Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
SEC Filing Puts
Call Under the
Oct 29, 2021 9:41 AM CDT
SEC Filing Puts 50-Second Burr Call Under the Microscope
Agency: Senator's brother-in-law dumped stocks after conferring with Burr in early days of pandemic
- In February 2020, Sen. Richard Burr was the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee, as well as a member of the chamber's Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions panel. He also had staffers tasked with helping out with the emerging pandemic. Those ties, and the knowledge on the coronavirus he...
Romney Called 'Deep State'
Agent in Censure Motion
Feb 16, 2021 12:13 PM CST
Romney Called 'Deep State' Agent in Censure Motion
However, GOP leaders in Utah come to his defense
- To get a sense of the debate now underway within the GOP, look no further than Utah. Some state Republicans are circulating a motion online calling for Mitt Romney to be censured for voting to convict former President Trump in his second impeachment trial . At the same time, however, party...
Republicans Back Home
Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Feb 14, 2021 1:45 PM CST
Republicans Back Home Don't Take 7 Votes Well
Louisiana GOP censures Cassidy
- Republican senators who voted to convict former President Trump in his impeachment trial are hearing about it from party officials back home. Sen. Bill Cassidy was promptly censured by Louisiana party leaders, the Hill reports. The state party condemned Cassidy's vote in a tweet , adding, "Fortunately, clearer heads...
Chair of Senate Intel Panel
Steps Down Amid Inquiry
May 14, 2020 11:38 AM CDT
Chair of Senate Intel Panel Steps Down Amid Inquiry
Richard Burr will leave post until investigation into his stock moves in pandemic is completed
- Sen. Richard Burr is temporarily giving up his chairmanship of one of the most powerful Senate committees while the FBI investigates insider trading allegations, reports the Hill . The North Carolina Republican will step aside as chair of the intelligence panel as the investigation continues. Burr, who was privy to classified...
on Senator Who
May 14, 2020 12:43 AM CDT
FBI Serves Search Warrant on Senator Who Dumped Stock
Richard Burr was privy to confidential coronavirus briefings at the time
- One of the senators who sold off stock after confidential briefings on the coronavirus in early February is now under investigation by the FBI. The bureau served a search warrant on Richard Burr, chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, Wednesday, per the
Los Angeles Times
. The North Carolina Republican asked...
Senator's Virus Stock Trades
Under Federal Inquiry
Mar 30, 2020 9:01 AM CDT
Senator's Virus Stock Trades Under Federal Inquiry
Justice Department is investigating Richard Burr's financial moves
- A senator's well-timed stock selloff before the coronavirus crisis arrived in full is now the subject of a federal investigation. CNN reports that the Justice Department has begun an inquiry into the financial moves of Richard Burr. The North Carolina Republican chairs the Senate Intelligence Committee, and he sold...
Senator in Growing
Virus Scandal Responds
Mar 20, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Senator in Growing Virus Scandal Responds
Richard Burr asks Senate Ethics panel to review his sale of stocks
- One of the senators caught up in a quickly growing coronavirus controversy has asked the Senate Ethics Committee to look into his actions. Sen. Richard Burr is among lawmakers under fire for selling off a lot of their personal stocks just before the market began to tank. Burr in particular...
After Coronavirus Briefings,
4 Senators Dumped Stocks
Mar 20, 2020 6:44 AM CDT
After Coronavirus Briefings, 4 Senators Dumped Stocks
Burr reassured public but privately gave dire warnings about pandemic
- A number of senators who received briefings on the coronavirus outbreak earlier this year publicly offered reassurances that America was ready—and privately sold off large amounts of their stock holdings. Bloomberg puts the count at four members of the Senate Intelligence Committee. Coverage:
Chairman Richard Burr sold between $628,
May 10, 2019 12:14 PM CDT
New DC Flashpoint Centers on Trump Jr.
