Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Big Abortion-Rights Victory
in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Aug 5, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Big Abortion-Rights Victory in Ruling Over Texas Ban
Injunction calls to allow for exceptions for serious pregnancy complications, though appeal blocks it
- A Texas judge ruled Friday the state's abortion ban has proven too restrictive for women with serious pregnancy complications and must allow exceptions without doctors fearing the threat of criminal charges. The ruling was the first to undercut Texas' law, one of the most restrictive in the US, since it...
Not Wearing a Condom Could
Be Sexual Assault, Court Rules
Jul 30, 2022 3:15 PM CDT
Not Wearing a Condom Could Be Sexual Assault, Court Rules
Ignoring a partner's request could bring a criminal conviction, Canadian ruling says
- Refusing to wear a condom during sex after being asked to by a partner could be a crime, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled. In a unanimous decision, the court said pretending to use a condom or taking one off before sex without the partner's consent, sometimes called stealthing,...
Makes Unusual Ruling
Jun 6, 2022 11:59 AM CDT
California Judge Makes Unusual Ruling on Bumblebees
Invertebrate insect can be classified as a fish for endangered species protections
- In a case that gives new meaning to "fish out of water," a California appeals court judge has ruled that the bumblebee can be classified as a fish. Justice Ronald Robie of Sacramento's 3rd District Court of Appeal made his decision Tuesday, and it was done for...
Court: Stormy Daniels
Must Pay Trump $300K
Mar 22, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
Court: Stormy Daniels Must Pay Trump $300K
She says she will go to jail before paying a dime
- Stormy Daniels says she'll sit behind bars before she pays Donald Trump's legal fees in her failed defamation suit. "I will go to jail before I pay a penny," the porn star tweeted Monday after a federal appeals court rejected her bid to overturn a lower...
Trump Said 'We,' Judge Notes
in Preserving Jan. 6 Lawsuits
Feb 18, 2022 3:36 PM CST
Trump Said 'We,' Judge Notes in Preserving Jan. 6 Lawsuits
Ruling in conspiracy case says former president's words could be taken as exhorting crowd to act
- Former President Trump's speech at a rally just before rioters attacked the US Capitol sounded like "a call for collective action," a federal judge said Friday in dealing the former president a significant loss in court. The comments were included in US District Judge Amit Mehta's...
Fenn Treasure Hunter
Must Pay for His Rescue
Nov 10, 2021 10:45 AM CST
Fenn Treasure Hunter Must Pay for His Rescue
Appeals court pans Mark Lantis' ill-advised 2018 hunt in Yellowstone
- A man who went in search of Forrest Fenn's famous treasure not only failed to find it but will now have to pay nearly $3,000—the cost of his airlift out of Yellowstone National Park. Wyoming's Mark Lantis—one of thousands enthralled by Fenn's hidden chest,...
Nation Accepts Responsibility
for Journalist's Gang Rape
Oct 19, 2021 1:26 PM CDT
Nation Accepts Responsibility for Journalist's Gang Rape
International court finds Colombia tolerated, if not consented, to 2000 attack on Jineth Bedoya
- Colombian journalist Jineth Bedoya was kidnapped at gunpoint outside a prison in Bogota, where she'd expected to interview an imprisoned paramilitary leader in May 2000. It was the start of 16 hours of torture that would include a gang-rape, reports CBS News . "All I know is that I...
'The Bully Has
Met His Match'
Sep 29, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Omarosa: 'The Bully Has Met His Match'
Ex-White House aide celebrates victory over Trump campaign after NDA is declared void
The nondisclosure agreement Omarosa Manigault Newman signed with the Trump campaign in 2016 is "unenforceable," per a New York arbitrator's Monday decision . T. Andrew Brown found the document requiring the defendant "to never say anything remotely critical of Mr. Trump, his family or his family...
Judge: House Panel Can See
Some Trump Tax Records
Aug 11, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Judge: House Panel Can See Some Trump Tax Records
Ruling allows access on issues related to emoluments clause
- A judge agreed Wednesday that a House committee has a right to see former President Trump's tax records, within limits. US District Judge Amit Mehta in Washington said the House Oversight Committee may subpoena some of the documents from Trump's accounting firm, Mazars. The former president has fought...
2 Holocaust Researchers
Ordered to Apologize
Feb 9, 2021 11:23 AM CST
2 Holocaust Researchers Ordered to Apologize
Polish court sides with woman who accused them of slandering her uncle
- A court in Warsaw ruled Tuesday that two prominent Holocaust researchers must apologize to a woman who claimed her deceased uncle had been slandered in a historical work that suggested he helped kill Jews during World War II. Lawyers for 81-year-old Filomena Leszczynska argued that her uncle was a Polish...
