Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,859,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Claim: Scientology Poisoned Singer's Dog Amid Rape Accusations
Cedric Bixler-Zavala claims the Church is protecting actor Danny Masterson
- A progressive rock singer claims Scientologists have poisoned his family dog—again. Cedric Bixler-Zavala, lead singer of Mars Volta and At the Drive-In, says he put down his dog this week after it ate poisoned meat tossed into the yard by Church of Scientology members, per the
EPA Makes Contentious Decision on 'Cyanide Bombs'
Trump administration reauthorizes M-44 traps to kill predator wildlife
- The Environmental Protection Agency has just reupped authorization of a controversial device designed to protect livestock from predators, but which critics call a "safety menace" against other animals and humans. CBS News reports the EPA has given the green light for the USDA's Wildlife Services, as well as...
The Plan: Drop 1.5 Tons of Rat Poison Pellets Here
Fish and Wildlife Service thinks it's the only way to rid the Farallon Islands of mice
- The only humans who occupy the South Farallon Islands off San Francisco are scientists. But the land is otherwise well-populated: In addition to sea lions, seals, and salamanders, it's home to the biggest seabird breeding colony in the Lower 48. But there's also house mice—up to 60,...
Cops: Woman Gave Boyfriend Drano to Induce 'Eternal Sleep'
Elle Weissman, 43, was arrested in Salt Lake City
- Utah police say a woman tricked her boyfriend into drinking Drano in the hope it would kill him—and then, oddly, she took him to a hospital. Elle Weissman, 43, was arrested in Salt Lake City on Tuesday on charges of attempted murder and surreptitious administration of a certain substance,...
They Were Feasting. Then They Began Dying
Dozens dead in India after downing 'spurious' liquor
- Police say 39 people have died and another 27 fallen sick from drinking spurious liquor containing toxic methanol in several villages in northern India. Senior police officer Ashok Kumar says 26 died in two separate incidents in the state of Uttar Pradesh, 190 miles east of the New Delhi capital,...
A Sad Ending to Life of Man Who 'Had It All'
'NYT' explores the life and suicide of Geoffrey Weglarz
- After police in Manhattan found a 61-year-old man dead in a parked car in late August, they identified him as Geoffrey Corbis and said it appeared he died of natural causes. Turns out, his name was actually Geoffrey Weglarz, and he died by suicide after ingesting poison he bought on...
German Doctors: Pussy Riot Poisoning 'Highly Plausible'
Pyotr Verzilov is expected to recover
- German doctors treating a member of Russian protest group Pussy Riot said Tuesday that claims he was poisoned are "highly plausible," but stressed they can't say how this might have occurred or who was responsible, the AP reports. Pyotr Verzilov has been receiving intensive care since arriving...
Officials Let Woman, 29, Kill Herself With Poison
Aurelia Brouwers applied for legal euthanasia in the Netherlands
- Aurelia Brouwers tried to kill herself many times, and ultimately succeeded—with the government's help. The 29-year-old Dutch woman won the right to die after squeaking through an approval process that usually denies psychiatric cases, the BBC reports. "When I was 12, I suffered from depression," she...
Amid a Trio of Rare Books, a Toxic Find
Tomes in Denmark university library were coated in arsenic-laced paint
- If one were to handpick a career that guaranteed a safe work environment, librarian would seem a reasonable choice. A trio of books found at the University of Southern Denmark may have just upended that assumption as researchers discovered a possible toxic avenger from the Renaissance era. Experts were studying...
Museum Planned to Destroy Deadly Poison. Thieves Got to It First
Safe containing curare vial is stolen in the Netherlands
- Where's Indiana Jones when you need him? Authorities are trying to track down an ancient vial containing a deadly poison, stolen from the Dutch national museum of science and medicine this week. Thieves broke into an outbuilding at Leiden's Rijksmuseum Boerhaave and took a refrigerator-sized safe holding a...
