Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
at Bronx Zoo
Been Her 2nd
Nov 12, 2021 4:15 PM CST
Woman's Stunt at Bronx Zoo May Have Been Her 2nd
Police are seeking trespasser who climbed over barrier at lion exhibit, much like incident in 2019
- An incident at the Bronx Zoo this week was reminiscent of one that took place about two years ago in the same spot—and it looks like it may have been a stunt pulled off by the same perpetrator. NBC News reports that at around 4pm on Thursday, a blonde...
Owners Give Up On Keeping
80lb Cougar in Apartment
Aug 30, 2021 5:50 PM CDT
Owners Give Up On Keeping 80lb Cougar in Apartment
Ill-advised pet is leaving New York and on her way to a wildlife refuge
- A big pet in a little New York City apartment is a challenge. It’s a pretty huge challenge when it’s an 80-pound wild animal. The owners of the pet in question, an 11-month-old cougar raised from a cub, surrendered the animal before anyone got hurt. The cougar, called...
Zoo Tiger Tests Positive
Apr 5, 2020 5:10 PM CDT
Zoo Tiger Tests Positive
Nadia, a 4-year-old Malayan, showed symptoms in March
- A tiger at the Bronx Zoo has tested positive for the new coronavirus, in what is believed to be the first known infection in an animal in the US or a tiger anywhere, federal officials and the zoo said Sunday, per the AP . The 4-year-old Malayan tiger named Nadia—and...
Woman Who Climbed Into
Lion's Den: 'I Am the Lion Now'
Nov 8, 2019 7:10 AM CST
Woman Who Climbed Into Lion's Den: 'I Am the Lion Now'
Myah Autry is in custody on trespassing charges after stunt at Bronx Zoo went viral
- A woman who climbed into a lion's exhibit at New York City's Bronx Zoo in September has turned herself in to police. The
Asbury Park Press
reports that Myah Autry, said to be in her early 30s, has been charged with criminal trespassing after being taken into custody...
Bronx Zoo Visitor
Oct 2, 2019 4:33 AM CDT
Bronx Zoo Visitor Enters Enclosure, Taunts Lion
She danced, waved hands in front of animal
- The Bronx Zoo says a woman who climbed inside its lion exhibit and appeared to taunt one of the animals is lucky she wasn't killed or seriously injured. In video captured by a bystander Saturday, the woman waves at the apparently puzzled male lion and dances, NBC reports. The...
Hoped to Be
Sep 22, 2012 2:36 PM CDT
Zoo Jumper Hoped to Be 'One With the Tiger'
David Villalobos was not attempting suicide: police
- The former real estate agent who leaped into a tiger's den at the Bronx Zoo yesterday planned to be "one with the tiger," not take his own life, police say. David Villalobos, 25, told the officers who saved him that he even petted 11-year-old Bachuta—a 400-pound...
Bronx Zoo Jumper
Survives Tiger Mauling
Sep 22, 2012 6:58 AM CDT
Bronx Zoo Jumper Survives Tiger Mauling
Victim, apparently suicidal, leaped into den from monorail
- Bronx Zoo officials say they won't euthanize a tiger that mauled an apparently suicidal visitor yesterday. The 25-year-old victim survived, though the
says he might lose one of his legs. He horrified fellow riders on the zoo's monorail when he jumped off the ride and into...
3 Kids Among Dead
in SUV Plunge
Apr 29, 2012 7:04 PM CDT
3 Kids Among Dead in SUV Plunge
3 children among fatalities near Bronx Zoo
- Authorities say an out-of-control SUV plunged off a highway into a ravine on the grounds of the Bronx Zoo in New York City, killing seven people aboard, including three children. Police say the victims were an 84-year-old man; three women, ages 80, 45 and 39, and three girls, ages 3...
May 11, 2011 1:58 PM CDT
Runaway Peahen Found in Bronx Garage
Zoo intends to continue allowing her to roam free
- The peahen who busted out of the Bronx Zoo yesterday has been found in a local business’s garage. She’s back home and resting now, after undergoing a veterinary exam, zoo officials tell the
New York Daily News
. They add that despite the incident, they intend to continue to...
From Bronx Zoo
May 11, 2011 3:26 AM CDT
Peacock Escapes From Bronx Zoo
Bird seen roaming NYC streets
- Another exotic animal is on the loose in New York City after escaping from the Bronx Zoo. Net-wielding zoo workers tried and failed to recapture an escaped female peacock seen perched on top of a van a few blocks from the zoo yesterday, reports the
New York Daily News
Cobra Never Left
Zoo's Reptile House
Mar 31, 2011 3:58 PM CDT
Cobra Never Left Zoo's Reptile House
Bronx Zoo 'very happy' to have missing snake back
- She didn't go far: Workers at the Bronx Zoo found their missing cobra curled up in a corner of the zoo's Reptile House, reports the
. She had slithered out of a fiberglass box nearly a week ago but apparently never made it out of the building. Zookeepers shut...
Mar 31, 2011 2:28 PM CDT
Bronx Zoo Finds Missing Cobra
News conference will provide details later
- The cobra that escaped from its enclosure at the Bronx Zoo has been found and is in quarantine, reports NBC News . The poisonous snake went missing on Friday, leading to the closure of the zoo's Reptile House, a frenzied search, and celebrity status for the reptile. It even has its...
Bronx Zoo Cobra
Found ... Sorta
Mar 29, 2011 10:27 AM CDT
Bronx Zoo Cobra Found ... Sorta
It's on Twitter, but it could take weeks to locate it in real life
- The Egyptian cobra missing from the Bronx Zoo has been found ... on Twitter . And apparently she's a big fan of Tina Fey ("OMG! Tina Fey totally just walked by me! HUUUUGE FAN!") and
Dancing With the Stars
("Want to watch Ralph Macchio go down for what...
Loose at the
Mar 27, 2011 1:12 PM CDT
Guess What's Loose at the Bronx Zoo?!
A very deadly Egyptian cobra that someone might want to put back in a cage
- So the Bronx Zoo seems to have misplaced a pesky little thing we like to call a
very deadly, aggressive Egyptian cobra,
New York Post
. The 20-inch adolescent went missing yesterday, and workers who scoured all the likely places it would hide still haven't found it, reports the...
Jun 8, 2010 11:46 AM CDT
Calvin Klein's 'Obsession' Entrances Big Cats
Men's scent becomes secret weapon for zookeepers
- Obsession for Men, Calvin Klein's musky scent for guys, may or may not work to lure the ladies, but it's a huge hit with tigers, leopards, and jaguars of both sexes. It's become the secret weapon of zoologists trying to entice big cats to linger, the
Wall Street Journal
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.