Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Lobster Buoy, Smart Fisherman
Save Lives of 2 Women
Aug 14, 2020 9:08 AM CDT
Lobster Buoy, Smart Fisherman Save Lives of 2 Women
Paddleboarders were missing for 15 hours off the coast of Ireland
- Two women who went out paddleboarding on Ireland's Galway Bay are alive today thanks to two things: a lobster buoy and a fisherman determined to find them. The cousins, ages 17 and 23, were apparently swept out to sea in high winds Wednesday, reports the
. They spent 15...
Hong Kong Tycoon Wants to
Relocate 50K People to Ireland
Jul 28, 2020 1:41 PM CDT
Hong Kong Tycoon Wants to Relocate 50K People to Ireland
Ivan Ko envisions a new small city for Hongkongers
- Residents of Hong Kong who don't want to live under new Chinese restrictions might be able to relocate en masse to Ireland if a real estate tycoon's vision is realized. Ivan Ko wants to build a small new city dubbed Nextpolis in Ireland to be the home of...
Your Vote, Mr. Ryan?
Mr. Ryan? Zzzzzzz
Jul 17, 2020 8:27 AM CDT
Your Vote, Mr. Ryan? Mr. Ryan? Zzzzzzz
Irish lawmaker has to be woken up in parliament
- An Irish lawmaker's vote in parliament is getting lots of attention, for all the wrong reasons. Eamon Ryan, leader of Ireland's Green Party, was caught snoozing when his turn came to vote, reports Irish Central . (See the video .) The clerk of the Dáil called Ryan's...
Ireland Wins Case, Won't
Have to Take $15B From Apple
Jul 15, 2020 5:21 PM CDT
Ireland Wins Case, Won't Have to Take $15B From Apple
But this legal battle might not be over
- The Irish government has won a European Union court victory, meaning Apple
have to pay it almost $15 billion in back taxes. Europe's second-highest court, the Grand Court in Luxembourg, overturned an earlier ruling that Ireland had given the company illegal tax breaks, the
As Americans Break
the Rules, Ireland
Looks at Changes
Jul 13, 2020 8:00 PM CDT
As Americans Break the Rules, Ireland Looks at Changes
Businesses says US tourists aren't quarantining after landing
- Ireland will consider tougher coronavirus restrictions after anger has risen over US tourists breaking the rules. Visitors are supposed to quarantine for 14 days, but owners of pubs, hotels, and restaurants took to Twitter over the weekend to say they'd sent Americans away, SkyNews reports. "Had to cancel...
DJs Get Interview
of a Lifetime:
May 14, 2020 8:00 AM CDT
DJs Get Interview of a Lifetime: a Locked-Down Matt Damon
'I feel like I'm about to throw up,' Dublin's Nathan O'Reilly told Damon, quarantined in small Irish town
- Talk about an at-work win. Per the BBC , Dublin DJs Nathan O'Reilly and Graham O'Toole nabbed none other than Matt Damon for a Zoom interview after finding out the 49-year-old star was quarantining with his family in the coastal town of Dalkey. For six weeks, O'Reilly had...
Ireland Has a Problematic
Mystery on Its Hands
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 9, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Ireland Has a Problematic Mystery on Its Hands
It still doesn't know who owns the MV Alta
- Who's the captain of the ghost ship that washed up near Ballycotton, Ireland, in February after more than a year of sailing empty in the Atlantic? It's still a giant question mark, and that's problematic for Ireland. As a rep for the country's revenue commissioners tells...
Ireland Reaches Out
to Help Navajo Nation
May 6, 2020 9:07 AM CDT
Ireland Reaches Out to Help Navajo Nation
Donors want to repay Native American generosity in 1847
- At the height of the Great Famine in Ireland, help arrived from an unexpected source: Members of the Choctaw Nation raised $170, the equivalent of more than $5,000 in today's money, for famine relief in 1847, despite being impoverished and dispossessed by the "Trail of Tears" forced...
'Leave Him Be!'
Apr 25, 2020 9:30 AM CDT
Far-Flung Town Adopts Matt Damon: 'Leave Him Be!'
He's a surprise resident in Dalkey, Ireland
- Small town, meet your new celebrity neighbor—and pretend he's just like anyone else. That sums up a
New York Times
report on an Irish town's reaction to Matt Damon, who's been seen walking and talking around Dalkey while holed up there during the coronavirus shutdown. "...
Irish PM Has
to Help Out
With the Virus
Apr 6, 2020 9:55 AM CDT
Irish PM Has Part-Time Job to Help Out With the Virus
Leo Varadkar re-registered as a doctor so he can assist one day a week during pandemic
- Before his career in politics, Irish Prime Minister Leo Varadkar was a medical doctor. Now, the coronavirus outbreak has spurred a return to his roots. The
reports that in March, the 41-year-old taoiseach registered once again to practice medicine, after a seven-year hiatus, when his country's health...
