Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
AMC CEO Sent Woman Photos,
She Used Them to Extort Him
Oct 13, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
AMC CEO Sent Woman Photos, She Used Them to Extort Him
NY woman, convicted of cyberstalking, reportedly demanded $300K from Adam Aron
- The CEO of AMC Theaters sent sexually explicit images and messages to a woman who later tried to extort hundreds of thousands of dollars from him. Adam Aron fessed up to the mess Thursday on X after Semafor identified him as the CEO involved in the case. "I became...
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left
'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
May 10, 2023 7:44 AM CDT
Feds: Twitter Hacker Left 'Impressive Trail of Destruction'
UK man pleads guilty to scheme that targeted accounts of 130-plus names, including Musk, Biden
- A UK man arrested in Spain two summers ago and accused of hacking into the Twitter accounts of some big names—including the current owner of the platform himself—has pleaded guilty to the plot, which also involved the theft of a hefty amount of crypto. On Tuesday, the US...
'This Guy Stalked
Me and Groomed Me
When I Was a Child'
Jan 9, 2023 9:04 AM CST
'This Guy Stalked Me and Groomed Me When I Was a Child'
'LA Times' talks to woman who says she conversed for years as a young teen with Austin Edwards
- Austin Edwards is dead, as are three others he murdered in November in California after catfishing one victim's teen daughter . But his story has been revived once more, thanks to a woman now speaking out who says the former Virginia cop similarly groomed her, pressuring her to share nude...
Their Scheme Made
Couple's Life 'Hell.'
Now, Prison Time
Sep 30, 2022 7:20 AM CDT
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Ex-eBay execs sentenced to 24 months, 57 months for their role in harassment campaign
- Two former eBay executives are headed to prison for their role in a harassment and intimidation campaign against a Massachusetts couple whose newsletter reporting on the company angered its leadership. Reuters reports that 50-year-old David Harville, once eBay's chief of global resiliency, was sentenced Thursday to two years behind...
They Were Sent
Wreath. Now, a
Final Guilty Plea
May 13, 2022 7:47 AM CDT
They Were Sent Roaches, Funeral Wreath. Now, a Final Guilty Plea
Former eBay exec David Harville admits to harassing couple who published newsletter
- A former eBay executive pleaded guilty Thursday to participating in a scheme to terrorize the creators of an online newsletter. David Harville, eBay's former director of global resiliency, is the final onetime eBay employee charged in the case to plead guilty, per the AP . Six others have admitted to...
'Britain's Worst Cyberstalker'
Operated Openly for 11 Years
Apr 9, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
'Britain's Worst Cyberstalker' Operated Openly for 11 Years
Police did little or nothing while Matthew Hardy made stalking his 'life's work'
- Matthew Hardy's roots as a stalker date to his socially isolated high school days, when he opened his first Facebook account. One of his earliest victims tells Sirin Kale for the
that starting in 2009 "a random person would … start messaging me. They’d say my...
FBI: Woman, 46, Cyberbullied
Teen Boys for Years
Apr 23, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
FBI: Woman, 46, Cyberbullied Teen Boys for Years
'Traumatized' victims were forced to change their numbers, and seek therapy
- A California woman could face 10 years behind bars for an alleged years-long harassment campaign against three boys who dated a girl identified as her "co-conspirator." According to a DOJ press release, "In each case, after the relationship ended, [Ramajana Hidic] Demirovic engaged in a campaign to...
Cyberstalker Harassed Woman
Who Survived Attack as a Girl
Apr 10, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Cyberstalker Harassed Woman Who Survived Attack as a Girl
Alvin Willie George looked up old case, sent victim crime scene photos, threats
- A Florida man is going to prison for his particularly cruel version of cyberstalking. Alvin Willie George, 25, harassed a woman who survived a throat-slashing as a child by sending her photos of the crime scene along with messages threatening to rape and kill her, reports the
Coach Was Fired
Conduct.' Then a
Sick Scheme Emerged
Apr 8, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
Coach Was Fired for 'Inappropriate Conduct.' Then a Sick Scheme Emerged
Steve Waithe allegedly fooled students into sending him nude photos
- A former track and field coach at Northeastern University amassed 300 nude and semi-nude images of student athletes using an elaborate scheme involving social media, according to prosecutors. Steve Waithe, 28, of Chicago—who's also coached at the University of Tennessee, Penn State, the Illinois Institute of Technology, and...
Police: Fake Dating Profile
Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Nov 27, 2020 1:28 PM CST
Police: Fake Dating Profile Invited Men for Sex, Meth
Suspect and victim have never met but have dated the same man
- The threatening texts and phone calls began in October. The 36-year-old Key West woman blocked the calls, only to have them start up again from other numbers. "You think texts are bad, next is your house and your job," Florida police said Vanessa Marie Huckaba told her at...
