Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jury Acquits in Theater
Killing Over Cellphone
Feb 26, 2022 12:20 PM CST
Jury Acquits in Theater Killing Over Cellphone
Chad Oulson was shot to death in argument over cellphone use
- A Florida jury has found a retired police SWAT commander not guilty in a fatal shooting in a movie theater in 2014. Curtis Reeves, 79, had been charged with second-degree murder and aggravated battery, WTVT reports, but the judge had told jurors they could return lesser guilty verdicts, including manslaughter....
RIP to an Iconic
Jan 4, 2022 7:27 AM CST
RIP to an Iconic Mobile Device
BlackBerry is discontinuing service after Tuesday on all of its devices not running on Android software
- If you're still clinging to your older BlackBerry not for nostalgia's sake but for actual functionality, you're out of luck after today. In what multiple outlets are calling the "end of an era," the Canadian company known for its once-ubiquitous mobile devices with thumb-friendly QWERTY...
Sep 5, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Flood Alerts Come Under Question
Weather service realizes it might be overusing the system
- Cellphones across New York and New Jersey pulsed with urgent warnings of catastrophic flooding as the fury of Hurricane Ida's remnants, carrying torrential rains, approached upper New Jersey and New York City on Wednesday. The first alerts of severe weather blared across millions of phones at 8:41 that...
A Flight Landed Safely in
Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Aug 24, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
A Flight Landed Safely in Seattle. Then, an Evacuation
Passenger's cellphone caught on fire on tarmac at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport
- Passengers usually breathe a sigh of relief once their plane touches down on the runway. For an Alaska Airlines flight arriving in Seattle this week, however, an incident
the aircraft had landed triggered an evacuation: a fire in the cargo hold that officials say was caused by a passenger'...
Verizon's Advice on Saving
Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Mar 1, 2021 8:39 AM CST
Verizon's Advice on Saving Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Tweet indirectly suggested turning off 5G, which the company has been heavily promoting
- Just last week, MarketWatch asked: "Will 5G ever live up to the hype?" According to those who spotted now-deleted tweets from Verizon about the much-promoted cellular technology, it looks like the answer, at least for now, is somewhat of a no. The Verge first spotted the company's Sunday...
Christopher Walken Has
a Surprising Confession
in case you missed it
Dec 19, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Christopher Walken Has a Surprising Confession
77-year-old actor says he's never sent a text or email
- Christopher Walken says he doesn't have any moral or philosophical objections to modern communications technology—he just doesn't use it. The 77-year-old actor told Stephen Colbert on
The Late Show
on Monday that he has never owned a computer or sent an email or text message. "Somebody...
Woman Arrested in Odd
Kerfuffle Over Cell Service
Feb 22, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Woman Arrested in Odd Kerfuffle Over Cell Service
Seloni Khetarpal complained after her parents cut off her cellphone service
- An Ohio woman was arrested for calling 911 when her parents cut off her cellphone service, authorities said. Seloni Khetarpal was arrested Feb. 13 by Massillon police and charged with disrupting police services, a fourth-degree felony, the AP reports. Jail records show that Khetarpal, 36, repeatedly called emergency dispatchers because...
Guy Asks Jail Guard to Charge
His Phone, Gets 12 Years
Jan 18, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Guy Asks Jail Guard to Charge His Phone, Gets 12 Years
Willie Nash calls the sentence 'grossly disproportionate to the crime'
- A man arrested on a misdemeanor charge in Mississippi has been sentenced to 12 years for carrying a cellphone in jail, NBC News reports. Willie Nash was found guilty of carrying the contraband in August 2018, and didn't appeal the verdict, but called the sentence "grossly disproportionate to...
New Cameras Have One
Goal: Catch Drivers on Phones
Sep 24, 2019 12:11 PM CDT
New Cameras Have One Goal: Catch Drivers on Phones
Australia's New South Wales may be the first to employ the technology
- Australia's most populous state is trying to get people to put down their phones while driving by rolling out cameras to prosecute distracted motorists. New South Wales Roads Minister Andrew Constance says his is the first jurisdiction in the world to use such technology to punish drivers distracted by...
They Were Flying From
NY to London. Then, Smoke
Jul 5, 2019 6:57 AM CDT
They Were Flying From NY to London. Then, Smoke
Fire on Virgin Atlantic flight may have been caused by phone charger
- Passengers had just settled in for the flight over the ocean from New York to London when they found out they were touching down on the wrong side of the Atlantic: in Boston. The BBC and AP report the Virgin Atlantic plane bound for Heathrow out of JFK was forced...
