Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Latest Airstrike, Calls
for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Nov 1, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
After Latest Airstrike, Calls for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Arab nations condemn Israeli strike on refugee camp as groups claim use of white phosphorus
- Dozens of people entered the Rafah crossing from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday in what appeared to be the first time foreign passport holders have been allowed to leave the besieged territory since the start of the Israel-Hamas war more than three weeks ago, the AP reports. Egyptian state-run media...
Oct 29, 2023 5:25 PM CDT
Measuring Error Cancels Winner's World Record
Route at Pan American Games turns out to be almost 2 miles too short
- Peru's Kimberly García thought she set the world record in the women's 20 kilometers walk race at the Pan American Games in Chile. She later found out she didn't. Organizers of the largest multi-sports in the continent said in a statement that the times of the...
The Remains Were Obliterated.
Chile Will Search for Them
Aug 30, 2023 11:51 AM CDT
The Remains Were Obliterated. Chile Will Search for Them
50 years after Pinochet's coup, the Chilean government will look for the missing
- September will bring with it the 50th anniversary of the coup that brought down Chile's democratically elected government and established Augusto Pinochet's dictatorship in its stead—and ahead of that anniversary, Chile on Wednesday is set to move forward with its plan to find the remains of those...
Pilot Dies During
Aug 17, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Pilot Dies During Miami-Chile Flight
Plane lands in Panama for emergency care
- A veteran airline pilot died on a flight that had taken off from Miami on Monday,
reports. The LATAM Airlines plane, which was headed to Santiago, Chile, landed in Panama City, Panama, because one of its three command crew members had a medical emergency, airline officials said. First...
This Nation Spends
the Most Time Online
Apr 1, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
This Nation Spends the Most Time Online
South Africans spend average 578 minutes per day on the internet, per Atlas VPN
- It can be hard to accurately estimate how much time we spend online, though Atlas VPN notes that for many of us, it's a "significant portion of our day." Using data on internet usage trends among internet users 16 to 64 years old, the VPN service found...
Oct 7, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Fire Scorches Easter Island's Iconic Statues
Authorities say the damage is 'irreparable'
- A forest fire that swept through a national park has done irreversible damage to some of Easter Island's most famous landmarks, authorities say. The fire scorched around 250 acres of an area that's home to numerous moai statues, the
reports. The huge stone figures are sometimes called...
Chileans Roundly Reject
Proposed New Constitution
Sep 6, 2022 5:38 PM CDT
Chileans Roundly Reject Proposed New Constitution
Proposal would have enshrined more rights than any constitution in the world
- Chilean voters overwhelmingly rejected a proposed new constitution on Sunday, dealing a major political blow to President Gabriel Boric, according to the
New York Times,
and bringing an "abrupt ending to a long and sometimes painful process that had promised a political revolution … but instead leaves Chile deeply...
Are a Boon—Maybe
Aug 21, 2022 2:40 PM CDT
South America's Lithium Reserves Are a Boon—Maybe
'Wall Street Journal' looks at the obstacles in extracting one of world's biggest reserves
- As the appetite for electric vehicles grows, the
Wall Street Journal
sees an obstacle in the way of production expanding at a similar clip: South America. The continent is one of three places on Earth—the others being Australia and China—that have substantial reserves of lithium, the metal needed...
For Easter Island
Head, a 'Profoundly
Feb 22, 2022 12:32 PM CST
For Easter Island Head, a 'Profoundly Significant' Move
Moai held at Chile's national museum since 1878 to rejoin the Rapa Nui on Easter Island
- A century and a half after it was removed from Easter Island, a giant moai is about to head home. The 1,500-pound moai statue housed at Chile's National Museum of Natural History since 1878 will next week begin a five-day journey back to Easter Island , a Chilean territory,...
Leftist Millennial Wins
Presidency in Chile
Dec 20, 2021 11:12 AM CST
Leftist Millennial Wins Presidency in Chile
Gabriel Boric, 35, is nation's youngest modern president
- Former leftist student leader Gabriel Boric will be under quick pressure from his youthful supporters to fulfill his promises to remake Chile after the millennial politician scored a historic victory in the country's presidential runoff election, per the AP . Boric spent months traversing Chile, vowing to bring a youth-led...
