Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trump Hid a Big Loan
Dec 6, 2022 8:12 AM CST
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President:
$19.8M debt with Daewoo, firm with ties to N. Korea, should've been listed in financial disclosures
- Donald Trump had a foreign creditor he didn't disclose while running for president, with a debt that was quietly paid off a few months after he took office.
has the documents from his Trump Organization, which were obtained by New York Attorney General Letitia James and/ show the...
Household Debt Just Had Its
Biggest Increase Since 2007
Nov 16, 2022 2:23 PM CST
Household Debt Just Had Its Biggest Increase Since 2007
Researchers say credit card, mortgage balances are rising sharply
- During the early days of the pandemic, consumers weren't breaking out their credit cards. Those days are behind us. Household debt is now surging, with credit card balances seeing their biggest rise in more than 20 years in the third quarter of this year, researchers say. The Federal Reserve...
Toledo Plans to Use
$1.6M to Wipe Out $240M
in Medical Debt
Nov 14, 2022 1:17 PM CST
Toledo Plans to Use $1.6M to Wipe Out $240M in Medical Debt
Ohio city is working with nonprofit that buys old debts from hospitals
- "Washington might not have a plan for medical debt relief, but Toledo, Ohio, does," says Dr. Michele Grim, a city council member who led an effort to forgive up to $240 million in medical debt—for a lot less than $240 million. The council has passed a measure...
Portrait of Americans' Finances:
We Owe More Than Ever
Aug 3, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Portrait of Americans' Finances: We Owe More Than Ever
Household debt topped $16T for first time
- Americans owe more money than they ever have before. The New York Federal Reserve on Tuesday shared that household debt increased to $16.15 trillion in the second quarter. It's the first time it's surpassed the $16 trillion mark, and represents a 2%—or $312 billion—rise over...
For First Time
Jun 27, 2022 12:18 PM CDT
For First Time in Century, Russia Defaults on Debt
Moscow blames sanctions, not a lack of money
- Russia disagrees, but the rest of the world is of the opinion that Moscow has defaulted on its foreign debt for the first time since the Bolshevik Revolution more than a century ago. A 30-day grace period on interest payments originally due May 27 expired Sunday, per the AP . That...
His Father's Death Exposed
Family's Fall From Middle Class
Apr 3, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
His Father's Death Exposed Family's Fall From Middle Class
The exact opposite of intergenerational wealth is forcing families out of the middle class
- "Backward mobility" is one term economists use to describe the descent of many middle-class families into "the bottom 50% of Americans who collectively have a negative net worth." That financial trend is the background for Eli Saslow's piece for the
on the "death...
Russia Hasn't Done
This in a Century
Mar 16, 2022 2:07 PM CDT
Russia Hasn't Done This in a Century
Country inches toward a possible default on foreign debt for first time since 1918
- "The last time Russia defaulted on foreign debt, Lenin was in power," reads a headline from Quartz . It's a relevant historical fact as Russia, under heavy sanctions triggered by its invasion of Ukraine, inches toward a default on its foreign debt again, more than a century after...
Back From Homelessness,
Woman Faced $54K Debt
Dec 29, 2021 4:58 PM CST
Back From Homelessness, Woman Faced $54K Debt
Lori Teresa Yearwood writes that the most vulnerable are punished by fines and fees
- When Lori Teresa Yearwood emerged from homelessness, she wasn't immediately stepping back into a life of independence. She was bound by debt, a pile of fines and fees that she'd incurred over the past two years totaling more than $54,000. In clearing that debt, Yearwood writes in...
Schumer on Debt Ceiling Raise:
Americans 'Can Breathe Easy'
Dec 15, 2021 6:20 AM CST
Schumer on Debt Ceiling Raise: Americans 'Can Breathe Easy'
Congress passes $2.5T increase, avoiding default through at least early 2023; most of GOP opposes
- President Biden has a new bill on his desk to sign. The legislation provides for a $2.5 trillion increase in the debt ceiling, bringing that number to $31.4 trillion and avoiding a first-ever federal default right at the Wednesday deadline warned of by Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen, reports...
Debt Crisis for NYC
Taxi Drivers Just Eased
Nov 4, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Debt Crisis for NYC Taxi Drivers Just Eased
Relief deal will see medallion debt reduced to $170K per driver: 'NYT'
- A 14-day hunger strike may have helped rescue New York City's yellow taxi drivers from crushing debt . City officials announced Wednesday that a deal was reached with the largest holder of taxi loans in the city to reduce the amount owing for each owner of a medallion, a city...
