Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Hiring Streak in US
Sets an 80-Year Record
Apr 1, 2022 7:44 AM CDT
Hiring Streak in US Sets an 80-Year Record
We've had 11 straight months with gains of more than 400K jobs
- Despite red-hot inflation , US employers kept hiring at a solid pace in March. The key numbers:
Employers added 431,000 jobs for the month, coming in a bit shy of expectations of about 490,000. However, the
Wall Street Journal
points out this marks 11 straight months with gains
In Return to Jobs,
a Huge Gender Gap
Feb 8, 2022 8:47 AM CST
In Return to Jobs, a Huge Gender Gap
BLS stats show 1M-plus men went back to job market in Jan. amid pandemic; only 39K women did
- The pandemic struck a huge blow to the American workforce, but January's jobs report brought some hopeful news, with employers adding 467,000 jobs last month. But the news appears to be better for men than for women, per Axios , which cites a "jaw-dropping" gender disparity in labor...
A Big Sign That the US
Economy Is on the Upswing
Mar 25, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
A Big Sign That the US Economy Is on the Upswing
684K filed for unemployment benefits last week in the US, the lowest number since pandemic began
- The number of people seeking unemployment benefits fell sharply last week to 684,000, the fewest since the pandemic erupted a year ago and a sign that the economy is improving. Thursday's report from the Labor Department showed that jobless claims fell from 781,000 the week before. It'...
Bars, Restaurants Give
a Jolt to February Hiring
Mar 5, 2021 7:52 AM CST
Bars, Restaurants Give a Jolt to February Hiring
Employers overall added 379K jobs, and unemployment fell to 6.2%
- The new unemployment report is out, and the numbers are stronger than expected. The highlights:
Employers added 379,000 jobs in February, above expectations of 210,000, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The figure is well above the 49,000 jobs gained in January.
for Restaurants May
Not Please Servers
Dec 24, 2020 8:02 AM CST
'Year-End Victory' for Restaurants May Not Please Servers
Labor Dept. says employers can mandate tipped workers share their tips
- New changes to Labor Department rules are being called a "year-end victory" for the restaurant industry, per the National Restaurant Association—though servers who rely on tips to boost their sub-minimum-wage pay may not be giving it an enthusiastic thumbs-up. Fox Business reports on a revision made final Tuesday...
Dec 1, 2020 12:20 AM CST
GAO: Weekly Unemployment Numbers Flawed
Government watchdog finds Labor Department has been providing an inaccurate reading
- A government watchdog has found that the Labor Department’s widely watched weekly unemployment benefits data are providing an inaccurate reading on the number of newly laid off workers because of flaws in the government’s data collection. The Government Accountability Office said in a report Monday that the Labor...
Another Rose Garden
Attendee Tests Positive
Oct 14, 2020 6:21 AM CDT
Another Rose Garden Attendee Tests Positive
Trish Scalia, wife of labor secretary, sat beside Kellyanne Conway
- The wife of Labor Secretary Eugene Scalia, who attended the Rose Garden event where Amy Coney Barrett was announced as President Trump's Supreme Court nominee, has tested positive for the coronavirus. Patricia "Trish" Scalia sat behind first lady Melania Trump and next to former White House counselor Kellyanne...
A Welcome Milestone
on Jobless Claims
Aug 13, 2020 9:27 AM CDT
A Welcome Milestone on Jobless Claims
New claims drop below 1M for first time since March
- Layoffs continue five months into the pandemic, but there is a silver lining. Unemployment claims dropped below 1 million last week for the first time since March. There were 963,000 new filings for state unemployment benefits in the week ending Aug. 8—a drop of 228,000 claims from...
Appears to Be
Jun 11, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
With Jobless Numbers, 'Recovery Appears to Be Underway'
But debate continues between GOP, Dems on whether to extend unemployment stimulus relief
- America has started its economic recovery process, reopening businesses in phases across the nation, and the labor market numbers are beginning to reflect that. Per a Thursday release from the Department of Labor, the number of people drawing unemployment benefits for the week ending May 30 fell to 20.9...
Millions More Join the
Ranks of the Unemployed
May 7, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
Millions More Join the Ranks of the Unemployed
20% of US workers have filed for unemployment aid
- Another 3.2 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week, bringing the total over seven weeks to 33.5 million—or one in five Americans who were employed as of February, per the AP . Economists had predicted 3 million claims, Reuters reports. The week ending May 2 was the...
