Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
District Probes 'Shameful
Incident' at Middle School
May 19, 2022 9:45 AM CDT
District Probes 'Shameful Incident' at Middle School
6 middle school students used giant letters to spell out racial slur
- Six Florida middle school students who used large letters to spell out a racial slur can expect the "appropriate disciplinary consequences," the district says. The Martin County School District launched an investigation after a photo appeared on social media of the male students standing outside Hidden Oaks Middle...
Estee Lauder Exec
Fired for Post Causing
Feb 28, 2022 12:40 PM CST
Estee Lauder Exec Fired for Post Causing 'Widespread Offense'
Company says firing was due to John Demsey's Instagram post that featured the n-word
- An Estee Lauder executive's 30-year stretch with the company has come to an end, after a social media post that the company says caused "widespread offense." CNN Business reports that John Demsey has been fired and will be exiting his job this week, after recent posts on...
After N-Word Controversy,
Spotify Still Backing Joe Rogan
Feb 7, 2022 2:11 AM CST
After N-Word Controversy, Spotify Still Backing Joe Rogan
Podcaster had already apologized
Following the latest Joe Rogan controversy, Spotify is still standing by the podcaster. The streaming company's CEO said in a letter to employees released Sunday that he "strongly condemn[s]" Rogan's use of the n-word, but that "silencing Joe is not the answer." He said...
After 'Despicable Act,' Court
Says Man Can Sue Mich. Bar
Apr 26, 2021 8:25 AM CDT
After 'Despicable Act,' Court Says Man Can Sue Mich. Bar
Edward Tyson's suit claims no one from BS & Co. called police after he was called n-word, assaulted
- A Black man who says he was repeatedly called a racial slur and physically attacked outside a Michigan bar by a customer, an incident he says left him with brain damage, is now free to sue the bar after a lower court initially kept him from doing so. The
Judge Steps Down
'All Lives Matter'
Apr 19, 2021 8:44 AM CDT
Judge Steps Down After Declaring 'All Lives Matter'
Colorado's Natalie Chase earns rare public censure for opining on racial justice, using n-word on car ride
- It's exceedingly rare for a judge in Colorado to receive a public censure, but Natalie Chase just earned one, with behavior that's also now led to her leaving the bench. CBS4 reports that the Colorado Supreme Court has accepted the Arapahoe County district court judge's resignation, as...
Boy at Sleepover
Mar 10, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Family Alleges 'Racially Motivated' Attack Against Boy at Sleepover
Black 13-year-old allegedly shot at with BBs, made to drink urine, called the n-word
- School and law enforcement officials in Texas are investigating after a Black boy was allegedly called the n-word and homophobic slurs, shot with BB guns, and made to drink urine during a sleepover at a friend's house. SeMarion Humphrey, a 13-year-old eighth grader at Haggard Middle School, went to...
Figure in Hot
Feb 23, 2021 7:31 AM CST
Another Media Figure in Hot Water Over Racial Slur
Mike Pesca, host of Slate's 'The Gist' podcast, argued with co-workers on Slack about n-word
- In somewhat meta media news, the host for Slate's
podcast has been suspended indefinitely without pay after using a racial slur in a Slack conversation with co-workers about another media figure who used the racial slur. Pesca tells the
New York Times
he was suspended Monday, and...
at Response to
Feb 5, 2021 7:26 AM CST
Staff Miffed at Response to Reporter's Alleged Racist Remarks
Paper's leadership vows 'results' on Donald McNeil, said to have used n-word
- Last month, the
New York Times
found itself embroiled in controversy after dropping journalist Lauren Wolfe . Now a new controversy, this time involving a different reporter, has staff demanding action. It started last week when the Daily Beast reported high-profile health and science veteran Donald McNeil Jr. allegedly used racist...
White Professor on Leave
After Using Chinese Word
Sep 6, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
White Professor on Leave After Using Chinese Word
Greg Patton is no longer teaching his USC course
- A California professor has been replaced for uttering a Chinese word that sounds—in English—like a racist slur, the
reports. Greg Patton was teaching an online communications course for University of Southern California students when he discussed the importance of pausing and using "er" and "...
Cop Repeats N-Word in Tense
Confrontation on Bodycam
Aug 31, 2020 8:11 AM CDT
Cop Repeats N-Word in Tense Confrontation on Bodycam
Sgt. Chad Walker insists he was repeating back what Black bar patron called him in Columbia, SC
- A police effort to enforce a late-night alcohol ban in South Carolina turned ugly over the weekend after one cop was caught on video—recorded by bystanders and also by his own body camera—repeatedly saying the n-word during a heated confrontation with bar patrons. The
Mary Trump: 'Of Course I Did'
Hear Trump Use Racial Slurs
Jul 17, 2020 2:01 AM CDT
Mary Trump: 'Of Course I Did' Hear Trump Use Racial Slurs
Trump's niece is promoting her tell-all about the president
- Promoting her newly published tell-all on the
Rachel Maddow Show
on Thursday night, Mary Trump said that "oh yeah, of course" she's heard her uncle, President Trump, use racist and anti-Semitic slurs, including the n-word. "And I don't think that should surprise anybody given how virulently...