President's allies want GOP Sen. Richard Burr to drop his committee's subpoena
- The newest point of friction in DC is the Senate Intelligence Committee's decision to subpoena Donald Trump Jr. The panel is conducting its own investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election, and it wants the president's son to answer more questions. What sets this apart from the...
Eye on Nunes Chaos, Senate
Vows to Chase Russia Intel
Mar 30, 2017 6:04 AM CDT
Eye on Nunes Chaos, Senate Vows to Chase Russia Intel
Senators vow a fair, bipartisan investigation into potential election tampering
- The heads of the Senate Intelligence Committee set a ground rule before taking questions on their investigation into alleged Russian election interference: Don't ask about the increasingly chaotic House investigation. At a Wednesday press conference, Republican committee chairman Sen. Richard Burr and Democratic vice chair Sen. Mark Warner promised...
Top Senators Reject
Trump Wiretap Claim
Mar 17, 2017 12:09 AM CDT
Top Senators Reject Trump Wiretap Claim
White House stands by accusation
- The White House is standing by its explosive allegation that former President Barack Obama ordered the wiretapping of Trump Tower phones—despite the Senate Intelligence Committee's finding that there's no evidence for the claim. "Based on the information available to us, we see no indications that Trump...
GOP Senator Sorry
for Clinton Shooting Joke
Nov 1, 2016 12:02 AM CDT
GOP Senator Sorry for Clinton Shooting Joke
North Carolina's Richard Burr quipped about a 'bulls-eye'
- Sen. Richard Burr, locked in a tight race in North Carolina, has apologized for remarks that got plenty of laughs from a crowd of Republican volunteers over the weekend. In audio obtained by CNN , Burr recounted seeing a picture of Hillary Clinton on the NRA's official magazine. "Nothing...
Feb 5, 2013 9:56 AM CST
McCain: Let's Not Filibuster Chuck Hagel
Defense nominee nears confirmation
- John McCain wasn't easy on Chuck Hagel during the defense secretary nominee's confirmation hearing—but it looks as though he and other Republicans are letting up. (After all, the two were friends before falling out.) McCain says he opposes a filibuster of Hagel's confirmation and will...
Senate Sends Insider Trading Bill to Obama
Mar 22, 2012 2:26 PM CDT
Senate Sends Insider Trading Bill to Obama
Congress approves weaker version of bill designed to police itself
- The Senate today sent President Obama a scaled-down bill to explicitly ban members of Congress, the president, and thousands of other federal workers from profiting from nonpublic information learned on the job. In an unusual move, the legislation passed unanimously without a vote on the measure itself. Instead it passed...
GOP Senators Take
Secret Afghanistan Trip
Jan 17, 2011 10:28 AM CST
GOP Senators Take Secret Afghanistan Trip
Mitch McConnell and crew return with praise for Obama's strategy
- Mitch McConnell and a handful of other Senate Republicans took a secret trip to Afghanistan and Pakistan this weekend, announcing the trip only today—just before their return flight. The group, which included Lindsey Graham, Richard Burr, and freshmen Marco Rubio, Ron Johnson, Pat Toomey, and Kelly Ayotte, met with...
Stall Tactics for
Health Bill Fight
Oct 19, 2009 1:02 PM CDT
GOP Plans Stall Tactics for Health Bill Fight
Opponents hope long debate will force voters to 'understand this thing'
- Lacking the votes for a filibuster and increasingly resigned to the fact that Democrats will stand united, GOP senators have a novel strategy to stall the health care reform bill: They’re going to stall it however they can. The Democratic plan “is inconsistent with the American people,”...
Popular on Newser
2nd Woman Dumped at LA Hospital Dies
Parents of Oxford Suspect Caught After Manhunt
You Know About Foster Care, Maybe Not Its 'Shadow' System
He Stuck Out His Arm to Get Vaxxed. It Was 'Cold and Gummy'
Shellshocked Docs Call Bomb Squad for Man With Ordnance in Rectum
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.