Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
7.0 Earthquake Hits
Mexico Resort Town
Sep 8, 2021 12:19 AM CDT
7.0 Earthquake Hits Mexico Resort Town
One person reportedly killed near Acapulco
- A powerful earthquake struck near the Pacific resort city of Acapulco on Tuesday night, killing at least one person and causing buildings to rock and sway in Mexico City hundreds of miles away. The US Geological Survey said the quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 and was centered...
Mar 30, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
Placido Domingo Hospitalized in Mexico
Opera singer's coronavirus worsens, but he's said to be responding to treatment
- Just over a week ago, Placido Domingo felt it his "moral duty" to inform the world he'd tested positive for the coronavirus, though he said he was in relatively "good health" despite a fever and coughing. Since then, his condition has worsened enough that he was forced...
All Cops in a
City Just Got Busted
Sep 26, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
All Cops in a Once-Glam Beach City Just Got Busted
Acapulco's police force was believed to be infiltrated by gangs
- Marines surrounded a facility Tuesday in the Mexican beach town of Acapulco, rounding up hundreds of people and stripping them of "weapons, ballistic vests, cartridges, and communication radios," a spokesman for a joint law enforcement and military task force says, per CNN . Those arrested included Acapulco's entire...
Powerful Quake Rattles
Mexico City, Acapulco
Apr 18, 2014 10:59 AM CDT
Powerful Quake Rattles Mexico City, Acapulco
No major reports of damage so far after magnitude-7.2 quake
- A powerful magnitude-7.2 earthquake shook central and southern Mexico today, sending panicked people into the streets. No early reports of major damage or casualties surfaced, despite widespread accounts of shattered windows and falling debris. The US Geological Survey said the quake was centered northwest of Acapulco, where many Mexicans...
Almost 100 in Mexico
Sep 20, 2013 1:02 PM CDT
Storms Killed Almost 100 in Mexico
Some complain that the government isn't helping
- At least 97 people have been confirmed dead in the wake of the tropical storm double-whammy that hit Mexico this week, Mexican authorities announced today—and that's not counting the many still missing. In the small town of La Pintada, for instance, 68 of the town's 800 residents...
Sep 18, 2013 9:08 AM CDT
Storm Maroons 40K Tourists in Acapulco
All fighting for tickets on the few flights out
- Probably not the beach holiday they were hoping for: An estimated 40,000 tourists are stuck in Acapulco, after the Mexican resort was flooded and hit with 13 landslides thanks to Tropical Storm Manuel . Some 2,000 have already been evacuated, but the rest are stuck fighting for a coveted...
Feb 14, 2013 2:47 PM CST
Mexican AG: Rapists Have Confessed, Case Closed
Acapulco moving swiftly in gang rape of 6 Spanish tourists
- Mexico is moving swiftly to put to rest the gang rape of six Spanish tourists in Acapulco: All six suspects in custody have admitted everything, AG Jesus Murillo Karam told a news conference today, according to CNN . "There are already six arrests, confessed, totally confessed the full story of...
5 in Mexico
Feb 11, 2013 7:03 AM CST
Cops Nab 5 in Mexico Tourist Rapes
One woman wasn't attacked because she was Mexican: official
- Mexican police have arrested five suspects in the alleged gang-rape of six Spanish tourists in Acapulco. There are seven total suspects in the attack, says the leader of fifty investigators on the case; the suspects are all between 20 and 30 years old. The arrested suspects' family members are protesting...
Feb 6, 2013 3:13 AM CST
6 Tourists Gang-Raped in Acapulco
Masked gunmen invade beach house
- Police in Acapulco are hunting a gang of men behind a vicious, hours-long attack on a group of Spanish tourists. The five armed and masked attackers raped six Spanish women after forcing their way into a rented beach house and tying up their six male companions, CNN reports. Authorities say...
Dozens Killed in Wave
of Mexican Drug Violence
Aug 10, 2012 4:40 PM CDT
Dozens Killed in Wave of Mexican Drug Violence
More than 40 bodies found in three locales
- Dozens of people were murdered in the last week in a new surge of Mexican drug attacks. Fourteen bodies were found in the state of San Luis Potosi, 17 in the port of Acapulco, and 12 in Mexico City itself, a locale relatively shielded from drug violence, reports the
3 Dead in 6.5 Mexico Quake
Dec 11, 2011 7:29 AM CST
3 Dead in 6.5 Mexico Quake
No major damage reported
- A magnitude-6.5 earthquake struck in Mexico's western Guerrero state last night, shaking buildings and causing panic in the nation's capital and the Pacific resort of Acapulco. Officials say at least three people died, but there were no reports of widespread damage. One man was killed when a...
