Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Fire Scorches Easter Island's Iconic Statues
Authorities say the damage is 'irreparable'
- A forest fire that swept through a national park has done irreversible damage to some of Easter Island's most famous landmarks, authorities say. The fire scorched around 250 acres of an area that's home to numerous moai statues, the
reports. The huge stone figures are sometimes called...
Chileans Roundly Reject
Proposed New Constitution
Sep 6, 2022 5:38 PM CDT
Chileans Roundly Reject Proposed New Constitution
Proposal would have enshrined more rights than any constitution in the world
- Chilean voters overwhelmingly rejected a proposed new constitution on Sunday, dealing a major political blow to President Gabriel Boric, according to the
New York Times,
and bringing an "abrupt ending to a long and sometimes painful process that had promised a political revolution … but instead leaves Chile deeply...
Are a Boon—Maybe
Aug 21, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
South America's Lithium Reserves Are a Boon—Maybe
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the obstacles in extracting one of world's biggest reserves
- As the appetite for electric vehicles grows, the
Wall Street Journal
sees an obstacle in the way of production expanding at a similar clip: South America. The continent is one of three places on Earth—the others being Australia and China—that have substantial reserves of lithium, the metal needed...
For Easter Island
Head, a 'Profoundly
Feb 22, 2022 12:32 PM CST
For Easter Island Head, a 'Profoundly Significant' Move
Moai held at Chile's national museum since 1878 to rejoin the Rapa Nui on Easter Island
- A century and a half after it was removed from Easter Island, a giant moai is about to head home. The 1,500-pound moai statue housed at Chile's National Museum of Natural History since 1878 will next week begin a five-day journey back to Easter Island , a Chilean territory,...
Leftist Millennial Wins
Presidency in Chile
Dec 20, 2021 11:12 AM CST
Leftist Millennial Wins Presidency in Chile
Gabriel Boric, 35, is nation's youngest modern president
- Former leftist student leader Gabriel Boric will be under quick pressure from his youthful supporters to fulfill his promises to remake Chile after the millennial politician scored a historic victory in the country's presidential runoff election, per the AP . Boric spent months traversing Chile, vowing to bring a youth-led...
This Dino Species Has
'Something Never Seen Before'
in case you missed it
Dec 5, 2021 11:40 AM CST
This Dino Species Has 'Something Never Seen Before'
Fossil of dog-sized stegouros shows it had a tail that could slash, slice like an ancient Aztec weapon
- A fossil found in Chile is from a strange-looking dog-sized dinosaur species that had a unique slashing tail weapon, scientists reported Wednesday. Some dinosaurs had spiked tails they could use as stabbing weapons, and others had tails with clubs. The new species, described in a study in the journal
Chileans Vote in Tight,
Polarized Presidential Election
Nov 21, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Chileans Vote in Tight, Polarized Presidential Election
Frontrunners are a conservative and a former protest leader
- Chileans were voting for a new president Sunday following a polarizing campaign in which the leading candidates vowed to chart starkly different paths for the region's most economically advanced country staggered by a recent wave of social unrest. Pre-election polls point to a large number of undecided voters but...
Chile Gets Bad Vaccine News
Apr 19, 2021 4:13 AM CDT
Chile Gets Bad Vaccine News
It's using China's Sinovac, which is not very effective after just the first dose
- China recently revealed that its COVID-19 vaccines aren't all that effective , and that's bad news for Chile, which is using the Chinese Sinovac vaccine. Public health experts say people started getting lax about public health precautions too quickly after just the first dose of the two-dose vaccine started...
Virus Reaches Antarctica,
Completing Its Sweep
Dec 22, 2020 2:54 PM CST
Virus Reaches Antarctica, Completing Its Sweep
36 people at Chilean research station test positive
- The last coronavirus-free continent has reported its first cases. There have now been 36 infections in Antarctica, all tied to a Chilean research base. The cases were uncovered after symptoms began emerging at Base General Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme; 26 Chilean army members and 10 maintenance workers tested positive. They...
In After Selfie
Without a Mask
Dec 20, 2020 10:45 AM CST
President Turns Himself In After Selfie Without a Mask
Sebastian Pinera is fined $3.5K after photo shows up on social media
- Chile isn't kidding about its mask rules during the pandemic. Anyone caught maskless in a public place can face jail time, as well as a fine. And photos on social media have brought Sebastian Pinera trouble before: one at a pizza party as demonstrators protested inequality, and one in...
