Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Pilots Send Out an SOS:
'We Have a Horse in Difficulty'
Nov 15, 2023 9:20 AM CST
Pilots Send Out an SOS: 'We Have a Horse in Difficulty'
Plane bound for Belgium forced to return to JFK after equine passenger gets loose in cargo hold
- A flight from Belgium out of New York City took a wild turn last week after a horse managed to get out of its enclosure in the cargo hold, forcing the plane to turn back to the US. Jalopnik reports that Air Atlanta Icelandic Flight 4592 took off Thursday from...
For Triple Crown Fans,
It's Good News
May 12, 2023 11:33 AM CDT
For Triple Crown Fans, It's Good News
Derby winner Mage will race in the Preakness
- Kentucky Derby winner Mage will run in the 148th Preakness following an encouraging workout at Churchill Downs, its co-owner said. Mage galloped about 1 1/2 miles at a brisk pace with exercise rider JJ Delgado aboard on a cloudy but mild Friday morning at the track. Co-owner and bloodstock agent...
Teen Equestrian Killed by
Her Horse During Competition
May 3, 2023 12:05 PM CDT
Teen Equestrian Killed by Her Horse During Competition
Sunday incident in Florida triggered by horse planting its left foot for 'unknown reasons'
- A 15-year-old equestrian's horse tripped during competition on Sunday and suffered a rotational fall that ended up causing the Florida girl's death. Hannah Serfass was roughly halfway through the course of a jumper event at the Fox Lea Farm Spring Concours I in Venice when the incident happened....
for 8 Years
Is Back Home
Oct 10, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Horse That Ran Wild for 8 Years Is Back Home
'It's crazy,' says owner of Mongo in Utah
- It's not too unusual to hear stories about lost dogs being reunited with their families after long stretches. Cats, too . But stallions? Such is the case in northwestern Utah, where Mongo the horse is back home after eight years of roaming the desert with his wild cousins, reports KUTV...
May 27, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
'I'm not going to die today' a determined 16-year-old Dalton Bruton thought
- For 16-year-old Dalton Bruton, being around horses has always been a "calming experience." Not so much last week, when the Oklahoma teen got kicked so hard by one that he ended up having a heart attack. KFOR reports on the May 19 incident on the horse farm owned...
Inside the Push to Stop
Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
in case you missed it
May 22, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Inside the Push to Stop Iceland's 'Blood Mare' Practice
Calls are rising to stop allowing farms to extract hormone from pregnant mares
- As far as alleged animal abuse goes, this is likely a practice you haven't heard of—and, if campaigners have their way, you won't in the future. The
reports on a growing call for Iceland's harvesting of Pregnant Mare Serum Gonadotropin (PMSG) to be banned. As...
On the Western Plains, a
Debate on America's Mustangs
Aug 18, 2021 8:32 AM CDT
On the Western Plains, a Debate on America's Mustangs
Roundups of free-ranging horses said to be due to drought, but activists are protesting the move
- The sound of the helicopter propeller thundered across the horizon as it dipped down toward mustangs dotting the golden brown plain. The horses burst into a gallop at the machine's approach, their high-pitched whinnies rising into the dry air. That helicopter roundup in the mountains of western Utah removed...
The Tallest Horse in
the World Is Dead at 20
Jul 6, 2021 3:16 AM CDT
The Tallest Horse in the World Is Dead at 20
Big Jake dies in Wisconsin
- The world’s tallest horse has died in Wisconsin. The 20-year-old Belgian named Big Jake lived on Smokey Hollow Farm in Poynette. Valicia Gilbert, wife of the farm's owner, Jerry Gilbert, said Big Jake died two weeks ago but declined to give the exact date of death when the...
Rider and Horse Die in
Devastating Equestrian Fall
Mar 2, 2020 11:05 AM CST
Rider and Horse Die in Devastating Equestrian Fall
Rotational fall claims the lives of Katharine Morel and Kerry On
- A Florida equestrian competition turned doubly devastating Saturday after a rider and her horse both died in a terrible fall. Katharine Morel of Canada was riding Kerry On on a cross-country course at Altoona's Rocking Horse Winter III Horse Trials, a United States Eventing Association-recognized competition, when the horse...
Lead to a
Nov 20, 2019 1:54 PM CST
50-Year-Old Accusations Lead to a Lifetime Ban
George Morris, 81, was a legend in equestrian sport
- A giant of equestrian sport has been banned for life over sexual-misconduct allegations dating back some 50 years, the
New York Times
reports. The expulsion of George Morris, 81, was announced Tuesday. "No matter how big a figure is in their sport, or how old the allegations, nobody is...
