Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pamela Smart Seeks Release
Dec 7, 2021 3:39 PM CST
Pamela Smart Seeks Release
Other defendants in her husband's 1990 slaying have all been released
- More than three decades after her husband was slain in their New Hampshire home, Pamela Smart has "accepted responsibility for her role in Gregg Smart's murder" and "expressed deep remorse and anguish concerning her conduct," her lawyers say. The claim is included in a new filing...
Trump Has Busy Last
Full Day in Office Planned
Jan 18, 2021 5:01 AM CST
Trump Has Busy Last Full Day in Office Planned
Sources say president will issue around 100 pardons and commutations
- President Trump's pardoning spree will continue until pretty near the bitter end, sources say. Three people familiar with the matter tell CNN that the POTUS will issue somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 pardons and commutations on Tuesday, his last full day in office. He has until noon on...
to Free Myon Burrell
Dec 16, 2020 9:45 AM CST
Minnesota Decides to Free Myon Burrell
The 34-year-old was sentenced to life as a juvenile
- A Black Minnesota man sent to prison for life as a teenager took his first steps of freedom Tuesday to the sound of ringing bells and cheering family members and supporters, hours after a pardons board commuted his sentence in a high-profile murder case. Myon Burrell's prosecution and harsh...
Her Lawyers Got
COVID. Now an
Nov 20, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Her Lawyers Got COVID. Now an Execution Reprieve
Federal judge orders Lisa Montgomery not be put to death before 2021
- Lisa Montgomery is getting a bit of a break. Montgomery was set to be executed on Dec. 8 in Terre Haute, Ind., which would make her the first woman put to death by the federal government in nearly seven decades. But two of her attorneys last week requested a delay...
'Will Do Anything'
to Help Trump
Jul 13, 2020 7:26 AM CDT
Roger Stone 'Will Do Anything' to Help Trump Win Reelection
He'll be campaigning for president, he tells Axios, adding he'll stay within the boundaries of the law
- Now that Roger Stone is once more a free man, Mike Allen of Axios was able to catch up with him for a chat over the phone, and he's got the scoop on Stone's next move: campaigning for President Trump's reelection. The 67-year-old Trump ally says now...
Robert Mueller Has a Point
to Make About Roger Stone
Jul 12, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Robert Mueller Has a Point to Make About Roger Stone
'He remains a convicted felon, and rightly so'
- President Trump handed Roger Stone his Get Out of Jail Free card , and the man who tried to send the former fixer to jail is weighing in on the ensuing brouhaha following Stone's commutation. Writing in the
Washington Post ,
former special counsel Robert Mueller opines that "Stone was...
to Fever Pitch
Jul 11, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Roger Stone Commutation Ups Outrage to Fever Pitch
Mitt Romney calls it 'historic corruption'
- If media pundits could use exclamation points, they surely would. A day after President Trump's commutation of Roger Stone's sentence, words like "outrage" and "unforgivable" are blazing across the media landscape in op-eds, tweets, and TV interviews. To recap, the president commuted the sentence of his...
Mar 24, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
22nd State Abolishes Death Penalty
Colorado governor also commutes sentences of 3 men on death row
- Colorado has become the 22nd state to abolish the death penalty, which it hasn't used since 1997. Forty-four years after capital punishment was reinstated in the Centennial State, Gov. Jared Polis signed a bill Monday banning its use—"consistent with the recognition that the death penalty cannot be,...
Blagojevich Has a Lot
to Say About Trump
Feb 19, 2020 1:47 PM CST
Blagojevich Has a Lot to Say About Trump
Former Illinois governor gushes about the president, calls himself a 'Trumpocrat'
- Rod Blagojevich promised he'd have more to say about the president Wednesday, and true to his word, the former Illinois Democratic governor gushed about Donald Trump after the Republican president commuted his sentence for political corruption, speaking Wednesday at a press event outside his Chicago home that sounded like...
The Public Is
Feb 19, 2020 10:45 AM CST
The Public Is Behind Trump on Blagojevich
Lots of people thought 14 years was excessive, writes Natasha Korecki
- The backlash was swift Tuesday as President Trump commuted Rod Blagojevich's 14-year prison sentence for political corruption. But Politico reporter Natasha Korecki argues the move "isn't crazy." In a Tuesday op-ed, Korecki—who wrote about Blagojevich's case for the
and in a subsequent...
