Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Media Attention Fades, but
Their Well Water Is Still Foul
Feb 19, 2022 3:25 PM CST
Media Attention Fades, but Their Well Water Is Still Foul
Associated Press looks at the legal aftermath of fracking in Dimock, Pennsylvania
- Meeting with a man whose well water has been polluted for years, officials in the Pennsylvania attorney general’s office asked him whether he’d consider accepting a treatment system from the gas driller charged with fouling his aquifer. Not a chance, Ray Kemble of Dimock told them. "Are...
State: Let's Use
$16M in Virus
Aid for Fracking
Oct 25, 2020 2:30 PM CDT
State: Let's Use $16M in Virus Aid for Fracking
North Dakota officials say it would create jobs, but critics are outraged
- North Dakota officials are hoping to use federal coronavirus funds for fracking grants—a move that has critics up in arms, the
Grand Forks Herald
reports. A state energy commission voted unanimously Friday to reallocate over $221 million in congressional virus aid to state agencies, including $16 million for fracking....
A Stunning Reversal
on Big Pipeline
Jul 6, 2020 1:21 AM CDT
A Stunning Reversal on Big Pipeline
Atlantic Coast Pipeline is no longer happening
- The companies looking to build the controversial Atlantic Coast Pipeline have abandoned the $8 billion project, a stunning reversal that got this reaction out of a senior attorney for the Southern Environment Law Center: "Wow! Wow!" Dominion Energy and Duke Energy partnered on the 600-mile-long, 42-inch-wide natural gas...
Secret on His
Mar 21, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
RuPaul Reveals 'Hypocritical' Secret on His 60K Acres
America's favorite drag queen talks about his property in Wyoming, South Dakota
- RuPaul, the fracking queen? Apparently so. The host of RuPaul's Drag Race let slip in an interview that he's leasing out his massive Wyoming and South Dakota acreage to oil companies, the
reports. In an NPR interview, the revered drag queen corrected host Terry Gross about his...
Over 7 Hours, 10 Candidates
Talked Climate Change
Sep 5, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Over 7 Hours, 10 Candidates Talked Climate Change
Democrats reveal their priorities in CNN town halls
- Top Democratic presidential contenders talked tough Wednesday on cutting climate-damaging emissions from oil, gas, and coal, turning their focus to global warming in a marathon evening of town halls. While Republicans might find ammunition in the overwhelming—and overwhelmingly costly—scope of the plans, the 10 Democrats who participated in...
Judge Blocks Wyoming
Drilling, Cites Climate Change
Mar 21, 2019 8:03 AM CDT
Judge Blocks Wyoming Drilling, Cites Climate Change
Governor criticizes, but environmental advocates sees decision as 'Holy Grail'
- A judge blocked oil and gas drilling across almost 500 square miles in Wyoming and said the US government must consider climate change more broadly as it leases public land for energy exploration. The order marks the latest in a string of court rulings over the past decade that have...
Babies Born Near Fracking
Wells Are Smaller
Dec 15, 2017 8:58 AM CST
Babies Born Near Fracking Wells Are Smaller
Risk is especially high for those within half-mile, says big new study out of Pennsylvania
- Expectant moms who live close to fracking sites are significantly more likely to give birth to underweight babies, according to a comprehensive new study out of Pennsylvania. And the closer they are to the well, the greater the risk, say researchers in the journal
. The researchers found that...
Nuns Oppose Fracking Pipeline
by Building Chapel in Cornfield
Jul 20, 2017 12:54 PM CDT
Nuns Oppose Fracking Pipeline by Building Chapel in Cornfield
Natural gas pipeline would go through land they consider sacred
- The sisters of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ order own land in Lancaster County, Penn., that they consider sacred. Now Williams, an energy company, wants to run a gas pipeline through that land—and the nuns have constructed a chapel on the grounds, in the middle of a...
EPA Does U-Turn
on Fracking's Threat
to Drinking Water
Dec 14, 2016 4:05 AM CST
EPA Does U-Turn on Fracking's Threat to Drinking Water
Agency now says scale of impact is unknown
- Weeks before it gets an exceptionally fracking-friendly new chief , the Environmental Protection Agency has done a U-turn on the threat the process may pose to drinking water. The final version of a long-awaited report has removed a sentence that says fracking is not having a "widespread, systemic impact" on...
EPA Shuts 17
Sep 7, 2016 8:25 AM CDT
EPA Shuts 17 Fracking Wells After Okla.'s Strongest Quake
Wells were on tribal land; dozens of others will also close
- Federal regulators have shut down 17 wastewater disposal wells in the Osage Nation of northeastern Oklahoma following a weekend earthquake that matched the state's strongest on record, state officials confirmed Tuesday. Because the wells are located on tribal land, Oklahoma regulators have no jurisdiction over oil- and gas-producing facilities...
