Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Long COVID Is Really
Jun 19, 2022 10:00 PM CDT
Long COVID Is Really Long—and Enigmatic
Health experts are flummoxed by diagnosing, treating this type of illness
- In her two years of battling COVID-19, Lindsay Polega has been referred to, in order: an immunologist, cardiologist, nephrologist, endocrinologist, neurologist, then the immunologist again. Still, she's dealing with a list of symptoms including chest pain, hypertensive spikes, and hand numbness. Scrolling on her cellphone has caused vertigo, and...
Jun 18, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
CDC Agrees: Under-5 Shots Can Begin
Biden calls final approval of COVID vaccine for young children a relief
: "For parents all over the country, this is a day of relief and celebration," President Biden said in a statement Saturday after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved COVID vaccinations for children as young as 6 months old. Director Rochelle Walensky gave the final OK...
Days After Biden Meeting,
Trudeau Tests Positive
Jun 13, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Days After Biden Meeting, Trudeau Tests Positive
Canadian prime minister spent time with other leaders last week in Los Angeles
- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tweeted Monday that he's tested positive for COVID-19, days after meeting with President Biden in Los Angeles and months after his first bout with the coronavirus. "I'll be following public health guidelines and isolating," the prime minister posted . "I feel...
Pfizer Shots for
Kids Under 5
Jun 13, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
FDA Posts Analysis of Pfizer Shots for Kids Under 5
Says the kid-sized dose appears to be safe and effective
The FDA on Sunday posted its analysis of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine for children under age 5, announcing that the kid-sized doses do appear to be safe and effective. The agency posted a similar analysis of Moderna's vaccine for the youngest age group last week. Next up: Wednesday'...
on COVID Origins
Jun 10, 2022 12:20 PM CDT
WHO Report on COVID Origins Angers China
Team said there should be further investigation of lab leak theory
- A team of scientists backed by the World Health Organization released a preliminary report Thursday on the search for the origins of the coronavirus pandemic—and China was angered by the suggestion that the theory the virus may have leaked from a lab merited further investigation. The team said that...
Tied to $7.2M
COVID Relief Plot
Jun 8, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
Authorities: Japanese Fugitive Tied to $7.2M COVID Relief Plot
Mitsuhiro Taniguchi is now in custody in Indonesia and set to be deported
- For a week or two, Mitsuhiro Taniguchi was holed up in the home of an Indonesian fish trader, trying to convince him of his plan to invest in local fisheries. That won't be happening now, though, as he's been nabbed by authorities over the money he was perhaps...
Scientists Find Much Cuter
Way to Sniff Out COVID
Jun 3, 2022 5:25 PM CDT
Scientists Find Much Cuter Way to Sniff Out COVID
Canines trained to smell for virus correctly IDed 97% of positive cases, 100% of asymptomatic ones
- Suspect you have COVID but don't feel up to dragging yourself out to an urgent care for testing? Sometime in the future, you may be able to simply call your dog over. At least, that's what researchers are hoping after they found that dogs trained to sniff out...
Colombian Drug Boss
Dies in US Prison
Jun 1, 2022 6:40 PM CDT
Colombian Drug Boss Dies in US Prison
Gilberto Rodriguez-Orejuela helped run Cali cartel in Colombia
: Gilberto Rodriguez-Orejuela, who helped lead Colombia's Cali cocaine cartel, has died in an American prison, two years after losing his bid for compassionate release because of his poor health. The cause was lymphoma, the
reports. Rodríguez Orejuela, who was extradited to the US in 2004, built...
to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
May 31, 2022 2:28 PM CDT
Shanghai Prepares to Lift 2-Month Lockdown
'I could die' from happiness, resident says
- Shanghai authorities say they will take major steps Wednesday toward reopening China's largest city after a two-month COVID-19 lockdown that has set back the national economy and largely confined millions of people to their homes. Already, a steady stream of people strolled in the Bund, the city's historic...
Pfizer Offers Update on
Shots for Kids Under 5
May 23, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Pfizer Offers Update on Shots for Kids Under 5
Preliminary data suggest 3 shots offer strong protection for the youngest patients
- Three doses of Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine offer strong protection for children younger than 5, the company announced Monday. Pfizer plans to give the data to US regulators later this week in a step toward letting the littlest kids get the shots. The news comes after months of anxious waiting...
