Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Add Newser to your home screen?
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 290,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ireland Closes All Pubs Before St. Patrick's Day
Videos of crowded pubs sparked outrage
- This year's St. Patrick's Day will be a somber—and sober—one in Ireland. The Irish government announced Sunday that to combat the coronavirus outbreak, all pubs should remain closed until at least March 29, the BBC reports. The government also strongly advised against holding private parties. Mass...
Drug Dealer Learns Big Lesson on Where Not to Hide Bitcoin Codes
$60M now can't be accessed after Clifton Collins stashed codes in fishing rod case that's vanished
- He should've stuck to his praise-winning honey. An Irish former beekeeper-turned-drug dealer is ruing the day he came up with the bright idea to stash the codes to accounts harboring close to $60 million in bitcoin in the aluminum cap of a fishing rod case—which, per the
For More Than a Year, This 'Ghost Ship' Traveled the World
The MV Alta's journey has finally ended, in Ireland
- A "ghost ship" has finally struck land after more than a year traveling the world, from the Americas to Africa and Europe, without a crew. The MV Alta cargo vessel disabled some 1,380 miles southeast of Bermuda while traveling from Greece to Haiti in September 2018. The crew...
Irish Politics in Turmoil After Sinn Fein Surges
Two-party system is over, SF leader says
- Ireland faced political turmoil Sunday as an exit poll from the weekend’s parliamentary election suggested that Sinn Fein, a left-wing party committed to reunification of the island, finished in a virtual dead heat with the two parties that have governed since the country won independence almost a century ago....
Dead Man's Final Prank Leaves Everyone Laughing
Irish man recorded himself calling for help, loved ones played it as his coffin was lowered
- An Irish man with a sense of humor left behind a final prank for his friends and family: He made a recording before his death, and after his coffin was lowered into the ground, it started playing. "Hello?" he can be heard saying. "Let me out. It's...
Why Irish Politicians Are Seeking to Unearth James Joyce
They want him repatriated by 2022, but it won't be easy
- James Joyce could be in for an international move some 70 years after his death. Officials in Ireland hope to dig up the country's "premier writer" in order to repatriate his remains and those of his wife, kept at a Swiss cemetery, before the 100th anniversary of Joyce'...
Cashier Didn't Think Anyone Noticed His Good Deed. They Did
David Vance quietly paid for elderly man's groceries out of his own pocket after the customer's credit card kept getting declined
- David Vance tried to pull off a subtle act of kindness for someone in financial straits last month, but someone noticed, posted about it online, and now the grocery store cashier in Northern Ireland is being hailed around the world. Vance, who works at a Lidl in Belfast, was working...
Pence's Visit to Ireland Causes Fuss on 2 Continents
Democrats want to know why he stayed in Trump's resort; Irish columnists ticked for another reason
- Vice presidential trips abroad don't typically generate controversy, but Mike Pence managed to buck the norm on his visit to Ireland. The big issue is the decision to stay at President Trump's golf resort in Doonbeg, though Pence's hosts were upset for other reasons. One columnist even...
Decade Later, Police Can't Crack Mystery of Beach Visitor
'Peter Bergmann' was found dead in Ireland, but nobody really knows who he was
- A decade ago, a man calling himself Peter Bergmann checked into a hotel in Sligo, Ireland, and turned up dead on a local beach a few days later. Police are now sure the name was a fake, but they don't know much else about the man in his 60s....
'Boy A' and 'Boy B' Guilty of a Murder That Shocked Ireland
They were 13 at time of brutal attack on 14-year-old Ana Kriegel
- They're known only as "Boy A" and "Boy B" to the public, and the 14-year-olds on Tuesday became the youngest murder convicts in Ireland's history. Both were 13 at the time of last year's attack on 14-year-old Ana Krieger, reports the
New York Times
Trump Shocks Irish With Border Wall Remarks
His sons got a 'hero's welcome' in small village
- President Trump paid his first visit to Ireland as president Wednesday—and he did not endear himself to his hosts with a remark about a border wall. Trump, who met Leo Varadkar, Ireland's prime minister, in the VIP lounge at Shannon Airport, told the leader that he thought Brexit...
