Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After 6-Week Break,
COVID Briefings Are Back
May 19, 2022 4:57 AM CDT
After 6-Week Break, COVID Briefings Are Back
Cases, hospitalizations are rising sharply
- The coronavirus pandemic is far from over, officials warned at the White House's first COVID-19 briefing after a six-week hiatus. Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House's new COVID-19 coordinator, urged Congress to approve more funding for vaccines and treatments, the
reports. "Without additional funding from Congress,...
Zero Cars Were Sold
in Shanghai Last Month
May 17, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Zero Cars Were Sold in Shanghai Last Month
Lockdown hit city's economy hard
- Shanghai is finally beginning to emerge from a long, harsh lockdown that was initially supposed to last only a few days—but the economic damage will take time to recover from. In what Bloomberg sees as evidence of how strict the lockdown was, not a single car was sold in...
US COVID Death Toll
Officially Hits 1M
May 16, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
US COVID Death Toll Officially Hits 1M
Toll equals Civil War, WWII deaths combined
- The US death toll from COVID-19 hit 1 million on Monday, a once-unimaginable figure that only hints at the multitudes of loved ones and friends staggered by grief and frustration. The confirmed number of dead is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every day for 336 days, the AP reports. It...
North Korea's Sudden
COVID Spike Is Looking Grim
May 16, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
North Korea's Sudden COVID Spike Is Looking Grim
'Fever' has spread across the country 'explosively' since late April
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un criticized officials over slow medicine deliveries and mobilized the military to respond to a surge in suspected COVID-19 infections, as his nation struggled to contain a fever that has reportedly killed dozens and sickened nearly a million others in a span of three days....
Fever Has 'Spread Explosively
Nationwide' in North Korea
May 13, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Fever Has 'Spread Explosively Nationwide' in North Korea
Country confirms a COVID death for the first time
A day after North Korea confirmed for the first time that it had recorded COVID cases within its capital came this: confirmation of its first COVID death—and cases well beyond Pyongyang. Per state media, five others died after experiencing a fever, but those have not been confirmed as...
US Flags Are at Half-Staff
to Mark a 'Tragic Milestone'
May 12, 2022 1:07 PM CDT
US Flags Are at Half-Staff to Mark a 'Tragic Milestone'
US is close to recording a million COVID deaths
- With the US on the cusp of recording a million COVID-19 deaths, President Biden has ordered flags to be flown at half-staff at government buildings from Thursday until sunset Monday. Each death is an "irreplaceable loss," the president said in a statement . "As a Nation, we must...
May 10, 2022 7:54 PM CDT
Bill Gates Has COVID
Microsoft co-founder is experiencing mild symptoms
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates said Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms, the AP reports. Via Twitter, the billionaire philanthropist said he will isolate until he is again healthy. “I’m fortunate to be vaccinated and boosted and have access to testing and great...
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies
With a Pandemic Message
May 9, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
Artist Inscribed 120K Pennies With a Pandemic Message
'The body was already so fragile'
- Months after the government sent out $1,200 stimulus checks early in the pandemic, conceptual artist Jill Magid distributed $1,200 in a unique way—she inscribed 120,000 pennies with a message and gave rolls of coins to hundreds of New York City bodegas. The message inscribed on the...
Harris Tests Negative,
Will Mask Up at White House
May 2, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Harris Tests Negative, Will Mask Up at White House
Vice president didn't develop any COVID-19 symptoms, aides say
: Vice President Kamala Harris will return to work in the White House on Tuesday, an aide said, after testing negative for the coronavirus. Harris had been working at home, in isolation at her residence, after positive test results last Tuesday. For her first five days back at the White...
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
May 2, 2022 6:02 PM CDT
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
Jimmy Kimmel says he's tested positive and picks a guest host
- No sooner does one late-night TV host return from a bout with COVID-19 than another has to take his leave. Jimmy Kimmel announced Monday that he's got the coronavirus, Deadline reports. "Our daughter brought us covid (even though we specifically asked her not to)," he tweeted , adding...
Big Move From Moderna on
Shots for Youngest Kids
Apr 28, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Big Move From Moderna on Shots for Youngest Kids
Pharma company submits data to FDA, asks regulators to OK COVID shots for under-6 set
- Moderna on Thursday asked US regulators to authorize low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children younger than 6, a long-awaited move toward potentially opening shots for millions of tots by summer. Frustrated families are waiting impatiently for a chance to protect the nation's littlest kids as all around...
