Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Trapped for a Century Above Niagara Falls, Barge Breaks Free
Rusted out scow shifts down-river, but doesn't appear to be in danger of going over
- There's going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, and now there's the possibility of something a little scarier: A barge that's been stuck above Horseshoe Falls for more than a century. A big Halloween storm apparently dislodged the iron dumping scow, which for now has just moved...
Man Survives Being Swept Over Niagara Falls
High water level may have saved man in crisis
- A man "in crisis" jumped into the Niagara River and was swept over Niagara Falls early Tuesday, authorities say—but if it was a suicide attempt, it was not a successful one. The man, who went over Horseshoe Falls, by far the biggest of the three waterfalls at Niagara...
10-Year-Old Boy Falls Over Railing at Niagara Falls
The boy was on vacation with his family
- One family's dream vacation at Niagara Falls turned into a nightmare over the weekend when a 10-year-old boy toppled off a railing and fell into a gorge. Police say the boy was on the Canadian side of the falls when his family decided to take a picture of Horseshoe...
After Black Discharge at Niagara Falls, a $50K Fine
Governor calls the unsightly incident 'inexcusable'
- On July 29, tourists were understandably bummed when stinky black water—a combination of wastewater and sewage— was discharged right next to the Maid of the Mist and Rainbow Bridge docks at scenic Niagara Falls, the
reports. Now, the state of New York is fining the Niagara Falls...
Black Water Shocks Visitors at Niagara Falls
'Dear God, please don't be an oil leak'
- Tourists at Niagara Falls on Saturday were shocked when water at the base of the falls turned black—accompanied by a very bad smell. "The first thing that came to my mind was, 'Dear God, please don't be an oil leak,'" Pat Proctor, an exec...
Daredevil's 'Very Peculiar' Death Leaves Cops Perplexed
For one, they have no idea what happened to Misty the boa constrictor
- "I still have lots of questions," New York State Park Police Detective Sgt. Brian Nisbet tells the
. For one thing, where is Misty the 7-foot-long boa constrictor? Nisbet is investigating the April 19 death of daredevil Kirk Jones, who was in his early 50s. Jones went...
2nd Attempt at Going Over Niagara Kills Daredevil
Police believe Kirk R. Jones was trying to go over it in an inflatable ball
- A Florida man tempted fate twice, and the second time proved his undoing: New York State Park Police on Thursday said the body of Kirk R. Jones of Spring Hill had been recovered from the Niagara River near the mouth of Lake Ontario roughly two weeks earlier. Syracuse.com reports...
Wallenda's Teeth-Hanging Record Broken—by His Wife
Erendira Wallenda performs stunt 300 feet above Niagara Falls
- Those wild Wallendas: Erendira Wallenda, the aerialist wife of Nik Wallenda, successfully hung by her teeth from a helicopter over Niagara Falls on Thursday, pulling off the stunt precisely five years after her husband walked a tight rope over the falls. The 36-year-old mother of three was tethered to a...
White Rainbows Frequent Only 2 Places in the World
Zambia and Kentucky boast monthly displays
- Waterfalls are among the most reliable places to catch a rainbow, but only two on the planet offer up a regular display of its close cousin, the moonbow: Cumberland Falls in Kentucky and Victoria Falls on the Zambia-Zimbabwe border. Also called a white rainbow, a moonbow appears when moonlight (which...
Whee! Niagara Falls Jumps on Zipline Trend
The latest natural wonder to use give Indiana Jones-style flair to tourists
- Niagara Falls is the latest natural wonder to add a zipline, offering honeymooners and everyone else the chance to take a plunge toward churning mist at speeds topping 40mph. The elevated cable rides have evolved from a novel way to explore jungle canopies to almost necessary additions to lure tourists...
Pair Rescued as Boat Teeters Near Edge of Niagara Falls
Only a section of engine kept the boat from drifting
- A man and woman got closer to Niagara Falls than they probably ever wanted on Sunday. The US Coast Guard was called in to rescue the pair from Buffalo after their boat became disabled and drifted "very close" to the Canadian side of the falls, reports the
Niagara Falls 'Dewatering' Could Reveal Secrets
What lurks under American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls?
- Stopping water-flow to part of Niagara Falls may sound extreme, but it will allow workers to replace a pair of 115-year-old pedestrian bridges . The dewatering of two falls that comprise Niagara Falls also will provide insights into how millions of gallons of surging water cut through rock. The falls are...
Officials' Plan: Turn Off Niagara Falls
New York State wants to replace two ailing bridges
- Plan on visiting the US side of Niagara Falls? Better plan ahead, if you want to see actual falls—because New York state officials want to temporarily stop the water from flowing, Discovery reports. They plan to direct water away from Bridal Veil Falls and American Falls, two of three...
Woman Goes Over Niagara Falls
She's feared dead after apparent suicide attempt
- A woman is presumed dead after going over Niagara Falls yesterday in an apparent suicide attempt, reports WIVB . She entered the water about 6pm on the American side of the falls at Prospect Point, and crews have yet to find her. A tourist reportedly caught it on video and turned...
Crying Baby Found Locked in Hotel Safe
Canadian police looking to question family from Brooklyn
- Canadian police are on the lookout for a family from Brooklyn, NY, after their baby was found locked in a safe in a Niagara Falls hotel yesterday morning. The family called staff to a room at the Howard Johnson Hotel to free the infant, who was "alert and crying,...
Unbelievable Feat: Climbing Up Niagara Falls
Part of falls was frozen; the rest barreled past them
- Any fool can go over Niagara Falls in a barrel—and some of them have even survived to tell the tale—but two Canadian ice climbers needed a lot of skill to become the first to go
the falls. On Tuesday, Will Gadd and Sarah Hueniken managed to pick...
Torso Found at Niagara Falls Could Be Missing American
Canadian police classify case as a homicide
- Canadian authorities found a woman's torso floating at the bottom of Niagara Falls last Wednesday, and they suspect it may be a missing American, the AP reports. Police have classified the case as a homicide investigation, and “we are prepared to say that it was a dismemberment,"...
After 21 Years in Coma, Woman Dies at Home
Bernadette Jones' family built a room for her so she could stay near
- An upstate New York woman has died at age of 51 after 21 years in a coma, and the
recounts the story of how her family cared for her—at home—all that time. Bernadette Jones of Niagara Falls descended into the permanent state of unconsciousness after her...
Fleeing Suspect Dies After Plunge Into Niagara Gorge
Cop breaks leg in fall, but rescued short time later
- A suspect is dead and a Niagara police officer injured with a broken leg after a chase led to both men spilling over a stone wall and into the 100-feet-deep Niagara Gorge yesterday afternoon, reports the
. Police aren't saying what led to the incident, but local residents...
US Town Wants Daredevil to Pay Up
Tightrope-walker Nik Wallenda calls it 'disgusting and sad'
- When daredevil Nik Wallenda walked across a wire spanning Niagara Falls, history was made. But the stunt cost tens of thousands of dollars in overtime for policeman and firemen for two towns, one in the US and one in Canada. Wallenda paid for half the bill in both towns, and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Actress to Will Smith: 'I Lost Everything'
'I've Had It!' The Wisconsin Recount Gets Ugly
Mass Shooting Suspect Grins in Mug Shot
Black Voters Sue Trump
Accused Kenosha Shooter Has Unlikely Celeb Pal
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.