Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Forever Chemicals Invade
Orcas—and Their Fetuses
Jan 15, 2023 6:00 AM CST
Forever Chemicals Invade Orcas—and Their Fetuses
'We need to think about how this could affect our health,' says researcher
- Researchers say they're "shocked and saddened" to have discovered toxic chemicals, including "forever chemicals," in the bodies of killer whales, including endangered southern resident orcas, whose population decline could be a direct result. Scientists from the University of British Columbia, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, and BC'...
Orcas Keep Damaging Boats,
and Theories Are Interesting
Aug 23, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Orcas Keep Damaging Boats, and Theories Are Interesting
It might be a 'fad,' or a case of young males who like propellers
- The word is out among boaters along the coasts of European countries: Look out for orcas. For more than a year now, killer whales have been regularly causing trouble for boaters near France, Spain, Portugal, and elsewhere, reports NPR . Nobody has been injured, but the same can't be said...
Orcas Can Kill the
Largest Animal on Earth
in case you missed it
Feb 5, 2022 12:35 PM CST
Orcas Can Kill the Largest Animal on Earth
Scientists for the first time witness an orca pod kill a blue whale
- It turns out the largest animal on the planet has a predator. Scientists have confirmed that a pod of orcas was able to kill and eat an adult blue whale, and what they observed was a gruesome scene. Per a paper published in
Marine Mammal Science
, scientists write that three...
Baby Orca Dies Amid
Huge Search for His Mom
Jul 25, 2021 7:30 AM CDT
Baby Orca Dies Amid Huge Search for His Mom
Toa captured hearts in New Zealand
- "Toa passed quickly, surrounded by love, with his last days made as comfortable as possible." Such is the somber conclusion of a story out of New Zealand, where conservationists tried and failed to save the life of a baby orca found separated from his mother. The
Sep 15, 2020 1:49 PM CDT
Orcas Are Acting 'Crazy' Off Spain
'I thought they could capsize the boat'
- Orcas are curious mammals who sometimes play with boats. But playing doesn’t quite describe what endangered pods have been doing in the Strait of Gibraltar, a major shipping route, this summer. Boaters say hard-hitting whales have spun their vessels up to 180 degrees and caused extensive damage. For more...
Out of Mama Orca's
Tragedy, New Joy
Sep 7, 2020 1:23 AM CDT
Out of Mama Orca's Tragedy, New Joy
J35, who carried her dead calf for 17 days in 2018, has a new calf
- Tahlequah—or J35, as she is also known—the orca who heartbreakingly carried her dead calf for 17 days in 2018 , is a mom once again. She was discovered to be pregnant in July, and gave birth Friday. Researchers say the new calf appears to be "healthy and precocious"...
A Glimmer of Hope for Orca
Who Carried Dead Calf
Jul 28, 2020 8:31 AM CDT
A Glimmer of Hope for Orca Who Carried Dead Calf
Tahlequah is pregnant again, though it's too soon to celebrate
- The orca who carried the body of her dead calf for 17 days over 1,000 miles may get another shot at motherhood. Tahlequah was found to be pregnant during a recent study of the body condition of critically endangered southern resident orcas off the Northwest coast. John Durban of...
In the World of Orcas,
Grandmothers Are Key
Dec 10, 2019 8:37 AM CST
In the World of Orcas, Grandmothers Are Key
They help calves survive, especially when food is scarce, says new study
- Researchers studying killer whales have made a discovery unusual in the animal kingdom: Grandmothers rock. That is, older female orcas make a big difference when it comes to the survival of their grandchild calves, according to the study in the
Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
. Orcas are one...
Happy News for a Clan
of Endangered Whales
Jul 9, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
Happy News for a Clan of Endangered Whales
Researchers say baby orca around Puget Sound is a girl
- Researchers watching a clan of endangered whales that visit the waters off Washington state saw a welcome sight last week: a baby female calf. The Center for Whale Research already knew of the orca calf's birth in May, but the sighting in July revealed its gender, along with confirmation...
SeaWorld Just Lost
Jan 28, 2019 6:00 PM CST
SeaWorld Just Lost Another Orca
Kayla, 30, died after a brief illness at the theme park's Orlando location
- A 30-year-old orca died Monday at SeaWorld's Orlando park after a brief illness, company officials say. A cause of death won't be known until a post-mortem examination is conducted, per SeaWorld. Kayla began showing signs of discomfort on Saturday, and veterinarians began treating her based on what they...
Months After a Sad Loss,
New Hope for Orcas
Jan 18, 2019 8:58 AM CST
Months After a Sad Loss, New Hope for Orcas
A calf arrives, though odds of survival aren't good
- Welcome L124 or "Lucky"—a new calf spotted among the struggling southern resident orca population. The 75th member of the group, perhaps up to a month old, appears happy and healthy following its first sighting at the north end of Puget Sound in Washington state on Jan. 11,...
