Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Executed in Missouri
May 3, 2022 9:14 PM CDT
Carman Deck Executed in Missouri
It's the country's 5th execution this year
- A Missouri man who killed a couple during a robbery at their rural home more than a quarter of a century ago was put to death Tuesday, becoming just the fifth person executed in the United States this year, the AP reports. Carman Deck, 56, died by injection at the...
Idaho Will Seek
for Lori Vallow
May 3, 2022 7:02 PM CDT
Idaho Will Seek Death Penalty for Lori Vallow
She's charged in murders of her two children, husband's first wife
- Prosecutors in Idaho have confirmed that they will seek the death penalty for Lori Vallow if she is found guilty of any of the first-degree murder or conspiracy to commit first-degree murder charges against her. Vallow and husband Chad Daybell face multiple charges in the deaths of Vallow's two...
Arizona Judge Says 'Law
Enforcement' Not a Profession
Apr 25, 2022 5:39 PM CDT
Arizona Judge Says 'Law Enforcement' Not a Profession
The ruling moves Arizona closer to its first execution since 2014
- "Historically, law enforcement has not been thought of as a ‘profession’ … and has little of the characteristics of what is typically considered a profession," according to Judge Stephen Hopkins of the Maricopa County Superior Court, per NPR . The judge rejected the latest appeal effort by lawyers...
American Citizen Sentenced
to Death in China
Apr 22, 2022 9:06 AM CDT
American Citizen Sentenced to Death in China
Shadeed Abdulmateen convicted of killing girlfriend
- An American man has been sentenced to death in China for fatally stabbing a 21-year-old woman who tried to break off their relationship. Shadeed Abdulmateen was sentenced Thursday after a trial in the Intermediate People’s Court of Ningbo, a city in China’s eastern coastal province of Zhejiang, the...
Texas Executes Its
Oldest Death Row Inmate
Apr 21, 2022 8:40 PM CDT
Texas Executes Its Oldest Death Row Inmate
As Tennessee issues temporary reprieve to an inmate there
- Texas’ oldest death row inmate was executed Thursday for killing a Houston police officer during a traffic stop nearly 32 years ago. Carl Wayne Buntion, 78, was executed at the state penitentiary in Huntsville. He was condemned for the June 1990 fatal shooting of Houston police officer James Irby, a...
In Surprise Move, DA Cancels
Request for Execution
Apr 17, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
In Surprise Move, DA Cancels Request for Execution
Texas judge had already scheduled John Henry Ramirez to die Oct. 5
- Days after a Texas judge signed a death warrant for John Henry Ramirez, another motion was filed with the court—to drop it. Nueces County District Attorney Mark Gonzalez said a staff member sought the warrant without checking with him. Everything was in order, with the execution scheduled for Oct....
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan
Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
Dec 21, 2021 7:38 AM CST
After 2-Year Hiatus, Japan Resumes 'Abhorrent' Practice
3 death-row inmates executed amid continued controversy over how death penalty is carried out
- For two years, Japan hasn't carried out any executions. That changed Tuesday with the hanging of three death-row inmates, reviving outcry from human rights activists on the controversial way in which the country carries out capital punishment. At a presser, Justice Minister Yoshihisa Furukawa cited the "extremely brutal"...
He Escaped Execution in 2018.
3 Years Later, He's Dead
Nov 29, 2021 10:20 AM CST
He Escaped Execution in 2018. 3 Years Later, He's Dead
Doyle Lee Hamm, 64, died of natural causes, with complications from lymphoma, per his lawyer
An Alabama man put on death row for killing a motel clerk in 1987 lived through what his lawyer called a "botched" execution attempt in 2018. A private settlement was reached so that the state wouldn't try to execute Doyle Lee Hamm again, but his reprieve, it...
Man Who Tortured
Family for 8 Hours
Put to Death
Nov 18, 2021 12:10 AM CST
Man Who Tortured Family for 8 Hours Put to Death
David Neal Cox killed his estranged wife and sexually assaulted her daughter
- A man who pleaded guilty to killing his estranged wife and sexually assaulting her young daughter as her mother lay dying was put to death Wednesday evening, becoming the first inmate executed in Mississippi in nine years. David Neal Cox, 50, abandoned all appeals and filed court papers calling himself...
Judge Balks at Retrial
for Death Row's Rodney Reed
Nov 2, 2021 11:23 AM CDT
Judge Balks at Retrial for Death Row's Rodney Reed
More than 20 witnesses implicated another man in 1996 murder in Texas
A Texas judge says a death row inmate backed by celebrities including Kim Kardashian West and Rihanna should not receive a new trial. The judge in Bastrop County said Rodney Reed—sentenced to death for the 1996 murder of a young woman—"has not proven by clear and...
