Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Red-Flag Gun Laws
Are Gaining Momentum
Aug 24, 2019 4:15 PM CDT
Red-Flag Gun Laws Are Gaining Momentum
It's still early, but studies say they do help
- With bipartisan support in many cases, 17 states and Washington, DC, have now passed "red flag laws" that allow the court-ordered removal of guns from people who are considered to be dangerous. The back-to-back shootings that killed 31 people this month in Texas and Ohio have given new momentum...
Apr 27, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Oliver North: I'm Not Coming Back
The NRA's president says he won't seek a second term
- Retired Lt. Col. Oliver North said Saturday that he will not serve a second term as the president of the National Rifle Association amid inner turmoil in the gun-rights group, the AP reports. In a statement read to members of the group Saturday, North said he believes a committee should...
Judge Cites Home Invasion
in Ruling on Ammo Ban
Mar 30, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Judge Cites Home Invasion in Ruling on Ammo Ban
Federal judge rules on high-capacity ammunition
- High-capacity gun magazines will remain legal in California under a ruling Friday by a federal judge who cited home invasions where a woman used the extra bullets in her weapon to kill an attacker while in two other cases women without additional ammunition ran out of bullets, the AP reports....
Supreme Court Says
No on Bump Stocks
Mar 26, 2019 3:33 PM CDT
Supreme Court Says No on Bump Stocks
The high court refuses to impede the bump-stock ban
- The Supreme Court is so far declining to stop the Trump administration from enforcing its ban on bump stock devices, which allow semi-automatic weapons to fire like machine guns, the AP reports. The ban took effect Tuesday. The administration is in the unusual position of arguing against gun rights groups....
3-D Printed Guns Will
Soon Be Legal
Jul 19, 2018 7:30 PM CDT
3-D Printed Guns Will Soon Be Legal
The US government has settled with a group suing for the right to distribute plans online
- The US government has recently settled a case and it's a win for gun rights advocates who want Americans to be able to print plastic firearms in their own homes. Per CNN , a case filed by a man named Cody Wilson in 2013 sought to secure his right to...
GOP Candidate: I Had
to Shoot My 'Insane' Mom
Jul 18, 2018 6:31 AM CDT
GOP Candidate: I Had to Shoot My 'Insane' Mom
Pro-gun Arizona Senate candidate Bobby Wilson shared the story
- A Republican Arizona state Senate candidate has shocked gun control advocates by sharing details about shooting and killing his mother in apparent self-defense more than 50 years ago. Bobby Wilson, who is running to represent a southern Arizona district, tells the AP that he's not trying to hide anything....
Hits Great, Misses Dull
Who Is America?
Jul 16, 2018 5:08 AM CDT
Hits Great, Misses Dull in
Who Is America?
Reviewers split on Sacha Baron Cohen's latest
- Sacha Baron Cohen is back—and Sarah Palin wasn't the only person he was able to dupe in new series
Who Is America?
, which debuted on Showtime on Sunday night. In the first of seven episodes, the British comedian of
fame meets assorted Americans while posing as conspiracy-obsessed...
Jun 4, 2018 12:03 PM CDT
Contender for Kansas Governor Blasts 'Snowflake Meltdown'
After Kris Kobach appeared in a parade with a machine gun replica on his Jeep
- Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach says the outrage over his appearance in a parade atop a Jeep with a giant replica of a .50-caliber machine gun mounted on the back is "the left trying to attack guns" and the Second Amendment, the AP reports. A pastor who was...
in Single Day
May 13, 2018 9:35 AM CDT
Governor Angers Libs, Conservatives in Single Day
Mary Fallin vetoed one bill and signed another
- With two swoops of a pen, Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin managed to enrage liberals and conservatives on the same day. First off, the Republican signed a bill allowing faith-based groups to deny adoption placement to anyone who defies their beliefs, the
reports. Gay rights advocates say this will...
8th-Grader Banned From
Wearing Pro-Gun Shirts Sues
Apr 26, 2018 12:39 AM CDT
8th-Grader Banned From Wearing Pro-Gun Shirts Sues
Lawsuit calls policy unconstitutional
- An eighth-grade student has filed a federal lawsuit accusing his northern Nevada school district of violating his First Amendment rights by telling him his pro-gun T-shirt violates the district's dress code. The suit filed in US District Court in Reno alleges the Washoe County School District policy prohibiting depictions...
South Carolina Bill Would
Allow Secession From US
Apr 7, 2018 4:22 PM CDT
South Carolina Bill Would Allow Secession From US
This time the issue is gun rights
- South Carolina wants to have the option of seceding from the US—again—if it feels the government does anything that goes against the Second Amendment. The Hill reports three Republican legislators in South Carolina introduced a bill Thursday that would let the state debate secession specifically "if the...