We're Growing Little Skull
Horns Because of Our Phones
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 23, 2019 3:35 PM CDT
We're Growing Little Skull Horns Because of Our Phones
Peer-reviewed research finds spikes at back of the skull, just above the neck
- It sounds like a crazy tabloid headline—humans are growing little horns in the back of their skulls. Except it comes not from a tabloid but a peer-reviewed study in
. Australian researchers say more people, young ones especially, are showing up with what's known as an "...
Madonna: My Daughter
Doesn't Have My Drive
May 6, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
Madonna: My Daughter Doesn't Have My Drive
The Material Girl talks kids, career in 'Vogue'
- Madonna spoke candidly about her kids during a recent interview with
, saying that she gave her older kids phones at 13—and that was "a mistake" she's not planning to make with her younger kids, including now-13-year-old David, who doesn't yet have a phone. Giving her...
The Suspect Had a Bow
and Arrow. The Victim,
Just His Phone
Mar 14, 2019 9:35 AM CDT
The Suspect Had a Bow and Arrow. The Victim, Just His Phone
Aussie man's device saves him during attack in New South Wales
- Ways you can use your cellphone to keep safe: Set up a list of "in case of emergency" contacts, turn on the "locate my phone" feature so you can be tracked down if you ever go missing, hold your device up like a shield if someone ever goes...
Pope Who Says He's a Tech
'Disaster' Has a New App
Jan 21, 2019 9:08 AM CST
Pope Who Says He's a Tech 'Disaster' Has a New App
'Click to Pray' lets users keep on top of pontiff's prayers, as well as add their own
- First we had a drive-thru for Ash Wednesday ; now there's a Pope Francis-sponsored app for praying. The pontiff who once called himself a techie "disaster" launched "Click to Pray" on Sunday, a six-language app for both Android and iPhone that he hopes will keep Catholic constituents around...
He Wanted to Charge His
Phone. In the Plane's Cockpit
Sep 26, 2018 9:10 AM CDT
He Wanted to Charge His Phone. In the Plane's Cockpit
The man on the IndiGo flight was 'offloaded'
- It's a story that forces
to state the obvious: "Passengers are prohibited from entering the cockpit of a commercial flight." But what's obvious to most apparently wasn't to one man "offloaded" from a plane in India on Monday after police and airline...
Party Takes Tragic Turn as
Teen Tries to Get Phone
Sep 3, 2018 1:00 PM CDT
Party Takes Tragic Turn as Teen Tries to Get Phone
Imogen Roche fell 5 stories off a Manhattan fire escape
- A party in Manhattan turned tragic Sunday night when a 15-year-old girl fell five stories to her death from a fire escape. Authorities say Imogen Roche was trying to get into a locked room through a window of a Tribeca apartment to retrieve her cellphone around 11pm when she slipped...
American With a Cellphone?
This Ruling Affects You
Jun 22, 2018 11:34 AM CDT
American With a Cellphone? This Ruling Affects You
Supreme Court says warrants generally needed to track location data
- It's being described as a landmark decision in favor of privacy: The Supreme Court ruled Friday that the government in most cases needs a warrant to track a person's location by grabbing data from cellphone towers. Chief Justice John Roberts sided with the four liberal-leaning justices and wrote...
Apple May Alter
Like Never Before
Jan 23, 2018 11:46 AM CST
Apple May Alter Phone Lineup Like Never Before
It's rumored to be killing iPhone X before first birthday
- Apple's most expensive iPhone ever might also be its shortest lived. A report from Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities—dubbed "the king of Apple analysts" by Mashable —predicts Apple will end production of the iPhone X after shipping 18 million devices in the first quarter of 2018,...
WH Goes After Staffer, Guest
Phones in 'Security' Push
Jan 4, 2018 10:40 AM CST
WH Goes After Staffer, Guest Phones in 'Security' Push
Employees, guests banned from bringing in personal devices starting next week
- The White House has a new policy banning personal cellphones at work, but aides tell Bloomberg it has nothing to do with unauthorized leaks to the media. Beginning next week, both staffers and guests will be limited to government-issued devices in the West Wing in response to cybersecurity concerns, press...
3 Quotes That Explain Apple's
iPhone Battery Confession
Dec 21, 2017 9:45 AM CST
3 Quotes That Explain Apple's iPhone Battery Confession
It is indeed slowing down older phones
- Apple on Thursday copped to something users have long suspected: It slows down older iPhones. While conspiracy theorists have suggested it was part of a planned obsolescence gambit, Apple says it is, on the contrary, trying to make sure older phones continue to work. The admission came after Geekbench , a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
Lowe's Makes Big Move to Help Workers With Inflation
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.