snake

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>

Python Spotted by a Completely Appropriate Grocery Shopper

Helaina Alati, who encountered the 10-foot-long diamond python, is a snake catcher

(Newser) - Helaina Alati was browsing the spice aisle of an Australian supermarket when she came face-to-face with a huge snake. The head of the 10-foot-long non-venomous diamond python emerged through a space in a shelf in the Woolworths in the suburb of Glenorie on Sydney’s northwest outskirts. "I was...

Python Escapes From Home, Bites Neighbor on Toilet
He Sat on the
Toilet at Dawn.
Suddenly, a 'Nip'
in case you missed it

He Sat on the Toilet at Dawn. Suddenly, a 'Nip'

Python escapes from Austria apartment, ends up in neighbor's bathroom

(Newser) - An elderly Austrian man had an unpleasant surprise waiting for him while answering nature's call early Monday: a python, in his toilet. The man, identified by the BBC as 65-year-old Walter Erhart, tells the broadcaster that he "went to the toilet as usual" in his Graz apartment around...

Escaped Spitting Cobra Captured With Glue Traps

Police in Raleigh say it is now in state custody

(Newser) - Raleigh residents no longer have to fear encountering an escaped cobra capable of blinding them with venom from nine feet away. An escaped spitting zebra cobra on the loose since Monday was captured in a home Wednesday night and was in state custody Thursday, the News & Observer reports. Police...

If You See This Snake in NC, Don't Go Near It—Call 911

Police are on the lookout in Raleigh for an escaped zebra cobra

(Newser) - If you're out for a jog or walking your dog in Raleigh today, you might want to steer clear of the Brittany Woods neighborhood. WRAL reports that residents there "are waking up to another day of anxiety" after police reported that a highly toxic zebra cobra is on...

Miles From Shore, He Found a Deadly Snake in His Boat

'I didn't like the bugger,' Aussie man says after lucky escape

(Newser) - A bite from a tiger snake can cause a victim to collapse within 15 minutes, so Australian man Bob Thatcher was understandably nervous when he spotted one just inches from his feet when his tiny fishing boat was 30 minutes from shore. The 80-year-old retired banker tells the Guardian that...

2 Reasons Why This Python's 7 Eggs Are Totally Weird

First, she's 62 years old. Second, she hasn't been near a male python for 2 decades

(Newser) - A 62-year-old ball python surprised experts at the St. Louis Zoo by laying seven eggs, despite not being near a male python for at least two decades. Mark Wanner, manager of herpetology at the zoo, says it's unusual but not unheard of for ball pythons to reproduce asexually. The...

Thousands of Pythons Removed From Everglades

Namely, 5K since 2017

(Newser) - Burmese pythons have invaded the Florida Everglades and are wreaking havoc, and last week, the state Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission announced it has removed 5,000 of them from the ecosystem since a python elimination program was established in 2017. The snakes, which likely got established after pets were...

Driver Fights Off Deadly Snake With Knife, Seat Belt

Cops says Aussie man had a reasonable excuse for speeding

(Newser) - Government guidance in Queensland, Australia, says people who encounter snakes should calmly back away to a safe distance. It doesn't specify what you should do if one starts to wrap itself around you while you're driving. That's what a 27-year-old man, identified only as Jimmy, told...

Woman Found Dead in House With Python Around Her Neck

There were 140 snakes in the home

(Newser) - An Indiana woman found with an 8-foot-long python wrapped around her neck had apparently kept snakes at the residence, which was filled with snakes and outfitted for a collection of the reptiles, police say. Laura Hurst, 36, was found unresponsive Wednesday night on the floor of a home in the...

He Opened the Toilet Lid, Snake 'Rose Up and Bit Him'

Fortunately, the ball python was nonvenomous

(Newser) - Like something out of a horror movie, a 4-foot-long snake slithered out of a toilet in Coral Springs, Florida, and bit a man on the arm Sunday. Fortunately, the ball python is a nonvenomous snake, and the 52-year-old man was able to be treated at his apartment. He had just...

