Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
TransCanada Keystone XL pipeline
Stories 1 - 20 |
Company Gives Up
on Keystone XL Pipeline
Jun 9, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
Company Gives Up on Keystone XL Pipeline
Republicans attack Biden while environmental groups rejoice
- More than a decade after the project was launched, and months after President Biden pulled a permit to block it, the company building the Keystone XL pipeline has called the whole thing off. TC Energy Corp. made the announcement Wednesday, saying the decision was made with the government of Alberta,...
Feb 25, 2021 12:28 PM CST
Biden Gets His Energy Chief
Senate confirms Jennifer Granholm, an advocate of cleaner cars
- Former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm won Senate confirmation Thursday to be President Joe Biden’s energy secretary, per the AP . The vote was 64-35. Granholm, who served two terms as governor in a state dominated by the auto industry, will be a key player in Biden's vision for a...
Biden to Unveil Another
Big Reversal of Trump
Jan 26, 2021 11:41 AM CST
Biden to Unveil Another Big Reversal of Trump
President will order a halt to new oil and gas leasing on federal territory
- President Biden is set to announce a wide-ranging moratorium on new oil and gas leasing on US lands, as his administration moves to reverse Trump administration policies on energy and the environment, per the AP . The moratorium, expected to be announced on Wednesday, follows a 60-day suspension of new drilling...
Blitz of Biden Orders
Rolls Back Trump Legacy
Jan 21, 2021 5:52 AM CST
Blitz of Biden Orders Rolls Back Trump Legacy
'There's no time to start like today'
- President Biden moved swiftly to dismantle former President Trump's legacy on his first day in office, signing a series of executive actions that reversed course on immigration, climate change, racial equity, and the handling of the coronavirus pandemic. With the stroke of a pen hours after taking the oath...
Biden's To-Do List for First
Day Just Got a New Addition
Jan 18, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Biden's To-Do List for First Day Just Got a New Addition
Sources say he'll yank the Keystone XL permit via executive action as soon as he takes office
- On Saturday, a memo from incoming White House chief of staff Ron Klain to senior staff laid out dozens of executive orders that President-elect Biden is expected to sign within the first few days of his term. Not listed among them, per Politico : a plan to pull the permit for...
This Is the 3rd Big
Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
Jul 7, 2020 12:34 AM CDT
This Is the 3rd Big Pipeline Surprise in 48 Hours
US Supreme Court deals blow to Keystone oil pipeline project
- The US Supreme Court handed another setback to the Keystone XL oil sands pipeline from Canada on Monday by keeping in place a lower court ruling that blocked a key environmental permit for the project, the AP reports. Canadian company TC Energy needs the permit to continue building the long-disputed...
Bid for More Pipelines
May 28, 2020 6:45 PM CDT
Administration Loses Bid for More Pipelines
Case springs from environmentalists' effort against Keystone XL
- A federal appeals court on Thursday turned down the Trump administration's request to revive a permit program for new oil and gas pipelines, an outcome that industry representatives said could delay more than 70 projects across the US and cost companies up to $2 billion. The case originated with...
Keystone XL Work Begins
Near Border Despite Outbreak
Apr 6, 2020 7:10 PM CDT
Keystone XL Work Begins Near Border Despite Outbreak
Tribes, environmentalists wanted construction to wait till after the pandemic
- A Canadian company said Monday that it's started construction on the long-stalled Keystone XL oil sands pipeline across the US-Canada border, despite calls from tribal leaders and environmentalists to delay the $8 billion project during the coronavirus pandemic. TC Energy said work began over the weekend at the border...
Keystone's 2nd Big Spill in
2 Years: 'What's Going On?'
Nov 1, 2019 7:15 AM CDT
Keystone's 2nd Big Spill in 2 Years: 'What's Going On?'
Nearly 400K gallons of crude oil leaked onto half-acre in North Dakota on Tuesday
- "Two cracks on a fairly new pipeline—geez, what’s going on?" That's a legitimate question to ask about the Keystone XL pipeline, a safety expert tells the
, considering that an apparent rupture in the controversial pipeline Tuesday in North Dakota is the second...
Oil Pipeline Stymied
Despite Court Victory
Jun 8, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
Oil Pipeline Stymied Despite Court Victory
Seems it's too late in the year to start building
- An appeals court has lifted a judge's injunction that blocked construction of the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada to the US, but the developer has said it's too late to begin work this year and environmental groups vowed to keep fighting it, the AP reports. A three-judge...