Oct 29, 2021 12:03 AM CDT
At Oklahoma Execution, a Rare Occurrence
John Marion Grant vomited, convulsed as he was being put to death
- Oklahoma administered the death penalty Thursday on a man who convulsed and vomited as he was executed for the 1998 slaying of a prison cafeteria worker, ending a six-year execution moratorium brought on by concerns over its execution methods, the AP reports. John Marion Grant, 60, who was strapped to...
Death Row Inmates
Oct 28, 2021 12:21 AM CDT
2 Oklahoma Death Row Inmates Get Reprieve
Federal appeals court granted stays of execution Wednesday
- A federal appeals court granted stays of execution on Wednesday for two Oklahoma inmates who were scheduled to receive lethal injections in the coming weeks, the AP reports. A three-member panel of the 10th US Circuit Court of Appeals issued the stays for death row inmates John Marion Grant, who...
Plans for 5
Oct 25, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Judge OKs Oklahoma's Plans for 5 Executions
The method is at issue, with other condemned inmates choosing other drugs or firing squad
- A federal judge in Oklahoma ruled Monday that the state can move forward with scheduled lethal injections for five death row inmates, including Julius Jones, whose case has drawn international attention and who is scheduled to die on Nov. 28. Judge Stephen Friot denied a motion for a preliminary injunction...
After a Brief Reprieve,
Alabama Inmate Executed
Oct 22, 2021 1:40 AM CDT
After a Brief Reprieve, Alabama Inmate Executed
Willie B. Smith III was convicted of killing Sharma Ruth Johnson
An Alabama man who avoided execution in February was put to death Thursday for the 1991 killing of a woman who was abducted during a robbery and then shot in a cemetery. Willie B. Smith III, 52, received a lethal injection at a prison in southwest Alabama, the AP...
Man to Be Hanged for Bringing
Bundles of Pot Into Singapore
Oct 12, 2021 5:23 PM CDT
Man to Be Hanged for Bringing Bundles of Pot Into Singapore
Appeal that centered on claiming confession was coerced was dismissed Tuesday
- A man in Singapore is going to be hanged for bringing three bundles of cannabis into the country. Omar Yacob Bamadhaj, 41, lost an appeal Tuesday of a sentence handed down in February. In July 2018, Bamadhaj had hopped across the border from the tiny city-state into Malaysia to run...
Pope Urges Missouri
to Halt Execution
Oct 4, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Pope Urges Missouri to Halt Execution
Gov. Mike Parson says he won't spare Ernest Lee Johnson
- Lawyers say Ernest Lee Johnson has the intellectual capacity of a child, and Pope Francis is among those urging Missouri to spare the death row inmate—but the state is proceeding with plans to execute him at 6pm Tuesday. Johnson, 61, was sentenced to death for killing three people during...
Death Row Inmate Suing for
a Final Touch Gets Reprieve
Sep 9, 2021 1:56 AM CDT
Death Row Inmate Suing for a Final Touch Gets Reprieve
Supreme Court blocks John Henry Ramirez's execution
- A Texas death row inmate won a reprieve Wednesday evening from execution for killing a convenience store worker during a 2004 robbery that garnered $1.25 after claiming the state was violating his religious freedom by not letting his pastor lay hands on him at the time of his lethal...
He Has Eaten 3 Last Meals,
Is Fighting to Avoid No. 4
Sep 5, 2021 1:30 PM CDT
He Has Eaten 3 Last Meals, Is Fighting to Avoid No. 4
'Rolling Stone' looks at the case of Richard Glossip in Oklahoma
- How close has Richard Glossip come to execution? He has eaten the same "last meal" three different times, writes Brenna Ehrlich at
. For the record: fish and chips, a Baconator sandwich from Wendy's, pizza, and a strawberry shake. Each time, Glossip has won a late stay...
After Wave of 13
Federal Executions, a Halt
Jul 2, 2021 12:45 AM CDT
After Wave of 13 Federal Executions, a Halt
Department of Justice reviewing policies
- After the Trump administration restarted federal executions following a 17-year hiatus, Donald Trump oversaw 13 executions —more than any US president since the 1800s, Reuters reports. (Those executions also included the first woman put to death by the federal government in almost seven decades.) On Thursday, US Attorney...
Longest Serving Death Row
Inmate Is Resentenced
Jun 10, 2021 2:24 AM CDT
Longest Serving Death Row Inmate Is Resentenced
Raymond Riles is now serving a life sentence
- Raymond Riles has been on death row for more than 45 years—longer than anyone else in the US. But no longer: On Wednesday, the 71-year-old Texas man was resentenced to life in prison, CBS DFW reports. Riles, who shot and killed used car dealer John Thomas Henry at a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.