Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Haiti Assassination Suspect
Arrested During Stopover
Jan 4, 2022 5:27 PM CST
Haiti Assassination Suspect Arrested During Stopover
Mario Palacios is now in US custody
- US authorities have taken custody of a main suspect in the killing of Haitian president Jovenel Moïse, and he is scheduled to appear Tuesday in federal court in Miami. Mario Antonio Palacios was arrested in Jamaica in October and was scheduled to fly to his native Colombia on Monday....
They Escaped Certain Death
Only to Face It Again
Nov 20, 2021 1:00 PM CST
They Escaped Certain Death Only to Face It Again
For some Rohingya refugees, assassins lurk
- As the
New York Times
tells it, they've gone from one hell to the next. The first would be Myanmar, the country Rohingya Muslims fled en masse in 2017 to escape ethnic cleansing. Where most have landed is Bangladesh, which is home to what is the biggest single refugee...
Trial Begins in Killing of
'Africa's Che Guevara'
Oct 11, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Trial Begins in Killing of 'Africa's Che Guevara'
Burkina Faso leader Thomas Sankara was assassinated in 1987
- In Burkina Faso, more than a dozen people went on trial Monday accused of involvement in the assassination of the leftist leader who gave the West African country its name. Thomas Sankara, often called "Africa's Che Guevara," changed the country's name from Upper Volta as part...
Report: CIA Considered
Sep 27, 2021 1:04 PM CDT
Report: CIA Considered Assassinating Assange
Yahoo investigation says former chief Pompeo was 'seeing blood'
- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is currently imprisoned in London, but a Yahoo News investigation suggests things could have gone much worse for him. The story asserts that the CIA under Mike Pompeo and former President Trump considered kidnapping or even killing Assange while he was holed up in the Ecuadorian...
As Assassins Closed In,
Haiti Leader Pleaded for Help
Jul 20, 2021 7:29 AM CDT
As Assassins Closed In, Haiti Leader Pleaded for Help
'Come save my life,' he said in one phone call, according to the 'Miami Herald'
is out with a report detailing desperate phone calls made by Haitian President Jovenal Moise as assassins closed in on his house. His pleas for help came too late, however. Coverage and related details:
At 1:34am on July 7, Moise called the Haitian National Police Commander.
Before Moise Was
a Series of
Jul 15, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Before Moise Was Assassinated, a Series of Meetings
Key suspects in Haiti leader's killing gathered to talk of 'vision for Haiti' once Moise was out: 'NYT'
- As the story out of Haiti following last week's assassination of President Jovenel Moise continues to unfold, more details are emerging on some of the central characters. The
New York Times
reports that "several of the key suspects" in the assault gathered multiple times over the past year...
Report Details 'Wild' Aftermath
of Haiti Assassination
Jul 13, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Report Details 'Wild' Aftermath of Haiti Assassination
CNN has a special report on the hunt for the suspected killers
- As a five-car convoy left the palace of Haiti President Jovenel Moise in the early hours of Wednesday, its inhabitants perhaps thought they'd gotten away with murder. But just down the road, they came up against a blockade, which forced them to flee on foot, leaving behind guns and...
Haiti Suspect Had Long
Sought to Lead Country
Jul 12, 2021 1:55 PM CDT
Haiti Suspect Had Long Sought to Lead Country
Website claimed Christian Emmanuel Sanon was part of team 'chosen to lead'
- The Florida resident accused of orchestrating the assassination of Haiti's President Jovenal Moise intended to install himself as leader, police suggested Sunday. Christian Emmanuel Sanon, 63, "arrived by private plane in June with political objectives" and recruited the alleged assassins through a private security firm, said Leon Charles,...
Haiti Judge: Americans
Admit to Plotting
Jul 9, 2021 4:40 PM CDT
Haiti Judge: Americans Admit to Plotting
Men claim to have been translators for assassins
- A judge in Haiti said Friday that the two Americans arrested after the assassination of President Jovenel Moïse told him they served as translators for the conspirators. Judge Clément Noël said he interviewed James Solages and Joseph Vincent shortly after they were taken into custody, the
Haitian Police: Foreign
'Hit Squad' Killed Our President
Jul 9, 2021 6:52 AM CDT
Haitian Police: Foreign 'Hit Squad' Killed Our President
Colombian ex-soldiers are among 17 in custody
- Police in Haiti say a hit squad of foreign mercenaries—including at least 15 Colombians and two Haitian-Americans—was behind the assassination of the country's president early Wednesday. Authorities say 17 men have been captured, including the two American citizens, three have been shot dead by police, and another...
Haiti Holds at Least
1 American in Assassination
Jul 8, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
Haiti Holds at Least 1 American in Assassination
Crowds surround police station demanding to burn the suspects
- The six people arrested in the assassination of Haitian President Jovenel Moïse include at least one American, a government official said Thursday. James Solages is a US citizen of Haitian descent, the
reports, and an official said he believes another detainee is, as well. Solages' LinkedIn page...