Cops: Pizza Worker Tampered With Shredded Cheese
NC manager discovered what cops suspect was rat poison before any customers were affected
- Customers at a North Carolina pizzeria may have dodged a close one last week. The
News & Observer
reports an employee at Fayetteville's Primo Pizza was arrested Wednesday and accused of mixing what cops believe was rat poison in with the shredded cheese. Per a Fayetteville Police release , a...
A 'Significant Milestone' for Poisoned Spy's Daughter
Yulia Skripal is released from the hospital
- More good news for the daughter of a poisoned former Russian spy: Yulia Skripal is out of the hospital. "This is not the end of her treatment but marks a significant milestone," says a statement from the UK's Salisbury District Hospital, per the BBC . The 33-year-old had...
UK Blasts Russia's 'Sarcasm,' Expels 23 Diplomats
Theresa May announces measures against Moscow after it fails to address ex-spy's poisoning
- The United Kingdom is pointing 23 Russian diplomats identified as "undeclared intelligence officers" to the exit, reports the BBC , giving them a week to pack up and get out after Moscow failed to give an explanation for how the Russian-produced nerve agent Novichok came to be used to poison...
Police Confirm Russian Spy Was Poisoned
They say a nerve agent was used against Sergei Skripal, but don't specify which one
- British authorities on Wednesday said they knew "more about the substance" that felled a former Russian double agent, and what they revealed later in the day isn't good. In a case that's now being treated as attempted murder, authorities say Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia were...
Japanese City Issues Emergency Fugu Warning
Supermarket accidentally sold deadly liver
- A Japanese city activated its emergency broadcast system Monday not for a missile alert, but for a warning about the country's deadliest delicacy. Emergency system loudspeakers in Gamagori, central Japan, warned residents that a supermarket had sold packages of fugu without removing the liver, one of the deadliest parts...
Police: Woman, 70, Tested Homemade Ricin on Neighbors
Betty Miller told an FBI agent that she wanted to 'injure herself'
- A Vermont retirement community resident made ricin and tested the deadly toxin on her neighbors by putting it on their food or in beverages over a period of weeks, investigators said. Betty Miller told an FBI agent that she wanted to "injure herself" and was testing the poison's...
Preliminary Test Done on Bottle War Criminal Drank From
Prosecutor confirms it contained a deadly substance
- A deadly chemical was in the container from which a Croat war criminal drank shortly before dying , a Dutch prosecutor said Thursday, as an independent investigation into the dramatic death of Slobodan Praljak continued. "There was a preliminary test of the substance in the container and all I can...
Report: War Criminal Who Drank 'Poison' in Court Has Died
Lawyer for Bosnian Croat Slobodan Praljak says his client sucked down toxic liquid
- Croatian state TV has reported that war criminal Slobodan Praljak, who stunned a UN war crimes tribunal Wednesday by drinking what he claimed was poison during proceedings, has died, per the AP . The BBC and
had earlier reported that the 72-year-old Bosnian Croat—an ex-military commander convicted four years...
17 Dead After Woman Allegedly Poisons Husband's Milk
Police say she wanted to 'avenge' her forced marriage
- A 21-year-old woman in Pakistan has been charged with murder after police say she poisoned her husband's milk and ended up inadvertently killing 17 people, the AP reports. According to the
, Asiya Bibi (also reported as Aasia Bibi) was forced to marry a 25-year-old man against her will...
Year After Mysterious Strychnine Death, an Identification
When a mystery man's body was found in UK, international investigation ensued
- The man found lying on his back on a patch of grass on the outskirts of Manchester on Dec. 12, 2015, dead of strychnine poisoning, has finally been identified thanks to an international police investigation. Police believe that the man, identified as 67-year-old David Lytton, took his own life, reports...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Last Pension Tied to Civil War Has Been Paid Out
Ben & Jerry's 'Just Put All Corporate Statements to Shame'
Here's How Much a Mask Reduces Coronavirus Transmission
Trump Responds to Mattis' Scathing Rebuke
It Was a Major COVID Study. Now, Something Fishy?
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.