Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Critics Slam 'Infuriating'
DOJ Ruling in Nassar Case
May 27, 2022 8:18 AM CDT
Critics Slam 'Infuriating' DOJ Ruling in Nassar Case
Department won't charge FBI agents accused of not properly investigating sex abuse allegations
- Two ex-FBI agents tangled up in the Larry Nassar case won't see charges brought against them by the Justice Department. The DOJ said as much on Thursday, noting in a release that, "after multiple reviews and analyses of evidence," it won't be pursuing a criminal case...
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me
Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Sep 15, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Larry Nassar victims speak to Senate Judiciary Committee about botched investigation
- Simone Biles says those involved in the botched FBI investigation of her abuser, former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, need to be "federally prosecuted to the fullest extent." Her Wednesday statement in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee came a day after the
reported that the...
in Major Con
Jun 1, 2021 11:35 AM CDT
Retired FBI Agent Accused in Major Con
Authorities say William Stone bilked woman out of $800K
- A month after retiring from the Dallas field office, an FBI agent allegedly began a yearslong fraud scheme that earned him more than $800,000—and potentially up to 178 years in federal prison. William Roy Stone Jr., 62, is charged with wire fraud, impersonating a federal officer, and other...
Slain FBI Agents Had Spent
Careers Fighting for Kids
Feb 3, 2021 7:42 AM CST
Slain FBI Agents Had Spent Careers Fighting for Kids
Special Agents Laura Schwartzenberger, Daniel Alfin were killed in Sunrise, Fla.
- It was "an awful day in FBI history" on Tuesday, per a former FBI official, after a shooter killed two FBI agents and injured three others while a search warrant on violent crimes against children was being served in a suburb of Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Now, the two who...
5 FBI Agents Shot,
2 Fatally, in Florida
Feb 2, 2021 9:55 AM CST
5 FBI Agents Shot, 2 Fatally, in Florida
They were investigating a child pornography case near Fort Lauderdale
- Two FBI agents were shot to death and three agents were wounded while serving a search warrant in a child pornography case in Florida on Tuesday, reports the AP . Police described an incident in the Fort Lauderdale suburb of Sunrise that began shortly after 6am, noting a suspect was barricaded...
He Vanished 13 Years Ago.
Now, the US Places Blame
Dec 14, 2020 11:12 AM CST
He Vanished 13 Years Ago. Now, the US Places Blame
Finger officially pointed at Iran for abduction, death of retired FBI agent Robert Levinson
- The Trump administration for the first time on Monday formally blamed Iran for the presumed death of retired FBI agent Robert Levinson, publicly identifying two Iranian intelligence officers believed responsible for his abduction. Levinson disappeared in Iran under mysterious circumstances more than a decade ago, and though US diplomats and...
Oct 13, 2020 12:05 PM CDT
Another Governor Was Possible Kidnapping Target
FBI agent says Virginia's Ralph Northam was discussed by paramilitary groups
- Members of anti-government paramilitary groups discussed kidnapping Virginia’s governor during a June meeting in Ohio, an FBI agent testified Tuesday during a court hearing in Michigan. Special Agent Richard Trask was part of the investigation that led to six men being arrested and charged last week with plotting to...
Sep 5, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
Ex-FBI Agent: White House Behavior Is 'Suspicious'
Peter Strzok talks to the press before his book comes out
- Peter Strzok spent his FBI career hunting Russian and Chinese spies, but after news broke of derogatory text messages he had sent about President Trump, he came to feel like he was the one being hunted, the AP reports. There were menacing phone calls and messages from strangers, and anxious...
At FBI Agent's
Aug 12, 2019 10:20 AM CDT
At FBI Agent's Retirement Party, a Wonderful Surprise Guest
Troy Sowers rescued abducted baby in 1997. Stewart Rembert, now in military, was that baby
- Troy Sowers was a new FBI agent in 1997, with just a few months under his belt, when he had a huge get: He found a newborn who'd been abducted from a Washington state hospital, left in a box near a restaurant dumpster. It was a happy ending for...
