Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Drug Enforcement Administration
Stories 1 - 20 |
DEA's Most Corrupt
Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Nov 27, 2022 4:40 PM CST
DEA's Most Corrupt Agent: I Didn't Act Alone
Jose Irizarry on how he turned the 'unwinnable' drug war into 'a very fun game'
- José Irizarry accepts that he's known as the most corrupt agent in Drug Enforcement Administration history, admitting he "became another man" in conspiring with Colombian cartels to build a lavish lifestyle of expensive sports cars, Tiffany jewels, and paramours around the world. But as he used his final...
Suspect Got Away After
Huge Fentanyl Seizure
Oct 4, 2022 5:46 PM CDT
Suspect Got Away After Huge Fentanyl Seizure
He promised to lead DEA agents to drug kingpins but removed tracking device
- In July, Drug Enforcement Administration agents in Colorado boasted about seizing 114 pounds of pure fentanyl in the biggest-ever seizure of the deadly synthetic opioid on a US highway—but they were quieter about what happened to the alleged drug mule. The suspect, 27-year-old David Maldonado, agreed to cooperate with...
She Thought She
Was Training to Be
DEA Agent. Cops Say
It Was All a Dupe
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 12, 2022 4:30 PM CST
She Thought She Was Training to Be DEA Agent. Cops Say It Was All a Dupe
Man now facing federal charges for impersonating narcotics agent
- An Oregon woman trained to be a DEA agent for a year ... with a man who, police say, was an impostor. His strange alleged scheme unraveled last week when a sergeant with the Portland Police Bureau saw the man and woman standing near a silver Dodge Charger with red and...
Before DEA Agent
Was Killed on Train
Oct 6, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Drugs Found Before DEA Agent Was Killed on Train
Gunman also was killed in the gunfire, Tucson police say
In advance of the deadly shooting Monday on an Amtrak train in Arizona, DEA agents searched bags associated with one passenger and found 2.39 kilograms of marijuana, 50 packages of marijuana edibles and "other marijuana and cannabis products," per the court documents. CNN reports they allegedly...
Report Details 'Wild' Aftermath
of Haiti Assassination
Jul 13, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Report Details 'Wild' Aftermath of Haiti Assassination
CNN has a special report on the hunt for the suspected killers
- As a five-car convoy left the palace of Haiti President Jovenel Moise in the early hours of Wednesday, its inhabitants perhaps thought they'd gotten away with murder. But just down the road, they came up against a blockade, which forced them to flee on foot, leaving behind guns and...
Ex-Mexico Army Chief
Arrested in Los Angeles
Oct 16, 2020 2:30 AM CDT
Ex-Mexico Army Chief Arrested in Los Angeles
General is accused of drug trafficking, money laundering
- Former Mexican defense secretary Gen. Salvador Cienfuegos, who led the country’s army for six years under ex-President Enrique Peña Nieto, has been arrested on drug trafficking and money laundering charges at Los Angeles International Airport, US and Mexican sources told the AP Thursday. Two people with knowledge of...
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts
in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Feb 22, 2020 11:30 AM CST
DEA Agent Hit With 19 Counts in 'Black Eye' to Agency
Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday
- A once-standout US federal narcotics agent known for spending lavishly on luxury cars and Tiffany jewelry has been arrested on charges of conspiring to launder money with the same Colombian drug cartel he was supposed to be fighting, the AP reports. Jose Irizarry and his wife were arrested Friday at...
Guy Who Spent $540
on Girl Scout Cookies
Arrested by DEA
Feb 27, 2019 6:11 AM CST
Guy Who Spent $540 on Girl Scout Cookies Arrested by DEA
SC man had been under surveillance for months
- So much for
feel-good story: The Drug Enforcement Administration says it has arrested Detric Lee McGowan, the South Carolina man who spent $540 on cookies to get a group of Girl Scouts out of the cold. Investigators say the 46-year-old could afford to be generous: He was allegedly involved...
2 Dead After
Nov 30, 2018 12:07 AM CST
2 Dead After Warehouse Drug Sting
One Houston suspect fled, hid in a quarry
- It was a scene that could have been taken from countless TV dramas: Nine armed gang members arrived for a drug deal at a warehouse Wednesday night, only to discover they had been set up by undercover officers in a sting operation. Police in Houston say two of the suspects...
OD Deaths in US Last Year
Nov 2, 2018 4:47 PM CDT
Record-Breaking Drug OD Deaths in US Last Year
200 people died per day in US in 2017, per the DEA
- Drug overdose deaths hit the highest level ever recorded in the US last year, with an estimated 200 people dying per day, according to a report by the DEA. Most of that was the result of a record number of opioid-related deaths. Preliminary figures show more than 72,000 people...