'Harebrained Scheme' Involving
Diego Rivera Mural Goes Bust
Jan 13, 2021 11:24 AM CST
'Harebrained Scheme' Involving Diego Rivera Mural Goes Bust
San Francisco Art Institute wants to dump $50M piece to offset debt
- A 1931 mural created by Mexican painter Diego Rivera at the San Francisco Art Institute was supposed to be sold off to knock off much of the school's debt, a decision that outraged many in the local community. "The Making of a Fresco Showing the Building of a...
Nov 11, 2020 8:15 AM CST
Surprising Admission From
Game of Thrones
Jason Momoa says his family was 'starving,' 'completely in debt' after 'GoT' gig ended
- Dothraki warlord Khal Drogo could pillage a village if he was ever down on his luck. Jason Momoa, the actor who played the imposing
Game of Thrones
character, didn't have that option, however, when he suddenly found himself out of work, and out of cash, when Drogo was killed...
Trump Acknowledged a Debt
of $400M. It's Much Higher
Oct 16, 2020 11:54 AM CDT
Trump Acknowledged a Debt of $400M. It's Much Higher
But 'Forbes' also notes he has significant assets and has a net worth of $2.5B
- The subject of President Trump's debt surfaced at his town hall Thursday night, and he didn't deny a figure of $400 million raised by NBC's Savannah Guthrie. "It's a tiny percentage of my net worth," Trump said. "$400 million is a peanut,"...
This State Needs to Put Its
Credit Cards in the Freezer
Jul 28, 2020 2:49 PM CDT
This State Needs to Put Its Credit Cards in the Freezer
Alaska has the most credit card debt in America
- Many people are struggling with money as the pandemic continues, and resorting to plastic has become even more of a crutch. WalletHub looked at all 50 states and the District of Columbia, using TransUnion credit data to review each state's median credit-card balance and monthly credit-card payment, assuming a...
First Big Retailer to Fail
From Virus Files for Bankruptcy
May 4, 2020 6:03 AM CDT
First Big Retailer to Fail From Virus Files for Bankruptcy
J. Crew was already struggling even before the pandemic
- J. Crew was having a tough time even before the pandemic arrived. Now, the
New York Times
says it's the "first major retailer to fall" from the virus, seeking bankruptcy protection to try to stay alive. On Monday, the clothing retailer's parent company, Chinos Holdings, filed to...
$46M in Debt for
Feb 29, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Church Cancels $46M in Debt for 45K Families
Crossroads Church teams up with RIP Medical Debt to abolish debt
- Imagine having all your medical debt paid off, out of the blue. Now imagine a church paying off $46.5 million in said debt for over 45,000 families. That's pretty much the story as Crossroads Church in Cincinnati works with RIP Medical Debt to eliminate debts for residents...
Toss Meals of
$15 Lunch Debt
Nov 13, 2019 1:45 PM CST
Cafeteria Workers Toss Meals of Students With $15 Lunch Debt
The Minnesota incident was caught on video, and the school has apologized
- Students with more than $15 of lunch debt who went through the cafeteria line at Minnesota's Richfield High School had their hot meals taken off their trays, thrown in the trash, and replaced with cold lunches when cafeteria workers saw the amount of debt on their accounts. The incident...
Warren Decries 'Cruel' Policy
on School Lunch Debt
Oct 23, 2019 8:51 AM CDT
Warren Decries 'Cruel' Policy on School Lunch Debt
NJ student worries it will affect his college prospects
- A New Jersey school district with $16,500 in student lunch debt would like to point out that all of its 11,350 students are "provided the lunch of their choice, regardless of whether they have money for it or not." That's not quite what critics are...
Thousands Are About to
Get a $2.7M Letter of 'Love'
in case you missed it
Sep 22, 2019 7:03 AM CDT
Thousands Are About to Get a $2.7M Letter of 'Love'
Dallas-area church raised the funds to pay off medical debt for locals
- Close to 2,400 families in two Texas counties will get a letter this week that will lift their hearts, but also (and more importantly) relieve their wallets. What that note will inform them, per FOX 4 News : that a Dallas-area church has raised enough money—almost $2.7 million...
Student Debt Is the Worst
in These 10 States
Jul 10, 2019 5:47 PM CDT
Student Debt Is the Worst in These 10 States
Going to school in South Dakota could leave you with a big tab by graduation
- One of the "hot-button" issues in the upcoming presidential election is how students will pay for their education, WalletHub notes—and to put things in geographical context, it's analyzed the numbers to see which states have the most and least student debt. The site looked at a dozen...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Vital Mineral Deposit Could Bring Big Change to Nebraska Village
China Has an Innocent Explanation for Its Balloon
The Rock Got the Call 'We Never Want to Get'
Judge Wants Answers After Jan. 6 Defendant Recants Guilt
Pedophile Former Pop Star Released After 8 Years
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.