After 6-Week Break,
COVID Briefings Are Back
May 19, 2022 4:57 AM CDT
After 6-Week Break, COVID Briefings Are Back
Cases, hospitalizations are rising sharply
- The coronavirus pandemic is far from over, officials warned at the White House's first COVID-19 briefing after a six-week hiatus. Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House's new COVID-19 coordinator, urged Congress to approve more funding for vaccines and treatments, the
reports. "Without additional funding from Congress,...
Zero Cars Were Sold
in Shanghai Last Month
May 17, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Zero Cars Were Sold in Shanghai Last Month
Lockdown hit city's economy hard
- Shanghai is finally beginning to emerge from a long, harsh lockdown that was initially supposed to last only a few days—but the economic damage will take time to recover from. In what Bloomberg sees as evidence of how strict the lockdown was, not a single car was sold in...
US COVID Death Toll
Officially Hits 1M
May 16, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
US COVID Death Toll Officially Hits 1M
Toll equals Civil War, WWII deaths combined
- The US death toll from COVID-19 hit 1 million on Monday, a once-unimaginable figure that only hints at the multitudes of loved ones and friends staggered by grief and frustration. The confirmed number of dead is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every day for 336 days, the AP reports. It...
North Korea's Sudden
COVID Spike Is Looking Grim
May 16, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
North Korea's Sudden COVID Spike Is Looking Grim
'Fever' has spread across the country 'explosively' since late April
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un criticized officials over slow medicine deliveries and mobilized the military to respond to a surge in suspected COVID-19 infections, as his nation struggled to contain a fever that has reportedly killed dozens and sickened nearly a million others in a span of three days....
Fever Has 'Spread Explosively
Nationwide' in North Korea
May 13, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Fever Has 'Spread Explosively Nationwide' in North Korea
Country confirms a COVID death for the first time
A day after North Korea confirmed for the first time that it had recorded COVID cases within its capital came this: confirmation of its first COVID death—and cases well beyond Pyongyang. Per state media, five others died after experiencing a fever, but those have not been confirmed as...
US Flags Are at Half-Staff
to Mark a 'Tragic Milestone'
May 12, 2022 1:07 PM CDT
US Flags Are at Half-Staff to Mark a 'Tragic Milestone'
US is close to recording a million COVID deaths
- With the US on the cusp of recording a million COVID-19 deaths, President Biden has ordered flags to be flown at half-staff at government buildings from Thursday until sunset Monday. Each death is an "irreplaceable loss," the president said in a statement . "As a Nation, we must...
May 10, 2022 7:54 PM CDT
Bill Gates Has COVID
Microsoft co-founder is experiencing mild symptoms
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates said Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms, the AP reports. Via Twitter, the billionaire philanthropist said he will isolate until he is again healthy. “I’m fortunate to be vaccinated and boosted and have access to testing and great...
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies
With a Pandemic Message
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies With a Pandemic Message
'The body was already so fragile'
- Months after the government sent out $1,200 stimulus checks early in the pandemic, conceptual artist Jill Magid distributed $1,200 in a unique way—she inscribed 120,000 pennies with a message and gave rolls of coins to hundreds of New York City bodegas. The message inscribed on the...
Harris Tests Negative,
Will Mask Up at White House
May 2, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Harris Tests Negative, Will Mask Up at White House
Vice president didn't develop any COVID-19 symptoms, aides say
: Vice President Kamala Harris will return to work in the White House on Tuesday, an aide said, after testing negative for the coronavirus. Harris had been working at home, in isolation at her residence, after positive test results last Tuesday. For her first five days back at the White...
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
May 2, 2022 6:02 PM CDT
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
Jimmy Kimmel says he's tested positive and picks a guest host
- No sooner does one late-night TV host return from a bout with COVID-19 than another has to take his leave. Jimmy Kimmel announced Monday that he's got the coronavirus, Deadline reports. "Our daughter brought us covid (even though we specifically asked her not to)," he tweeted , adding...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
After Guilty Verdict, Defendant Downs Drink in Court and Dies
National Archives Fact-Checks Trump on Obama Documents
Activists Fill Golf Holes With Cement
NYT : Trump Lawyer's June Declaration a Factor in Search
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.