US Preacher Now Banned From All 28 EU Countries
Anderson is first ever banned from Ireland under powers brought in 20 years ago
- A radical American preacher is now banned from all 28 European Union countries, including Ireland, which has used an exclusion order for the first time under its 20-year-old immigration law. Minister for Justice Charlie Flanagan signed the order Sunday to keep out Steven Anderson, the anti-gay extremist pastor of a...
Family's Airbnb Stay Turns Sour After Connecting to WiFi
Nealie Barker and husband discover hidden camera livestreaming them, kids at Ireland property
- It was not an April Fools' joke Nealie Barker posted on Facebook April 1. "PLEASE SHARE WIDELY," the New Zealand mom wrote about a recent experience she and her family had while on vacation in Ireland. Sky News and the
New Zealand Herald
report that Barker and her...
Archaeologists Are Bitter About Cadbury
They say treasure hunt campaign advocated looting
- Cadbury has pulled an advertising campaign that archaeologists say encouraged children to dig for treasure—illegally. Naming archaeological sites around the UK and Ireland where jewels, gold, and silver have been found, the Treasure Island ads encouraged kids to "grab your metal detector and go hunting for Roman riches"...
800 Years After Death, Crusader Loses His Head
Thieves wreak havoc in crypt of St. Michan's in Dublin
- If you happen to stumble across an 800-year-old mummy head, Irish police are looking for one. The head of a man who fought in the medieval-era Crusades was "severed from his body and taken away" from the crypt of St. Michan's church in Dublin sometime before Monday afternoon,...
May Needs EU Reversal on Brexit. It's Not Budging
British PM to discuss tweaking backstop with EU leaders
- British Prime Minister Theresa May on Tuesday sought to salvage a Brexit deal but headed toward a clash with the European Union by promising to overhaul the divorce deal she spent a year and a half negotiating with the bloc. Trying to break the Brexit deadlock, May urged lawmakers to...
Lawyer Refers to Teen's Lacy Thong in Her Rape Trial
'You have to look at the way she was dressed,' lawyer said of 17-year-old
- A female lawmaker stood in Irish parliament Tuesday and pulled a pair of lacy thong underwear from her sleeve . This "might seem embarrassing," MP Ruth Coppinger began. But "how do you think a rape victim or a woman feels at … her underwear being shown in a...
After Human Remains Found in Septic System, a Huge Effort
Ireland decides to do full forensic excavation at Tuam mother and baby home
- In 2016, test excavations at the site of a former Catholic orphanage confirmed "significant quantities of human remains" were present in the old septic system of the Catholic-run Bon Secours Mother and Baby Home in Tuam, Ireland. The probe for such remains followed a bombshell 2014 report by a...
Irish Utterly Lose Their Minds Over ... Krispy Kreme
Dublin 24-hour drive-thru shuts down after one week due to chaos
- Honking horns, bumper-to-bumper traffic, and tempers converged upon the Irish capital of Dublin over the past seven days—and it was all due to tasty fried dough. Mashable reports that the Sept. 26 grand opening of the city's first 24-hour Krispy Kreme drive-thru quickly resulted in long lines of...
Ireland Says Trump Visit Has Been Canceled
'We are glad he is not coming,' lawmaker says.
- President Trump's first visit to Ireland as president has been called off—according to the Irish, but not the White House. The Irish government said Tuesday that the visit announced in August had been "postponed due to scheduling reasons," the BBC reports. Trump had planned to visit...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Here Is What's Really Behind the Toilet Paper Shortage
Another CNN Host Has Virus
RFK Granddaughter, Her Son Vanish While Canoeing
The Navy Fired Him. His Crew Just Showed How They Feel
Lawsuits Mount Against Popular Hair-Care Line
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Suggest a Story
Get our apps
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.