Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
CDC Says Pandemic Caused
Rise in Superbug Infections
Jul 13, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
CDC Says Pandemic Caused Rise in Superbug Infections
Overprescribed antibiotics and overburdened health-care system to blame
- Superbugs got an unfortunate boost during the pandemic. Per Reuters, the bad news comes in a recent CDC report, which says antimicrobial-resistant bacteria killed 15% more people in 2020 compared to 2019. It's a reversal of what was a good trend, as deaths from superbugs had fallen since 2012....
2 US Cities
Jul 23, 2021 7:25 AM CDT
Superbug Fungus Spreading in 2 US Cities
CDC says drug-resistant 'Candida auris' is moving from person to person in Dallas and DC
- US health officials said Thursday they now have evidence of an untreatable fungus spreading in two hospitals and a nursing home, per the AP . The "superbug" outbreaks were reported in a Washington, DC, nursing home and at two Dallas-area hospitals, the CDC reported. A handful of the patients had...
On an Isolated Island Beach,
Researchers Find Superbug
Mar 16, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
On an Isolated Island Beach, Researchers Find Superbug
Researchers suspect global warming has helped organism jump to humans
- For the first time, a drug-resistant hospital superbug has been found in the wild—on an isolated beach in the Andaman Islands. The organism has been in hospitals for about a decade, but its origin remains "a medical mystery," said Dr. Arturo Casadevall of Johns Hopkins, who wrote...
A Powerful New Antibiotic
Is Found in a Novel Way
Feb 21, 2020 10:30 AM CST
A Powerful New Antibiotic Is Found in a Novel Way
MIT researchers use artificial intelligence and report a breakthrough
- The rise of superbugs means the world needs powerful new antibiotics. A team at MIT says it has just made a major breakthrough using artificial intelligence for the first time. They discovered a compound that looks able to conquer some of the most dangerous bacteria in existence, including some that...
Nov 13, 2019 6:15 PM CST
Drug-Resistant Germ Threat Is Worsening, Puzzling: CDC
Trends are more worrisome, and scientists lack answers
- Drug-resistant germs have long been known to be a serious health threat, but the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now says the problem is worse, and more baffling, than previously thought. Someone in the US contracts an antibiotic-resistant infection every 11 seconds, the
reports, and someone dies...
Superbug Fungus Has Sickened
Hundreds in US, CDC Reports
Apr 8, 2019 6:46 PM CDT
Superbug Fungus Has Sickened Hundreds in US, CDC Reports
Most vulnerable are those with weakened immune systems
- A drug-resistant superbug fungus has sickened nearly 600 people in the US in recent years, half of them in New York, the CDC says. Those with weakened immune systems are the most vulnerable to
; an elderly man infected last year after unrelated surgery died in the hospital, CBS...
STD You May Not Have Heard
of Could Be Next Superbug
Jul 11, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
STD You May Not Have Heard of Could Be Next Superbug
Mycoplasma genitalium can develop resistance to antibiotics if not treated properly
- A little-known sexually transmitted disease carries the potential to become the next superbug. Per the BBC , health officials in the UK have set new guidelines regarding the bacterial infection
or MG, out of fear improper treatment could lead to antibiotic resistance. Huffington Post UK reports the British Association...
Superbugs Are Here
Apr 4, 2018 9:21 AM CDT
CDC: 'Nightmare' Superbugs Are Here
Hunt found more than 200 cases of antibiotic-resistant bacteria last year
- "Nightmare bacteria" with unusual resistance to antibiotics of last resort were found more than 200 times in the US last year in a first-of-a-kind hunt to see how much of a threat these rare cases have become. That's more than health officials expected to find, and the true...
NASA Is Sending a
Superbug Into Space
Feb 17, 2017 7:00 PM CST
NASA Is Sending a Drug-Resistant Superbug Into Space
And that's hopefully less scary than it sounds
- NASA and a biomedicine company are sending a drug-resistant superbug into outer space, where it will be researched aboard the International Space Station. And while Gizmodo notes the plan sounds like "Elon Musk's idea for a science fiction spec he's working on," it will—hopefully—have...
Woman Dies of Superbug
No Antibiotic Could Treat
Jan 13, 2017 5:41 AM CST
Woman Dies of Superbug No Antibiotic Could Treat
Experts are calling it a 'harbinger of future badness'
- This is the kind of case researchers warned about for years: A Nevada woman in her 70s died months ago from an infection that no antibiotic in America could have defeated, according to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report released Thursday. The woman was hospitalized in August last...
