Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
He Had Memorable
Kid. Now, Fitting News
May 21, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
He Had Memorable Role in
as a Kid. Now, Fitting News
Ex-child actor Jonathan Searle named police chief in Martha's Vineyard town where 1975 movie was shot
- Life is definitely imitating art on Martha's Vineyard, where a former child star in one of Steven Spielberg's biggest blockbusters ever has just accepted a stars-are-aligned job. The
reports that the town of Oak Bluffs has named as its new police chief Jonathan Searle, a longtime...
Ex-Cop Charged With
Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
May 2, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Charged With Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
DA says Edsaul Mendoza shot TJ Siderio in the back at near-point blank range
: A former Philadelphia police officer who was fired after the fatal shooting of a 12-year-old in March has been charged with murder. Prosecutors say the shot that killed Thomas "TJ" Siderio was fired from near-point blank range while the boy was unarmed and "essentially face down on...
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing'
Report on Minneapolis PD
Apr 27, 2022 12:06 PM CDT
After 2-Year Probe, a 'Scathing' Report on Minneapolis PD
Investigation finds pattern of racial discrimination
- A state investigation launched after George Floyd’s killing in the custody of four Minneapolis police officers has determined that the department engages in a pattern of race discrimination. The state launched its investigation barely a week after Floyd's death on May 25, 2020, and Minnesota's Department of...
Martin Gugino Did
Apr 11, 2022 9:40 AM CDT
Arbitrator: Cops Who Shoved Martin Gugino Did Nothing Wrong
Buffalo BLM protester suffered head injury after being pushed to ground by police in June 2020
- Two police officers in Buffalo, NY, have been cleared by an arbitrator of wrongdoing after they shoved an elderly BLM protester to the ground in June 2020. Martin Gugino, then 75, suffered a fractured skull and brain injury after hitting his head when he fell. In a Friday decision, Jeffrey...
Evidence' in Amir Locke's Death
Apr 6, 2022 11:22 AM CDT
'Insufficient Admissible Evidence' in Amir Locke's Death
Officer who shot and killed 22-year-old won't be charged
- A Minneapolis SWAT team entered an apartment on a no-knock warrant about 6:48am on Feb. 2, and in less than 10 seconds, 22-year-old Amir Locke had been fatally shot . Prosecutors on Wednesday announced Mark Hanneman, the 34-year-old police officer who killed Locke, will not be charged. "After a...
Police: 2 Cops Shot
at Hot Dog Stand
Mar 4, 2022 1:04 PM CST
Police: 2 Cops Shot at Hot Dog Stand
Injuries are not life-threatening in Chicago incident
- Two Chicago police officers were shot and wounded early Friday by a gunman who dropped a handgun while waiting in line at a restaurant with one of the officers, picked it up, and opened fire, police said. The suspected gunman was captured nearby and the officers were taken to a...
Police Helicopter Goes Down
in Sea, Killing Officer
Feb 20, 2022 3:05 PM CST
Police Helicopter Goes Down in Sea, Killing Officer
Boaters hurried to rescue 2 officers
- Authorities on Sunday were investigating the cause of a police helicopter crash off the Southern California coast that left one officer dead and another hospitalized with critical injuries. The Huntington Beach officers were responding to a disturbance in the neighboring city of Newport Beach around 6:30pm Saturday when the...
5 Officers Shot, 4 More
Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
Feb 11, 2022 2:54 PM CST
5 Officers Shot, 4 More Hurt by Ricochets in Ambush
All are expected to survive in Phoenix; gunman is dead, a woman is critically injured
(This file has been updated throughout with new details.)
A man ambushed a police officer who responded to a call at a Phoenix home early Friday, shooting him several times, then rained more gunfire on other officers who tried to rescue a baby that was placed outside the door....
$500K Lawsuit Claims Cops
Arrested Wrong Shane Brown
Jan 26, 2022 4:08 PM CST
$500K Lawsuit Claims Cops Arrested Wrong Shane Brown
Shane Lee Brown says he spent 6 days in jail after being mistaken as a wanted felon
- A young Black man is suing two police departments in Nevada after he says he spent six days in jail—simply for having nearly the same name as a wanted felon, who is white and twice his age. Shane Lee Brown, a 25-year-old with dark hair, says police were actually...
Man Who Killed Rookie
NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jan 25, 2022 12:51 AM CST
Man Who Killed Rookie NYPD Cop Dies of His Injuries
Jason Rivera, 22, killed while responding to domestic incident; another officer critically hurt
The man who shot and killed an NYPD officer Friday has died. The suspect, Lashawn McNeil, was shot during the incident by one of the three NYPD officers who responded to a domestic violence call in Harlem, and McNeil died of his injuries Monday, the AP reports. The third...
