Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
lost at sea
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Coast Guard Called Off Its
Search. Then, a Lone Life Raft
Oct 28, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
The Coast Guard Called Off Its Search. Then, a Lone Life Raft
Sailor who went missing 2 weeks ago found alive in life raft off coast of Washington state
- On Oct. 12, two fishermen set out from Washington state's Grays Harbor in a 43-foot vessel called Evening, set to return three days later. They never came back, however, and were missing for two weeks—until Thursday, when one of the men, floating in a life raft, was rescued...
Sailor—and His Dog—Survive
2 Months Adrift at Sea
Jul 17, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Sailor—and His Dog—Survive 2 Months Adrift at Sea
Tim Haddock, 51, and Bella consumed rainwater and raw fish
- A 51-year-old Australian sailor kept himself and his dog alive for two months while adrift in the Pacific Ocean, reports 9News . Tim Shaddock and Bella set off from Mexico for French Polynesia three months ago, but a storm one month into the trip damaged the boat and wiped out its...
He Scrawled 'Help' on His Boat.
After 24 Days, Someone Saw It
Jan 20, 2023 11:26 AM CST
He Scrawled 'Help' on His Boat. After 24 Days, Someone Saw It
Elvis Francois survived on ketchup while lost at sea
- At some point during his 24 days lost at sea, Elvis Francois scrawled the world "help" into the hull of his boat. Officials now describe that as key to his rescue, reports the AP . The man from Dominica says he was making repairs to his boat off the island...
Fisherman Rescued After
2 Days Clinging to Buoy
Dec 28, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Fisherman Rescued After 2 Days Clinging to Buoy
'I had [a] second opportunity to face life with different eyes and to be a better man'
- In some ways, Christmas Day was really terrible for Brazilian fisherman David Soares. Then again, he lived to tell the tale and apparently gained a new appreciation for life. Per the BBC , Soares, 43, set off alone on Sunday from Atafona beach, about 200 miles north of Rio de Janeiro....
A Doctor Is Missing at Sea,
but Prosecutors Are Skeptical
Dec 25, 2022 11:01 AM CST
A Doctor Is Missing at Sea, but Prosecutors Are Skeptical
Marvin Moy was facing trial for insurance fraud before his disappearance off Long Island
- Dr. Marvin Moy is missing. Beyond that fact, much is in dispute, writes Michael Wilson in the
New York Times
. Moy is a Manhattan doctor who was facing serious legal trouble before his disappearance at sea in October. Among other things, prosecutors accused him of bribing first-responders and hospital employees...
Take a COVID Test or Jump
Into the Sea. They Jumped
Dec 10, 2022 6:30 AM CST
Take a COVID Test or Jump Into the Sea. They Jumped
'NYT' explores the story of missing Americans Isaac Danian and Shukree Abdul-Rashed
- By the account of the captain of their sailboat, Americans Isaac Danian and Shukree Abdul-Rashed jumped from the boat as they neared the Pacific island of Wallis. A monthslong inquiry by authorities concluded that the captain was telling the truth and that both men were swept out to sea and...
7 Years After He Went
Missing at Sea, No Answers
Sep 6, 2022 3:00 PM CDT
7 Years After He Went Missing at Sea, No Answers
BBC explores the disappearance of American Keith Davis, a fisheries observer
- In 2015, an American marine biologist went missing from a ship hundreds of miles off the coast of Ecuador. No sign of Keith Davis, then 41, has been seen since, and he is presumed dead, writes Rachel Monroe at the BBC . Monroe dug into the case for the Lost at...
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea
in Floating Freezer: Report
Sep 6, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Man Survives 11 Days at Sea in Floating Freezer: Report
'It was a miracle,' says Brazilian fisherman Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues
- After his boat sank, a Brazilian fisherman reportedly survived 11 days in the shark-infested Atlantic Ocean by taking refuge inside a floating freezer. Romualdo Macedo Rodrigues departed on what was supposed to be a three-day fishing trip in early August. But off the coast of northern Brazil, his 23-foot-long wooden...
Man Survives 18 Hours in
Sea Thanks to Lost Toy
Jul 15, 2022 6:19 AM CDT
Man Survives 18 Hours in Sea Thanks to Lost Toy
Half-inflated ball kept North Macedonia man afloat in Aegean Sea
- A North Macedonia man who was swept out to sea off the Greek island of Kassandra managed to survive for 18 hours by clinging to a small inflatable ball that happened to float toward him. The vacationer identified only as Ivan and a friend were declared missing at sea after...
Missing at Sea for 11 Days,
Va. Couple Emerges
Jun 25, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Yanni Nikopoulos, Dale Jones OK after boat hit stormy weather in Atlantic, knocking out radio
- On June 8, Yanni Nikopoulos and Dale Jones set sail from a marina in Hampton, Va., bound for the Azores archipelago in Portugal, then Greece. Five days later, one of Jones' daughters heard from them, and the news wasn't good: They were caught in stormy weather conditions in the...