Nov 13, 2018 2:22 AM CST
Illegal Russian 'Whale Jail' Investigated
Dozens of orcas, belugas seen in cramped pens
- Some of the world's most majestic creatures are being kept in cramped conditions in an illegal "whale jail" in Russia, activists say. Prosecutors in the city of Vladivostok in Russia's Far East opened an investigation after drone video was released showing dozens of beluga whales and orcas...
Study Gives Bleakest of
Outlooks for Killer Whales
Sep 28, 2018 9:31 AM CDT
Study Gives Bleakest of Outlooks for Killer Whales
Study finds extremely high levels of PCBs in some orcas
- It's less killer whale and more killed whales, at least according to a new study that found at least half the world's orcas could be taken down by ocean pollution in just a few decades. The culprit: highly toxic polychlorinated biphenyls, or PCBs. "Despite a near-global ban...
Grieving Mother Orca Finally
Lets Go of Dead Calf
Aug 12, 2018 4:00 PM CDT
Grieving Mother Orca Finally Lets Go of Dead Calf
Tahlequah is believed to have carried her offspring's body for 17 days over 1,000 miles
- The orca mom that carried the limp body of her dead calf for weeks , attracting worldwide attention for what many see as an undeniable expression of grief, has finally moved on. Per the
, Tahlequah dropped her offspring's decomposing body after going to great lengths to hold onto...
'I Can't Believe' She Is
Still Carrying Her Dead Calf
Aug 9, 2018 9:00 AM CDT
'I Can't Believe' She Is Still Carrying Her Dead Calf
Worried another orca, J50, has days to live, officials may intervene
- Scientists have been unable to determine how an endangered orca calf died because—as of Wednesday, 16 days later—its mother still won't let it go. "I am sobbing ... absolutely shocked and heartbroken," researcher Deborah Giles tells the
. "I can't believe she is...
Orca Mourning Her Calf
Gets Some Relief
Aug 3, 2018 7:19 AM CDT
Orca Mourning Her Calf Gets Some Relief
Orcas are taking turns carrying corpse into 10th day
- An orca who spent more than a week carrying her calf following its July 24 death now has some help. Other orcas in the pod swimming through Pacific Northwest waters near the US-Canada border are taking turns carrying the corpse after the effort caused the 20-year-old mother known as J35...
A Week Later, Orca Keeps
Diving to Retrieve Dead Calf
Jul 31, 2018 7:54 AM CDT
A Week Later, Orca Keeps Diving to Retrieve Dead Calf
Update given on J35 as of Monday afternoon
- An endangered orca that spends time in Pacific Northwest waters is still carrying the corpse of her calf one week after it died. Experts with the Whale Museum on San Juan Island have been monitoring the 20-year-old whale, known as J35, since her calf died shortly after birth Tuesday. Jenny...
A 'Gut-Wrenching' Mother's
Grief in the Puget Sound
Jul 27, 2018 12:45 PM CDT
A 'Gut-Wrenching' Mother's Grief in the Puget Sound
Orca won't let go of her calf, who died shortly after being born Tuesday off the Washington coast
- What's being described as a "gut-wrenching" scene is playing out in Puget Sound, and it's been going on for at least three days. The
reports on J35, an orca who gave birth on Tuesday only to witness her calf die 30 minutes later—and she'...
'Soul' of the
Is Dying of
in case you missed it
Jul 14, 2018 10:30 AM CDT
'Soul' of the Pacific NW Is Dying of Starvation
Killer whales are succumbing to a variety of factors, including pollution and lack of Chinook salmon
- "I believe we have orcas in our soul in this state." Those were the words of Washington Gov. Jay Inslee earlier this year after forming the Southern Resident Orca Task Force , an initiative meant to keep endangered killer whales alive in the region. Contributing to their extinction there,...
Behavior in Orcas
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 25, 2018 8:01 PM CDT
Never-Before-Seen Behavior in Orcas Surprises Scientists
Researchers see the first known case of infanticide among killer whales
- Scientists have observed a behavior never before seen in killer whales, and it makes for a grim discovery. Following strange calls from orcas off the northeastern coast of British Columbia's Vancouver Island in December, researchers observed the first known case of infanticide among the whales. After tracking down the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Admits Horrific Murder of Classmate, 13
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
Musk Is Worried About Himself. So Is His Mom
Western New York Jolted Awake: 'Felt Like a Car Hit My House
Chris Brown Didn't Take His Grammy Loss Well
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.