He Tried to Open Door. Then, a White Flash and Screaming

The snake didn't like visitors, apparently

(Newser) - Footage from a doorbell camera on a porch in Lawton, Okla., is circulating, and USA Today reports that Jerel Heywood is the unfortunate star. CNN reports Heywood went to visit his friend Rodney Copeland on Sunday, and the video shows what happened as he tried to enter Copeland's...

Think Your Ex Is a Snake? Here's the Ideal Valentine's Gift
A Snake Needs
a Name: Your Ex's

A Snake Needs a Name: Your Ex's

Aussie zoo contest lets you explain why its resident reptile deserves your ex's moniker

(Newser) - The brown snake of Australia is among the most poisonous in the world, which is apparently why a zoo Down Under has decided to let you name one of them after your ex. That is, if you win Wild Life Sydney's Valentine's Day contest, which is giving competitors...

She Was Taking Care of Business. Then, 'Midstream,' a 'Sharp Tap'
She Was Taking
Care of Business.
Then, 'Midstream,'
a 'Sharp Tap'
in case you missed it

She Was Taking Care of Business. Then, 'Midstream,' a 'Sharp Tap'

Aussie woman bitten by carpet python while on the toilet

(Newser) - Australia has been mired in quite a heat wave , and the snakes are taking to the toilets to cool off. Newshub reports that a Brisbane woman found that out, um, "midstream" after a carpet python hiding in her porcelain throne apparently freaked out when she went to take care...

Man's Unusual Death in Australia: by Sea Snake

The 23-year-old Brit was working on a fishing trawler

(Newser) - A freak accident that claimed the life of a British man in Australia may be the first of its kind on record. The 23-year-old working on a fishing trawler off the Northern Territory was lifting a net onto the boat when he was bitten by a sea snake on Thursday....

Cops: Man Bit Rattlesnake to Exact Revenge on Neighbor

He put the de-rattled snake in his rival's trailer

(Newser) - If you encounter a rattlesnake in the wild, experts advise freezing and then slowly backing away from the animal. They certainly don't advise biting its rattle off and then turning it loose in your neighbor's trailer, as a Caldwell County, Texas, man is accused of doing. Police say...

Story Shifts on Kayaker Attacked by 'Falling' Rattlesnake

SC man was hospitalized in critical condition

(Newser) - It was enough to send shivers down your spine: Fire and rescue officials in Colleton County said a 28-year-old kayaker was hospitalized in critical condition Saturday after a rattlesnake fell out of a tree on the Edisto River and bit him twice on the hand. Except now the man's...

Coroner: Owner Died After 'Show of Affection' From Pet Snake

Victim's mom kept all 10 of his snakes

(Newser) - Dan Brandon loved his 8-foot pet python Tiny and, fatally, the feeling was apparently mutual. Brandon, 31, was found dead in his home in Basingstoke, England, last August, and a coroner's inquest has concluded that he was asphyxiated by the African rock python, one of 10 snakes and a...

Family Shocked When 4-Foot Snake Appears in Toilet

It happened in Seattle

(Newser) - A family made an unusual discovery inside the bathroom of their north Seattle apartment on Friday—a snake was hiding in their toilet. The AP reports the family called police after a child found the 4-foot snake inside the apartment in the Lake City neighborhood. Officers helped remove the snake,...

Copperhead Latches Onto Woman's Foot in Restaurant

'I felt what turned out to be a snake wiggling in my fingers'

(Newser) - Rachel Myrick experienced possibly one of the last things you'd expect upon entering a LongHorn Steakhouse: She was bit by a copperhead snake. In fact, the venomous 8-inch snake was still attached to her foot (she was wearing sandals) after she first felt a sharp pain; she had to...

Kitten Pulled From Fire Will Melt Your Heart

Velcro was given oxygen to aid recovery

(Newser) - "There was heavy smoke in there, so the fact that they survived is pretty remarkable," says a fire official after a kitten and snake were rescued from a cooking fire at an apartment in Washington state on Monday. Firefighters initially pulled two dogs from the fire, one of...

Stories 1 - 20 |  Next >>
Popular on Newser
We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.