Judge Blocks Major Pipeline,
Says US 'Discarded' Facts
Nov 9, 2018 6:52 AM CST
Judge Blocks Major Pipeline, Says US 'Discarded' Facts
Orders US to conduct more thorough study of Keystone's environmental impact
- A federal judge in Montana has blocked construction of the $8 billion Keystone XL Pipeline after criticizing the Trump administration for not properly studying its environmental impact. US District Judge Brian Morris' order on Thursday came as Calgary-based TransCanada was preparing to build the first stages of the oil pipeline...
Nebraska OKs Keystone
Pipeline, With a Catch
Nov 20, 2017 11:06 AM CST
Nebraska OKs Keystone Pipeline, With a Catch
Nebraska gives its approval, though it changes the route
- President Trump and backers of the controversial Keystone XL oil pipeline can claim a victory: Nebraska on Monday agreed to let the pipeline be laid in the state, clearing the last remaining major regulatory hurdle, reports Politico . A state panel, however, changed the route proposed by pipeline owner TransCanada, moving...
Keystone Pipeline Spills
210K Gallons of Oil
Nov 16, 2017 3:48 PM CST
Keystone Pipeline Spills 210K Gallons of Oil
Pipeline has been shut down as crews work on the situation
- About 5,000 barrels of oil—that's 210,000 gallons—spilled from the Keystone pipeline in South Dakota Thursday. The company that operates the pipeline, TransCanada, says in a statement obtained by KSFY that the spill "was completely isolated within 15 minutes and emergency response procedures were activated....
Keystone XL Pipeline Gets
US OK, With 'Unusual Twist'
Mar 24, 2017 8:31 AM CDT
Keystone XL Pipeline Gets US OK, With 'Unusual Twist'
Rex Tillerson had nothing to do with State Department signoff on controversial project
- The Keystone XL pipeline is officially a go, at least as far as the feds are concerned. Two years after then-President Obama used his veto power to block construction of the TransCanada conduit, the AP reports that a State Department permit was issued Friday to begin construction into the US....
Keystone XL Doesn't
Have to Use American Steel
Mar 4, 2017 10:11 AM CST
White House: Keystone XL Doesn't Have to Use American Steel
'The steel is already literally sitting there'
- President Trump's "Buy American" order calling for American steel to be used in American pipeline projects doesn't cover the Canadian, Italian, and Indian steel being used in the Keystone XL Pipeline project. White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Friday that Trump's order applies to "new,...
2 Controversial Pipelines
Jan 24, 2017 11:25 AM CST
Trump Greenlights 2 Controversial Pipelines
Keystone and Dakota Access can move forward again
- Two controversial pipelines stopped by the Obama administration just got revived by the Trump administration. The president signed executive actions Tuesday to advance construction on the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, reports the
. The moves do not equate to final approval, and the next steps are a little...
Leaks Thousands of
Gallons of Oil
Into S. Dakota
Apr 8, 2016 12:48 PM CDT
Keystone Pipeline Leaks Thousands of Gallons of Oil Into S. Dakota
TransCanada denies any significant threats to the environment or public health
- The Keystone pipeline sprung a leak Saturday, and TransCanada was slightly off in its original estimate of how much oil spilled into Hutchinson County, South Dakota—by about 9,000% or so. CNN reports the oil company originally estimated that only about 187 gallons had spilled. On Thursday, it updated...
TransCanada Sues US
Over Pipeline, Wants $15B
Jan 7, 2016 12:19 AM CST
TransCanada Sues US Over Pipeline, Wants $15B
Company also wants reversal of 'arbitrary' decision
- See you in court, eh? TransCanada, a Canadian company hit hard by President Obama's rejection of its Keystone XL pipeline project , has filed twin lawsuits seeking $15 billion in damages and a reversal of the US decision, the
New York Times
reports. One lawsuit, filed under the North American...
Nov 6, 2015 11:34 AM CST
Obama Rejects Keystone Oil Pipeline
President says it's not in the interests of the US
- After more than seven years of debate, President Obama announced Friday he's putting the kibosh on the Keystone XL pipeline, confirming earlier reports from the
Wall Street Journal
New York Times
. With VP Joe Biden and Secretary of State John Kerry flanking him at a White House...
'Stunning' Move Made on Keystone Pipeline Request
Nov 2, 2015 7:30 PM CST
'Stunning' Move Made on Keystone Pipeline Request
Canadian energy company writes letter to State Dept.
- The company behind the controversial Keystone XL pipeline from Canada to the US Gulf Coast has asked the US State Department to pause its review of the project. TransCanada said Monday a suspension would be appropriate while it works with Nebraska authorities for approval of its preferred route through the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.