Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bounce Back for US Economy
in 2021 Was a Major One
Jan 27, 2022 8:31 AM CST
Bounce Back for US Economy in 2021 Was a Major One
Nation's GDP saw strongest calendar-year growth since the Reagan years
- The US economy grew last year at the fastest pace since Ronald Reagan's presidency, bouncing back with resilience from 2020's brief but devastating coronavirus recession. The nation's gross domestic product—its total output of goods and services—expanded 5.7% in 2021. It was the strongest calendar-year...
COVID Delivered Shortest
Recession in US History
Jul 20, 2021 6:31 AM CDT
COVID Delivered Shortest Recession in US History
Severe downturn officially lasted 2 months, ending in April 2020
- Economists have concluded that the pandemic inflicted a deep recession on the US economy last year, but also the shortest one in history. The National Bureau of Economic Research, the official arbiter of such things, declared Monday that the recession lasted all of two months, ending in April 2020, reports...
Britain Wants Workers
Back in City Centers
Aug 28, 2020 12:25 PM CDT
Britain Wants Workers Back in City Centers
Businesses need the foot traffic, officials say
- The British government is encouraging workers to return to their offices amid concerns that the shift to working from home during the coronavirus pandemic is hurting businesses and leaving city centers virtual "ghost towns." Prime Minister Boris Johnson's government plans to roll out a media campaign next...
UK Recession Is
Basically the Worst
Aug 12, 2020 6:02 AM CDT
UK Recession Is Basically the Worst
Its economy contracted by more than any other major economy in Q2
- It's a double whammy for the UK, which as of Wednesday claims not just Europe's worst coronavirus death toll, but also the worst recession of any major economy. Stats released Wednesday show the UK's GDP shrank 20.4% in the second quarter after a 2.2% loss...
Take Your Guess on
Average Age of US Car
Jul 31, 2020 5:05 PM CDT
Take Your Guess on Average Age of US Car
It's 12 years, and it may get even older because of the pandemic
- The average age of vehicles on US roads has been climbing since the 2008 recession. With new-vehicle sales suppressed by the pandemic, that trend is not slowing,
Car and Driver
reports. The average age of a car in use now is 11.9 years, IHS Markit found, a one-month increase...
Record Expansion Is Over:
We Entered a Recession
Jun 8, 2020 12:52 PM CDT
Record Expansion Is Over: We Entered a Recession
Economists say it began in February
- The US economy entered a recession in February, a group of economists declared Monday, ending the longest expansion on record. The economists said employment peaked in February and fell sharply afterward, marking the beginning of the downturn, per the AP . The economists make up a committee within the National Bureau...
Mar 26, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
Fed Chief Addresses the R-Word
Jerome Powell says we 'may well be in a recession'
- Are we going to enter a recession? We may already be in one, said Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell on Thursday, though he tempered his answer. In a
appearance, Powell acknowledged that "we may well be in a recession," but "I would point to the...
Mnuchin: No Recession Coming
Mar 15, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Mnuchin: No Recession Coming
A 'big rebound' is possible later in the year, Treasury secretary says
- The US economy will slow during the pandemic, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said Sunday, but it won't tank. "The real issue is not the economic situation today," he said on ABC 's
. Mnuchin, a member of the Trump administration's coronavirus task force, added:...
on US Economy,
Trump Hits Back
Feb 18, 2020 8:26 AM CST
Obama Remarks on US Economy, Trump Hits Back
'Did you hear the latest con job?'
- Presidents Day featured the current president of the United States going on the attack against a predecessor after President Trump became agitated by a tweet from former President Obama. Per the Hill , Obama started things off Monday morning by commemorating the 11th anniversary of his signing of the American Recovery...
Trump: I'm Mulling Tax Cuts,
But R-Word Is 'Inappropriate'
Aug 20, 2019 3:45 PM CDT
Trump: I'm Mulling Tax Cuts, But R-Word Is 'Inappropriate'
The president says he's looking at capital gains and payroll tax cuts
- President Donald Trump says his administration is a looking at tax cut proposals but not as a response to a potential recession, the AP reports. "I'm looking at that all the time anyway," he explained. Trump talked about the economy and trade with China during a meeting...
