Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bloomberg Plans to Make
Enormous Donation to Charity
Apr 24, 2023 2:44 PM CDT
Bloomberg Plans to Make Enormous Donation to Charity
He plans to leave his company to his Bloomberg Philanthropies charity
- Bloomberg LP has confirmed that billionaire founder Michael Bloomberg plans to leave the company to his charity when he dies—or possibly sooner. The media and financial information company accounts for most of Bloomberg's estimated $94.5 billion fortune and the donation "could end up becoming the largest...
to Dems After
San Fran Vote
Feb 22, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Bloomberg Issues 'Dire Warning' to Dems After San Fran Vote
Ex-NYC mayor says midterms will be a 'wipeout' for Democrats unless they shift to more moderate path
- Three liberal members of San Francisco's city school board were booted last week, and while some say not to read too much into one local vote, others are concerned that the special election could be a "bellwether" of sorts for nationwide politics. In that latter camp is Michael...
Man Allegedly Asked
for Bloomberg Daughters
Feb 5, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Man Allegedly Asked for Bloomberg Daughters Before Abduction
Joseph Beecher accused of kidnapping housekeeper at billionaire's ranch in Colo.
- A man who allegedly kidnapped an employee at the Colorado ranch owned by former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg at first asked her where the billionaire's daughters were and later went on rants about Bloomberg, saying he wanted to "make an international scene" with him or his...
Prince William: Help Save
Earth, Win a $1.3M Prize
Oct 8, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
Prince William: Help Save Earth, Win a $1.3M Prize
5 Earthshot awards will be given out each year until 2030 in quest to 'fix our planet'
- Prince William has joined forces with Sir David Attenborough to launch a new environmental award Thursday, the Earthshot Prize, which has grand ambitions to "incentivize change and help to repair our planet over the next 10 years." The prize takes its inspiration from the "moon shot" challenge...
Bloomberg Helps Cover Fines
So Florida Felons Can Vote
Sep 22, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
Bloomberg Helps Cover Fines So Florida Felons Can Vote
He raises $16M, enough for 32K to get back on the voter rolls
- Earlier this month, a federal court made it harder for felons in Florida to vote by upholding a law that stipulates they must first pay any outstanding fees or fines on their record. Now billionaire Michael Bloomberg is trying to make sure they can get to the polls after all....
Bloomberg: Here, Joe,
Have $100M for Florida
Sep 13, 2020 9:27 AM CDT
Bloomberg: Here, Joe, Have $100M for Florida
Billionaire putting money where his mouth is in Sunshine State, freeing resources elsewhere
- Remember when Mike Bloomberg ran for president for like six seconds, spent a fortune, then dropped out, and endorsed Joe Biden ? He's now putting a considerable amount of money where his mouth is when it's coming down to crunch time for Team Biden: Announcing Sunday that "...
Spending Figures Are In
Apr 21, 2020 11:54 AM CDT
Bloomberg's Campaign Spending Figures Are In
His campaign spent over $1B, or $18M per delegate won
- Michael Bloomberg's short presidential campaign was pricey to say the least. According to a Federal Election Commission filing , the former New York City mayor poured $1.05 billion into a campaign that lasted just over three months and employed 2,400 staff, some of whom are now suing . That...
Lays Everyone Off
Mar 23, 2020 6:00 PM CDT
Staffer Sues After Bloomberg Lays Everyone Off
Donna Wood files proposed class-action suit
- Michael Bloomberg, from candidate to defendant? Maybe. Bloomberg had reportedly planned to pay presidential campaign staffers through the November election regardless of whether he made it to the finish line. The now-former candidate changed course on Friday, with the
New York Times
reporting that in lieu of that plan and...
Bloomberg Shells Out
Mar 12, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Bloomberg Shells Out Another $500K
He donates $500K to group registering Latino voters
- "We need to make sure that Latinos who are eligible to vote are registered and we get them to the polls," Mike Bloomberg said Thursday in announcing a $500,000 donation to the effort. The billionaire said the money would go to Voto Latino, a group co-founded by...
Mar 6, 2020 1:08 PM CST
Brian Williams Makes an Enormous Math Goof
He apologizes after repeating claim that Bloomberg could have given each American $1M
- "Bad math" might be understating it here. MSNBC's Brian Williams had to issue an on-air mea culpa after repeating a wildly incorrect claim about Michael Bloomberg's wealth. In an interview with
New York Times
editorial board member Mara Gay, the pair discussed a popular tweet (since deleted)...