Turns Out We Weren't
Adding 200K Jobs a Month
Aug 22, 2019 6:37 AM CDT
Turns Out We Weren't Adding 200K Jobs a Month
Department of Labor revises job gains figures, with 501K fewer than previously estimated
- It's not uncommon for the Department of Labor to revise job growth numbers. It actually does so annually, when, instead of using the surveys that help form those initial estimates, it reviews unemployment insurance records in each state to come up with more accurate figures. What is uncommon is...
Report: 200K Jobs Added by
US Employers in January
Feb 2, 2018 8:11 AM CST
Report: 200K Jobs Added by US Employers in January
And wage growth is at fastest rate in 8 years
- US employers added a robust 200,000 jobs in January, and wages rose at the fastest pace in more than eight years. The pay gains suggest employers are competing more fiercely for workers. Raises stemming from Republican tax cuts and minimum wage increases in 18 states also likely boosted pay....
Trump Announces His
New Labor Secretary Pick
Feb 16, 2017 12:02 PM CST
Trump Announces His New Labor Secretary Pick
It's Alexander Acosta, former NLRB member
- A day after Andrew Puzder withdrew his name from consideration as Labor secretary, President Trump has announced his replacement pick, Reuters reports. Trump will nominate Alexander Acosta, who served as assistant attorney general for the Civil Rights Division under former President George W. Bush and has also served as a...
Puzder Withdraws His
Nomination as Labor Secretary
Feb 15, 2017 3:00 PM CST
Puzder Withdraws His Nomination as Labor Secretary
His confirmation hearing had been scheduled for Thursday
- Andrew Puzder says he is withdrawing as President Donald Trump's nominee for labor secretary. The fast food executive says in a statement provided to the AP that he was "honored to have been considered by President Donald Trump to lead the Department of Labor and put America's...
Feds Accuse Oracle of Paying
White Men More
Jan 19, 2017 11:22 AM CST
Feds Accuse Oracle of Paying White Men More
And of favoring Asians for tech roles: DOL lawsuit
- Oracle provides contracting services for the feds via its cloud computing software, resulting in "hundreds of millions" of dollars in government contracts, per a Labor Department release. That means the tech company has to adhere to federal nondiscriminatory hiring practices, which a DOL lawsuit announced Wednesday says has not...
We Went From 7.8% to 4.7%
Under Obama's Watch
Jan 6, 2017 7:55 AM CST
We Went From 7.8% to 4.7% Under Obama's Watch
Rate ticked up slightly in December, as expected
- It's the end of an era: The last jobs report that falls fully under President Obama's tenure was issued on Friday, and he'll hand President-elect Donald Trump an economy that boasts a 4.7% unemployment rate. That's a tick up from November's 4.6%, and...
Labor Dept. Wants to Ban
Google From Federal Contracts
Jan 5, 2017 12:55 AM CST
Labor Dept. Wants to Ban Google From Federal Contracts
Feds want tech behemoth to turn over thousands of employee records
- The US Labor Department is trying to bar Google from doing business with the federal government unless the internet company turns over confidential information about thousands of its employees, the AP reports. The potential banishment is being sought in a Labor Department lawsuit filed Wednesday with the Office of Administrative...
Jan 8, 2016 8:05 AM CST
Jobs Report Stronger Than Expected
Number beats estimates as unemployment rate remains unchanged at 5%
- The Labor Department issued a stronger-than-expected jobs report Friday morning: US employers added 292,000 jobs in December, beating expectations and leaving the unemployment rate unchanged at 5%. Given that economists were expecting a mark closer to 200,000, the figure represents a "huge round of job creation" to...
New Jobs Data
'All the Ammo'
Fed Needs to
Dec 4, 2015 7:45 AM CST
New Jobs Data 'All the Ammo' Fed Needs to Raise Rates
Unemployment rate remains at 5%
- The Labor Department is out with what CNBC calls "one of the most anticipated unemployment reports of the year"—and its results have analysts more sure than ever that the Fed will raise interest rates later this month. Employers added 211,000 jobs in November, and the unemployment...
Obama Wants 5M More Americans to Get Overtime
Jun 30, 2015 7:12 AM CDT
Obama Wants 5M More Americans to Get Overtime
His proposal would more than double current salary threshold to $50,440
- "Right now, too many Americans are working long days for less pay than they deserve." Those are President Obama's words in a Huffington Post op-ed about a proposal he predicts would help up to 5 million workers in 2016: increasing the overtime salary threshold from $23,660...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
Musk Declares 'War' on Apple
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.