Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Doctor Who First Helped Diana
in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
Aug 29, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Doctor Who First Helped Diana in Crash: I Didn't Recognize Her
As 25th anniversary approaches, Frederic Mailliez speaks about the night of the fatal 1997 accident
- The woman was crumpled on the floor of a mangled Mercedes, unconscious and struggling to breathe. The French doctor had no idea who she was and focused on trying to save her. Twenty-five years later, Frederic Mailliez is still marked by what happened in the Alma Tunnel in Paris on...
Man Charged With
Raping US Tourist
in Paris Public Toilet
Aug 10, 2022 5:23 PM CDT
Man Charged With Raping US Tourist in Paris Public Toilet
Woman was attacked in heart of tourist district
- Paris has been shocked by the rape of an American tourist in the heart of a district generally considered safe. Investigators say the 27-year-old woman was out with her husband Saturday night on the right bank of the River Seine near Notre Dame Cathedral, an area that is busy by...
'Would Have a Heart
Attack' if He Saw
Jul 6, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Gustave Eiffel 'Would Have a Heart Attack' if He Saw Tower Today
Experts suggest $60M paint job is 'mostly useless' for rust-riddled structure
- The 1,083-foot-tall Eiffel Tower is undergoing its "most expensive" and "most inefficient" paint job ahead of the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris, according to
, which reports the $60 million project will do nothing to treat a significant problem hiding under the Iron Lady's coats: lots...
Surviving Paris Attacker Gets
France's Toughest Sentence
Jun 29, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Surviving Paris Attacker Gets France's Toughest Sentence
Historic Bataclan trial ends with 20 guilty verdicts
This story has been updated with sentencing details
. The biggest trial in France's modern history has concluded after nearly 10 months, with all 20 defendants found guilty of charges related to the 2015 ISIS attack on the Bataclan theater and other Paris locations that killed 130 people. Salah Abdeslam...
Famed Cabaret Shows
End at Paris Landmark
May 28, 2022 1:00 PM CDT
Famed Cabaret Shows End at Paris Landmark
Josephine Baker and Elton John performed at club with waterfalls, ice rink, and pool
- It's the end of an era in Paris. Facing financial troubles and changing times, the new corporate owner of the famed Lido cabaret is ditching most of its staff and its high-kicking, high-glamour dance shows—which date back decades and inspired copycats from Las Vegas to Beirut—in favor...
May 4, 2022 8:10 AM CDT
Eiffel Tower's Olympic Revamp Angers Thousands
125K have signed petition against tree felling
- The Eiffel Tower is undergoing a makeover, including a paint job, before the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris, though not all Parisians are happy with the planned changes. AFP reports some are "up in arms" over a plan to fell 22 trees near the base of the famous landmark,...
'Riches' Found Inches Below
Notre Dame's Floor Slabs
in case you missed it
Apr 17, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
'Riches' Found Inches Below Notre Dame's Floor Slabs
Sarcophagus, fragments of original rood screen are 'extraordinary'
- There's an upside to rebuilding after a fire , as archaeologists at France's Notre Dame cathedral have discovered. In preparation for the monument's new spire, to replace the one burned in 2019, workers will build 100-foot-high scaffolding. But before they do, officials asked archeologists to perform a "...
After Heist on
7 Hit With Charges
Mar 19, 2022 6:00 AM CDT
After Heist on
Set, 7 Hit With Charges
Authorities are still seeking others after Feb. 25 incident in which $330K in equipment was stolen
Seven youths have been charged in connection with a heist last month on the set of the Netflix series
. On Feb. 25, about 20 thieves descended upon production taking place in the Nanterre district of France, outside of Paris, swiping equipment worth $330,000. According to AFP, the...
Agent Accused of Aiding
Epstein Found Dead in Cell
Feb 19, 2022 4:00 PM CST
Agent Accused of Aiding Epstein Found Dead in Cell
Jean-Luc Brunel was under investigation in France for rape, human trafficking
- A modeling agent accused of being an accomplice of Jeffrey Epstein was found hanged in his Paris jail cell Saturday. French prosecutors said that an investigation into the death of Jean-Luc Brunel, 75, had begun, but that early signs suggested it was suicide, the
reports. He had been hanged...
Mandate Protesters, Police
Clash on Champs-Elysees
Feb 13, 2022 11:23 AM CST
Mandate Protesters, Police Clash on Champs-Elysees
Demonstrators barred from Paris broke through city's defenses
- In the first significant European demonstration inspired by the anti-mandate truck convoy in Canada, protesters rolled into Paris on Saturday, blocking the Champs-Elysees until police were able to disperse them. Officers used tear gas and clashed with the protesters, who had violated a government order to stay out of the...
