Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast
Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Jan 17, 2023 11:39 AM CST
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Gold miner John Reeves says mammoth bones were dumped in East River in the 1940s
- Ask people what you might find buried in the muck at the bottom of New York City's East River and they'd likely say "mob boss" before thinking of mammoth bones. But several groups of treasure hunters have taken to the waterway in recent weeks after hearing a...
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold
Leads to ... a Long Story
Jul 3, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Hunt for 9 Tons of Lost Gold Leads to ... a Long Story
There are facts, but they may not point to actual lost treasure
- There are some verifiable, undeniable facts in this winding story about an alleged lost hoard of Civil War gold. First there's the document describing it, titled "The Lost Gold Ingot Treasure," in the archives at the Military History Institute in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It tells of a Union...
The Clues Were Ingenious, but
Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
May 28, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Inside the treasure hunt that would claim Hunter Lewis' life
- A California college student who created an adventurous treasure hunt for family and friends as a Christmas gift is presumed to have died while hiding the treasure: Hunter Lewis, 21, was last seen on Dec. 30 paddling a canoe into the Pacific; the waters were frigid, he was clad in...
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying
Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Jan 26, 2022 6:32 AM CST
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Treasure hunter Tommy Thompson has 2 months to find new lawyer in contempt of court case
- The long-running case of a former deep-sea treasure hunter marking his sixth year in jail for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of missing gold coins has hit yet another roadblock. Research scientist Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since Dec. 15, 2015, for that refusal. He's...
Treasure Hunters Sue to
Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Jan 5, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Treasure Hunters Sue to Find Out If FBI Found Gold
Dennis, Kem Parada think they found gold lost in 1863, told FBI of it
- Treasure hunters who believe they located a huge cache of fabled Civil War-era gold in Pennsylvania are now on the prowl for something as elusive as the buried booty itself: government records of the FBI's excavation. Finders Keepers filed a federal lawsuit against the Justice Department over its failure...
Tight-Lipped Treasure Hunter
to Mark His 6th Year in Jail
Dec 10, 2021 8:00 AM CST
Tight-Lipped Treasure Hunter to Mark His 6th Year in Jail
Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since Dec. 15, 2015
- A former deep-sea treasure hunter is preparing to mark his sixth year in jail for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of 500 missing coins made from gold found in an historic shipwreck. Research scientist Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since Dec. 15, 2015, for that refusal....
Jul 1, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
$10K Utah Treasure Hunt Sparks Warning From Authorities
Utah officials warn treasure hunters after search-and-rescue team is called out
- For the second year running, two Utah men have hidden thousands of dollars somewhere in the wilderness and are urging treasure seekers to go out hunting for it. But many of those seekers are not exactly prepared for the hunt, leading officials to issue a warning to those in pursuit...
Prove Feds Sought
Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
Jun 25, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Court Docs Prove Feds Sought Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
FBI agent applied for warrant in 2018 to keep Civil War-era cache out of state's hands
- An FBI agent applied for a federal warrant in 2018 to seize a fabled cache of US government gold he said was "stolen during the Civil War" and hidden in a Pennsylvania cave, per court documents unsealed Thursday. The newly unsealed affidavit confirms previous reporting by the AP that...
Treasure Hunter Hits Pay Dirt
in Attic of Family's Home
Apr 25, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
Treasure Hunter Hits Pay Dirt in Attic of Family's Home
Keith Wille proved decades of rumor right
- A New England treasure hunter has proven decades of rumor right for a family who've long believed a box of cash was stashed in a home's attic. After multiple fruitless attempts of their own, Keith Wille was hired by the family to search the Western Massachusetts home prior...
There's $20K Hidden
Somewhere in Maine
Apr 11, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
There's $20K Hidden Somewhere in Maine
Some playing cards will help you find it
- A pair of Mainers have hidden $20,000 somewhere in the state and they're inviting treasure seekers to come and get it. The creators of the treasure hunt and the company behind the hunt, Dirigo Treasures LLC, are Kurt and Kelly Stokes of Newcastle, the
Lincoln County News
Treasure Hunters Say FBI
Cheating Them Out of Old Gold
Jan 29, 2021 10:14 AM CST
Treasure Hunters Say FBI Cheating Them Out of Old Gold
Lawyer is pushing to unseal records following 2018 dig in Pennsylvania
- A lawyer says he's one step closer to uncovering the truth about a legendary treasure of Civil War gold said to have been lost in the Pennsylvania wilderness, reports Penn Live . The FBI excavated a site in Elk State Forest in 2018, acting on a tip from treasure hunting...
