Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Storm Raged
Through Acapulco, One
Man's Last Message
Nov 14, 2023 1:14 PM CST
As Storm Raged Through Acapulco, One Man's Last Message
'It's really horrible,' sailor Ruben Torres recorded himself saying as Hurricane Otis struck Mexico
- During the first minutes of Oct. 25, when Hurricane Otis roared into Acapulco Bay with 165mph winds, sailor Ruben Torres recorded a 10-second audio message from a yacht called the Sereno. "All things considered, I'm all right, but it's really horrible, it's really horrible, it's...
Death Toll Rises to 48 After
Hurricane Devastates Acapulco
Oct 30, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
Death Toll Rises to 48 After Hurricane Devastates Acapulco
At least 36 remain missing
- At least 48 people died when Category 5 Hurricane Otis slammed into Mexico's southern Pacific coast—most of them in Acapulco—Mexican authorities said Sunday as the death toll continued to climb and families buried loved ones. Mexico's civil defense agency said in a statement that 43 of...
Left at Least 27 Dead
Oct 26, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Acapulco Hurricane Left at Least 27 Dead
Category 5 storm intensified rapidly and devastated Acapulco
- The first casualty numbers are in for Hurricane Otis, which slammed Mexico's Pacific coast on Wednesday. At least 27 people were killed and another four are missing, reports the AP . One factor under review: why forecasters weren't able to predict the hurricane would intensify as quickly as it...
Category 5 Hurricane
Slams Southern Mexico
Oct 25, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
Category 5 Hurricane Slams Southern Mexico
Hurricane Otis, now a category 4, to drop up to 15 inches of rain in areas
- Hurricane Otis slammed into Mexico's southern Pacific coast as a catastrophic Category 5 hurricane early Wednesday, bringing dangerous winds and heavy rain to Acapulco and surrounding towns, stirring memories of a deadly storm in 1997. Now a Category 4 storm, the hurricane was expected to continue to weaken quickly...
Mexico Finds Capsized Boat
of Missing US Sailor
Jul 26, 2023 7:33 AM CDT
Mexico Finds Capsized Boat of Missing US Sailor
Mexican Navy spots Baltimore man Donald Lawson's racing yacht off Acapulco
- A sailboat belonging to a Baltimore man who lost contact with family two weeks ago while sailing home from Mexico has reportedly been spotted capsized some 300 miles off the Mexican coast. A Mexican Navy search plane spotted what is believed to be Donald Lawson's 60-foot trimaran racing yacht...
7.0 Earthquake Hits
Mexico Resort Town
Sep 8, 2021 12:19 AM CDT
7.0 Earthquake Hits Mexico Resort Town
One person reportedly killed near Acapulco
- A powerful earthquake struck near the Pacific resort city of Acapulco on Tuesday night, killing at least one person and causing buildings to rock and sway in Mexico City hundreds of miles away. The US Geological Survey said the quake had a preliminary magnitude of 7.0 and was centered...
Mar 30, 2020 6:25 AM CDT
Placido Domingo Hospitalized in Mexico
Opera singer's coronavirus worsens, but he's said to be responding to treatment
- Just over a week ago, Placido Domingo felt it his "moral duty" to inform the world he'd tested positive for the coronavirus, though he said he was in relatively "good health" despite a fever and coughing. Since then, his condition has worsened enough that he was forced...
All Cops in a
City Just Got Busted
Sep 26, 2018 8:07 AM CDT
All Cops in a Once-Glam Beach City Just Got Busted
Acapulco's police force was believed to be infiltrated by gangs
- Marines surrounded a facility Tuesday in the Mexican beach town of Acapulco, rounding up hundreds of people and stripping them of "weapons, ballistic vests, cartridges, and communication radios," a spokesman for a joint law enforcement and military task force says, per CNN . Those arrested included Acapulco's entire...
Powerful Quake Rattles
Mexico City, Acapulco
Apr 18, 2014 10:59 AM CDT
Powerful Quake Rattles Mexico City, Acapulco
No major reports of damage so far after magnitude-7.2 quake
- A powerful magnitude-7.2 earthquake shook central and southern Mexico today, sending panicked people into the streets. No early reports of major damage or casualties surfaced, despite widespread accounts of shattered windows and falling debris. The US Geological Survey said the quake was centered northwest of Acapulco, where many Mexicans...
Almost 100 in Mexico
Sep 20, 2013 1:02 PM CDT
Storms Killed Almost 100 in Mexico
Some complain that the government isn't helping
- At least 97 people have been confirmed dead in the wake of the tropical storm double-whammy that hit Mexico this week, Mexican authorities announced today—and that's not counting the many still missing. In the small town of La Pintada, for instance, 68 of the town's 800 residents...