Aug 26, 2020 4:27 PM CDT
Court: This School Policy Violated the Constitution
Judges rule in favor of transgender rights advocates and Gavin Grimm
- A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that a Virginia school board's transgender bathroom ban is unconstitutional and discriminated against a transgender male student who was barred from using the boys bathrooms in his high school, the AP reports. The ruling is a victory for transgender rights advocates and Gavin...
to Court and
Jan 4, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Women Take Porn Company to Court and Win, Bigtime
GirlsDoPorn now owes them about $13 million
- Nearly two dozen women who say they were coerced and tricked into shooting porn videos have won their case in court, Ars Technica reports. On Thursday, a California judge ordered the popular porn site GirlsDoPorn to give $13 million to 22 female plaintiffs—but whether they'll ever see a...
New Ruling Goes
Dec 18, 2019 4:40 PM CST
New Ruling Goes Against Obamacare
Federal appeals court issues a 2-1 ruling
- A federal appeals court says the "individual mandate" of former President Barack Obama’s health care law is invalid, but other parts of the law need further review, the AP reports. Wednesday’s 2-1 ruling was handed down by a three-judge panel of the 5th US Circuit Court of...
State Abortion Ban
Runs Into Federal Court
Dec 14, 2019 3:30 PM CST
State Abortion Ban Runs Into Federal Court
Mississippi had banned abortions at 15 weeks
- A federal appeals court declared Friday that Mississippi's ban on abortion at 15 weeks is unconstitutional, dealing a blow to those seeking to overturn the landmark Supreme Court ruling that legalized abortion nationwide, the AP reports. The 5th US Circuit Court of Appeals said US District Judge Carlton Reeves...
No Rape Convictions for 5 Men:
Victim Was Unconscious
Nov 1, 2019 10:44 AM CDT
No Rape Convictions for 5 Men: Victim Was Unconscious
Lesser sentences lead to outrage in Spain
- There was outrage in Spain on Thursday as five men were sentenced to between 10 and 12 years in prison for sexual abuse in a case involving a 14-year-old girl. As the BBC reports, the court acquitted the men of the more serious charge of sexual aggression, which would've...
Court Backs Driver Who
Gave Police the Finger
Mar 15, 2019 2:34 PM CDT
Court Backs Driver Who Gave Police the Finger
Ruling says the gesture is free speech, though possibly rude
- It may not seem like you're protected at the time, but if you make a gesture to a police officer that means the opposite of "Have a nice day," a federal appeals court has your back. A Michigan police officer pulled a driver over for speeding in...
Court Rules on Weapon Made
Famous by Bruce Lee
Dec 17, 2018 6:30 PM CST
Court Rules on Weapon Made Famous by Bruce Lee
Judge Pamela Chen rules in light of the Second Amendment
- A 1974 New York state ban on nunchucks that was put into place over fears that youth inspired by martial arts movies would create widespread mayhem is unconstitutional under the Second Amendment, a federal court has ruled. Judge Pamela Chen issued her ruling Friday in a Brooklyn federal court on...
State's Last Abortion Clinic
Learns Its Fate
Sep 29, 2018 12:19 PM CDT
State's Last Abortion Clinic Learns Its Fate
US District Judge Greg Stivers Strikes Down Kentucky Law
- In a victory for abortion-rights supporters, a federal judge struck down a Kentucky law that had put the state's last abortion clinic at risk of closing when Gov. Matt Bevin's administration cited it in a licensing fight with the facility, the AP reports. US District Judge Greg Stivers,...
Aug 25, 2018 2:35 PM CDT
Judge Curbs Trump Effort to Overhaul Bureaucracy
US District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson rules against Trump plan
- A federal judge dealt a blow Saturday to President Donald Trump's efforts to "promote more efficient" government, ruling that key provisions of three recent executive orders "undermine federal employees' right to bargain collectively" under federal law, the AP reports. US District Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson also ruled...
Judge Orders ICE to Stop
Detaining Asylum Seekers
Jul 2, 2018 7:00 PM CDT
Judge Orders ICE to Stop Detaining Asylum Seekers
Federal judge says US government is violating its own rules regarding the treatment of people seeking asylum
- A federal judge has determined the US government is violating its own rules regarding the treatment of people seeking asylum. Judge James Boasberg issued a preliminary injunction Monday ordering the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency to stop what opponents called the arbitrary detention of legitimate asylum seekers, per the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
First a 7.6 Magnitude Quake, Now a Tsunami Warning
One Group of Creatives Has Stellar Mental Health
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.