Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Vladimir Putin Will Seek Another 6 Years in Power
Stories 1 - 20 |
Boris Johnson at
'I Should Have
Dec 6, 2023 8:35 AM CST
Boris Johnson at COVID Inquiry: 'I Should Have Twigged'
Former UK prime minister says his government 'got some things wrong' but did its best
- Former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson defended his handling of COVID-19 on Wednesday at a public inquiry into the pandemic, saying his government "got some things wrong" but did its best. Johnson began two days of questioning under oath by lawyers for the judge-led inquiry about his initial reluctance...
US Life Expectancy
Jumps, but There's
Another 'Bleak' Stat
Nov 29, 2023 9:55 AM CST
US Life Expectancy Jumps, but There's Another 'Bleak' Stat
Life expectancy is now 77.5 years, but that boost hasn't recouped pandemic losses
- Fresh stats out from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention offer some good news and some bad news in terms of our collective longevity. "The good news is that life expectancy increased for the first time in two years," the CDC's Elizabeth Arias, a co-author on...
You Can Now Order
4 More Free COVID Tests
Nov 21, 2023 2:30 AM CST
You Can Now Order 4 More Free COVID Tests
Government is sending out another round to anyone who requests it
- Americans can order more free COVID-19 tests online for home delivery, the AP reports. The US government is offering to send another round of four at-home virus tests ahead of the typical surge in cases during the winter holiday season. Anyone who did not order a batch of four COVID-19...
Experts: Numbers on Updated
COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Oct 27, 2023 12:26 PM CDT
Experts: Numbers on Updated COVID Shots Are 'Abysmal'
Per CDC, only 7% of adults, 2% of children have received most recent coronavirus vaccine
- A month after federal officials recommended new versions of COVID-19 vaccines, 7% of US adults and 2% of children have gotten a shot. One expert called the rates "abysmal," per the AP . The numbers, presented Thursday at a meeting held by the CDC, come from a national survey...
Inmates Win $2K Each After
Jail's Ivermectin 'Cocktail'
Oct 10, 2023 7:49 AM CDT
Inmates Win $2K Each After Jail's Ivermectin 'Cocktail'
Arkansas prisoners received antiparasitic drug, which wasn't FDA-approved for COVID, in 2021
- Five inmates at an Arkansas jail received a small settlement last month after being given ivermectin to treat their bouts with COVID. The
reports that the detainees involved in a lawsuit against Fayetteville's Washington County Detention Center were each awarded $2,000, in what ACLU Arkansas calls...
or Take Pay Cut
Oct 9, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Penn Gave Nobel-Winner Ultimatum: Leave, or Take Pay Cut
Katalin Kariko didn't leave, keeping up her dogged research that led to COVID vaccines
- Hungarian researcher Katalin Kariko looks pretty good on paper these days: She co-pioneered mRNA research at the University of Pennsylvania that led to COVID vaccines that helped save millions of lives worldwide during the pandemic; as of last week she has a Nobel for her trouble ; and, just as icing...
Neanderthal Genes Suspected
in Severe COVID Cases
Sep 22, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Neanderthal Genes Suspected in Severe COVID Cases
Study looks at a hard-hit city in Italy
- Individuals who suffer a severe COVID-19 infection may perhaps blame genes inherited from our cousins the Neanderthals. A new study focused on the northern Italian city of Bergamo, an early epicenter found to have one of the world's highest COVID-19 death rates, links a set of DNA variants, or...
Are Coming Back
Sep 21, 2023 12:22 AM CDT
Free At-Home COVID Tests Are Coming Back
Government will once again offer 4 per household
- With COVID hospitalizations back on the rise and experts warning about a possible winter surge, the federal government is once again offering free at-home tests that people can order starting next week. Four free testing kits will be mailed per household, Politico reports. The government had previously distributed COVID tests...
Biden Wears, Then Removes
Mask at White House Ceremony
Sep 5, 2023 6:41 PM CDT
Biden Wears, Then Removes Mask at White House Ceremony
President tested negative for COVID Tuesday
- President Biden turned up in a mask for the first time in months on Tuesday, a day after his wife tested positive for COVID-19. But the president quickly ditched it during a ceremony honoring an 81-year-old Vietnam veteran, and the two unmasked octogenarians shared a hearty handshake before they parted....