Feds: EBay Staff Sent Roaches,
Pig Fetus to Critical Couple
Jun 16, 2020 9:35 AM CDT
Feds: EBay Staff Sent Roaches, Pig Fetus to Critical Couple
6 former employees charged in scheme to harass newsletter staff
- Six former employees of eBay were so "enraged" over a newsletter for eBay sellers that they sent the authors a pile of horrible stuff, including live cockroaches and spiders, a preserved pig fetus, and a bloody pig-face mask, say federal authorities. Involvement in the scheme to "emotionally and...
Calif. Man Sentenced for
Harassing Parkland Families
Mar 3, 2020 8:07 AM CST
Calif. Man Sentenced for Harassing Parkland Families
Brandon Fleury gets 5.5 years for cyberstalking, threats
- A 22-year-old California man has been sentenced to 5.5 years in prison for harassing friends and family of victims of the 2018 mass shooting in Parkland, Fla. Brandon Fleury, a Santa Ana resident, was convicted of three counts of interstate cyberstalking and one count of interstate transmission of a...
Utah Family Tormented by
Unwanted Knocks on Door
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 1, 2019 6:43 AM CST
Utah Family Tormented by Unwanted Knocks on Door
A Hawaii man was arrested Friday
- A Hawaii man tormented a Utah family for over a year by sending more than 500 people to their house for unwanted services including food deliveries, repairs, tow trucks, locksmiths, plumbers, and prostitutes, according to a US prosecutor who called it "extreme cyberstalking." Loren Okamura, 44, targeted a...
Cops: NY Woman Harassed
Toddler With Rare Disorder
Nov 11, 2019 8:11 AM CST
Cops: NY Woman Harassed Toddler With Rare Disorder
Krista Sewell is accused of stalking 2-year-old Anna, who has condition that makes her skin split
- "Over the past year, I have fought a battle I never thought I would fight and I felt fear no mother should feel," says Jennie Riley. The battle the upstate New York mom refers to is that of a harassment campaign against her toddler, allegedly carried out by...
Facebook's New Headache: It
Might Employ a 'Pro Stalker'
May 1, 2018 8:46 AM CDT
Facebook's New Headache: It Might Employ a 'Pro Stalker'
Company looking into claim that security engineer used his access to data to cyberstalk women
- Already under fire for its user data scandal , Facebook is facing new allegations on the misuse of customer data that veer into the cyberstalking realm. It started on Sunday with a tweet from Jackie Stokes, head of the Spyglass Security computer security firm: "I've been made aware that...
Girl Complained About Bullying,
Killed Herself Minutes Later
Jan 23, 2018 11:00 AM CST
Girl Complained About Bullying, Killed Herself Minutes Later
2 kids now charged with cyberstalking
- While suspended from school for an alleged fight, 12-year-old Gabriella "Gabbie" Green walked into her mother's bedroom on Jan. 10 to complain about "girl drama" and the "particularly heavy" harassment she was receiving from classmates. Forty minutes later, she was found dead of a suicide that'...
Cyberstalking in Congress:
2 Former Staffers Charged
Jul 14, 2017 4:07 AM CDT
Cyberstalking in Congress: 2 Former Staffers Charged
Private photos and videos surfaced last year
- Almost exactly a year ago, in July 2016, a "playful" family video and a handful of private nude images shared between husband and wife were posted online by an anonymous user who encouraged people to distribute them widely, per Politico . But the content wasn't about just anybody, it...
Man Who Wanted to Vilify Ex
Arrested in JCC Case: Feds
Mar 3, 2017 10:15 AM CST
Man Who Wanted to Vilify Ex Arrested in JCC Case: Feds
Juan Thompson, arrested in St. Louis, believed to be behind at least 8 threats
- A jilted ex-boyfriend is behind at least eight of the scores of threats made against Jewish community centers nationwide, plus a bomb threat to New York's Anti-Defamation League, in an effort to harass and vilify his former girlfriend, federal officials said Friday. Juan Thompson was arrested in St. Louis...
Former Ryan Intern Arrested in Nude Photo Scheme
Apr 24, 2013 10:29 AM CDT
Former Ryan Intern Arrested in Nude Photo Scheme
Adam Savader alleged to have cyberstalked, extorted women
- Adam Savader: "American patriot," "Reagan Republican," alleged sleazebag? The 21-year-old, who worked as an intern on the Romney/Ryan campaign and was a campaign staffer for Newt Gingrich, was yesterday charged with cyberstalking and blackmailing women into sending him nude photos of themselves, Politico reports. Savader allegedly...
Arizona Bill Outlaws
Being Annoying Online
Apr 4, 2012 3:15 PM CDT
Arizona Bill Outlaws Being Annoying Online
Critics say anti-trolling bill violates the First Amendment
- Arizona is hunting trolls. The state's House and Senate have passed a bill that would make it illegal to post messages online "with the intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy, or offend," HLN reports. The bill is descended from old phone laws targeting prank callers and...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
'Unapproved' Schools Illustrate an Education Trend
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.