Feb 22, 2018 2:33 PM CST
NRA: 'Harden Our Schools,' Fear 'Socialist' Democrats
NRA breaks silence after Parkland, targets media, gun-control advocates
- "Many in legacy media love mass shootings," NBC News quotes NRA spokesperson Dana Loesch as saying Thursday at the Conservative Political Action Conference. "You love the ratings. Crying white mothers are ratings gold." A week after 17 people were killed at a school shooting in...
We Shouldn't Let Young Men
Own Semiautomatic Rifles
Feb 18, 2018 2:27 PM CST
We Shouldn't Let Young Men Own Semiautomatic Rifles
Columnist Ross Douthat thinks the right to own certain weapons should be phased in with age
- Conservative columnist Ross Douthat supports the right of individuals to own weapons, but last week's massacre in Florida has him floating a specific compromise on gun control. In a
New York Times
op-ed, Douthat suggests limiting the rights of young people to own semiautomatic rifles such as the AR-15....
Oct 3, 2017 11:20 AM CDT
2 Musicians at Vegas Show Voice New Fears
Jason Aldean is afraid to raise kids now; Caleb Keeter changes mind on gun control
- The singer who was performing when the shooting began in Las Vegas says he can't comprehend the violence of Sunday night. "Something has changed in this country and in this world lately that is scary to see," wrote Jason Aldean on Instagram . "This world is becoming...
At Georgia Colleges,
Guns OK in All but
Most 'Sensitive Places'
May 5, 2017 1:00 AM CDT
At Georgia Colleges, Guns OK in All but Most 'Sensitive Places'
Gov. Deal wanted certain areas excluded
- Gov. Nathan Deal signed legislation Thursday allowing people with permits to carry concealed handguns on Georgia's public college campuses, despite the objections of state university leaders and his own veto of a campus-carry measure last year. Deal shocked fellow Republicans with strenuous objections to guns on campus in last...
Measure Is Reversed
Mar 1, 2017 12:59 PM CST
Obama Gun-Control Measure Is Reversed
It would have affected about 75K people with mental illnesses
- President Trump has undone one of his predecessor's final executive actions, a measure designed to make it harder for the mentally ill to own guns. The issue is a little more complicated than the usual gun-control debate, however: This time, both the NRA and the ACLU opposed the measure....
People Are Furious Over Guy's
'Black Rifles Matter' Sign
Sep 13, 2016 10:40 AM CDT
People Are Furious Over Guy's 'Black Rifles Matter' Sign
Creator says Black Lives Matter should be 'flattered'
- A Maine town's chamber of commerce has been receiving complaints from tourists regarding a large, hand-painted sign on a private lawn that reads "Black Rifles Matter," reports the AP . Linc Sample, the sign's creator, tells NECN that his work in Boothbay Harbor is about gun rights,...
Ruling in Case That Broke Clarence Thomas' Silence
Jun 27, 2016 1:02 PM CDT
Ruling in Case That Broke Clarence Thomas' Silence
SCOTUS declines to open gun access for misdemeanor domestic violence
- Clarence Thomas broke a decade of silence when the case was being heard, and now, a ruling: The Supreme Court on Monday ruled that even those convicted of reckless, rather than intentional, domestic abuse can be denied gun-ownership rights under a federal ban. The case involved two Maine men who...
Trump May Be
GOP, NRA on
Jun 15, 2016 6:18 PM CDT
Trump May Be Breaking With GOP, NRA on Gun Control
He wants to talk about keeping people on terror watch lists from buying guns
- Someone check Hell for ice cubes because it appears Donald Trump has broken with the GOP to side with Hillary Clinton and the Democrats. The
reports Trump is seeking to meet with the NRA about keeping people on terror watch lists from buying guns. “If Con Man Don...
Dec 13, 2015 5:00 PM CST
'Mass Farting' Meets Fake Gun Massacre
Protesters take to the streets in Austin, Texas
- The gun-rights debate has apparently boiled down to a fake mass shooting and machines that spit out fart noises. It all happened Saturday in Austin, Texas, where pro-gun activists staged a mock gun-massacre at a church and anti-gun protesters countered with what they called a "mass farting," the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Declares Florida Abortion Law Unconstitutional
Supreme Court Puts a Big Case on Next Term's Docket
Suspect in Star Cyclist's Murder Is Caught
Mom of Hospital Escapee: 'Terrified for the Community'
Howard Stern Selects His Presidential Running Mate
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.