Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Biden Turns 80, Experts
Assess Aging Issues
Nov 20, 2022 2:50 PM CST
As Biden Turns 80, Experts Assess Aging Issues
Mental declines aren't a given for people in their 80s, experts say
- The US entered unfamiliar territory Sunday, when President Biden turned 80. The milestone prompted a family brunch at the White House, CNN reports, as well as an uptick in discussion of what the milestone might mean for the president and the nation. Biden has said it's a "legitimate...
Fight Against Aging
Enters a 'Whole New Era'
May 17, 2022 12:09 PM CDT
Fight Against Aging Enters a 'Whole New Era'
Young spinal fluid is seen to improve memory in older mice, per new research
- Researchers are heralding "a whole new era" in the search for Alzheimer's treatments, with a new study suggesting those treatments don't necessarily need to address damage in the brain. Tony Wyss-Coray of Stanford University previously showed infusions of blood from younger animals could reverse the effects of...
Our Brains Stay Sharp
Much Longer Than Thought
Feb 18, 2022 11:00 AM CST
Our Brains Stay Sharp Much Longer Than Thought
Study suggests mental acuity is largely unchanged until about age 60
- Don't let the youngins tell you your brain is slower than molasses. Though plenty of research shows response times slow beginning around the age of 20, that doesn't necessarily support the widely held view that brain processes slow from that age. Indeed, a new study finds this slowing...
Scientists Have Bad News
for Our Plans to Defy Aging
Jun 18, 2021 11:22 AM CDT
Scientists Have Bad News for Our Plans to Defy Aging
Big international study looks at mortality patterns among primates
- You can stop looking for the fountain of youth now. It does not exist, according to new research, which finds it’s likely impossible to slow the rate of aging due to biological constraints. While that might seem like a foregone conclusion, an unprecedented study brought together scientists from 42...
Actress: 40th Birthday
Brought a Hollywood Reality
Apr 12, 2021 7:41 AM CDT
Actress: 40th Birthday Brought a Hollywood Reality
Carrie-Anne Moss was offered role as a grandmother the day after
- It's a well-known complaint in Hollywood that the industry views actresses much differently once they turn 40. Matrix star Carrie-Anne Moss, now 53, says she didn't quite believe it until she herself reached the milestone. "Literally the day after my 40th birthday, I was reading a script...
Try to Hack
Feb 15, 2021 11:06 AM CST
Whiskey Makers Try to Hack Tradition
New processes might eliminate the need for the usual aging process
- Most people want to turn back time. Among whiskey makers, a quest has evolved to speed it up. Last fall, Silicon Valley startup Bespoken Spirits made headlines by raising $2.6 million in seed funding to introduce a rapid-aging process that would nix having to mature whiskey in barrels, which...
This Country Just Saw Its
First-Ever Population Drop
Jan 4, 2021 10:25 AM CST
This Country Just Saw Its First-Ever Population Drop
South Korea had more deaths than births in 2020, and the pandemic likely made things worse
- For the first time ever, South Korea's population has seen a downturn, with the decline likely exacerbated by the pandemic. Census figures reported by Yonhap show a count of 51,829,023 at year's end, a nearly 21,000 drop from 2019, per the
. The population had...
Scientists May Want Your
Dog for Major New Study
Nov 14, 2019 1:20 PM CST
Scientists May Want Your Dog for Major New Study
Researchers looking for 10K dogs to participate in study on aging
- Can old dogs teach us new tricks? Scientists are looking for 10,000 pets for the largest-ever study of aging in canines. And they hope to shed light on human longevity, too, per the AP . The project will collect a pile of pooch data: vet records, DNA samples, gut microbes,...
World's Oldest People?
They're Not That Old
Aug 17, 2019 11:45 AM CDT
World's Oldest People? They're Not That Old
Supercentenarians aren't as common as we think, paper suggests
- Want to grow to a ripe old age? You might have to discard advice given in "oldest person alive" articles that keep cropping up, Vox reports. A new working paper posted online appears to show that most supercentenarians—that is, people who live to 110—are probably exaggerating their...
He's 43 Years Old. He Looks
and Feels Like He's 80
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 2, 2019 6:47 AM CDT
He's 43 Years Old. He Looks and Feels Like He's 80
Nobuaki Nagashima has Werner syndrome, a rare aging disorder Erika Hayasaki examines for Digg
- For Nobuaki Nagashima, whose body started deteriorating when he was in his mid-20s, there's one question that's always at the top of his mind: "Why do I have this disease?" The disease in question is Werner syndrome , or "adult progeria," a rare disorder that causes...
