Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Looking for a
Likely Fed to Reptiles
Nov 17, 2023 12:57 PM CST
250 Animals Looking for a 'Forever Home' Likely Fed to Reptiles
Transfer to Humane Society of Southern Arizona didn't end as planned
- "A Hollywood horror writer couldn't write something like this." That's how the CEO of the San Diego Humane Society put it to the
when discussing what befell the 318 small animals that were transferred to the Humane Society of Southern Arizona in early August....
Zoo Accused of Being 'One
of the Worst' Is No More
Aug 28, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Zoo Accused of Being 'One of the Worst' Is No More
South Carolina's Waccatee Zoo has been shuttered as part of a settlement with PETA
- Three months ago, PETA removed nine animals from what it called "one of the worst roadside zoos in America." Now, that venue has been shut down for good. The animal rights group has reached a settlement with the Waccatee Zoo, located in South Carolina's Myrtle Beach area,...
Supreme Court Delivers
a Defeat to Pork Industry
May 11, 2023 1:52 PM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers a Defeat to Pork Industry
Justices reject challenge to animal cruelty law in California that has effects beyond the state
- The Supreme Court has handed the pork industry a defeat, rejecting a challenge brought against an animal cruelty law in California. Justices decided that lower courts were correct in dismissing the challenge to the law, which requires more space for breeding pigs, reports the AP . The 2018 law stipulates that...
Dogs Here May Soon See
Big Changes to Their Car Rides
Feb 22, 2023 9:25 AM CST
Dogs Here May Soon See Big Changes to Their Car Rides
New Florida bill would ban pups sticking their heads out windows of moving cars, sitting in driver's lap
- When dogs go for car rides, many of them use the time to "drive and chill," sticking their heads out the window to catch the cool breeze as their human cruises along the thoroughfare. In Florida, however, that kind of carefree canine behavior may soon be coming to...
There's an 'Animal Welfare
Disaster' You Don't Know About
Jan 22, 2023 1:10 PM CST
There's an 'Animal Welfare Disaster' You Don't Know About
Vox takes a look at the export of live animals, particularly by sea
- It's an "animal welfare disaster" that's gone largely "unnoticed by the public," writes Sophie Kevany in a piece for Vox that details the issue at length: animals exported alive to other countries. That may sound relatively innocuous, but the reality of these transfers, particularly those...
Reuters: Musk Firm Has Killed
1.5K Animals in Experiments
Dec 6, 2022 10:00 AM CST
Reuters: Musk Firm Has Killed 1.5K Animals in Experiments
Sources say pressure from Musk is leading to rushed Neuralink experiments
- At a demonstration for Neuralink last week, Elon Musk showed off a test monkey that had one of his company's brain implants inserted. He said "the monkeys actually enjoy doing the demos," and there was nothing evident from the monkey onstage that there was anything amiss. Musk...
4K Beagles From 'Troubled'
Research Facility Need Homes
Jul 12, 2022 2:58 PM CDT
4K Beagles From 'Troubled' Research Facility Need Homes
Judge approved plan that will see the Humane Society handle their transfer
- Some 4,000 beagles who had been kept at what
calls a "troubled research beagle breeding facility in Cumberland, Virginia" are now in need of homes. The
New York Times
reports USDA investigators alleged facility operator Envigo violated federal regulations dozens of times since since 2021 , and on...
Animal Welfare Protest Halts
NBA Game, Again
Apr 24, 2022 7:30 AM CDT
Animal Welfare Protest Halts NBA Game, Again
Demonstrators allege bad practices at egg farm run by Minnesota Timberwolves owner
- What is getting to be a familiar scene unfolded at a playoff game Saturday night between the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Memphis Grizzlies. A woman bolted onto the court shortly after the third quarter began before being quickly tackled by security, reports
. A second woman in the stands...
Cage-Free Eggs Become
Standard After Years of Debate
Feb 12, 2022 2:40 PM CST
Cage-Free Eggs Become Standard After Years of Debate
Producers have yielded to animal welfare groups, grocers, and restaurants
- With little fuss and even less public attention, US egg producers are in the midst of a multibillion-dollar shift to cage-free eggs that is dramatically changing the lives of millions of hens in response to new laws and demands from restaurant chains. The percentage of hens in cage-free housing has...
UK Set to Acknowledge
These Creatures Have Feelings
Nov 23, 2021 9:50 AM CST
UK Set to Acknowledge These Creatures Have Feelings
Crab, octopus, and other cephalopods, decapods, vertebrates to be classified as sentient beings
- A bill designating octopus, lobster, crab, and other animals as sentient beings capable of experiencing feelings and sensations including pain and distress, now moving through the UK parliament , could transform how such animals are treated in the country. The bill, which would see the creation of an Animal Sentience Committee...