Ireland Closes All Pubs
Before St. Patrick's Day
Mar 16, 2020 12:23 AM CDT
Ireland Closes All Pubs Before St. Patrick's Day
Videos of crowded pubs sparked outrage
- This year's St. Patrick's Day will be a somber—and sober—one in Ireland. The Irish government announced Sunday that to combat the coronavirus outbreak, all pubs should remain closed until at least March 29, the BBC reports. The government also strongly advised against holding private parties. Mass...
Learns Big Lesson
on Where Not to
Hide Bitcoin Codes
Feb 24, 2020 10:15 AM CST
Drug Dealer Learns Big Lesson on Where Not to Hide Bitcoin Codes
$60M now can't be accessed after Clifton Collins stashed codes in fishing rod case that's vanished
- He should've stuck to his praise-winning honey. An Irish former beekeeper-turned-drug dealer is ruing the day he came up with the bright idea to stash the codes to accounts harboring close to $60 million in bitcoin in the aluminum cap of a fishing rod case—which, per the
For More Than a Year, This
'Ghost Ship' Traveled the World
Feb 18, 2020 12:45 PM CST
For More Than a Year, This 'Ghost Ship' Traveled the World
The MV Alta's journey has finally ended, in Ireland
- A "ghost ship" has finally struck land after more than a year traveling the world, from the Americas to Africa and Europe, without a crew. The MV Alta cargo vessel disabled some 1,380 miles southeast of Bermuda while traveling from Greece to Haiti in September 2018. The crew...
Irish Politics in Turmoil
After Sinn Fein Surges
Feb 10, 2020 3:37 AM CST
Irish Politics in Turmoil After Sinn Fein Surges
Two-party system is over, SF leader says
- Ireland faced political turmoil Sunday as an exit poll from the weekend’s parliamentary election suggested that Sinn Fein, a left-wing party committed to reunification of the island, finished in a virtual dead heat with the two parties that have governed since the country won independence almost a century ago....
Dead Man's Final Prank
Leaves Everyone Laughing
in case you missed it
Oct 19, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Dead Man's Final Prank Leaves Everyone Laughing
Irish man recorded himself calling for help, loved ones played it as his coffin was lowered
- An Irish man with a sense of humor left behind a final prank for his friends and family: He made a recording before his death, and after his coffin was lowered into the ground, it started playing. "Hello?" he can be heard saying. "Let me out. It's...
Why Irish Politicians
Are Seeking to
Unearth James Joyce
Oct 16, 2019 1:04 PM CDT
Why Irish Politicians Are Seeking to Unearth James Joyce
They want him repatriated by 2022, but it won't be easy
- James Joyce could be in for an international move some 70 years after his death. Officials in Ireland hope to dig up the country's "premier writer" in order to repatriate his remains and those of his wife, kept at a Swiss cemetery, before the 100th anniversary of Joyce'...
Noticed His Good
Deed. They Did
in case you missed it
Oct 12, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Cashier Didn't Think Anyone Noticed His Good Deed. They Did
David Vance quietly paid for elderly man's groceries out of his own pocket after the customer's credit card kept getting declined
- David Vance tried to pull off a subtle act of kindness for someone in financial straits last month, but someone noticed, posted about it online, and now the grocery store cashier in Northern Ireland is being hailed around the world. Vance, who works at a Lidl in Belfast, was working...
Pence's Visit to Ireland
Causes Fuss on 2 Continents
Sep 6, 2019 12:15 PM CDT
Pence's Visit to Ireland Causes Fuss on 2 Continents
Democrats want to know why he stayed in Trump's resort; Irish columnists ticked for another reason
- Vice presidential trips abroad don't typically generate controversy, but Mike Pence managed to buck the norm on his visit to Ireland. The big issue is the decision to stay at President Trump's golf resort in Doonbeg, though Pence's hosts were upset for other reasons. One columnist even...
Decade Later, Police Can't
Crack Mystery of Beach Visitor
in case you missed it
Jun 29, 2019 1:04 PM CDT
Decade Later, Police Can't Crack Mystery of Beach Visitor
'Peter Bergmann' was found dead in Ireland, but nobody really knows who he was
- A decade ago, a man calling himself Peter Bergmann checked into a hotel in Sligo, Ireland, and turned up dead on a local beach a few days later. Police are now sure the name was a fake, but they don't know much else about the man in his 60s....
'Boy A' and 'Boy B' Guilty of a
Murder That Shocked Ireland
Jun 20, 2019 8:35 AM CDT
'Boy A' and 'Boy B' Guilty of a Murder That Shocked Ireland
They were 13 at time of brutal attack on 14-year-old Ana Kriegel
- They're known only as "Boy A" and "Boy B" to the public, and the 14-year-olds on Tuesday became the youngest murder convicts in Ireland's history. Both were 13 at the time of last year's attack on 14-year-old Ana Krieger, reports the
New York Times
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Biden's Warning on Abortion: 'People Are Gonna Be Shocked'
Two Words in Roberts' Ruling Signal a Big Fight
Allegations of Witness Tampering Gain Traction
Navy Investigation Blames 'Complacency' for Leak That Poisoned Water
Delta Offers to Buy Seats Back on Overbooked Flight for $10K
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.