Court Rules Man
Can't Be 49 Again
Dec 3, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Court Rules Man Can't Be 49 Again
The Netherlands' Emile Ratelband is 69, wanted to be legally recognized as 49
- Nice try, Emile Ratelband. A Dutch court has ruled that the 69-year-old must remain 69, rejecting his request to be officially recognized as 49, reports the AP . The motivational speaker's legal gambit drew international attention, but the court in Arnhem wasn't having it. "Mr. Ratelband is at...
Porcini Mushrooms May
Help Keep You Young
Nov 10, 2017 10:29 AM CST
Porcini Mushrooms May Help Keep You Young
Study finds that mushrooms in general are packed with 2 antioxidants
- Hoping to age gracefully? You might consider tossing some porcini mushrooms in the shopping cart. A new study out of Penn State finds that mushrooms in general contain high levels of antioxidants ergothioneine and glutathione, and some varieties are more potent than others. "What we found is that, without...
This Is How Much
People Will Pay to
Ease Their Pain
Aug 15, 2017 5:00 PM CDT
This Is How Much People Will Pay to Ease Their Pain
One takeaway? Wealthy people are willing to pay more to relieve their pain
- Chronic pain can be downright unbearable, and opioids to treat it can be hard to quit. In fact, with opioid addiction claiming more lives than ever, the US is experiencing what President Trump has just called a national emergency . Researchers found that in 2015, one in three Americans took opioid...
Scientists Say They've Just
Reversed Aging in Human Cells
Aug 1, 2017 6:47 AM CDT
Scientists Say They've Just Reversed Aging in Human Cells
Skeptics call the therapy 'snake oil'
- To err is human—our own cells do it all the time. But new research suggests that when it comes to aging, there may be a workaround. Scientists report in the
Journal of the American College of Cardiology
that they triggered cells to produce the protein telomerase, which lengthens the...
Not to Smile
May 11, 2017 6:19 PM CDT
Here's a Reason Not to Smile
It makes you look older, a study finds
- Poker-faced celebs like Victoria Beckham may have figured this out already: smiling makes you look older. A new study out of Canada claims that contrary to the popular belief that a happy grin is a sign of "positive values and youth," researchers found that flashing those pearly whites...
Blood in Umbilical Cord
May Improve Our Memories
Apr 20, 2017 8:32 AM CDT
Blood in Umbilical Cord May Improve Our Memories
Older mice injected with it performed better on maze tests
- Oh, the proverbial fountain of youth. As we age, can we somehow tap into it? Researchers are exploring this in a literal way as they study the effects of blood from human umbilical cords—which is about as young as it gets—on aging mice. Reporting in the journal
What Our Gums
Say About Our
Apr 5, 2017 9:15 PM CDT
What Our Gums Say About Our Overall Health
Having all our teeth is a very good sign
- Don't think your oral health is as important as the health of the rest of your body? Think again. Researchers have turned to 57,000 women over age 55 in the Women's Health Initiative program to conduct the largest study of its kind on the relationship between oral...
Jan 24, 2017 11:34 AM CST
Rare Aging Disease Kills 2nd-Oldest Patient
Canadian Devin Scullion died Sunday at age 20
- Devin Scullion's mother didn't let herself think about her son's high school graduation until the day arrived. Nor did Jamie Madley envision Scullion reaching adulthood until his 18th birthday, when he fulfilled his dream of flying a plane. She was only trying to protect herself: At just...
Restricting Calories Could
Jan 20, 2017 5:08 PM CST
Restricting Calories Could Improve Longevity
At least it does in rhesus macaque monkeys
- Studies on a wide range of species have found that calorie restriction almost always extends lifespan—and this is true in yeast, worms, flies, mice, and more. But whether this applies to primates has been the subject of considerable debate since studies by two highly reputable organizations have reported such...
Startup Bets 'Young Blood,'
Taken Literally, Fights Aging
Jan 17, 2017 8:11 AM CST
Startup Bets 'Young Blood,' Taken Literally, Fights Aging
Clinical trial underway, but you have to pay to play
- If you'd like to fill your veins with the blood of young people, you need only drain your bank account of $8,000. That's right, young blood is now joining the ever-growing ranks of "cures" people are paying for to combat age-related diseases and even aging itself....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Parliament Nears Outlawing Adultery and Insulting President
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.