Jan 13, 2022 10:10 AM CST
Report: Petito Likely 'Long- Term' Domestic Violence Victim
'Mistakes' were made in Aug. 12 police stop, independent report adds
- An investigation has found that Utah police made "several unintentional mistakes" when they stopped Gabby Petito and her boyfriend before she was killed, per the AP . The independent report released Wednesday examines a police stop in Moab on Aug. 12 after the couple's van was seen speeding and...
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop
Jan 12, 2022 12:27 AM CST
In 5th Trial, Ex-Cop Convicted of Killing Daughter's Black Boyfriend
Shannon Kepler convicted of murder in federal trial
A former Oklahoma police officer has been tried and convicted, again, in the 2014 killing of his daughter's Black boyfriend. Shannon Kepler, who was tried four times in state court, was convicted (this time in his first trial in federal court) of second-degree murder, the AP reports. He...
He Poured Hand
Sanitizer on Himself.
Then a Cop Tased Him
Jan 8, 2022 9:00 AM CST
He Poured Hand Sanitizer on Himself. Then a Cop Tased Him
NY AG investigating incident in Catskill, NY, after Jason Jones burst into flames; he died last month
- Graphic video made public Friday shows a man who doused himself in hand sanitizer bursting into flames when a police officer used a stun gun on him at a New York police station in October. Security footage released by the state attorney general's office shows Jason Jones, 29, rolling...
Prosecutor: Cop Begged for
Her Life Before Being Murdered
Jan 5, 2022 1:30 PM CST
Prosecutor: Cop Begged for Her Life Before Being Murdered
Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic is dead, Officer Tyler Bailey is fighting for his life
- Two Illinois police officers responded to a report of dogs barking in a vehicle in the parking lot of the Comfort Inn in Bradley. It was a call that left Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic begging for her life before being killed with her own gun, say prosecutors, who are asking federal...
2 Suspects in Custody After
Cop Killed in Motel Shooting
Jan 1, 2022 7:30 AM CST
2 Suspects in Custody After Cop Killed in Motel Shooting
Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic, 49, had been responding to call about barking dogs in Ill.; partner critically hurt
- Two suspects in an Illinois motel shooting that left one Bradley police officer dead and another wounded are now in custody. WLS reports that Sgt. Marlene Rittmanic, 49, was shot and killed Wednesday night at a Kankakee County Comfort Inn, while her partner, 27-year-old Tyler Bailey, was left critically wounded....
Cops Guarding a Murder Scene
Took Victims' Pictures Instead
Dec 7, 2021 7:54 AM CST
Cops Guarding a Murder Scene Took Victims' Pictures Instead
London cops Deniz Jaffer, Jamie Lewis get 2 years, 9 months in jail for sharing photos of slain sisters
- In what the
calls "the scandal that rocked Britain's largest force," two London cops who shared photos of two murdered sisters have been sentenced to two years and nine months in prison. Deniz Jaffer, 47, and Jamie Lewis, 33, of the Metropolitan Police had been stationed...
Cop Fatally Shoots Man in
Motorized Scooter From Behind
Dec 1, 2021 11:00 AM CST
Cop Fatally Shoots Man in Motorized Scooter From Behind
Police chief says Officer Ryan Remington will be fired
- The Tucson Police Department has swiftly distanced itself from an officer who shot dead a man in a motorized wheelchair. Police Chief Chris Magnus said on Tuesday he was "deeply disturbed and troubled" by what transpired on Monday night: Officer Ryan Remington responded to a report of a man...
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves
Rape Victim, After a Nod
Nov 23, 2021 8:03 AM CST
'Hero' Hotel Clerk Saves Rape Victim, After a Nod
Cincinnati suspect Onjre Damon George then failed to jump out a window: cops
- A man accused of kidnapping and raping a woman tried to jump out a sixth-floor hotel room window while being questioned by Ohio police—only to bounce back. Police responded to a hotel in the Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash on Sunday after a front desk attendant requested a welfare...
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating'
KKK Note Files Complaint
Nov 12, 2021 7:40 AM CST
Cop Faced With 'Humiliating' KKK Note Files Complaint
Black officer Keith Pool takes action after ex-Ohio police chief's 'offensive' actions in June
The first Black cop in a small Ohio town has filed a discrimination complaint against its police force. The charge with the state's Civil Rights Commission was filed by Keith Pool, who says officials in Sheffield Lake did nothing to keep ex-Chief Anthony Campo's racist behavior in...
Terminally Ill Man's
Ends in Arrest
Nov 10, 2021 8:05 AM CST
Terminally Ill Man's Bucket-List Action Ends in Arrest
Darrell Meekcom says officers treated him harshly after he mooned a speed camera
- A terminally ill UK man who mooned a speed camera van so as to cross an item off his bucket list says he was forced to the ground during his arrest later that day. Darrell Meekcom was already suffering from heart disease, kidney failure, and Parkinson's Disease when he...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
It Took Police 40 Minutes to Move in as Classroom Full of Kids Was Massacred
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
Fans Step In After Singer Bails During Concert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.