduation. Albert Ales and Zachary Morris, both 18, were killed just hours after arriving in the country when a bus hit their motorcycle as they were exploring...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
FBI: Laundrie Took Responsibility in His Notebook
2 SNL Stars Plunk Down $280K for Staten Island Ferry
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.