Rape Case Against Director
Luc Besson Takes a New Turn
Dec 9, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Rape Case Against Director Luc Besson Takes a New Turn
Paris judge dismisses allegation against French moviemaker; meanwhile, his accuser has left acting
- A Paris judge has dismissed a rape allegation against French director Luc Besson by the actress Sand Van Roy. The Dutch-Belgian actress, who starred in Besson films including 2017's
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
, claimed the director raped her in a...
Khashoggi Arrest Falls Apart
Dec 8, 2021 10:30 AM CST
Khashoggi Arrest Falls Apart
Man arrested in Paris isn't the right Khaled Alotaibi
Officials didn't get their guy after all. ABC News reports the man arrested Tuesday at Paris' Charles de Gaulle Airport in connection with the 2018 murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul was the wrong man. In what was apparently a case of...
This Is the World's
Most Expensive City
Dec 1, 2021 12:13 PM CST
This Is the World's Most Expensive City
Israel's Tel Aviv tops the Economist Intelligence Unit's list
- Looking to bust out of this joint and set down roots elsewhere in the world? If you're planning an expat move to one of the cities on the Economist Intelligence Unit's most recent list, you'd better bring some extra cash. Per the BBC , the Economist Group's...
Paris Man Gets Life for
Murder of Holocaust Survivor
Nov 11, 2021 4:57 AM CST
Paris Man Gets Life for Murder of Holocaust Survivor
Mireille Knoll was stabbed 11 times
: A 32-year-old Paris man has been sentenced to life for the horrific murder of a Holocaust survivor in 2018. Yacine Mihoub was convicted of stabbing 85-year-old Jewish woman Mireille Knoll 11 times during what prosecutors said was a botched robbery fueled by anti-Semitism and the belief that she had...
Olympic Champ Joins
Thousands in Paris Run
Oct 31, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Olympic Champ Joins Thousands in Paris Run
Eliud Kipchoge starts at the back of the race on the Champs-Elysees
- Some 3,600 amateur runners faced off Sunday against Olympic marathon champion Eliud Kipchoge in a special race in the heart of Paris, an event tied to the city's hosting of the 2024 Olympics. The runners raced along the historic, cobblestoned Champs-Elysees, with Kipchoge starting off last, darting alongside....
Biggest Triceratops Fossil Sells
for Far More Than Expected
Oct 22, 2021 5:53 AM CDT
Biggest Triceratops Fossil Sells for Far More Than Expected
: The biggest triceratops skeleton ever found has sold for more than four times the expected price—and as paleontologists feared, the buyer wasn't a museum. The Drouot auction house says the fossil, known as "Big John," was bought for $7.7 million by a private collector...
High Wire From
Across the Seine
Sep 20, 2021 10:45 AM CDT
Guy Crushes High Wire From Eiffel Tower Across the Seine
Nathan Paulin walked nearly 2,000 feet on slackline more than 225 feet above the ground
- When Nathan Paulin was a kid, he had a fear of heights. He's apparently gotten over that, since he spent part of the weekend traversing a high wire from the Eiffel Tower across the Seine. Reuters reports that the 27-year-old acrobat practiced for four years to make the nearly...
Crews Put Christo Wrap
on Arc de Triomphe
Sep 13, 2021 4:17 PM CDT
Crews Put Christo Wrap on Arc de Triomphe
Paris monument is being draped in keeping with late artist's vision
- The public art project taking shape in Paris doesn't just look like something Christo would do, it is his project, being completed more than a year after the artist's death. Workers are covering the Arc de Triomphe in 270,000 square feet of silvery blue, plastic wrapping, a...
After Paris Terror Suspect's
Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
Sep 8, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
After Paris Terror Suspect's Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
'We suffered 130 deaths, you bastard,' somebody said from back of courtroom
- The trial of 20 men accused of involvement in the 2015 Paris terror attacks got underway Wednesday —and it was soon disrupted by an outburst from the main suspect, Saleh Abdeslam. The
reports that Abdeslam, believed to be the only survivor of the group that carried out the...
City of Lights Is Now
the City of Dawdling
Aug 30, 2021 6:47 AM CDT
City of Lights Is Now the City of Dawdling
Paris' speed limit is now about 19mph, s'il vous plait
- No more zipping past the Eiffel Tower or through the Latin Quarter without slowing down to soak in the sights: Starting Monday, the speed limit on nearly all streets of Paris is just 30kph, or a bit less than 19mph, reports the AP . It’s the latest initiative by a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Marjorie Taylor Greene's 27-Year Marriage Is Ending
Ian Leaves Trail of Devastation
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee 2020 Election Was Stolen
MacKenzie Scott Quietly Files for Divorce
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.