Loose in Colorado
Dec 17, 2016 2:04 PM CST
Drug-Resistant Superbug Loose in Colorado
Six recent CRE infections appear to have happened outside hospitals
- "Nightmare" superbugs on the loose in Colorado! That's the alarmist gist of a CDC report published this week. Bacteria known as CRE are resistant to powerful antibiotics and fatal to up to 50% of people infected, Live Science reports. Fortunately, infections in the US had almost entirely been...
Superbugs No Match
for Tasmanian Devil Milk
Oct 23, 2016 6:31 AM CDT
Superbugs No Match for Tasmanian Devil Milk
And that could be good news for humans
- Forget mother's milk, the real good stuff is devil's milk. A study published this month in
has found that Tasmanian devil milk contains certain chemical compounds that could help humans in their battle against drug-resistant bacterial infections. WHO has called so-called superbugs "a fundamental threat...
Uh-Oh: Seagulls Carrying
Jun 24, 2016 9:36 AM CDT
Uh-Oh: Seagulls Carrying Drug-Resistant Superbug
'The good news is we found it; the bad news is, it's here'
- As if the news surrounding the continued emergence of drug-resistant superbugs isn't already dire enough, scientists are now reporting in the
Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy
that seagulls, which thanks to their enormous migratory reach are great vehicles for carrying resistant bacteria to new places, are carrying a dangerous superbug....
Found in US
Could Mean the
End of Antibiotics
May 26, 2016 5:35 PM CDT
Superbug Just Found in US Could Mean the End of Antibiotics
'Routine operations could become deadly; minor infections could become life-threatening'
- The director of the CDC says we're close to living in a "post-antibiotic world" after an antibiotic-resistant superbug was discovered in the US for the first time last month, Reuters reports. “It basically shows us that the end of the road isn’t very far away for...
'Phantom Menace' Superbug
Has Alarming Ability
Dec 4, 2015 5:50 AM CST
'Phantom Menace' Superbug Has Alarming Ability
Antibiotic resistance travels between bacteria
- The latest strains of antibiotic-resistant bacteria to give researchers sleepless nights aren't the most common—or even the most antibiotic-resistant—but they have an ability that could make them a serious danger to public health. They contain enzymes known as "OXA-48-like carbapenemases" that can break down antibiotics and...
Apr 3, 2015 6:00 PM CDT
Cigarette Smoke Makes Superbugs Even Stronger
Bacteria exposed to it become harder to kill
- Superbugs such as MRSA are already bad enough. But it turns out that something can make them even nastier: cigarette smoke. Researchers found that antibiotic-resistant bacteria exposed to the smoke became more aggressive and far more difficult to kill, they explain at Eureka Alert . It's almost as if the...
Superbugs May Be
in the Air: Study
Mar 30, 2015 12:11 PM CDT
Superbugs May Be in the Air: Study
Texas findings 'made me not want to breathe,' says researcher
- Antibiotic-resistant bacteria now infect some 2 million Americans every year, the
reports, and experts have long been aware of the presence of so-called "superbugs" in tainted food and drink. New findings offer an even bleaker picture: We might be inhaling DNA from such bacteria, researcher Phil Smith...
California's Superbug Outbreak Just Got Worse
Mar 5, 2015 7:55 AM CST
California's Superbug Outbreak Just Got Worse
As it emerges that the scope in question was being sold without FDA approval
- The superbug outbreak that killed two people and sickened five more isn't constrained to UCLA's Ronald Reagan Medical Center. Another Los Angeles hospital is now reporting that four patients have been infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria, and the scope that Cedars-Sinai Medical Center believes exposed its patients to carbapenem-resistant...
Will Soon Be Free of
Mar 4, 2015 2:00 PM CST
McDonald's Chicken Will Soon Be Free of Human Antibiotics
Move could help fight drug-resistant superbugs
- As experts warn of the growing threat of antibiotic-resistant "superbugs," one culprit is the drugs used to treat farm animals . McDonald's is now taking a step to fix the issue: The restaurant chain's US operation will no longer use chicken that's been treated with human...
Feb 20, 2015 11:35 AM CST
Teen Battling 'Superbug' Was Infected Twice
2 patients at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center have died
- Two of seven patients infected by a "superbug" at an LA hospital have died, and now an 18-year old is battling to keep from being the third. According to the AP , the teen had gone to Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center late last year to undergo a procedure that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.