What RV Shipments Say
About a Possible Recession
Aug 19, 2019 10:00 AM CDT
What RV Shipments Say About a Possible Recession
They're down 2 years in a row, which happened before last 3 recessions
- Last week saw Wall Street's worst day in 2019—and also saw President Trump telling a crowd in New Hampshire that their 401(k)s will be in far worse shape if Democrats take the White House in 2020. "I don't think we're having a recession," Trump...
An Inversion Just Happened,
as It Did Before 9 Recessions
Aug 14, 2019 3:05 PM CDT
An Inversion Just Happened, as It Did Before 9 Recessions
Treasury yields inverted Wednesday
- An economic alarm bell has sounded in the US, sending warnings of a possible recession ahead—and sending the Dow plunging 800 points by the end of the day. Yields on 2-year and 10-year Treasury notes inverted early Wednesday, a market phenomenon that shows investors want more in return for...
by End of 2019
Dec 12, 2018 7:21 AM CST
An 'Ominous Flattening' Could Signal Recession by End of 2019
That's per nearly half of US CFOs in Duke/CFO Global Business Outlook survey
- President Trump has been crowing over the past few weeks about the "best" and "greatest" economy "in the history of our country," as well as the "hottest jobs market on planet Earth," but the nation's top financial officers are less optimistic. Almost half...
Wall Street Pay Seems to
Have Long Forgotten Recession
Sep 18, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Wall Street Pay Seems to Have Long Forgotten Recession
Average salary for those in the NYC securities industry in NYC: $422,500, highest in a decade
- If you've been fretting over how the folks on Wall Street are doing lately, rest easy: The New York state comptroller says they're fine. Better than fine, actually, per Thomas DiNapoli, who notes the average securities-industry salary in New York last year rose 13%, to $422,500 (with...
An Awful Anniversary
Arrives on Wall Street
Sep 14, 2018 11:39 AM CDT
An Awful Anniversary Arrives on Wall Street
It's been 10 years since the collapse of Lehman and the start of the financial crisis
- Saturday marks 10 years since the largest bankruptcy in American history, or what CNN calls "the most terrifying moment for business and the US economy since the Great Depression." It might feel like ancient history given today's surging economy. But the scars of Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy filing...
Economists Predict When
Next Recession Will Arrive
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 13, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Economists Predict When Next Recession Will Arrive
Most say 2020
- When will the US enter its next recession? Economists surveyed by the
Wall Street Journal
are predicting 2020. We're currently in an economic expansion that started in mid-2009—the second-longest in American history—and 59% of the forecasters surveyed think it is most likely to end in two years...
California Now World's
5th Biggest Economy
May 5, 2018 10:40 AM CDT
California Now World's 5th Biggest Economy
State's GDP surpasses $2.7 trillion
- California's economy has surpassed that of the United Kingdom to become the world's fifth largest, according to new federal data made public Friday, the AP reports. California's gross domestic product rose by $127 billion from 2016 to 2017, surpassing $2.7 trillion, the data says. Meanwhile, the...
Recession Officially Over for
Median Household Income
Sep 12, 2017 1:14 PM CDT
Recession Officially Over for Median Household Income
It just hit $59K
- By at least one measure, the great recession that started in December 2007 was officially recovered from by the time President Obama left office, the
New York Times
reports. According to Census Bureau figures released Tuesday, the median household income in America in 2016 was $59,039—an increase of...
Can You Pass a Basic Test on Finances? Probably Not
Jul 17, 2016 4:56 PM CDT
Can You Pass a Basic Test on Finances? Probably Not
The vast majority of Americans answered barely half of the questions correctly
- When it comes to finances, Americans are doing generally better than during the recession. But when it comes to financial literacy, the picture is grim. According to a new survey of 27,564 Americans called the National Financial Capability Study that was put out by the FINRA Foundation , roughly two-thirds...
Dire Future for
Apr 3, 2016 3:36 PM CDT
Trump Predicts Dire Future for US Economy
GOP candidate sees 'very massive recession' ahead
- In a wide-ranging interview this week, Donald Trump said the US economy is headed for disaster—unless, it seems, he takes the reins. He also compared himself to the Lone Ranger and predicted the American people will "be falling asleep" if he becomes president. Among the highlights of his...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
YouTube Bars Dan Bongino Permanently
Offer From Germany Leaves Mayor in Ukraine 'Speechless'
In Quest for Selfie, Hiker Instead Meets a Tragic Fate
It's Tough to Get Out of Kabul, but These Americans Just Did
Mayor's Brother Sees Salary Cut From $210K to $1
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.