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule'
After Latest Horse Death
Oct 26, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
PETA Calls for '3 Strikes Rule' After Latest Horse Death
Mare put down after hurting legs at Santa Anita Park, 35th horse to die since December
- Yet another horse has died at Santa Anita Park, adding more fuel to the fire on why the racetrack in Arcadia, Calif., is still running. Per FOX 5 , GQ Covergirl, said to be a 5- or 6-year-old mare, hurt both front legs during training Friday, and the veterinarian on the...
Kim Jong Un's
Oct 16, 2019 6:21 AM CDT
Kim Jong Un's Putin-esque Pics Invite 'Wonder,' Speculation
North Korean leader's ride on a horse up a sacred snowy mountain could portend big news—or not
- In his downtime, Russian leader Vladimir Putin likes to appear, often shirtless, in photos engaged in various manly activities, including fishing and horseback riding . Now North Korea's Kim Jong Un is getting into the act, shown in a series of new images riding a horse up a sacred snowy...
Aug 21, 2019 4:20 PM CDT
70-Year-Old Wins Grueling 'Death March'
Bob Long beats the odds by winning a long, Mongolian horse race
- Bob Long is 70—and just won a punishing 10-day horse race across the Mongolian steppes. That makes him the oldest rider to even
the race, the
New York Times
reports. "It's nothing," says the Idaho native. "You just ride 650 miles on a death...
Barron Trump Gets Rather
Large Gift From Mongolia
Aug 1, 2019 10:15 AM CDT
Barron Trump Gets Rather Large Gift From Mongolia
Horse named Victory will stay in the country
- It's a "Victory" for President Trump's youngest son, Barron. The White House says Mongolia's government has gifted the 13-year-old with a horse, which has been named Victory. Press secretary Stephanie Grisham says the Trumps are "very grateful" for the horse, which will remain in Mongolia....
Famous Horse Barn Burns
Jun 27, 2019 6:33 PM CDT
Famous Horse Barn Burns
- Flames have destroyed a famous horse barn on Chincoteague Island in Virginia. News outlets report firefighters were called Tuesday night to the Misty barn at the Beebe Ranch, per AP . Chincoteague Volunteer Fire Company spokeswoman Denise Bowden says flames were shooting 30 feet into the air when firefighters arrived.
Horse No. 24 Dies at
Southern Calif. Racetrack
May 18, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
Horse No. 24 Dies at Southern Calif. Racetrack
Commander Coil was euthanized after rare shoulder injury at Santa Anita Park
- Since Christmas there have been 23 horse deaths at Santa Anita Park. Now, make it 24. A statement from the Stronach Group, which owns the track, notes that Commander Coil, a 3-year-old gelding, was put down after an unusual shoulder injury sustained during training Friday morning—the first horse death...
23rd Horse Dies After Racing
Resumes at Santa Anita
Apr 1, 2019 12:54 AM CDT
23rd Horse Dies After Racing Resumes at Santa Anita
Facility closed for changes after rash of deaths
- A two-horse spill in the $100,000 San Simeon Stakes at Santa Anita has led to the 23rd equine fatality since Christmas at the Southern California track. Arms Runner injured his right front leg and fell in the Grade 3 race on turf Sunday, two days after Santa Anita reopened...
He Couldn't Save
Nov 23, 2018 12:15 PM CST
He Couldn't Save Farmhand's Horse. The Farmhand Retaliated
Douglas Holley gets 105 years in prison for planting pipe bomb under veterinarian's bed
- A northwest Louisiana farmhand has been sentenced to 105 years after being convicted of planting a pipe bomb under the bed of the man and wife he worked for in retaliation for the man's failure to save his horse. "I'm going to remove you from normal society,...
a Grim Fate for
Nov 9, 2018 8:08 AM CST
In Venezuela, a Grim Fate for Vet School's Horses
3 found butchered in recent months amid high inflation, scarce food
- Rafael Toro, a student at Venezuela's top veterinary school, suspected something was amiss when a beloved horse called Miss Congeniality didn't greet him at the fence one recent morning along with others in the campus' small herd. The bay-colored mare had earned her nickname for helping disabled students...
Girl, 12, Fatally Crushed by
Horse on Family Outing
Jul 12, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
Girl, 12, Fatally Crushed by Horse on Family Outing
The California girl's little sister was seriously injured
- A young California girl was fatally crushed by a horse this week while out riding with members of her family. According to the
, police identified the 12-year-old victim as Yolanda Ceja. Yolanda was reportedly on an outing with her family at a Lake View Terrace ranch when the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast-Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Here's What Happens When You Go Vegan for a Month
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.