White House: Death Penalty
Will Be Part of Opioid Response
Mar 19, 2018 5:10 AM CDT
White House: Death Penalty Will Be Part of Opioid Response
But trafficking in fentanyl won't be a capital crime
- The White House has rolled out the "more nuanced" response to the opioid crisis it promised after President Trump talked about executing drug dealers earlier this month. The revised plan White House officials discussed Sunday still involves the death penalty, but officials say they don't plan to make...
DEA Head Said to
Sep 26, 2017 6:37 PM CDT
DEA Head Said to Be Dissatisfied With Trump, Is Resigning
Chuck Rosenberg is leaving Oct. 1
- The acting head of the Drug Enforcement Administration is resigning—apparently over dissatisfaction with President Trump. Law enforcement officials tell the
New York Times
that Chuck Rosenberg has come to believe Trump lacks proper respect for the law. Rosenberg, a former prosecutor, is one of many career law-enforcement officials said...
DEA Takes Billions From
People It Never Charged
Mar 30, 2017 1:05 PM CDT
DEA Takes Billions From People It Never Charged
A new report finds problems with civil asset forfeiture
- Since 2007, the DEA has seized a total of $3.2 billion in cash from people suspected of being involved in the drug trade but never charged with a crime, the
reports. That statistic comes from a Department of Justice watchdog's report released Wednesday. According to the...
of Why the
Feds Spell Pot
Dec 20, 2016 6:25 PM CST
The History of Why the Feds Spell Pot 'Marihuana'
Plant formerly known as cannabis got a new name thanks to Spanish-American War
wades through the weeds to get the linguistic scoop on weed—specifically, why an "archaic" spelling of marijuana is still in use. A
post last week announcing that CBD hemp oil is now considered a Schedule 1 drug offered a new code for "...
Now a Schedule 1
Drug: CBD Hemp Oil
Dec 19, 2016 8:15 AM CST
Now a Schedule 1 Drug: CBD Hemp Oil
New DEA regulation may affect those who use it to treat seizures, other medical issues
- A cannabidiol hemp oil that Leafly says is used by "hundreds of thousands of patients" in the US for a variety of medical purposes, including to help relieve seizures, has been designated a Schedule 1 drug by the DEA, 7NEWS reports. Schedule 1 drugs (which are illegal and include...
Drug Bust Like 'Something
Out of Science Fiction Movie'
Nov 23, 2016 9:07 AM CST
Drug Bust Like 'Something Out of Science Fiction Movie'
'It would be very safe to say people have died from this operation'
- Officials are calling it the largest seizure of pills and one of the largest drug busts in Utah history. DEA agents raided a home in Cottonwood Heights on Tuesday and found an "absolutely catastrophic" drug operation. In addition to almost $1 million in cash and what DEA Agent Brian...
DEA Takes Millions
From US Travelers,
Often Without Charges
Aug 11, 2016 2:05 PM CDT
DEA Takes Millions From US Travelers, Often Without Charges
'You've got to feed the monster'
has discovered that DEA agents routinely seize cash from American travelers without ever arresting, charging, or sometimes even questioning them. Further, this practice has become integral to the DEA's budget. “Basically, you’ve got to feed the monster," a former DEA supervisor says. Over...
Judge: No, Your Cellphone Can't Be Used to Track You
Jul 13, 2016 1:05 PM CDT
Judge: No, Your Cellphone Can't Be Used to Track You
First time a federal judge has thrown out evidence culled thanks to 'stingray' device
- A surveillance device that "tricks" cellphones into revealing their location has been a civil rights concern since it debuted. Now, for the first time, a federal judge agrees that using such a tool to ID a suspect's home without a warrant is an "unreasonable" violation of the...
What It Means if Prince
Got Fentanyl Illegally
Jun 3, 2016 6:17 AM CDT
What It Means if Prince Got Fentanyl Illegally
Authorities say the investigation is just beginning
- We now know that Prince died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl —an opioid up to 50 times more potent than heroin—which he administered himself. But the investigation into his death is really just beginning, reports the AP . Investigators still need to determine if the singer had a...
Is This Mystery
Jan 20, 2016 3:14 PM CST
Is This Mystery Woman the DEA's New El Chapo?
- With El Chapo currently in custody (thanks, Sean Penn!), the DEA has a new most wanted fugitive. Maybe. The
—citing a BBC Mundo story —claims a "mysterious" Colombian woman named Maria Teresa Osorio de Serna now tops the DEA's list of wanted fugitives....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Aides Struggle on White Supremacist Dinner
Irish Court to Elon Musk: No, You Can't Fire This Exec
Late Surge May Make This the 'Emoji of the Year'
Maine Objects to Decision by Whole Foods on Lobster
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.