Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
More Dead Whales Are
Turning Up on West Coast
Oct 27, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
More Dead Whales Are Turning Up on West Coast
At least 5 since mid-May, off of California and Canadian coasts
- Scientists are probing the unexplained deaths of a fourth and fifth whale on the US and Canadian west coasts since mid-May. "Spike," a young female humpback first documented by scientists in 2018, was found washed ashore near Vancouver Island on Sunday, just a day after a male humpback...
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back.
Then Cops Found a Freezer
Apr 15, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back. Then Cops Found a Freezer
Michael Patrick Turland accused of stuffing 183 animals in Arizona freezer, some while still alive
- An Arizona man faces animal cruelty charges after 183 dead dogs, rabbits, birds, and other animals were found in a freezer, including some that were apparently frozen while alive, officials said. Local deputies and animal control officers found the animals in a garage freezer April 3 after a woman reported...
Charity on Dogs
in Ukraine Shelter:
'They Died a
Apr 5, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
Charity on Dogs in Ukraine Shelter: 'They Died a Terrible Death'
UAnimals says more than 300 dogs perished at Borodyanka site after no food, water for a month
- As the world recoils at the images of death emerging out of Bucha, Ukraine, Ukrainian officials fear civilian massacres in Borodyanka might be even worse. An animal rights group now announces another apparent horror in the settlement northwest of Kyiv: hundreds of dogs found dead in a shelter, neglected since...
Who Left Dead
Animals on Grave
Was No Woman
Aug 18, 2020 7:55 AM CDT
Cops: 'Woman' Who Left Dead Animals on Grave Was No Woman
Joseph Stroud has been arrested in connection with carcasses left at foe's Arkansas gravesite
- At the end of May, the family of Fred Allen McKinney, who died in 2015, started making some strange finds at his gravesite in Bentonville, Ark.: the carcasses of various animals, which the family initially believed had died after nibbling on fake flowers left in McKinney's memory. According to...
for 10 Days
Mar 12, 2020 8:33 AM CDT
Baboon Moms Seen Holding Offspring Dead for 10 Days
Study took place over 13 years
- An extensive new study on baboons has uncovered a mother-infant bond that persists even in death. Over 13 years, mother chacma baboons in the Namibian desert were observed carrying their dead infants for as long as 10 days before the body was abandoned, say researchers at University College London and...
'Croydon Cat Killer'
Is No Killer at All
Sep 20, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
'Croydon Cat Killer' Is No Killer at All
400 cats weren't killed by human hand, police say
- For three years, Southern England has been in search of the Croydon Cat Killer , the seemingly macabre culprit behind a series of animal killings, mostly in the form of beheadings. Now, after the deaths of some 400 cats, police say the case has been closed—and that the killer wasn'...
The Sheep-Filled Ship Left
Australia, With Horrible Results
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 15, 2018 7:00 PM CDT
The Sheep-Filled Ship Left Australia, With Horrible Results
'60 Minutes' exposes deaths of 2,400 sheep in August 2017
- It's not every day that a livestock-abuse video is set at sea, but such is the situation in Australia. The
New York Times
reports the country's
on Sunday broadcast footage shot by a whistleblower in August 2017 on a ship laden with sheep that was sailing...
Hunter's 'Stupid Mistake'
Leads to Grisly Scene
Dec 21, 2017 12:07 PM CST
Hunter's 'Stupid Mistake' Leads to Grisly Scene
And a malodorous one in Argyle, NY
- The source of a stench that bedeviled the residents of Argyle, NY, this fall has been identified, and it's a grisly one. The
reports hundreds of pounds of rotting moose meat—including the animal's head—were the culprit. After tracing the smell to its source, the state...
Why This One Dead Sea
Creature Is Such a Big Deal
Mar 24, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
Why This One Dead Sea Creature Is Such a Big Deal
Only about 30 vaquita are left, with another carcass found in Gulf of California
- Not even military dolphins could save this vaquita. The carcass of one of the endangered porpoises, whose Spanish name translates to "little cow," was discovered floating near the Baja California shoreline Sunday in the latest blow to a rapidly diminishing population, NBC Los Angeles reports. The vaquita was...
On an Alabama Beach,
57 Dead Sharks
Jul 11, 2016 6:13 AM CDT
On an Alabama Beach, 57 Dead Sharks
The majority were caught in a net: witnesses
- Beachgoers were treated to a jarring sight—and smell—on the western shore of Alabama's Mobile Bay Saturday when they discovered dozens of dead bull sharks. "We kept smelling this awful smell every time a gust of wind would come," a beachgoer tells FOX6 . "We [checked]...
