Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Death Lyrics in 'American Pie' Not Just About Buddy Holly
Don McLean, still cagey, suggests his father's death is in there, too
- Don McLean has remained famously cagey about the meaning of the lyrics of his 1971 song "American Pie" over the years, though he appears to reveal a bit more than usual in an interview with the
. He recounts how at the age of 15, he had a premonition...
Don McLean Slams UCLA 'Morons' Over Award Fiasco
Singer blasts university after honor is announced, then rescinded
- The UCLA Student Alumni Association decided to present Don McLean with the George and Ira Gershwin Award for Lifetime Musical Achievement on May 17 in Los Angeles. But just hours after the 73-year-old singer announced Monday that he would be receiving the award, the honor was rescinded, the
'American Pie' Singer's Wife Describes Alleged Attack
She says the incident went on for 4 hours, 'craziness in his eyes'
- TMZ got a look at the legal documents in the Don McLean domestic violence case , and the gossip site says the "American Pie" singer's wife of 30 years, Pat, was indeed the alleged victim. According to TMZ, Pat says McLean assaulted her for four hours Sunday night...
'American Pie' Singer Charged With Domestic Violence
Don McLean briefly jailed in Maine
- A jail supervisor says "American Pie" singer Don McLean has been arrested on a misdemeanor domestic violence charge in Maine. Cpl. Brad Woll says McLean was arrested and posted $10,000 bail early Monday at the Knox County Jail. The 70-year-old singer-songwriter lives in Camden, Maine. A message left...
Bye-Bye, 'American Pie': Manuscript Sold for $1.2M
Don McLean manuscript and notes scooped up at Christie's auction
- Singer-songwriter Don McLean's original manuscript and notes to "American Pie" have been sold at auction for $1.2 million. McLean offered the wistful anthem that asks, "Do you recall what was revealed the day the music died?" at Christie's today; the 16 pages included the original...
The Best and Worst Karaoke Songs
- For the incoherent drunkards, the friends who get yanked onstage, and all other would-be singers,
offers the best and worst karaoke songs: The Best:
"I Want It That Way," Backstreet Boys: The entire room will be singing with you; getting audience members to admit they like
'American Pie' Singer Recalls His Hero: Buddy Holly
No rock act can top Buddy Holly: Don McLean
- Don McLean is forever linked to Buddy Holly because of his "American Pie" tribute, and he wouldn't have it any other way. Fifty years after Holly's untimely death, McLean calls his song about the "day the music died" the proudest accomplishment of his career. "Long before I...
Born in the USA
Tops Gitmo Torture Charts
Boss' anthem among tunes favored by US interrogators for disorienting prisoners
- The music played at high volume for hours on end by US interrogators to torture prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay spanned all genres. But the military overseers did have a few favorite songs, including:
Born in the USA
, by Bruce Springsteen
, by Don McLean
, by the
Popular on Newser
Before SCOTUS Vote, Democrats Have Request for Pence
Felicity Huffman Has Paid Full Debt to Society
Man Uses Most Unusual Way to Take Down Biden Signs: Cops
10 Best Horror Movies in History
Putin Speaks Out on Trump's Criticism of Biden Family
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.