Think We're Done
With COVID? It's
Not Done With Us
Aug 29, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Think We're Done With COVID? It's Not Done With Us
Illness is more manageable now, but late-summer wave shows our 'new normal' will include the virus
- If you're seeing a sudden uptick in people around you contracting COVID, more than three years after the start of the pandemic, and more than three months after the pandemic public health emergency was declared over , you're not imagining it. Per the
New York Times
, there's been...
School Barely Begins, Gets
Canceled Due to Mass Illness
in case you missed it
Aug 27, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
School Barely Begins, Gets Canceled Due to Mass Illness
Kentucky district says nearly a fifth of the student body got sick
- The first day of school for Kentucky's Lee County School District was August 9, but by Friday, attendance had already dropped to 82%. By Monday, it was 81%, and 14 teachers had called out sick—so classes were canceled Tuesday and Wednesday, with remote learning planned for Thursday and...
Aug 23, 2023 2:29 AM CDT
Hollywood Studio Brings Back Mask Mandate
Others could follow, 'Deadline' speculates
- A mask mandate has been reinstated at a major Hollywood studio, at least for some employees. After multiple employees at Lionsgate's Santa Monica flagship office tested positive for COVID, the studio said workers on two of the five floors of the building (which amounts to almost half of the...
for COVID Surge
Aug 20, 2023 5:51 AM CDT
Germans Blame Barbenheimer for COVID Surge
Mass gatherings may have played a role in rise in case numbers
- Germany is experiencing a summer surge in COVID cases, and experts say something
calls the "Barbenheimer effect" is partly to blame. Epidemiologists say mass gatherings, including trips to the cinema to see blockbusters
often as a double bill, have played a role in what appears...
Human COVID Pills Could
Help Save Cyprus' Cats
Aug 10, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Human COVID Pills Could Help Save Cyprus' Cats
Thousands of felines have died since the start of the year
- Cyprus will make 80,000 anti-COVID pills that were intended for people available to veterinarians to treat the island's cats. The
reports a highly virulent strain of feline coronavirus—which can't be transmitted to humans—was detected in January in the island's capital of Nicosia. FCov-2023...
May Get a Lot Easier
Jul 22, 2023 4:30 PM CDT
Detecting COVID May Get a Lot Easier
Researchers develop a portable device that can detect it in a room's air in a few minutes
- Researchers have developed a portable gizmo the size of a microwave that can determine if COVID is present in the air of a room in five minutes, reports Science News . The new tool described in Nature is akin to an air-quality monitor and can detect the airborne virus in real...
to Deer, They
Got Us Back
Jul 12, 2023 1:44 PM CDT
After Humans Spread COVID to Deer, They Got Us Back
Researchers identify cases of deer-to-human transmission
- Humans spread COVID-19 to American deer more than 100 times, according to a new analysis, which shows the "deer-adapted" virus jumped back to humans on a few occasions. The study, confirming early alpha and gamma variants were circulating in deer after becoming rare in people, raises concerns that the...
Long COVID Patients
May Fare Worse Than
Some With Cancer
Jun 8, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Long COVID Patients May Fare Worse Than Some With Cancer
Fatigue is No. 1 symptom among this group, which sees 'shockingly' low quality-of-life scores
- Medical experts and researchers are still wrangling with the intricacies of long COVID , the label given to health issues that persist or emerge after one's initial bout with the coronavirus is believed to have "ended." Now, a study out of the UK sheds more light on how...
181 Caught COVID
at CDC Conference
May 31, 2023 10:55 AM CDT
181 Caught COVID at CDC Conference
Gathering of 'disease detectives' gets unwanted surprise
- A group of CDC specialists described as "disease detectives" by the
have gotten an unexpected case study to examine—their own. Of the 1,800 people who attended an agency conference in Atlanta last month, at least 181 contracted COVID, reports Ars Technica , citing an agency news...
Report: China Frees
After 3 Years
May 3, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Report: China Frees COVID Whistleblower After 3 Years
Sources say Fang Bin is back home in Wuhan in good health
- A whistleblower who disappeared three years ago after publicizing videos of overcrowded hospitals and bodies during the early days of the COVID-19 outbreak in China has been released from jail and returned to his Wuhan home, sources tell the BBC . The report has not been independently verified. Fang Bin and...
Emergency Now Over
Apr 11, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
National COVID Emergency Now Over
Biden signed congressional resolution to bring it to a close
- The US national emergency to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic ended Monday as President Joe Biden signed a bipartisan congressional resolution to bring it to a close after three years—weeks before it was set to expire alongside a separate public health emergency, the AP reports. The national emergency allowed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.