Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
'Poet Who Connects' Gets
Nod From Library of Congress
Jul 12, 2022 8:56 AM CDT
'Poet Who Connects' Gets Nod From Library of Congress
Ada Limon, 46, is nation's 24th poet laureate
- The country's next poet laureate, Ada Limon, has long thought of her work as a public art form. "I grew up with poetry being in the community," says Limon, a native of Sonoma, Calif. "It wasn't supposed to just be something read on [the] page;...
Turns Down Job
Feb 26, 2021 2:25 PM CST
White Poet Turns Down Job to Translate Gorman Poem
Dutch writer Marieke Lucas Rijneveld nixes assignment after critics say Black writer should do it
- A writer who was chosen to translate American poet Amanda Gorman's work into Dutch has handed back the assignment following criticism that a white author was selected to translate the words of a Black woman who's the youngest inaugural poet in US history. Marieke Lucas Rijneveld, who uses...
Fans Make Her
Jan 21, 2021 5:50 PM CST
Amanda Gorman's Fans Make Her Books Bestsellers
'I am on the floor,' inaugural poet says
- Amanda Gorman has two books coming out, but not until September. After the poet's performance at President Biden's inauguration Wednesday, they went to the top of a bestseller list anyway. "I am on the floor," Gorman tweeted . "My books are #1 and #2 on Amazon...
Inauguration Poet to
'Touch' on Capitol Attack
Jan 15, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Inauguration Poet to 'Touch' on Capitol Attack
Amanda Gorman was chosen to read by the Bidens
- At age 22, poet Amanda Gorman, chosen to read at the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden, already has a history of writing for official occasions. "I have kind of stumbled upon this genre. It's been something I find a lot of emotional reward in, writing something I can...
Boy, 4, Lands Book Deal
Jul 22, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Boy, 4, Lands Book Deal
Nadim Shamma-Sourgen writes 'purely childlike' poems
- Not many poets try picking their nose on national television. But then, Nadim Shamma-Sourgen doesn't have much media experience: He just landed his first book deal at the age of four, the
reports. "The poems talk about such important feelings, like love and loneliness, and Nadim finds...
The Love Affair Fueled His
Poetry—Until the Bitter End
Jan 3, 2020 5:40 PM CST
The Love Affair Fueled His Poetry—Until the Bitter End
TS Eliot disses muse Emily Hale in note from beyond the grave
- "Footfalls echo in the memory/Down the passage which we did not take/Towards the door we never opened," reads TS Eliot's poem
. The words have found new meaning with the release of Eliot's 1,131 letters to muse Emily Hale, who donated them to Princeton...
Aug 3, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
'Fools!' Spacey Makes Surprise Appearance in Museum
The actor surprises people with reading of Gabriele Tinti's "Boxer at Rest"
- Kevin Spacey returned to the public eye Friday for "a bizarre reading" of a poem at an Italian museum,
reports. The actor, whose career nosedived in 2017 amid sexual-assault allegations, appeared at the National Roman Museum and read a poem about a wounded boxer who vowed never to...
Our Poet Laureate Has
Been Named. It's Historic
Jun 19, 2019 10:10 AM CDT
Our Poet Laureate Has Been Named. It's Historic
Joy Harjo, 68, is first-ever Native American in the role
- The first Oklahoman to ever be bestowed the title of US poet laureate has another distinction to brag about: She'll also be the first Native American to serve in the role when she takes over for Tracy K. Smith in the fall and becomes the 23rd Poet Laureate Consultant...
'Bride Married to Amazement':
Poet Mary Oliver Dies
Jan 18, 2019 1:00 AM CST
'Bride Married to Amazement': Poet Mary Oliver Dies
Beloved Pulitzer-winner was 83
- Mary Oliver, the Pulitzer Prize-winning poet whose rapturous odes to nature and animal life brought her critical acclaim and popular affection, has died. She was 83. Bill Reichblum, Oliver's literary executor, said she died Thursday at her home in Hobe Sound, Florida. The cause of death was lymphoma. "...
Poet Stumped by Standardized
Test Questions on Own Poems
in case you missed it
Jan 14, 2017 10:32 AM CST
Poet Stumped by Standardized Test Questions on Own Poems
Sara Holbrook calls Texas assessment 'big baloney sandwich'
- If anyone can answer questions on a standardized test about the poems "The Real Case" and "Midnight," it should be Sara Holbrook—the poet who wrote them. But as the
reports, Holbrook recently took a stab at a couple of State of Texas Assessments of...
Poet Max Ritvo
Dies of Cancer at 25
Aug 27, 2016 6:11 AM CDT
Poet Max Ritvo Dies of Cancer at 25
He chronicled illness in acclaimed work
- Fiercely talented poet Max Ritvo has died at the age of 25 from the cancer he chronicled in his work and was first diagnosed with when he was 16. Ritvo, who had Ewing's sarcoma, a deadly form of bone cancer, went to Yale during the years he was in...
Teacher Says He Knows
Jack the Ripper's Identity
Nov 6, 2015 5:36 PM CST
Teacher Says He Knows Jack the Ripper's Identity
He claims a renowned, opium-addicted poet was responsible for the slayings
- Did life imitate art in the case of Jack the Ripper? An Australian English teacher, who claims to have solved the 127-year-old mystery, certainly thinks so, the
New York Daily News
reports. Richard Patterson believes Jack the Ripper, who killed five London prostitutes over 10 weeks in 1888, was actually...
Nov 8, 2013 2:00 PM CST
Poet Pablo Neruda Wasn't Poisoned: Tests
But family says Chilean case isn't closed
- The four-decade mystery of whether Chilean Nobel Prize-winning poet Pablo Neruda was poisoned was seemingly cleared up today, when forensic test results showed no chemical agents in his bones. But his family and driver were not satisfied and said they'll request more tests. Neruda died under suspicious circumstances in...
Dead at 74
Aug 30, 2013 7:01 AM CDT
Seamus Heaney, Nobelist Poet, Dead at 74
Called 'most significant Irish poet of his generation'
- Irish poet Seamus Heaney, who won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1995, has died at age 74 following a recent illness. A former teacher who lived in Londonderry, Northern Ireland, Heaney was widely considered the best Irish poet since WB Yeats, the BBC notes; the
Dead at 82
Mar 29, 2012 1:41 AM CDT
Feminist Poet Adrienne Rich Dead at 82
Ground-breaking writer fought for women's rights with words
- As a woman, a lesbian, and a Jew, Adrienne Rich felt triply excluded by society, and she used her long and influential career as a poet to fight for change. Rich, who has died from complications linked to rheumatoid arthritis at the age of 82, was one of America's...
Nobel Prize for Literature Goes to Tomas Transtromer
Oct 6, 2011 6:25 AM CDT
Nobel Prize for Literature Goes to Tomas Transtromer
Swedish poet probes mysteries of the human mind
- Better luck next year, Bob Dylan . Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer was today awarded the 2011 Nobel Prize for literature. The AP calls the 80-year-old a "perennial favorite" to win, and notes that Swedish journalists regularly camp outside his apartment in Stockholm on the big day in anticipation of victory....
Popular on Newser
Fred Savage Accusers: His Eyes Would Go 'Dead'
Driver Acquitted in Deaths of 7 Bikers
A Former President Is Being Deposed Today
Secret Service Officer Assaulted Outside White House
Nebraska Mom, Daughter Charged After Teen's Abortion
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.