Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Recep Tayyip Erdogan
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41,
Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
Oct 15, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Coal Mine Blast Kills 41, Union Calls It a 'Massacre'
'A frightful scene' in Amasra, Turkey, after Friday explosion
- Funerals for miners killed in a coal mine explosion in northern Turkey began Saturday as officials raised the death toll to at least 41 people. Desperate relatives had waited all night in the cold outside the state-owned Turkish Hard Coal Enterprise's (TTK) mine in the town of Amasra, in...
'Sewer Rat' Insult Does Not
Sit Well With Turkish Leader
Sep 30, 2022 8:53 AM CDT
'Sewer Rat' Insult Does Not Sit Well With Turkish Leader
Recep Tayyip Erdogan sues German lawmaker over insult
- Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is suing a senior German lawmaker who called him a "sewer rat," his lawyer said Friday. Mustafa Kaplan confirmed a report by German weekly
that he had filed a criminal complaint for slander and libel against lawmaker Wolfgang Kubicki on...
WH Issues a Warning on
Putin's Dealings With Iran
Jul 12, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
WH Issues a Warning on Putin's Dealings With Iran
Russian leader, who'll visit Tehran next week, is said to be turning to Iran for 'hundreds' of drones
- Russian President Vladimir Putin will visit Iran next week, the Kremlin said Tuesday, a day after the US warned that Tehran could provide Moscow with drones for its actions in Ukraine. During a trip to Tehran next Tuesday, Putin will attend a trilateral meeting with the leaders of Iran and...
In One Country, the Cost of
Living Is Up Almost 70%
May 5, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
In One Country, the Cost of Living Is Up Almost 70%
Food prices in Turkey have nearly doubled year-on-year
- Like many other countries, Turkey is facing rising inflation caused by factors such as the pandemic and the war in Ukraine. Unlike other countries, Turkey has responded by cutting interest rates, not raising them—and the result has been what one analyst calls a "spectacular failure." Official figures...
Turkey Moves Khashoggi
Murder Trial to ... Saudi Arabia
Apr 7, 2022 7:43 AM CDT
Turkey Moves Khashoggi Murder Trial to ... Saudi Arabia
Country is now accused of trying to cover up its findings as it seeks to restore relations
- A court in Turkey has transferred the trial over Jamal Khashoggi's murder to Saudi Arabia, which is unlikely to even hear it, wiping away hopes from some human rights advocates that justice can finally be achieved for the journalist who was killed and dismembered inside the Saudi Consulate in...
'The Whole World Is Waiting'
Mar 29, 2022 6:33 AM CDT
'The Whole World Is Waiting'
Face-to-face talks between Russia and Ukraine underway in Turkey
- The first face-to-face talks between Russian and Ukrainian diplomats in more than two weeks was underway Tuesday morning in Turkey, though expectations of a major breakthrough were small. "The whole world is waiting ... for good news from you," said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as he opened the...
Amid Lofty Goals,
a More Earthly Snub
Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Lofty Goals, a More Earthly Snub
Israeli minister was shut out of climate meetings because forum wasn't wheelchair accessible
- The world climate summit continues in Scotland, and the coverage of COP26 is wide-ranging. A sample:
The US has formally rejoined a group known as the High Ambition Coalition at the climate talks, reports the
. The group, made up of developed and developing countries, will push for nations
Turkey Pulls Out
of Domestic Violence Treaty
Jul 1, 2021 12:36 PM CDT
Turkey Pulls Out of Domestic Violence Treaty
Thousands were expected to protest around the nation after Erdogan withdraws from Istanbul Convention
- A decade ago, Turkey was the first nation to sign an international treaty meant to protect women from domestic violence. In March, the nation was stunned when President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced he'd issued a decree to pull out of the Istanbul Convention , and on Thursday, that withdrawal was...
Biden, Erdogan Meet at Tense
Time for US-Turkey Relations
Jun 14, 2021 12:01 AM CDT
Biden, Erdogan Meet at Tense Time for US-Turkey Relations
They will meet at the NATO summit in Brussels on Monday
- President Biden and Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan have known each other for years, but their meeting Monday will be their first as heads of state. And it comes at a particularly tense moment for relations between their two countries, the AP reports. The list of disagreements is unusually long...
EU Leader Talks About
Chair Snub Caught on Video
Apr 27, 2021 2:59 PM CDT
EU Leader Talks About Chair Snub Caught on Video
Ursula von der Leyen says Turkey left her standing at meeting because she's a woman
- Turkey, the European Council, and her EU colleague have tried to explain why there was no chair for Ursula von der Leyen at a meeting earlier this month. And von der Leyen looked into the matter herself, examining government documents, but could find no justification for officials at Turkey's...