To Get to $7B in Gold, They
Have to Wrangle Rare Rodents
Oct 23, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
To Get to $7B in Gold, They Have to Wrangle Rare Rodents
Ed Stoddard at Undark describes the conservation project around Chilean mine
- An effort to pull 3.5 million ounces of gold from a site high in the mountains of northern Chile is expected to cost $860 million—$400,000 of which has already been spent on rodents. A colony of 25 endangered short-haired chinchillas has made a home at the site...
Oct 12, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Protesters in Mexico: 'We Were Not Discovered'
Demonstrators in several nations mark Columbus Day in the streets
- Mexicans have never had much affection for Cristopher Columbus, and officials were coy about why his statue was removed from the capital's main boulevard before Monday's observances of Columbus Day, which saw protests in several Latin American nations. Unlike in other cities where monuments to the 15th-century explorer...
in case you missed it
Aug 23, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Desperate Mom Sold Honey. Then Came Mel Gibson's Lawyer
Mel Gibson's attorney contacts unemployed Chilean woman for selling 'Miel Gibson' product
- Trying to make ends meet while in coronavirus quarantine has been a struggle for millions around the world, including in Chile, which has had one of the most rigid lockdowns. Yohana Agurto, a Chilean single mom of four who hasn't been teaching during the pandemic, was desperate to bring...
Explosives Go Off
on Women's Day
Mar 8, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Explosives Go Off on Women's Day
'They kill us, they rape us and nobody does anything,' chant women in Chile
- From the streets of Manila to a school in East London, people around the world marked International Women’s Day on Sunday with calls to end exploitation and increase equality. But tensions marred some celebrations, with police arresting demonstrators at a rally in Kyrgyzstan and separatists detonating a bomb during...
'Incalculable' Damage After
Truck Hits Easter Island Statue
Mar 7, 2020 6:30 AM CST
'Incalculable' Damage After Truck Hits Easter Island Statue
The unmanned vehicle was parked, but the brake apparently failed
- For the Rapa Nui, the iconic moai statues of Easter Island are "sacred structures," Camilo Rapu, the head of the indigenous community there, tells CNN . That's why what went down in the Chilean territory Sunday has the locals distressed and wondering how to better protect the famous...
All 38 Passengers
on Doomed Plane
Dec 12, 2019 1:40 PM CST
All 38 Passengers on Doomed Plane Presumed Dead
Wreckage of the Chilean Air Force plane has been found
- The wreckage of the Chilean Air Force plane that went missing en route to a base in Antarctica Monday night has been found, and Chile's government believes all 38 passengers aboard are dead. "I would like to express our condolences, support and the pain we are feeling for...
for Missing Plane
Dec 11, 2019 5:23 AM CST
Search Crews Comb Antarctic for Missing Plane
Chilean plane was carrying 38 people
- Search crews are combing the Antarctic for a Chilean military transport plane carrying 38 people that vanished en route to a base on the frozen continent and will tirelessly press ahead as the hunt gains widening international support, officials say. Gen. Eduardo Mosqueira says Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil, and the US...
Plane Carrying 38
Way to Antarctica
Dec 10, 2019 12:44 AM CST
Plane Carrying 38 Disappears on Way to Antarctica
Chile lost contact with military aircraft
- Chile's air force said it lost radio contact with a transport plane carrying 38 people on a flight Monday evening to one of the country's bases in Antarctica. It said the military had declared an alert and activated search and rescue teams. The C-130 Hercules carried 17 crew...
Chile Cancels Summit Where
US, China Hoped to Sign Deal
Oct 30, 2019 12:34 PM CDT
Chile Cancels Summit Where US, China Hoped to Sign Deal
White House says it wants to sign first phase of deal anyway
- The White House says it wants to sign the first phase of a new China trade deal next month even though the summit where it was to have happened has been cancelled. President Trump was to travel to Santiago, Chile, in November to sign the preliminary agreement with China's...
Oct 26, 2019 1:54 PM CDT
Why Millions Are Protesting Worldwide
From Chile to Iraq to Hong Kong, people are upset
- In Hong Kong, it was a complicated extradition dispute involving a murder suspect. In Beirut, it was a proposed tax on the popular WhatsApp messenger service. In Chile, it was a 4-cent hike in subway fares. Recent weeks have seen mass protests and clashes erupt in far-flung places triggered by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.