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in
National Park Isn't Ending Well
Jan 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in National Park Isn't Ending Well
Rodrick Dow Craythorn pleads guilty to digging up Yellowstone cemetery for Forrest Fenn prize
- A man accused of digging up a Yellowstone National Park cemetery in his search for a famous buried treasure has admitted to his crimes. The
New York Times
reports that, nearly four months after he was indicted by a federal grand jury, 52-year-old Rodrick Dow Craythorn of Utah entered a...
Treasure Hunter Has Been in
Prison 5 Years for Contempt
Dec 14, 2020 2:34 PM CST
Treasure Hunter Has Been in Prison 5 Years for Contempt
Tommy Thompson still won't say where shipwreck gold is
- A former deep-sea treasure hunter is about to mark his fifth year in prison for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of 500 missing gold coins found in a historic shipwreck. Research scientist Tommy Thompson isn't incarcerated at a a federal prison in Milan, Michigan, for breaking the law. Instead,...
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in
Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Oct 23, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Now Rodrick Dow Craythorn has been indicted after his alleged search for Forrest Fenn booty
- We still don't know who found Forrest Fenn's famous treasure in Wyoming's Rocky Mountains, but it apparently wasn't Rodrick Dow Craythorn. What Craythorn got instead, per NBC News : a federal grand jury indictment for allegedly digging in a Yellowstone National Park cemetery searching for the long-elusive...
Treasure Hunt Ends, but
a New Fight Is Starting
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 13, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Treasure Hunt Ends, but a New Fight Is Starting
Anonymous hunter found it, and some of those who lost feel cheated
- It was a good old-fashioned treasure hunt , but one that took on mythic proportions and resulted in at least five deaths. And now that the "treasure hunt" part is over , a big legal mess is unfolding. Meanwhile, the man who started it all—89-year-old antiques dealer Forrest Fenn of...
Is Finally Found
Jun 7, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Eccentric's Treasure Chest Is Finally Found
Forrest Fenn said it contained over $1M in gold and other goodies
- A bronze chest filled with gold, jewels, and other valuables worth more than $1 million and hidden a decade ago somewhere in the Rocky Mountain wilderness has been found, according to a famed art and antiquities collector who created the treasure hunt . Forrest Fenn, 89, told the
Santa Fe New
They Were Searching
the Sand. The Metal
Detectors Went Crazy
Mar 3, 2020 11:00 AM CST
They Were Searching the Sand. The Metal Detectors Went Crazy
Florida men find 22 silver coins from 1715 shipwreck, could be worth $7K
- They set to work with metal detectors on Florida's appropriately named Treasure Coast and are now the proud owners of 22 silver coins thought to be 300 years old. Jonah Martinez, who's been hunting treasure in South Florida for 24 years, says he and fellow treasure hunter Cole...
How Sunken Gold Inflicted
Its Curse, 150 Years Later
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 25, 2019 6:42 AM CDT
How Sunken Gold Inflicted Its Curse, 150 Years Later
If only Tommy Thompson had never found it
- Tommy Thompson was a brilliant gold-hunter who arguably made a huge mistake: He succeeded. Once dubbed a scientific "rock star," the ocean engineer uncovered a shipful of gold that pretty much wrecked his life and turned him into a wild-haired federal inmate who rarely tells the same story...
Big Find Near
Waterfall: a Man's
Aug 20, 2019 8:50 AM CDT
Treasure Hunter's Big Find Near Waterfall: a Man's Last Moments
YouTuber finds GoPro camera of Richard Ragland, who drowned in Tennessee in 2017
- A recent find in the waters near a Tennessee waterfall won't bring back Richard Ragland, who drowned there two years ago, but it may answer a few questions and bring his family some closure. YouTuber Rich Aloha, who hunts for treasure as a hobby, tells WSB that he was...
on Returning Gold
Nov 21, 2018 2:44 AM CST
Treasure Hunter Changes Mind on Returning Gold
Thompson now says he has no idea how to obtain coins
- An imprisoned treasure hunter has taken back a pledge to turn over 500 missing coins minted from gold found in a shipwreck off the South Carolina coast, the AP reports. Tommy Thompson agreed last week to deliver the coins to a court-appointed receiver by Sunday to settle a lawsuit brought...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Arrest Made in Ambush Murder of Microsoft Exec
After Boy, 6, Shoots Teacher, Superintendent Shown the Door
DA Says Mother Will Be Charged With Killing 2 Kids
Nomination of 12-Year-Old for Worst Actress Causes Backlash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.