Report: FBI Asking Questions
About Ex-Governor's Pardons
Dec 26, 2019 6:45 AM CST
Report: FBI Asking Questions About Ex-Governor's Pardons
Sources: FBI agent contacted Ky. Rep. Chris Harris on Matt Bevin's controversial pardons
- Members of the general public may not be the only ones wondering about the pardons Matt Bevin issued during his final days as Kentucky's governor. The more than 600 pardons and commutations—including for a convicted child rapist and for a man whose brother and sister-in-law held a fundraiser...
Making a Murderer
Gets Governor's Pardon Answer
Dec 20, 2019 1:08 PM CST
Making a Murderer
's Dassey Gets Governor's Pardon Answer
That would be a no from Wisconsin's Tony Evers
- Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers said Friday he won't consider a pardon request from a man convicted of rape and murder when he was a teenager whose story was documented in the Netflix series
Making a Murderer
. The request from Brendan Dassey doesn't meet the criteria for a pardon...
Why Matt Bevin Pardoned
Child Rapist? Girl's Hymen
Dec 20, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Why Matt Bevin Pardoned Child Rapist? Girl's Hymen
Former Kentucky governor says 'there was zero evidence'
- Former Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin is defending his decision to pardon a convicted child rapist shortly before leaving office on the basis that "there was zero evidence." And by that he means the victim's hymen was intact. In a WHAS radio interview, Bevin discussed the case of...
Sets Free Man
Serving Life for
Child Sex Abuse
Nov 26, 2019 7:33 AM CST
Outgoing Gov Sets Free Man Serving Life for Child Sex Abuse
Ky. Gov. Matt Bevin issued pardon for Paul Donel Hurt in case with questionable recantation
- An outgoing governor issued more than a dozen last-minute pardons late last week, but one in particular is raising eyebrows. Per the
, Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin put out a pardon and commutation order Friday for Paul Donel Hurt, who was serving a life sentence after being convicted in 2001...
Is Nation's Largest
Nov 1, 2019 12:21 AM CDT
Mass Oklahoma Inmate Release Is Nation's Largest
400 inmates expected to leave prison Monday
- More than 400 Oklahoma inmates are expected to walk out of prison Monday in what state officials say is the largest single-day mass commutation in the nation's history. The Oklahoma Pardon and Parole Board is expected to approve the commutations Friday and forward them to Gov. Kevin Stitt, a...
A Break for
Could Be Coming
Aug 8, 2019 7:32 AM CDT
A Break for Rod Blagojevich Could Be Coming
President Trump says commutation is possible
- Rod Blagojevich's daughter will be especially happy to hear this: President Trump said Wednesday he is "very strongly" considering commuting the 14-year sentence for corruption currently being served by Blagojevich, the former Illinois governor. "I thought he was treated unbelievably unfairly … He's been in jail...
Bernie Madoff Asks
Trump for Clemency
Jul 25, 2019 1:48 AM CDT
Bernie Madoff Asks Trump for Clemency
'The very definition of chutzpah'
- Bernie Madoff is now 10 years into his 150-year sentence for orchestrating a $65 billion Ponzi scheme—and the 81-year-old is looking for a way out. Justice Department records show that Madoff has petitioned President Trump to commute his sentence, and the request is listed as "pending," ABC...
For Over 250 Prisoners,
It Really Is Christmas
Dec 25, 2018 5:05 PM CST
For Over 250 Prisoners, It Really Is Christmas
Gov. Brown issues over 250 clemency decisions
- California Gov. Jerry Brown has pardoned five refugees from Cambodia and another immigrant from Honduras who faced the possibility of deportation because of their criminal convictions, the AP reports. The pardons were among more than 250 clemency decisions announced by the governor on Christmas Eve. According to Brown's office,...
Trump's Pardons Are
the Talk of the Town
Jun 7, 2018 2:28 PM CDT
Trump's Pardons Are the Talk of the Town
White House is preparing paperwork for at least 30 more pardons
- After Kim Kardashian West met with President Trump to plead the case of Alice Marie Johnson, a great-grandma jailed for life over a first-time, non-violent drug offense, Trump commuted Johnson's life sentence. Now, Kardashian will meet Johnson for the first time as early as this week, reports TMZ . Getting...
Trump Commutes Sentence of
Great-Grandma Jailed for Life
Jun 6, 2018 1:16 PM CDT
Trump Commutes Sentence of Great-Grandma Jailed for Life
Kim Kardashian had lobbied for Alice Marie Johnson's release
- Just one week after Kim Kardashian met with President Trump to argue the case of a great-grandmother sentenced to life in prison over a first-time drug conviction, the POTUS took action. He granted clemency to Alice Marie Johnson Wednesday, commuting the life sentence of the 63-year-old Tennessee woman who was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
Female Tourist Detained After Giving Nazi Salute at Auschwitz
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.