Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Bolton: I Planned Coups, and
Trump Wasn't Capable of One
Jul 13, 2022 8:51 AM CDT
Bolton: I Planned Coups, and Trump Wasn't Capable of One
'It takes a lot of work' and 'that's not the way Donald Trump does things'
- Planning a coup d'etat "takes a lot of work," according to John Bolton. He should know "as somebody who has helped plan coups d'etat" outside of the US, the former national security adviser to President Trump told CNN on Tuesday. While it's no secret...
Clash Over WiFi Password
Turns Deadly for Remote Tribe
in case you missed it
Apr 3, 2022 8:50 AM CDT
Clash Over WiFi Password Turns Deadly for Remote Tribe
Venezuelan soldiers reportedly reneged on deal to share network with Yanomami
- A clash between Venezuelan soldiers and members of the Yanomami tribe in the Amazon turned deadly over the most unlikely of reasons: a WiFi password. The dispute left four members of the Indigenous tribe dead and three more injured, reports the
. Three soldiers also were reported injured. The...
Venezuela Frees 2 Americans,
Including Member of 'Citgo 6'
Mar 9, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Venezuela Frees 2 Americans, Including Member of 'Citgo 6'
As Biden administration seeks to improve relations with the country
- The Venezuelan government has freed two jailed Americans, including an oil executive imprisoned alongside colleagues for more than four years, as it seeks to improve relations with the Biden administration amid Russia’s war with Ukraine, the White House announced Tuesday night. Gustavo Cardenas was released following a secret weekend...
Biden May Visit
Mar 7, 2022 5:24 AM CST
Biden May Visit Saudi Arabia
As cost of oil continues to rise
- Since his election in 2020, President Biden hasn't spoken with Saudi Arabia's crown prince and de facto ruler directly, connecting only with his father , King Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud. It's not clear whether that might change any time in the near future, but what is clear,...
Money-Laundering Expert Gets
6 Months for Money Laundering
Nov 17, 2021 12:50 PM CST
Money-Laundering Expert Gets 6 Months for Money Laundering
Professor Bruce Bagley wrote several books on South American corruption
A money-laundering expert arrested after expertly laundering the proceeds of corruption in Venezuela has been sentenced to six months in prison. Prosecutors said retired University of Miami professor Bruce Bagley—who testified before Congress on money laundering—kept a roughly $200,000 commission from the scheme. The 75-year-old could...
US Watching 2 Iranian
Warships in the Atlantic
Jun 11, 2021 9:04 AM CDT
US Watching 2 Iranian Warships in the Atlantic
Vessels' destination is unknown, but speculation abounds that they're delivering arms to Venezuela
- Two warships from Iran have popped up in the Atlantic Ocean this week, though no one is saying where they're going or what their objective is. Per the Hill , the arrival of the Sahand destroyer and its support vessel, the intel-gathering Makran, in Atlantic waters was announced by Iran...
After More Than 3 Years in
Prison, 'Citgo 6' on House Arrest
May 1, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
After More Than 3 Years in Prison, 'Citgo 6' on House Arrest
Venezuela has partially released US oil executives in 'gesture of goodwill' to Biden administration
- In November, six American oil executives were found guilty of corruption and given lengthy prison sentences in Venezuela, following a detention that had already stretched out for three years. Now, a bit of a reprieve for the "Citgo 6," in what the AP reports is a "gesture...
US Oil Execs Lured to
Venezuela Found Guilty
Nov 27, 2020 12:26 AM CST
US Oil Execs Lured to Venezuela Found Guilty
6 Americans sentenced to prison
- Six American oil executives held for three years in Venezuela were found guilty of corruption charges by a judge Thursday and immediately sentenced to prison, defense lawyers said, dashing hopes of a quick release that would send them home to their families in the United States. Some relatives had been...
Scathing Report Details
Atrocities in Venezuela
Sep 16, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Scathing Report Details Atrocities in Venezuela
Experts allege crimes against humanity have been committed there since 2014
- Independent experts commissioned by the UN’s top human-rights body have alleged the government of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro has committed crimes against humanity since 2014. The experts issued a scathing, in-depth report on Wednesday that said the people responsible for crimes that include extrajudicial executions, enforced disappearances, arbitrary detentions,...
Get 20 Years in Prison
Aug 8, 2020 2:00 PM CDT
Ex-Green Berets Get 20 Years in Prison
Luke Denman and Airan Berry allegedly tried to help overthrow a president
- A Venezuelan court has sentenced two former US special forces soldiers to 20 years in prison for their part in a blunder-filled beach attack aimed at overthrowing President Nicolás Maduro, the AP reports. Lawyers for the former Green Berets, Luke Denman and Airan Berry, said they were barred from...