Erdogan Defiant After Biden's
Statement on Genocide
Apr 26, 2021 6:25 PM CDT
Erdogan Defiant After Biden's Statement on Genocide
'If you call it genocide, go ahead and look in the mirror'
- Turkey’s president said Monday he was "highly saddened" by President Biden’s decision to mark as genocide the mass deportations and massacres of Armenians in the early 20th century, calling it baseless and unjust. Recep Tayyip Erdogan said Biden’s decision undermined Turkish-American relations but also expressed hope...
At 3-Leader Summit,
Only the 2 Men Got Chairs
Apr 7, 2021 2:11 PM CDT
At 3-Leader Summit, Only the 2 Men Got Chairs
EU leader Ursula von der Leyen ended up on sofa during talks in Turkey
- The hashtag #GiveHeraSeat started trending in Europe Tuesday after two European Union leaders of equal rank visited Turkey for talks—and only the male one was offered a chair. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen was left standing awkwardly as Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and EU Council President...
Violence Is Needed
Mar 21, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Biden: Treaty on Domestic Violence Is Needed
President criticizes Turkey for dropping out of international agreement
- President Biden added his voice Sunday to the international criticism of Turkey's decision to drop out of an agreement designed to prevent violence against women. "Countries should be working to strengthen and renew their commitments to ending violence against women, not rejecting international treaties designed to protect women...
on New Monolith
Feb 9, 2021 6:17 PM CST
Mystery Solved on New Monolith
Turkey's space program announcement explains the appearance and disappearance
- The government of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan may not be known as a bunch of pranksters, but it conceded Tuesday that a monolith that mysteriously appeared in a field was an official publicity stunt. The 10-foot-tall monolith was discovered Friday in a field of wheat and olive trees, the...
Turkey Sentences Hundreds
to Life Over Coup Attempt
Nov 26, 2020 4:35 PM CST
Turkey Sentences Hundreds to Life Over Coup Attempt
Pilots, generals received life sentences
- A Turkish court sentenced hundreds of military and civilian personnel at an air base to life prison sentences Thursday, proclaiming them guilty of involvement in the 2016 failed coup attempt against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's government. A total of 475 defendants, including some generals and fighter jet pilots at...
Dishwasher May Have Saved
Toddler in Earthquake
Nov 3, 2020 11:00 AM CST
Dishwasher May Have Saved Toddler in Earthquake
91 hours later, Ayda Gezgin was found in 'life triangle' amid rubble of collapsed building
- Rescues continue after last week's powerful earthquake in Turkey, and a kitchen appliance may have helped save the life of the latest survivor to be found. A day after a 3-year-old girl was pulled out of the debris of a collapsed building in Izmir, another toddler was found alive...
Turkey's Erdogan Keeps
Whaling on Macron, Warns US
Oct 26, 2020 8:31 AM CDT
Turkey's Erdogan Keeps Whaling on Macron, Warns US
Erdogan also takes aim at US for warnings on Azerbaijan-Armenia conflict
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan challenged the US to impose sanctions against his country while also launching a second personal attack Sunday on French President Emmanuel Macron, who has been a vocal critic of Turkish foreign policy in recent months. "The person in charge of France has lost his...
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking
From Its Captivity Chains'
Jul 24, 2020 7:08 AM CDT
'This Is Hagia Sophia Breaking From Its Captivity Chains'
Muslims headed Friday to Istanbul's Hagia Sophia for first prayers there in nearly 9 decades
- Thousands of Muslims converged on Istanbul's landmark Hagia Sophia on Friday to take part in the first prayers in 86 years, at what was once one of Christendom's most significant cathedrals, then a mosque and museum before its reconversion into a Muslim place of worship. Turkish President Recep...
Jubilation, Dismay at Status
Change of Turkish Landmark
Jul 10, 2020 11:42 AM CDT
Jubilation, Dismay at Status Change of Turkish Landmark
Muslims thrilled Hagia Sophia to be reconverted to a mosque; Orthodox Christians, not so much
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Friday reconverted Istanbul’s sixth-century Hagia Sophia into a mosque and declared it open to Muslim worship, hours after a court annulled a 1934 decision that had turned it into a museum. The decision to reconvert Hagia Sophia—a former cathedral that was turned...
After 4 Years, NASA Scientist
Held in Turkey Returns Home
Jun 30, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
After 4 Years, NASA Scientist Held in Turkey Returns Home
Serkan Golge was convicted of involvement in 2016 coup against Erdogan
- Former NASA scientist Serkan Golge, detained on terrorism charges in Turkey, is back on American soil for the first time in four years. The Turkish-American arrived with his family in Washington early Tuesday, some seven months after President Trump said he'd secured a deal for his release, per the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Nazi Hunter Saw a Change in US
Trump on Spy Balloon Reports: 'FAKE DISINFORMATION'
Vendor Serves Up Another 'Insensitive' School Lunch
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.