'It's the Panic
That Kills You.'
So He Didn't Panic
in case you missed it
Feb 27, 2022 7:25 AM CST
'It's the Panic That Kills You.' So He Didn't Panic
Don Cavers, 77, had quite the ordeal in the Caribbean Sea
- Things went from bad to worse to oh-no for a 77-year-old man in the Caribbean Sea in December. But "it's the panic that kills you," says Canadian Don Cavers, and he managed not to panic. Cavers had flown to Colombia the month prior to buy a sailboat,...
Guy Lost at Sea for 29 Days:
'It Was a Nice Break'
Oct 8, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
Guy Lost at Sea for 29 Days: 'It Was a Nice Break'
Livae Nanjikana and a companion floated 250 miles off course
- Being lost at sea for nearly a month wouldn't be most people's idea of a good time, and it probably wasn't for Livae Nanjikana and Junior Qoloni, but it was still a respite of sorts for at least one of them. The
reports the two men...
5 Survivors Got Into the Dinghy,
Then Noticed the Sharks
Aug 22, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
5 Survivors Got Into the Dinghy, Then Noticed the Sharks
Brad Cavanagh tells 'Boston Magazine' of his tragic 1982 journey
- Forty years later, Brad Cavanagh is still trying to process what happened to him on the high seas when he was a 21-year-old sailor. In
, Kevin Koczwara tells the harrowing tale. Cavanagh was one of five people—three men and two women, all crew members—aboard a 58-foot...
Missing Sub Has
72 Hours of Oxygen Left
Apr 22, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Missing Sub Has 72 Hours of Oxygen Left
Oil slicks could instead point to a sign from crew, or disaster aboard KRI Nanggala-402
- The clock is ticking to find an Indonesian Navy sub with 53 people on board, which has now been missing for more than 24 hours . The last contact came around 3am Wednesday as the sub was completing a torpedo drill north of Bali. Officials believe the crew, led by Marine...
After Boy Swept Out to Sea,
Family Offers $50K Reward
Jan 22, 2021 5:10 PM CST
After Boy Swept Out to Sea, Family Offers $50K Reward
Arunay Pruthi, 12, was victim of 'sneaker' wave on Monday in California
- The Coast Guard has given up the search for a 12-year-old boy who was swept out to sea earlier this week, but his family is now offering a $50,000 reward for anyone who can find Arunay Pruthi, reports
. The Fremont boy was at Cowell Ranch State Beach on...
Sea Search Ends
for 8 Troops
Aug 2, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Sea Search Ends for 8 Troops
Amphibious assault vehicle sank off Southern California
- Eight troops missing after their landing craft sank off the Southern California coast during a training exercise are presumed dead, the Marine Corps announced Sunday. The Marines said they had called off the search that started late Thursday afternoon when the amphibious assault vehicle sank with 15 Marines and one...
Death and Rescue:
Group Drifts in
Pacific for 32 Days
Feb 12, 2020 9:02 AM CST
Death and Rescue: Group Drifts in Pacific for 32 Days
4 survived off rainwater, floating coconuts
- A story of death and survival has emerged out of the South Pacific: A group of 12 that departed from Papua New Guinea's Bougainville province on Dec. 22, intending to spend Christmas in the nearby Carteret Islands, never made it. The AFP reports tragedy struck en route when their...
It's Official: She Died at Sea.
Now, Her Husband's Sentencing
May 15, 2019 10:35 AM CDT
It's Official: She Died at Sea. Now, Her Husband's Sentencing
Lewis Bennett to be sentenced amid uncertainty on how exactly Isabella Hellmann died
- The declaration of his wife's presumed death at sea has arrived two years after Lewis Bennett requested it , but under very different circumstances than he might've then imagined. A judge has declared May 14, 2017, as the death date for Isabella Hellmann—who was on a sailing honeymoon...
He Had One of
the 'Loneliest Jobs,'
Then Got Lost at Sea
Sep 24, 2018 6:03 AM CDT
He Had One of the 'Loneliest Jobs,' Then Got Lost at Sea
Indonesian 19-year-old Aldi Novel Adilang survives 49 days adrift
- He thought about jumping into the ocean to end it all, but recalled his parents' advice: pray. And Aldi Novel Adilang, 19, had a Bible with him, so he did. What the Indonesian teen didn't have was much food, paddles, an engine, or a functional anchor, but he survived...
How Hurricane Irma Brought a
Canadian Family Some Closure
Apr 30, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
How Hurricane Irma Brought a Canadian Family Some Closure
Artifacts of Canadian navy pilot who vanished 60 years ago turned up on Florida shore
- When Dick Troy got the news last September, "I almost buckled my knees," he tells the CBC , noting the "eerie feeling" that overtook him. What he was told over the phone by a US reporter: that wreckage from a plane and a parachute harness with the words...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Elusive Tire Slasher Turned Out to Be a Dog
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.