Things Get Worse for Poorest
Nation in Western Hemisphere
Jul 7, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Things Get Worse for Poorest Nation in Western Hemisphere
Still no word on who might be behind assassination of Jovenel Moise
- Haiti is the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, per Reuters , and the situation there worsened drastically on Wednesday with the overnight assassination of President Jovenel Moise in his home. There are no updates yet on the suspected identity of the gunmen, some of whom were reportedly overheard speaking Spanish...
Haiti President Jovenel Moise
Assassinated at Home
Jul 7, 2021 5:45 AM CDT
Haiti President Jovenel Moise Assassinated at Home
First lady is reportedly hospitalized after also being shot in raid during the middle of the night
- Haitian President Jovenel Moise was assassinated in an attack on his private residence, the country’s interim prime minister said in a statement Wednesday, calling it a “hateful, inhumane, and barbaric act." First Lady Martine Moise was hospitalized following the overnight attack, interim Premier Claude Joseph said. The...
New Mexico Man Accused
of Plotting to Kill Biden
May 27, 2021 4:09 AM CDT
New Mexico Man Accused of Plotting to Kill Biden
John Thornton also threatened to kill ex-wife and staff at computer firm, investigators say
- A New Mexico man is accused of sending text messages threatening to overthrow the government and execute President Biden, among numerous others, including his ex-wife. The FBI says Las Cruces resident John Thornton, 39, sent threatening messages to people in Florida and Texas, the
Las Cruces Sun News
After Iranian Scientist Is Killed,
'Serious Indications' Emerge
Nov 27, 2020 10:15 AM CST
After Iranian Scientist Is Killed, 'Serious Indications' Emerge
Benjamin Netanyahu had mentioned Mohsen Fakhrizadeh before, said 'remember that name'
- Iran's foreign minister is alleging the killing of a scientist linked to the country's disbanded military nuclear program has "serious indications" of an Israeli role. Mohammad Javad Zarif made the statement Friday on Twitter, per the AP . "Terrorists murdered an eminent Iranian scientist today," Zarif...
President's Hair, Bloody
Telegram Up for Auction
Aug 29, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
President's Hair, Bloody Telegram Up for Auction
Abraham Lincoln's hair is expected to fetch at least $75K
- This is one macabre auction: A lock of Abraham Lincoln's hair, wrapped in a bloodstained telegram about his 1865 assassination, is up for sale, the AP reports. Boston-based RR Auction said bidding has opened online for the items ahead of a live auction scheduled for Sept. 12 in New...
Russia Hired Assassins
to Kill US Troops: Intel
Jun 27, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Russia Hired Assassins to Kill US Troops: Intel
President Trump was informed back in March
- US troops, killed by paid assassins? Maybe so, if this story holds any water. A Russian military spy unit has secretly paid Taliban-linked militants to kill coalition forces in Afghanistan—something President Trump learned about months ago but chose not to act, US officials tell the
New York Times
Likely Killer Claimed He Tried
to Resuscitate Swedish PM
Jun 10, 2020 7:33 AM CDT
Likely Killer Claimed He Tried to Resuscitate Swedish PM
Prosecutors wrap up investigation, naming deceased suspect who arrived at scene
- Authorities have a suspect in the 1986 assassination of Swedish prime minister Olof Palme—but the unsolved case will now be closed. Those are just some of the developments shared Wednesday as chief prosecutor Krister Petersson wrapped up his investigation of the high-profile case that has been an "open...
Sweden May Soon Be
Closing an 'Open Wound'
Jun 9, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Sweden May Soon Be Closing an 'Open Wound'
Prosecutor to release findings Wednesday related to 1986 assassination of PM Olof Palme
- Swedes are gearing up for what the Local describes as "one of Sweden's most highly anticipated press conferences in the past three decades." Chief prosecutor Krister Petersson, who's been investigating the unsolved 1986 assassination of Swedish Prime Minister Olof Palme since 2017, is set to announce...
Bob Dylan Releases
Surprise New Song
Mar 27, 2020 8:45 AM CDT
Bob Dylan Releases Surprise New Song
The 'dizzying' 'Murder Most Foul' delves into JFK's assassination ... and more
- If you're looking for new music to listen to this weekend, as well as a walk down memory lane, Bob Dylan just hooked you up with an "absolutely mind-blowing" 17-minute song about JFK's assassination and ... much more. "This is an unreleased song we recorded a while...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
Cops: Woman Tries to Buy Baby at Walmart
Elon Musk Has an Offer for McDonald's
Here Are the 10 States People Are Fleeing
Man Fired, Charged After Rant in Smoothie Store
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.