Warren: Yes, I Was Trying
to Take Down Bloomberg
Mar 6, 2020 12:19 PM CST
Warren: Yes, I Was Trying to Take Down Bloomberg
She tells Rachel Maddow she felt billionaire would have lost to Trump
- Elizabeth Warren acknowledges she was out for blood when she went after Michael Bloomberg during Democratic debates last month. During an interview with Rachel Maddow of MSNBC , Maddow noted that analysts were crediting Warren with "tanking" Bloomberg's candidacy with her attacks. "Is that what you were trying...
$500M Later, Bloomberg
Drops Out of 2020 Race
Mar 4, 2020 9:20 AM CST
$500M Later, Bloomberg Drops Out of 2020 Race
That's how much of his own fortune the candidate spent on the race
- Billionaire Mike Bloomberg ended his bid for the Democratic presidential nomination on Wednesday and endorsed Joe Biden. It was a stunning collapse for the former New York City mayor, who set his 2020 hopes on the Super Tuesday states and sank more than $500 million of his own fortune into...
Mar 4, 2020 5:45 AM CST
Takeaways From Super Tuesday
Biden pulls off 'monumental' comeback
- Bernie Sanders won the biggest prize on Super Tuesday —but the wider result was a stunning victory for Joe Biden, who scored wins in at least 9 of the 14 states that voted, including Texas, analysts say. "They don’t call it Super Tuesday for nothing," the...
Selma Churchgoers Turn
Their Backs on Bloomberg
Mar 2, 2020 2:38 AM CST
Selma Churchgoers Turn Their Backs on Bloomberg
He failed to address stop-and-frisk policy in speech at historic black church
- They haven't forgotten "Bloody Sunday" in Selma, Alabama—and they haven't forgotten Michael Bloomberg's policies as mayor of New York, either. At a service in a Selma church Sunday to commemorate the bloody 1965 crackdown on civil rights marchers, some parishioners turned their backs on Bloomberg...
Trump Weighs In
on SC, Bloomberg's
Mar 1, 2020 6:13 AM CST
Trump Weighs In on SC, Bloomberg's 'Joke' Campaign
Bloomberg wasn't on the ballot
- Never mind that Mike Bloomberg wasn't on the ballot in South Carolina, President Trump has weighed in on the results and pronounced his campaign moribund in the wake of Saturday's primary results , reports Fox News . "Sleepy Joe Biden’s victory in the South Carolina Democrat Primary should...
Winners, Losers From
the Democratic Debate
Feb 26, 2020 6:44 AM CST
Winners, Losers From the Democratic Debate
Biden had the good night he needed, analysts say
- Tuesday night's Democratic debate in Charleston, SC, was a raucous affair—so much so that Vox declares chaos to be the only true winner. In the last debate before the state's Saturday primary—and Super Tuesday—candidates desperate for speaking time talked over each other and shouted at...
Sanders Faces Onslaught
in South Carolina Debate
Feb 25, 2020 7:19 PM CST
Sanders Faces Onslaught in South Carolina Debate
7 candidates clashed in fiery debate
- Seven Democrats took part in a fiery debate in South Carolina on Tuesday night—one more than in last week's primary debate. Tom Steyer joined Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Amy Klobuchar, Pete Buttigieg, and Michael Bloomberg in the Charleston debate, co-hosted by CBS News and the Congressional...
Warren Has a Contract
for Bloomberg to Sign
Feb 21, 2020 6:51 AM CST
Warren Has a Contract for Bloomberg to Sign
Document releases former employees from NDAs
- A legal expert has written a contract that Michael Bloomberg can sign to release former Bloomberg employees from nondisclosure agreements—and her name is Elizabeth Warren. The senator, who passed the bar examination in 1976 and has taught law at several universities, unveiled the contract at a CNN town hall...
Bloomberg Warns About
Feb 20, 2020 1:32 PM CST
Bloomberg Warns About Nominating Sanders
Also, former mayor's campaign releases edited debate clip that draws criticism
- The early reviews for Michael Bloomberg's debate performance were not good . As the dust settles, the reviews ... are still not good. "Mike's got to get his legs under him," conceded campaign manager Kevin Sheekey on MSNBC, reports Politico . But in a statement, Sheekey was more upbeat....
Debate Was a Brutal
Night for Bloomberg
Feb 20, 2020 6:40 AM CST
Debate Was a Brutal Night for Bloomberg
Warren praised for standout performance
- Viewers who watched the ninth Democratic presidential debate Wednesday night hoping to see fireworks would not have been disappointed. Anybody hoping for a strong performance from Michael Bloomberg, however, would probably have changed the channel before the end of the first hour. The billionaire made his presidential debate debut in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
David Brooks Posts a Burger Picture, Chaos Ensues
Gross Details Air in Boston College Hazing Case
One of America's Best-Paid CEOs Abruptly Steps Down
Missing Toddler Found in Woods With 2 Furry Protectors
Democratic Senator Indicted on Bribery Charges
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.