Nov 8, 2011 8:46 AM CST
2 Peacocks, 19 Prostitutes Found in Mexico Prison
You gotta wonder what they were in for...
- Ah, the finer things in life: marijuana, booze, sex, cockfighting, exotic birds—if you live in Acapulco, all this and more can be found at a prison near you. Mexican authorities conducted a surprise search of the Acapulco penitentiary yesterday morning and found 19 prostitutes, two sacks of marijuana, 100...
5 Severed Heads
Left at Mexican School
Sep 28, 2011 8:06 AM CDT
5 Severed Heads Left at Mexican School
Discovery comes as teachers strike over extortion threats
- Another gruesome discovery in Mexico: Police found a crate with five severed heads outside a primary school in Acapulco, reports the BBC . The victims haven't been identified. The not-so-subtle threat comes amid a teachers' strike in the once-popular resort city, notes NPR . Educators refuse to reopen schools because they...
Five Women Stripped,
Throats Slashed in Mexico
Apr 24, 2011 6:18 AM CDT
Five Women Stripped, Throats Slashed in Mexico
All connected to same beauty parlor, but police have no motive
- Four women and a 14-year-old girl were found brutally murdered, with their throats slashed, in the Mexican beach resort of Acapulco yesterday, reports Reuters . All were connected to a local beauty parlor, although police say they don't have a motive yet. Three were found stripped and bound in the...
5 Kids Killed in
5 Days in Acapulco
Mar 18, 2011 10:26 AM CDT
5 Kids Killed in 5 Days in Acapulco
Youngest victim just 2 as crisis that's claimed 35K continues
- The body of 4-year-old girl who had been shot in the chest was discovered yesterday, the fifth child killed in less than a week as drug violence rages on in Acapulco. The girl was found in a car next to a woman who’d been shot several times; police didn’...
53 Killed in 72 Hours
in Ciudad Juarez
Feb 21, 2011 6:26 AM CST
53 Killed in 72 Hours in Ciudad Juarez
City has seen 8 deaths per day this year
- The number is a hefty one even for the crime-ridden town of Ciudad Juarez: 53 dead in one of the deadliest 72-hour periods the Mexican city has recently seen. Police tell CNN that 14 were killed on Thursday; 20 on Friday; and 19 on Saturday, including a police officer shot...
13 Killed, 14 Decapitated
in Hours in Acapulco
Jan 9, 2011 6:42 AM CST
13 Killed, 14 Decapitated in Hours in Acapulco
Wave of violence sweeps tourist mecca
- This won't exactly help tourism: Acapulco, once known more for its white sand than its white powder, began its weekend with 27 drug cartel-related murders in a matter of hours. Police found 14 decapitated men, along with a 15th corpse, in a shopping center alongside handwritten warnings from a Sinaloa...
Found in Mexican
Nov 4, 2010 1:38 AM CDT
Kidnapped Tourists Found in Mexican Mass Grave
YouTube video leads police to 18 bodies
- Investigators believe 18 bodies found in a mass grave near Acapulco are members of a group of Mexican tourists kidnapped a month ago . Police were led to the mass grave by a video posted on YouTube, in which two men answering questions from an unseen interrogator say they killed the...
Gunmen in Acapulco
Kidnap 22 Men
Oct 2, 2010 5:06 PM CDT
Gunmen in Acapulco Kidnap 22 Men
Resort city has been plagued by drug violence
- Gunmen kidnapped 22 men who were traveling together in Mexico's Pacific coast resort city of Acapulco, authorities said today. The group was visiting from the western city of Morelia and looking for a place to stay when they were abducted Thursday. Witnesses said the men, ranging in age 17 to...
7 Killed in Acapulco Shootout
Sep 24, 2010 5:24 AM CDT
7 Killed in Acapulco Shootout
Mob justice on the rise amid relentless cartel violence
- At least seven people were killed in Acapulco yesterday in what police believe was a clash between rival drug gangs. Guns and grenades were used to attack a house in a residential part of the resort city, AP reports. Further north, suspected cartel hitmen killed the mayor of a small...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Soccer Stampede Leaves at Least 125 Dead
After Key Battlefield Loss, a Big Worry Emerges on Putin
A Shocking Death May Reflect a Disturbing Trend
Best TV Shows of All Time
7 Big Issues on New Supreme Court Docket
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.