This Dino Species Has
'Something Never Seen Before'
in case you missed it
Dec 5, 2021 11:40 AM CST
This Dino Species Has 'Something Never Seen Before'
Fossil of dog-sized stegouros shows it had a tail that could slash, slice like an ancient Aztec weapon
- A fossil found in Chile is from a strange-looking dog-sized dinosaur species that had a unique slashing tail weapon, scientists reported Wednesday. Some dinosaurs had spiked tails they could use as stabbing weapons, and others had tails with clubs. The new species, described in a study in the journal
Chileans Vote in Tight,
Polarized Presidential Election
Nov 21, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Chileans Vote in Tight, Polarized Presidential Election
Frontrunners are a conservative and a former protest leader
- Chileans were voting for a new president Sunday following a polarizing campaign in which the leading candidates vowed to chart starkly different paths for the region's most economically advanced country staggered by a recent wave of social unrest. Pre-election polls point to a large number of undecided voters but...
Chile Gets Bad Vaccine News
Apr 19, 2021 4:13 AM CDT
Chile Gets Bad Vaccine News
It's using China's Sinovac, which is not very effective after just the first dose
- China recently revealed that its COVID-19 vaccines aren't all that effective , and that's bad news for Chile, which is using the Chinese Sinovac vaccine. Public health experts say people started getting lax about public health precautions too quickly after just the first dose of the two-dose vaccine started...
Virus Reaches Antarctica,
Completing Its Sweep
Dec 22, 2020 2:54 PM CST
Virus Reaches Antarctica, Completing Its Sweep
36 people at Chilean research station test positive
- The last coronavirus-free continent has reported its first cases. There have now been 36 infections in Antarctica, all tied to a Chilean research base. The cases were uncovered after symptoms began emerging at Base General Bernardo O’Higgins Riquelme; 26 Chilean army members and 10 maintenance workers tested positive. They...
In After Selfie
Without a Mask
Dec 20, 2020 10:45 AM CST
President Turns Himself In After Selfie Without a Mask
Sebastian Pinera is fined $3.5K after photo shows up on social media
- Chile isn't kidding about its mask rules during the pandemic. Anyone caught maskless in a public place can face jail time, as well as a fine. And photos on social media have brought Sebastian Pinera trouble before: one at a pizza party as demonstrators protested inequality, and one in...
To Get to $7B in Gold, They
Have to Wrangle Rare Rodents
Oct 23, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
To Get to $7B in Gold, They Have to Wrangle Rare Rodents
Ed Stoddard at Undark describes the conservation project around Chilean mine
- An effort to pull 3.5 million ounces of gold from a site high in the mountains of northern Chile is expected to cost $860 million—$400,000 of which has already been spent on rodents. A colony of 25 endangered short-haired chinchillas has made a home at the site...
Oct 12, 2020 7:05 PM CDT
Protesters in Mexico: 'We Were Not Discovered'
Demonstrators in several nations mark Columbus Day in the streets
- Mexicans have never had much affection for Cristopher Columbus, and officials were coy about why his statue was removed from the capital's main boulevard before Monday's observances of Columbus Day, which saw protests in several Latin American nations. Unlike in other cities where monuments to the 15th-century explorer...
in case you missed it
Aug 23, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Desperate Mom Sold Honey. Then Came Mel Gibson's Lawyer
Mel Gibson's attorney contacts unemployed Chilean woman for selling 'Miel Gibson' product
- Trying to make ends meet while in coronavirus quarantine has been a struggle for millions around the world, including in Chile, which has had one of the most rigid lockdowns. Yohana Agurto, a Chilean single mom of four who hasn't been teaching during the pandemic, was desperate to bring...
Explosives Go Off
on Women's Day
Mar 8, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
Explosives Go Off on Women's Day
'They kill us, they rape us and nobody does anything,' chant women in Chile
- From the streets of Manila to a school in East London, people around the world marked International Women’s Day on Sunday with calls to end exploitation and increase equality. But tensions marred some celebrations, with police arresting demonstrators at a rally in Kyrgyzstan and separatists detonating a bomb during...
'Incalculable' Damage After
Truck Hits Easter Island Statue
Mar 7, 2020 6:30 AM CST
'Incalculable' Damage After Truck Hits Easter Island Statue
The unmanned vehicle was parked, but the brake apparently failed
- For the Rapa Nui, the iconic moai statues of Easter Island are "sacred structures," Camilo Rapu, the head of the indigenous community there, tells CNN . That's why what went down in the Chilean territory Sunday has the locals distressed and wondering how to better protect the famous...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Daryl Hall Accuses John Oates of the 'Ultimate' Betrayal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.