Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news about racial discrimination today on Newser.com
Stories 21 - 40 |
Walmart Ends Policy
Panned as Racist
Jun 11, 2020 8:05 AM CDT
Walmart Ends Policy Panned as Racist
African-American beauty products won't be locked up anymore
- Walmart says it will no longer lock up African American beauty products, ending a practice viewed as racist. At some Walmart stores, hair and beauty products designed for black people were kept in glass cases accessible only with an employee key, in some cases across the aisle from shelves of...
They Had Every Right to Use
the Gym. He Didn't Think So
May 28, 2020 2:10 PM CDT
They Had Every Right to Use the Gym. He Didn't Think So
White CEO in Minneapolis loses office lease after video shows him calling 911 on black entrepreneurs
- One of the perks of using an office space via WeWork in Minneapolis' MoZaic East complex is that you get to take advantage of the site's amenities, including its gym. But, per the Hill , a group of black entrepreneurs who've owned a business in the building for a...
She Demanded White Server,
Got a Yes 'Without Hesitation'
Mar 6, 2020 9:02 AM CST
She Demanded White Server, Got a Yes 'Without Hesitation'
Olive Garden cans manager after encounter in Evansville, Ind.
- The manager of an Olive Garden in Evansville, Ind., has been fired after consenting to a customer's request that her black server be replaced with a white one. Hostess Amira Donahue, 16, tells WEHT that a white female customer requested hot water during Saturday's dinner rush before demanding...
He Won His Discrimination Suit,
Then Tried to Cash the Check
in case you missed it
Jan 26, 2020 10:15 AM CST
He Won His Discrimination Suit, Then Tried to Cash the Check
'Detroit Free Press' reports on the odd case
- A Detroit man sued his employer for racial discrimination—then ended up suing a bank for the same thing after it allegedly refused to accept his settlement check from the first case, the
Detroit Free Press
reports. In fact, Sauntore Thomas says TCF Bank called police and reported him for...
McDonald's 'Declared War'
on African Americans: Suit
Jan 9, 2020 9:34 AM CST
McDonald's 'Declared War' on African Americans: Suit
It claims racial discrimination turned 'overt' under former CEO
- Two black executives at McDonald's are suing the company they say has "declared war against the African American community." Vicki Guster-Hines and Domineca Neal claim discrimination in their demotions from vice president to senior director positions in Dallas in 2018, per the
. But they also say...
Incident: 20K Free Tix
Nov 21, 2019 7:19 AM CST
Theater's Offer After 'Humiliating' Incident: 20K Free Tix
The AMC in Metairie, La., also fired 3 employees
- Up to 20,000 high schoolers in New Orleans will see the new film
for free after an incident in which a group of women say they were racially profiled at a local theater. NOLA reports more than a dozen members of the 504 Queens, a nonprofit for African...
Suit: School Didn't
Like Teen's Haircut.
Out Came a Sharpie
Aug 21, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Suit: School Didn't Like Teen's Haircut. Out Came a Sharpie
School staffers said Texas teen's fade haircut violated dress code
- A lawsuit against a school district and three white staffers at Texas' Berry Miller Junior High School alleges a dress-code violation ended with a 13-year-old boy being publicly humiliated and subjected to racial discrimination. Per NBC News , Dante Trice and Angela Washington's complaint—which names the Pearland Independent School...
Actress Won't Be
Returning to Her
Lead TV Role
Aug 5, 2019 2:13 AM CDT
Actress Won't Be Returning to Her Lead TV Role
Afton Williamson says she experienced sexual harassment, racial discrimination
- An actress is leaving her lead role on ABC's
, and she says sexual harassment and racial discrimination are to blame. Per the
, Afton Williamson announced Sunday on Instagram that she would not be returning to the cop drama, where she starred as training officer Talia...
Job Ad: 'Preferably Caucasian'
Apr 30, 2019 8:51 AM CDT
Job Ad: 'Preferably Caucasian'
Cynet Systems is in hot water, apologizing profusely over employment ad posted online
- A tech company counting "inclusivity & equality" among its core values is apologizing after one of its job listings requested a "preferably Caucasian" candidate. "How could you POSSIBLY think that's okay?" Florida coder Helena McCabe tweeted to Virginia-based tech recruiting firm Cynet Systems on Saturday, though...
Black Teen: My Ex-Coach
Wrote Text That 'Sickened' Me
Jan 22, 2019 8:03 AM CST
Black Teen: My Ex-Coach Wrote Text That 'Sickened' Me
Camille Sturdivant's suit says she was told she was 'too dark' to dance, faced retaliation for complaining
- What should have been one of the best years of Camille Sturdivant's life turned into one that left her "sickened." That's per a lawsuit the African-American teen has filed against her former Kansas school district, an ex-dance coach there, and others after she says she was...
