Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Refuses to Wear
Sep 22, 2022 12:15 PM CDT
Amanpour Refuses to Wear Headscarf, Loses Major Interview
Journalist says she 'politely' shot down request from Iranian president because she's on US soil
- Christiane Amanpour was all set to interview the Iranian president in New York on Wednesday when an aide to Ebrahim Raisi asked her to wear a headscarf. "I politely declined," the acclaimed journalist writes in a Twitter thread . "We are in New York, where there is no...
Jun 15, 2021 6:51 AM CDT
CNN Anchor Christiane Amanpour Reveals Diagnosis
Decorated reporter is 'confident' in her long-term prognosis for ovarian cancer
- In what she says is "mostly ... a shoutout to early diagnosis," veteran journalist and war correspondent Christiane Amanpour revealed Monday she has ovarian cancer. The CNN anchor, 63, told viewers she had major surgery, which was successful, and is now undergoing chemotherapy, NBC News reports. She said she...
PBS Names Replacement
for Charlie Rose
Dec 5, 2017 2:00 AM CST
PBS Names Replacement for Charlie Rose
Christiane Amanpour's CNN show will be repackaged
- PBS is welcoming Christiane Amanpour, CNN's chief international correspondent, as an interim replacement for Charlie Rose, who was fired by both CBS and PBS last month after being accused of sexual harassment by multiple women.
Amanpour on PBS
—a repackaged version of the veteran journalist's show on CNN...
Dec 13, 2011 6:27 PM CST
Amanpour Leaving ABC's
George Stephanopoulos will return to the show
- Sunday morning news junkies will see a big change come Jan. 8: Christiane Amanpour is leaving her gig as host of ABC's
and will be replaced by former host George Stephanopoulos. Amanpour will work on prime-time specials for the network and develop a new show focusing on...
Nov 27, 2011 1:32 PM CST
Colin Powell: Tea Party Candidates Can't Win
But Dems, GOP also too partisan, he tells Christiane Amanpour
- Colin Powell took aim at Tea Party candidates, Democrats, and Republicans alike today in a plea for compromise on Capitol Hill. Speaking on
, the former Bush secretary of state said Tea Party contenders are too hard-line to win next year's presidential election: "The Tea Party point...
Feb 28, 2011 5:11 PM CST
Gadhafi: 'My People Would Die for Me'
Ruler says Libyan demonstrators are al-Qaeda operatives
- In Moammar Gadhafi's Libya, the only protesters are a few al-Qaeda-backed, drug-addled Libyans, the rest of his people love him, and he in fact
step down—and certainly has no intention of doing so. The Libyan leader sat down with ABC's Christiane Amanpour and the BBC's Jeremy Bowen for...
Mubarak: I Want
to Leave but I Can't
Feb 3, 2011 2:04 PM CST
Mubarak: I Want to Leave but I Can't
He tells ABC he fears even worse chaos would ensue
- Hosni Mubarak tells ABC's Christiane Amanpour that he's tired of being president and would like to resign immediately, but fears Egypt would sink into even worse chaos if he did. Other early highlights from the interview:
On the violence:
He insists his government isn't responsible and blames the Muslim Brotherhood.
Aug 1, 2010 12:19 PM CDT
's the Same
Former CNN correspondent moves into ABC host chair
- Christiane Amanpour made her much-debated move into the host's chair at ABC's
today, replacing George Stephanopoulos and a parade of interim fill-ins, and critics agree: The show feels essentially the same.
Besides some cosmetic tweaking, the highest-profile change was "a new face who fit with Amanpour's goal
Is Amanpour Too
Mar 25, 2010 4:29 AM CDT
Is Amanpour Too Brunette for TV Critics?
Or is she too Persian?
- The controversy about Christiane Amanpour taking over ABC's
shows people can't deal with a brunette anchorwoman in a sea of blondes, Alex Pareene writes in Gawker .
critic Tom Shales has been cracking jokes about Amanpour's bad hair. Pareene retorts that it "seems pretty normal—besides,...
Mar 19, 2010 11:20 AM CDT
Move Risky for ABC, Amanpour
Foreign correspondent is odd fit for DC-centric This Week
- Christiane Amanpour isn't an obvious choice to host ABC’s Sunday gabfest
, but the network is confident in its choice. ABC says “Interviews and analysis about domestic politics and policies” will remain the show's focus, with the addition of an “international perspective.” Counting on a...
Mar 18, 2010 3:09 PM CDT
ABC Hires Amanpour for
CNN correspondent switches networks
- Christiane Amanpour has struck a deal with ABC News to become the new host of
in August. Though the CNN foreign correspondent is known for her international reporting, an ABC staffer says Amanpour feels confident about switching to domestic political reporting. She replaces George Stephanopoulos on the Sunday...
Worst-Dressed List Rides Again
Jan 13, 2009 12:29 PM CST
Worst-Dressed List Rides Again
GOP operative Roger Stone picks up celeb fashion no-nos from late Mr Blackwell
- Roger Stone, infamous in political circles for his dirty tricks, is taking his snark to the world of fashion, the
New York Post
reports. Stone—who sports a tattoo of onetime boss Richard Nixon on his back—took it upon himself to fill the void left by the death of...
Nov 6, 2008 12:39 PM CST
Amanpour Gets Own Show, Finally
CNN honchos give in after correspondent raises stink over Zakaria's program
- CNN honchos will “soon” announce that dedicated globetrotter Christiane Amanpour will be getting her own show. “She’s getting her own hour. She was furious after CNN gave Fareed Zakaria his own show on Sunday—especially since it’s all about international affairs, which is her specialty,”...
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
Trump Weighs In on Tyre Nichols Beating
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
Priscilla Presley Fights Trust Document
It's the Most Imaginative Technical Foul of the Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.