Jun 24, 2020 2:15 AM CDT
Jimmy Kimmel Slammed for 'Non-Apology' Over Blackface
Late night host is being criticized by some for his statement
- Jimmy Kimmel is joining the long list of entertainers apologizing for past use of blackface—although he may have simply added more fuel to the fire with what some are calling a "non-apology." The late night host impersonated celebrities including Karl Malone and Oprah Winfrey in a series...
They Did a Mock Cooking Show
on TikTok. Now, No Graduation
Apr 20, 2020 10:15 AM CDT
They Did a Mock Cooking Show on TikTok. Now, No Graduation
High school seniors in Georgia 'no longer students' after racist video goes viral
- "Viral racism has consequences," notes the Root , and it's a lesson that two Georgia teens just learned the hard way. The unnamed seniors at Carrollton High School won't be walking down the graduation aisle with their classmates after a TikTok video posted last week showed them...
For 2nd Time in 2 Weeks, OU
Professor Uses N-Word in Class
Feb 25, 2020 10:30 AM CST
For 2nd Time in 2 Weeks, OU Professor Uses N-Word in Class
Incident occurred before action steps from last incident could be carried out
- Two weeks after a University of Oklahoma professor made headlines for his use of the n-word in class , another University of Oklahoma professor is making headlines for using the n-word in class. This time around it was a history professor, and OU says in a statement that she issued a...
Professor's 'OK Boomer'
Comparison Blows Up
in case you missed it
Feb 16, 2020 10:50 AM CST
Professor's 'OK Boomer' Comparison Blows Up
University of Oklahoma denounces Peter Gade's comments in class
- A University of Oklahoma journalism professor is in hot water after using the n-word in class—and claiming that the phrase "OK boomer" is comparable to the racial slur. Peter Gade , who has been on the school's faculty since 1998, is director of graduate studies at the Gaylord...
CEO Who Called Uber Driver
the N-Word Booted From
His Own Company
Feb 10, 2020 6:05 PM CST
CEO Who Called Uber Driver the N-Word Booted From His Own Company
Hans Berglund, 71, says his life has been ruined by the incident
- The CEO of an Arizona-based organic fertilizer company has been booted from his own business after hurling the n-word at an Uber driver. Hans Berglund, 71, who is also the founder of Agroplasma, hailed a ride Jan. 31 and got in the front seat of the car that responded—apparently...
Camila Cabello: Racist Posts
a Result of Ignorance, Not Hate
Dec 19, 2019 1:34 PM CST
Camila Cabello: Racist Posts a Result of Ignorance, Not Hate
Singer apologizes for recently unearthed Tumblr account
- Today, Camila Cabello is a popular 22-year-old Cuban-American singer, perhaps currently best known for her award-winning duet with Shawn Mendes, "Señorita." A few years ago, however, she was allegedly a teenager who made racist jokes on a Tumblr account unearthed this week in this Twitter thread . The...
Gov. Cuomo in
Hot Water Over N-Word
Oct 15, 2019 5:37 PM CDT
Gov. Cuomo in Hot Water Over N-Word
He used it while discussing a 'New York Times' article that also used it uncensored
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is being criticized for using a racial slur for African Americans while discussing historical discrimination toward dark-skinned Italian immigrants, the AP reports. Cuomo used the slur Tuesday in an interview on WAMC radio while speaking about Columbus Day and a recent
New York Times
Heckled as 'Fredo,'
Blows His Top
Aug 13, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Heckled as 'Fredo,' Chris Cuomo Blows His Top
CNN anchor was seen in viral video getting into confrontation with heckler on Long Island
- Chris Cuomo was involved in an expletive-filled confrontation on Long Island over the weekend after a man referred to the CNN anchor as a much-mocked character from
. Mediaite reports Cuomo was at a Shelter Island bar Sunday when an unidentified man reportedly called the 49-year-old newscaster "Fredo,...
She Said They Were Too
Loud at Dinner, Hurled N-Word
Jul 26, 2019 7:24 AM CDT
She Said They Were Too Loud at Dinner, Hurled N-Word
Nancy Goodman isn't sorry for saying it at NC restaurant
- A confrontation in a North Carolina restaurant ended with a racial slur—and the woman who said it says she'd say it again. NBC News reports on Nancy Goodman, a white patron at Bonefish Grill in North Hills, who got into a verbal tiff Tuesday with three black patrons—...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
5 Murders Since July May Be Work of Serial Killer
Suspiciously Heavy Fish Lead to Chaos at Tournament
High School Football Team Cancels Entire Season After 'Slave Auction'
Susan Collins: 'I Wouldn't Be Surprised' if a Lawmaker Is Killed
After Late-Night Fatal Crash, an iPhone Calls for Help
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.