White Man to Black Neighbor:
'You Don't Live Here'
Dec 25, 2018 12:55 PM CST
White Man to Black Neighbor: 'You Don't Live Here'
Now 'Hallway Harry' has gone viral
- America, meet "Hallway Harry." That's the online moniker for a white New Yorker who's been caught on video verbally confronting his black neighbor, the
New York Times
reports. "What are you doing in my building?" the man asks. "You don't live here. I'...
White Cop Who
Claimed Racial Bias
Aug 1, 2018 11:59 AM CDT
White Cop Who Claimed Racial Bias Gets Payout
The $65K is much less than Michigan's Cleon Brown wanted
- A white Michigan police officer who accused fellow cops of "straight-up racism" will receive a $65,000 settlement, though he's not exactly pleased. Sgt. Cleon Brown, a 19-year veteran with the Hastings Police Department, initially demanded $500,000 from the city in a lawsuit claiming he was subject...
Has Skewed View
Jun 15, 2018 1:43 PM CDT
Suit: Harvard Has Skewed View of Asian-American Applicants
School is accused of unfair admission policies
- Harvard evaluates prospective students based on a number of criteria, including academic achievement, outside activities, and personality characteristics, such as likeability and kindness. But according to an affirmative action lawsuit filed by a group representing Asian-American students, the school consistently scored Asian-American applicants lower than other groups on personal qualities,...
This Is Why You Can't
Get Starbucks This Afternoon
May 29, 2018 9:15 AM CDT
This Is Why You Can't Get Starbucks This Afternoon
All 8K US stores closed as workers take part in training on racial bias
- If you're looking to get your Starbucks fix Tuesday, make a morning run or find somewhere else to get caffeinated. All Starbucks locations—more than 8,000 nationwide—are closing in the afternoon for training to educate its 175,000-plus workers on racial bias, per
. The program is...
Eatery That Asked Patron to
Prepay Now to Pay Him $7.8K
May 2, 2018 8:54 AM CDT
Eatery That Asked Patron to Prepay Now to Pay Him $7.8K
Emile Wickham says his group was racially profiled in Chinese restaurant; tribunal agrees
- A Toronto eatery tried to tell Emile Wickham it was standard operating procedure to ask for prepayment before his meal—but that didn't fly with Wickham, nor with the Canadian tribunal that ruled in his favor in April and awarded him $7,800. Per ABC News , Wickham and three...
Asian-Americans Say They Can
Prove Harvard Discrimination
Apr 5, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Asian-Americans Say They Can Prove Harvard Discrimination
They argue admissions data, 'incriminating emails' show what amounts to racial quota
- A discrimination complaint against Harvard is set for a January trial, but the dozen-plus Asian-Americans accusing the school of unfair admissions policies believe their evidence is so sound there's actually no need for one and would like a judge to decide their case. The Students for Fair Admissions, who...
Suit: Google, YouTube Had
Quotas for 'Diversity Candidates'
Mar 2, 2018 2:41 PM CST
Suit: Google, YouTube Had Quotas for 'Diversity Candidates'
Arne Wilberg says recruiters were discouraged from working to hire white, Asian men
- A former YouTube employee is suing parent company Google, for which he worked for a total of nine years, alleging that he was fired for refusing to adhere to hiring practices that discriminated against white and Asian males. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, Arne Wilberg served as a Google recruiter...
Walmart Sued Over Display
of Black Beauty Products
Jan 29, 2018 11:56 AM CST
Walmart Sued Over Display of Black Beauty Products
Essie Grundy says she felt like a 'criminal' while shopping in California store
- Gloria Allred has a new client: a mom of five who's suing Walmart for racial discrimination over beauty products she says were kept under lock and key. Essie Grundy, who appeared with Allred at a news conference Friday, says she was shopping at a Walmart in Perris, Calif., on...
Flier Booted for Using
Bathroom Sues Delta
Dec 14, 2017 7:16 AM CST
Flier Booted for Using Bathroom Sues Delta
Kima Hamilton alleges racial discrimination
- Eight months after he was kicked off a Delta flight for using the restroom while the plane was taxiing, Kima Hamilton says the color of his skin was a factor. In a federal lawsuit filed in Milwaukee on Tuesday, Hamilton, a 40-year-old black man, says his 35-second venture to the...
Be 'Unsafe' for
Oct 25, 2017 10:15 AM CDT
NAACP: Flying American May Be 'Unsafe' for Black People
Group issues national advisory for travelers
- In a highly unusual move, the NAACP has issued a national advisory warning travelers, particularly African-Americans, that they may face "disrespectful, discriminatory, or unsafe conditions" on American Airlines flights. In what it labels examples of "possible racial bias," the advisory issued Tuesday describes a black man forced...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
More Bad News for Chris Cuomo
After Father's 14-Year Search, Abducted Boy Is Found
Study Finds 'All Our Efforts' on Vaccines Not 'Trash' After All
Brooke Shields Blasts Barbara Walters for 1980 Interview
Finally, Cause of City's 'Stench of Death' Is Revealed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.