Another World Leader
Has the Virus
Jul 10, 2020 12:31 AM CDT
Another World Leader Has the Virus
Bolivia’s interim president tests positive for COVID-19
- Bolivia’s interim president, Jeanine Áñez, has tested positive for COVID-19. "I feel good, I feel strong, I will continue to work virtually from my isolation," she says in a video posted to her Twitter account, per NPR . Three cabinet ministers in her administration have also...
5 Iranian Oil Tankers
Head for Venezuela
May 17, 2020 1:10 PM CDT
5 Iranian Oil Tankers Head for Venezuela
A Trump official had warned Iran against the move
- Five Iranian tankers likely carrying at least $45.5 million worth of gasoline and similar products are now sailing to Venezuela amid heightened tensions between Tehran and Washington, the AP reports. The tankers' voyage come after Venezuela's socialist leader Nicolás Maduro turned to Iran for help in flying...
I Launched Failed
May 4, 2020 12:52 AM CDT
Ex-Green Beret: I Launched Failed Amphibious Raid
Jordan Goudreau’s comments cap a bizarre Sunday
- A former Green Beret has taken responsibility for what he claimed was a failed attack Sunday aimed at overthrowing Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and that the socialist government said ended with eight dead, the AP reports. Jordan Goudreau’s comments in an interview with an exiled Venezuelan journalist capped...
Venezuela Says It Fought Off
Terrorist Invasion by Boat
May 3, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Venezuela Says It Fought Off Terrorist Invasion by Boat
'Mercenary terrorists' were killed or arrested, officials say
- Venezuelan officials said they foiled an early-morning attempt by a group of armed men to invade the country by boat on Sunday, killing eight attackers and arresting two more. Socialist party chief Diosdado Cabello said on state television that two of the attackers were being interrogated by authorities, the AP...
Dozens Dead, Warden
Injured in Prison Riot
May 2, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Dozens Dead, Warden Injured in Prison Riot
The upheaval at the Llanos Penitentiary Center in Venezuela included a grenade blast
- A riot erupted at a prison in central Venezuela on Friday, killing at least 40 people and injuring 50 more, including a National Guard officer who was wounded by an explosion and the warden, who suffered a knife wound, authorities said. The upheaval at the Llanos Penitentiary Center started with...
Trump: New Naval
Operation Is Afoot
Apr 1, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Trump: New Naval Operation Is Afoot
The White House announces that Navy ships are moving toward Venezuela
- President Trump announced Wednesday that Navy ships are being moved toward Venezuela as his administration beefs up counter-narcotics operations in the Caribbean following a US drug indictment against Nicolás Maduro, the AP reports. The president's announcement was a break from the daily White House press briefing to discuss...
US Just Indicted
a Foreign President
Mar 26, 2020 11:28 AM CDT
US Just Indicted a Foreign President
Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro accused of flooding US with cocaine
- US prosecutors have indicted Venezuela's president and other senior government officials on charges of drug trafficking, claiming a "narco-terrorism conspiracy." The unusual move against Nicolas Maduro, the Venezuelan government, intelligence officials, and members of the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia stems from a federal investigation in Washington,...
'Bizarre' Ask of
Mar 5, 2020 7:30 AM CST
Maduro Makes 'Bizarre' Ask of Venezuela's Women
Venezuelan president wants female citizens to have lots of babies 'for the good of the country'
- The Venezuelan president hasn't said much about his supposed new health-care plan for women—some aren't even sure if there even is an actual plan, notes the
—but the instructions Nicolas Maduro offered on Tuesday to female citizens generated instant backlash. "Give birth!" Maduro...
After White House Meeting,
Oil Execs Put in Caracas Prison
Feb 7, 2020 9:46 AM CST
After White House Meeting, Oil Execs Put in Caracas Prison
Top US envoy to Venezuela calls timing of move 'suspicious'
- The situation has apparently worsened for six executives from Houston-based and Venezuela-owned Citgo who have been detained without trial in Venezuela since November 2017. The
Wall Street Journal
reports Elliott Abrams, the top US envoy to the country, on Thursday said the men had been abruptly taken once more to...
Gets Into Shoving Match
Jan 5, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Venezuelan Leader Gets Into Shoving Match
Juan Guaidó is stopped from entering congress, tries to climb the fence
- Venezuelan opposition leader Juan Guaidó was violently blocked Sunday from presiding over a special session of congress where rivals tried to install a substitute in what was condemned as a hijacking of the country's last democratic institution, the AP reports. As a scuffle broke out with security forces in...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pete Rose on Sex Misconduct Claims: '55 Years Ago, Babe'
Liz Cheney Reveals Her Thoughts on DeSantis
Those Tax Incentives to Buy Electric? There's a Problem
Top US General Vowed to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Florida Men Accused of Stealing $1.3M Worth of Seafood
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.