Gruesome Find in
56 Dead Dogs
Dec 21, 2015 5:34 PM CST
Gruesome Find in Arkansas Forest: 56 Dead Dogs
Someone killed dogs in the woods, sheriff says
- Two people from a lumber mill who went looking at timber tracts in a remote part of an Arkansas forest Thursday weren't expecting what they found: at least 56 dead dogs, plus more that were wounded, KY3 reports. The Searcy County sheriff says someone brought the dogs out to...
Dozens of Whales
Dying in Alaska
Aug 21, 2015 6:20 AM CDT
Dozens of Whales Are Mysteriously Dying in Alaska
NOAA will investigate 30 deaths since May
- Some 30 large whales have been found dead in the western Gulf of Alaska since May and the NOAA wants to know why. The agency says it is opening a scientific investigation into what is calls an "unusual mortality event," with the number of whale deaths at three...
Starfish Ripping Off Own Arms
Feb 3, 2014 1:50 PM CST
Starfish Ripping Off Own Arms
Reports of 'sea star wasting syndrome' get more disturbing
- Scientists are still trying to figure out why starfish are dying in massive numbers, turning into what one taxonomist described as "goo piles." The latest news on the die-off is similarly disturbing: One biology professor studied sea stars suffering from what is being called "sea star wasting...
Something Killed 100K
Fish in Nevada Marina
Jan 16, 2014 2:30 PM CST
Something Killed 100K Fish in Nevada Marina
Officials say cold snap could be partially to blame
- State wildlife officials are trying to figure out why all the fish have died in a northern Nevada marina where the stocked fishery has flourished since the man-made lake was created nearly 15 years ago. An estimated 100,000 trout, bass, and catfish have died over the past month in...
100K Dead Bats
Drop From Sky
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jan 12, 2014 7:35 AM CST
100K Dead Bats Drop From Sky in Australia
Heat overtakes 'flying foxes'
- As the US emerged from that whole "polar vortex," Australia saw an intense heatwave last weekend—leading to the deaths of 100,000 bats, many of which reportedly dropped from the sky. In one video that went viral, a man filmed what he estimated to be more than...
Central America Hit By
Mass Die-Off of Sea Turtles
Nov 11, 2013 7:03 AM CST
Central America Hit By Mass Die-Off of Sea Turtles
Scientists aren't sure what's going on
- Between late September and mid-October, 114 sea turtles washed up dead on El Salvador's beaches. All across Central America, the same thing is happening: In Guatemala, 115 have died this year; in Costa Rica, 280; late last year, 200 died in Panama. In Nicaragua, in addition to the turtle...
Lake Turns Animals
Oct 2, 2013 3:10 PM CDT
Lake Turns Animals Into 'Statues'
Tanzania's Lake Natron, probably not a great swimming hole
- We would strongly advise you not to go swimming in Tanzania's Lake Natron. Animals who are immersed in the water not only die, they're calcified and turned into creepy-looking "statues,"
reports. Why is it so inhospitable? Alkalinity is extremely high (between pH 9 and...
Die-Off of Manatees,
Dolphins Baffles in Florida
Jul 11, 2013 1:29 PM CDT
Die-Off of Manatees, Dolphins Baffles in Florida
Hundreds have died since last July in Indian River Lagoon; pelicans also hard-hit
- Hundreds of manatees, dolphins, and pelicans are dying in Florida's Indian River Lagoon, and authorities don't know why. Some of the manatees—111 have perished since last July—have died so quickly, they still have food in their mouths,
reports; they appear to have died from shock...
Now 1K Dead Ducks
Pulled From China River
Mar 25, 2013 8:54 AM CDT
Now 1K Dead Ducks Pulled From China River
As number of dead pigs passes 16K
- First Shanghai pulled thousands of dead pigs from one of its rivers; now another river in China is experiencing a similarly disturbing problem. One thousand dead ducks have been pulled from Nanhe river in Sichuan province, the BBC reports. Residents found the duck carcasses inside more than 50 woven bags...
Sheep Fall From Sky
Jun 1, 2012 9:41 AM CDT
Sheep Fall From Sky After Crash
No humans injured in weird Melbourne accident
- Imagine, for a moment, that you're driving down the highway some night, minding your own business, when suddenly hundreds of sheep fall from the sky and smash into your windshield. That's what happened to motorists in Melbourne yesterday, as a truck carrying 400 sheep crashed and tipped over...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Riots Follow World Cup Upset
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.