New Rules Could Take Bacon
Off the Table in California
Aug 1, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
New Rules Could Take Bacon Off the Table in California
Voters approved an animal welfare measure that pork producers aren't ready for
- Thanks to a reworked menu and long hours, Jeannie Kim managed to keep her San Francisco restaurant alive during the pandemic. That makes it all the more frustrating that she fears her breakfast-focused diner could be ruined within months by new rules that could make one of her top menu...
Texas Governor's Surprise
Veto Spurs a Hashtag
Jun 24, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
Texas Governor's Surprise Veto Spurs a Hashtag
Greg Abbott nixes bill on tethering dogs, leading to #AbbottHatesDogs trend
- A bipartisan bill in Texas meant to protect dogs from abuse easily passed the state House and Senate with backing from law enforcement, animal control officers, and animals rights activists before landing on the desk of Gov. Greg Abbott—who then vetoed it. Friday's surprise move spawned the trending...
for Bringing Bear
on Campaign Trail
May 26, 2021 12:08 PM CDT
Candidate Sued for Bringing Bear on Campaign Trail
'Tag' has been part of John Cox's 'Beast' campaign for California governor
- The theme of California gubernatorial candidate John Cox's campaign is "Beauty and the Beast"—with himself as the "beast" and Gov. Gavin Newsom as the "beauty"—and animal welfare groups are concerned about the actual beast he has made campaign appearances with. In a...
Dozens of Underfed Big Cats
Rescued From Tiger King Park
May 21, 2021 5:11 AM CDT
Dozens of Underfed Big Cats Rescued From Tiger King Park
Feds say 68 animals were seized from Jeff and Lauren Lowe's park
- Some 68 underfed and neglected big cats from a park owned by Joe Exotic's former business partner will go to "responsible animal preserves where they can be safely maintained rather than exploited," the Justice Department says. The animals—seven lions, 46 tigers, 15 lion-tiger hybrids, and one...
Plane Packed With 500 Puppies
Lands, With 38 of Them Dead
Jun 21, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Plane Packed With 500 Puppies Lands, With 38 of Them Dead
Witness calls Toronto arrival of plane from Ukraine a 'horror show'
- A Canadian agency is investigating after a plane filled with 500 puppies landed in Toronto, and 38 of them were found dead. Others were ill—dehydrated, vomiting and weak, the
reports. "It was a nightmare," a witness said. The Ukraine International Airlines plane landed June 13 Pearson...
New York City
Is Banning a
Oct 31, 2019 4:49 AM CDT
New York City Is Banning a 'Cruel' Delicacy
Foie gras ban will take effect in 2022
- New York City lawmakers have passed a bill that bans restaurants and grocery stores from selling foie gras, the fattened liver of a duck or goose. The bill, which is expected to be signed by Mayor Bill de Blasio, would ban the sale of the delicacy starting in 2022. Animal...
This State Could Be
First to Ban Declawing
Jun 5, 2019 2:51 AM CDT
This State Could Be First to Ban Declawing
Bill sails through NY Senate, Assembly
- New York would be the first state in the US to ban the declawing of cats under legislation approved by lawmakers at the request of cat owners, animal welfare advocates, and many veterinarians who call the procedure cruel and needless. The bill, which would subject veterinarians to $1,000 fines...
Watchdog: USDA Carried Out
'Cannibal Cat' Experiments
Mar 20, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
Watchdog: USDA Carried Out 'Cannibal Cat' Experiments
Lawmakers want experiments—including dog remains being fed to cats—to end
- Government scientists have fed dog remains to cats, injected cat remains into mice, and conducted other experiments on animals that one member of Congress says "need to end now." The White Coat Waste Project, a nonprofit watchdog, drew the information from USDA publications for a report it plans...
Making Chickens Happy
Dec 20, 2018 11:21 AM CST
Scientists' Quest: Making Chickens Happy
Study in Canada may result in better living conditions, even if only briefly
- How do you measure a chicken's happiness? Is it in the way it runs for food? How much time it spends preening? To size up what might make chickens happy in their brief lives, researchers at the University of Guelph in Ontario, Canada, are putting 16 breeds through physical...
Dog Slaughterhouse to Be
Bulldozed, Turned Into Park
Nov 23, 2018 9:14 AM CST
Dog Slaughterhouse to Be Bulldozed, Turned Into Park
'It was a stain on the city of Seongnam'
- Tastes are changing in South Korea, where the country's largest dog slaughterhouse has been shut down. With fewer people eating dog meat and more people keeping dogs as pets, demand has been falling and a growing number of people consider the trade unacceptable, the BBC reports. "This is...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.