Sep 18, 2013 9:08 AM CDT
Storm Maroons 40K Tourists in Acapulco
All fighting for tickets on the few flights out
- Probably not the beach holiday they were hoping for: An estimated 40,000 tourists are stuck in Acapulco, after the Mexican resort was flooded and hit with 13 landslides thanks to Tropical Storm Manuel . Some 2,000 have already been evacuated, but the rest are stuck fighting for a coveted...
Feb 14, 2013 2:47 PM CST
Mexican AG: Rapists Have Confessed, Case Closed
Acapulco moving swiftly in gang rape of 6 Spanish tourists
- Mexico is moving swiftly to put to rest the gang rape of six Spanish tourists in Acapulco: All six suspects in custody have admitted everything, AG Jesus Murillo Karam told a news conference today, according to CNN . "There are already six arrests, confessed, totally confessed the full story of...
5 in Mexico
Feb 11, 2013 7:03 AM CST
Cops Nab 5 in Mexico Tourist Rapes
One woman wasn't attacked because she was Mexican: official
- Mexican police have arrested five suspects in the alleged gang-rape of six Spanish tourists in Acapulco. There are seven total suspects in the attack, says the leader of fifty investigators on the case; the suspects are all between 20 and 30 years old. The arrested suspects' family members are protesting...
Feb 6, 2013 3:13 AM CST
6 Tourists Gang-Raped in Acapulco
Masked gunmen invade beach house
- Police in Acapulco are hunting a gang of men behind a vicious, hours-long attack on a group of Spanish tourists. The five armed and masked attackers raped six Spanish women after forcing their way into a rented beach house and tying up their six male companions, CNN reports. Authorities say...
Dozens Killed in Wave
of Mexican Drug Violence
Aug 10, 2012 4:40 PM CDT
Dozens Killed in Wave of Mexican Drug Violence
More than 40 bodies found in three locales
- Dozens of people were murdered in the last week in a new surge of Mexican drug attacks. Fourteen bodies were found in the state of San Luis Potosi, 17 in the port of Acapulco, and 12 in Mexico City itself, a locale relatively shielded from drug violence, reports the
3 Dead in 6.5 Mexico Quake
Dec 11, 2011 7:29 AM CST
3 Dead in 6.5 Mexico Quake
No major damage reported
- A magnitude-6.5 earthquake struck in Mexico's western Guerrero state last night, shaking buildings and causing panic in the nation's capital and the Pacific resort of Acapulco. Officials say at least three people died, but there were no reports of widespread damage. One man was killed when a...
Nov 8, 2011 8:46 AM CST
2 Peacocks, 19 Prostitutes Found in Mexico Prison
You gotta wonder what they were in for...
- Ah, the finer things in life: marijuana, booze, sex, cockfighting, exotic birds—if you live in Acapulco, all this and more can be found at a prison near you. Mexican authorities conducted a surprise search of the Acapulco penitentiary yesterday morning and found 19 prostitutes, two sacks of marijuana, 100...
5 Severed Heads
Left at Mexican School
Sep 28, 2011 8:06 AM CDT
5 Severed Heads Left at Mexican School
Discovery comes as teachers strike over extortion threats
- Another gruesome discovery in Mexico: Police found a crate with five severed heads outside a primary school in Acapulco, reports the BBC . The victims haven't been identified. The not-so-subtle threat comes amid a teachers' strike in the once-popular resort city, notes NPR . Educators refuse to reopen schools because they...
Five Women Stripped,
Throats Slashed in Mexico
Apr 24, 2011 6:18 AM CDT
Five Women Stripped, Throats Slashed in Mexico
All connected to same beauty parlor, but police have no motive
- Four women and a 14-year-old girl were found brutally murdered, with their throats slashed, in the Mexican beach resort of Acapulco yesterday, reports Reuters . All were connected to a local beauty parlor, although police say they don't have a motive yet. Three were found stripped and bound in the...
5 Kids Killed in
5 Days in Acapulco
Mar 18, 2011 10:26 AM CDT
5 Kids Killed in 5 Days in Acapulco
Youngest victim just 2 as crisis that's claimed 35K continues
- The body of 4-year-old girl who had been shot in the chest was discovered yesterday, the fifth child killed in less than a week as drug violence rages on in Acapulco. The girl was found in a car next to a woman who’d been shot several times; police didn’...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.