Get Out of Our Class
Sep 1, 2016 7:03 AM CDT
Profs: Doubt Climate Change? Get Out of Our Class
Hundreds have objected to UCCS course online
- Hundreds online are fuming after professors at the University of Colorado told students that man-made climate change wouldn't be open for debate in their online course. In an email to students who complained after an initial lecture for "Medical Humanities in the Digital Age," professors Rebecca Laroche,...
Rejects Plea Deal
in Trespass Case
Aug 1, 2016 2:21 AM CDT
Gore Daughter Rejects Plea Deal in Trespass Case
She says she won't stay away from Boston pipeline protest
- Karenna Gore isn't backing down from Boston's fracking pipeline protests. Al Gore's daughter, who was arrested after blocking pipeline construction during a protest last month, has rejected a plea deal on trespassing charges that would have required her to stay away from the natural gas pipeline site...
Lawsuit: CEO Used
$1M in Funds on
Escorts, Strip Clubs
Jun 24, 2016 6:55 PM CDT
Lawsuit: CEO Used $1M in Funds on Escorts, Strip Clubs
Chris Faulkner allegedly charged it to his 'whore card'
- A Texas energy company CEO dubbed the "frack master" is charged with defrauding investors of about $80 million, including misappropriating at least $30 million for personal expenses, including private jets and gentlemen's clubs, to "maintain a lifestyle of decadence and debauchery," according to a lawsuit filed...
Cops: No Sign Fracking Tycoon Killed Himself
Jun 8, 2016 1:29 AM CDT
Cops: No Sign Fracking Tycoon Killed Himself
He died in fiery wreck a day after indictment
- The timing of energy tycoon Aubrey McClendon's death raised suspicions , but police say they've found no connection between the fiery car crash he died in and the fact that the former Chesapeake Energy CEO had been indicted just a day earlier for alleged bid-rigging, reports the
River on Fire,
Apr 25, 2016 6:25 PM CDT
Lawmaker Sets River on Fire, Blames Fracking
Jeremy Buckingham makes his case in Australia
- Could fracking be behind methane gas that's bubbling up in an Australian river? A lawmaker there gave his answer by going out on a boat and setting fire to the water, ABC News Australia reports. "Unbelievable!" says Jeremy Buckingham in a video (WARNING: LANGUAGE) as flames leap...
Jury Awards 2 Couples
$4.2M Over Fracking Pollution
Mar 11, 2016 9:50 AM CST
Jury Awards 2 Couples $4.2M Over Fracking Pollution
Couples argued methane reached water wells in Pennsylvania
- It was worth the wait: Two Pennsylvania couples were awarded $4.2 million on Thursday, more than six years after first accusing Cabot Oil & Gas of contaminating their well water. Originally among a group of 44 Susquehanna County residents who sued Cabot in 2009, these two couples—Nolen Scott...
Dies in Crash
One Day After
Mar 3, 2016 12:03 AM CST
Energy Tycoon Dies in Crash One Day After Indictment
Aubrey McClendon 'drove straight into the wall'
- Just a day after being indicted by a federal grand jury over alleged bid rigging, energy tycoon Aubrey McClendon died Wednesday morning in a fiery car wreck that occurred after he "drove straight into [a] wall" in Oklahoma City. Authorities say they need time to determine if the crash—...
in US City
Jun 17, 2015 5:07 PM CDT
Huge Fracking Leak Forced Evacuation in US City
Officials in Arlington, Texas, take Vantage Energy to task
- A massive leak of fracking fluid poured into the streets of Arlington, Texas, two months ago and forced the evacuation of a hundred homes. Now city officials have taken Vantage Energy to task for its "unacceptable" handling of the 43,000-gallon spill, WFAA reports. During a city council meeting...
EPA: Fracking Has
Jun 4, 2015 12:37 PM CDT
EPA: Fracking Has No 'Widespread' Impact on Drinking Water
But environmentalists says the report raises plenty of red flags, too
- The EPA issued a major report today about whether fracking poses a risk to drinking water, and the main conclusion "hands a victory to the oil and gas industry," writes Politico . That's because the five-year study found no evidence that the practice has a "widespread, systemic...
Apr 22, 2015 7:58 AM CDT
Oklahoma: Yes, Fracking Causes Earthquakes
Wastewater injection 'very likely' responsible for record tremblors
- Oklahoma's government is siding with science , confirming that yes, fracking is largely responsible for the small, daily earthquakes rattling the state. The state's energy and environment department yesterday put up a website describing key evidence, just as the Oklahoma Geological Survey said in a statement that "the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Multiple People Now 'on the Radar' in JonBenet Case
Family in 'Unbearable Pain' After Mother Found in Gator's Jaws
Russell Brand's Troubles Get Worse
'Nightmare' Exodus Begins Amid Fears of Ethnic Cleansing
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.