Fauci Pulls Out of WH
Apr 27, 2022 2:32 PM CDT
Fauci Pulls Out of WH Correspondents' Dinner
He says it's 'because of my individual assessment of my personal risk'
- Weeks after a glitzy Washington, DC, dinner turned into a superspreader event , Dr. Anthony Fauci has decided he doesn't want to take his chances at another one. President Biden's top COVID adviser will not be at the White House Correspondents' Association dinner Saturday when the event returns for...
CDC: Majority of American
Adults Have Had COVID
Apr 27, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
CDC: Majority of American Adults Have Had COVID
Number is even higher for kids: 75% of children 11 and younger have antibodies for virus
- Nearly 60% of Americans show infection-related antibodies—meaning not antibodies produced by a vaccine—in their blood, per a survey by the CDC released Tuesday. That reflects the time period from December to February, reports the
New York Times
. But for children ages 11 and younger, that figure is even...
Birx: Yes, I Should Have
Rebutted the Disinfectant Idea
Apr 26, 2022 11:13 AM CDT
Birx: Yes, I Should Have Rebutted the Disinfectant Idea
'I was paralyzed in that moment,' she recalls of Trump press conference
- It was one of the more memorable moments from then-President Trump's pandemic briefings. In April 2020, he talked about the idea of people injecting disinfectant to fight the coronavirus. The following day, Trump backtracked and said he wasn't serious . Now, one of his top COVID advisers from the...
Lasted 505 Days
Apr 22, 2022 4:17 AM CDT
Patient's 'Persistent' COVID Infection Lasted 505 Days
'It certainly seems to be the longest reported infection,' researcher says
- A British patient with a severely weakened immune system had COVID-19 for almost a year and a half, scientists reported, underscoring the importance of protecting vulnerable people from the coronavirus. There’s no way to know for sure whether it was the longest-lasting COVID-19 infection because not everyone gets tested,...
on Mask Mandate
Apr 21, 2022 10:23 PM CDT
Philadelphia Does Abrupt About-Face on Mask Mandate
Drops it just days after it went into effect
Philadelphia is ending its indoor mask mandate, city health officials said Thursday night, abruptly reversing course just days after city residents had to start wearing masks again amid a sharp increase in infections. The Board of Health voted Thursday to rescind the mandate, according to the Philadelphia health department,...
31-Year-Old Woman Sets
Record for COVID Reinfection
Apr 21, 2022 12:51 PM CDT
31-Year-Old Woman Sets Record for COVID Reinfection
Health-care worker in Spain picked up 2 strains in 20 days
- A Spanish health-care worker can now lay claim to a rather unwelcome record as the person fastest to be reinfected with COVID-19. The 31-year-old woman contracted the virus twice within 20 days, according to researchers, who will present their findings this weekend at the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology &...
COVID Death Count
Apr 21, 2022 3:47 AM CDT
Shanghai's Low COVID Death Count Raises Questions
In most cases, deaths are ascribed to underlying diseases, not COVID
- Lu Muying died on April 1 in a government quarantine facility in Shanghai, with her family on the phone as doctors tried to resuscitate her. She had tested positive for COVID-19 in late March and was moved there in line with government policy that all COVID cases be centrally isolated....
4 People in Michigan May
Have Caught COVID From Mink
Apr 19, 2022 12:04 PM CDT
4 People in Michigan May Have Caught COVID From Mink
New report suggests CDC was slow to alert public in 2020
- A new report by
about an outbreak of COVID on a mink farm in Michigan in 2020 does not paint the CDC in a positive light.
The report says four people appear to have gotten infected—two who worked at the farm in Eaton County, and
'Jerry Springer of Rap'
Dies After Bout With COVID
Apr 18, 2022 12:30 PM CDT
'Jerry Springer of Rap' Dies After Bout With COVID
DJ Kay Slay was a huge name in the New York City hip-hop scene for decades
- DJ Kay Slay, a big name in the New York City hip-hop scene for decades, died on Easter Sunday after a long bout with COVID-19. Longtime friend Wack 100 said in January that Kay Slay, whose real name was Keith Grayson, had been put on a ventilator, Pitchfork reports. Last...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dubya Makes 'Freudian Slip of the Century'
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Terrified Buffalo Store Worker Called 911. She Says Dispatcher Hung Up
'Payton, You're a Coward!'
Man Marks 50 Years of Eating Big Macs Daily
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.