Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Americans Can't Opt Out of Today's 'Presidential Alert'
Message from Trump will be sent to all cellphones
- A text message from President Trump will be sent to more than 200 million US cellphones in a test starting at 2:18pm Eastern on Wednesday—but officials stress that the president won't be texting Americans on a regular basis. The Federal Emergency Management Agency says the "Presidential...
Sweden Telling All Its People How to Prepare for War
'If Sweden is attacked by another country, we will never give up'
- What would you do if you couldn't flush your toilet, access an ATM, turn on your heat, easily buy food, or go online? Those living in Sweden should soon be able to answer those questions. The government will next week send a 20-page pamphlet to each of the country'...
British Columbia Preps Citizens for Zombies
If you're ready for the undead, you're ready for anything
- You've picked on the wrong little girl, zombie! That's the message a feisty British Columbian has for a walker who aims to eat her brains in a video produced by the province to prepare its citizens for an invasion of the undead. Actually, not
. It's a...
Verizon 'Emergency' Text Spooks New Jersey
Customers ordered to 'take shelter now,' but it's just a test
- Verizon sparked panic in central New Jersey yesterday by sending thousands of customers a text message reading: "Civil Emergency in this area until 1:24 PM EST Take Shelter Now US Govern." Verizon says the message, which caused 911 dispatchers to be swamped with calls, was part of...
CDC: Get Ready for Zombie Apocalypse
Or, you know, a hurricane
- The CDC wants to make sure you’re prepared … for a zombie apocalypse. In a blog posting Monday that quickly became the organization’s most popular ever, Assistant Surgeon General Ali Khan offers helpful tips to prepare for the invasion of “flesh-eating zombies.” Conveniently enough, many of...
Fukushima's Disaster Plan: A Stretcher and a Fax
Plant was woefully unprepared for natural disaster
- Tokyo Electric Power Co. had a disaster plan in place at its Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant, but certainly not a very thorough one: It only involved one stretcher, and relied heavily on a satellite phone and fax machine for emergency communications. In a look at the plan, the
Madoff Family's New Gig: High-End Disaster Planning
Catherine Hooper and Andrew Madoff run 'Black Umbrella'
- Are you prepared in the event of a disaster? Well, if you have tons of excess cash, don’t worry: The Madoff family can help. After his father was arrested, Andrew Madoff helped fiancée Catherine Hooper launch a high-end disaster planning service, ABC News reports. Dubbed “Black Umbrella,...
Recession Endangers Emergency Response Plans
Report cites progress but warns of state budget cuts
- States are more prepared than ever to respond to public emergencies, but the recession is putting all those gains at risk, an annual assessment warns. The report from Trust for America’s Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation gives states their highest marks since the report's inception in the...
2-Way Tweeting Helps Louisiana Monitor Spill
Emergency agency makes good use of give-and-take with followers
- Like a lot of other government agencies, Louisiana's emergency-preparedness office uses its Twitter feed to keep citizens updated on issues like the Gulf oil spill. In a neat twist, the office is following thousands of its own followers, "something that a lot of government agencies in the emergency area...
Popular on Newser
Museum Visitor Realizes Where Long-Lost Painting Is
Fight Over Chris Pratt Gets Very Political
Nightmare Projectile Flies Into Student's Car
Giuliani on That Borat Scene: 'I Was Tucking In My Shirt'
Giuliani Appears to Touch Himself in Borat Scene
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Install our app
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.