FBI Agents Say Shutdown
Is Doing Serious Damage
Jan 23, 2019 4:53 AM CST
FBI Agents Say Shutdown Is Doing Serious Damage
Even paid informants aren't getting paid
- The ongoing government shutdown is damaging national security and "our enemies know they can run freely," FBI agents say in a report from a group that represents more than 14,000 current and former agents. In the FBI Agents Association report, the agents, speaking anonymously, describe how the...
Guy Whose Property Was Being
Seized Left Crazy Booby Traps
Oct 2, 2018 3:30 AM CDT
Guy Whose Property Was Being Seized Left Crazy Booby Traps
An FBI agent was shot in the leg by the wheelchair
- An Oregon man resisting the sale of his home left booby traps on the property—including one apparently inspired by
Raiders of the Lost Ark
. Gregory Lee Rodvelt rigged up a hot tub to roll down a hill when a tripwire was triggered, much like the scene where Indiana Jones...
As FBI Agent Testifies,
'Absolute Chaos' Ensues
Jul 12, 2018 1:48 PM CDT
As FBI Agent Testifies, 'Absolute Chaos' Ensues
Peter Strzok gets grilled by Republicans on Capitol Hill, and fires back
- The FBI agent who got caught up in a texting scandal over his views about President Trump testified on Capitol Hill on Thursday, and it was volatile from the very start. "Heated and sometimes chaotic" is how the
describes it, and the AP had the same vibe...
Jun 13, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
FBI Agent Charged Over Backflip Shooting
More charges possible beyond second-degree assault
- Chase Bishop probably isn't in the mood for backflips anymore after his infamous one at a Denver bar earlier this month. The FBI agent who accidentally shot a man in the leg after his gun fell from its holster while dancing turned himself in to Denver police Tuesday and...
FBI Agent Learns Hard Way to
Put Gun Down Before a Backflip
Jun 3, 2018 9:07 AM CDT
FBI Agent Learns Hard Way to Put Gun Down Before a Backflip
Off-duty agent was dancing when his gun accidentally discharged, hitting guy at a club
- If you really want to get your freak on on the dance floor, it might be prudent to put your piece down. As the
reports, that is the lesson for an unnamed FBI agent who got a little too jiggy with it Saturday—and of course there's...
Professor Named as FBI's
Trump Campaign Informant
May 22, 2018 6:48 AM CDT
Professor Named as FBI's Trump Campaign Informant
Justice Department will investigate 'any irregularities' surrounding Stefan Halper
- The FBI informant President Trump accuses of "infiltrating" his 2016 campaign was Stefan Halper, an American professor who taught at the University of Cambridge from 2001 to 2015, according to multiple reports—and this is far from his first rodeo. The 73-year-old served in the Nixon, Ford, and Reagan...
Missing FBI Messages
Jan 26, 2018 4:20 AM CST
Missing FBI Messages Recovered With 'Forensic Tools'
Effort to recover Page-Strzok texts is ongoing, DOJ says
- The missing texts that President Trump called "one of the biggest stories in a long time" have now been recovered, the Justice Department's inspector general says. Michael Horowitz told lawmakers Thursday that his office, "using forensic tools to recover text messages from FBI devices," has recovered...
New Texts Out
From FBI Agent
Kicked Off of
Jan 22, 2018 9:31 AM CST
New Texts Out From FBI Agent Kicked Off of Mueller's Team
But FBI is missing about 5 months' worth
- The Justice Department has turned over to Congress additional texts involving an FBI agent who was removed from Robert Mueller's team over derogatory comments about President Trump. But the DOJ also said its record of messages sent to and from the agent, Peter Strzok, was incomplete because the FBI,...
Texts From FBI
Just Rip on
Dec 15, 2017 11:25 AM CST
Texts From FBI Agents Didn't Just Rip on Trump
Bernie Sanders, Chelsea Clinton, Paul Ryan, and Eric Holder didn't escape the insults, either
- More than 300 text messages exchanged between two FBI agents who used to work for Robert Mueller's Russia probe were delivered to Congress this week, riling Republicans who didn't like how some of them had ripped into Donald Trump during the presidential campaign and shortly after he was...
A Missing Gun, a Hangover,
and Now an FBI Investigation
Nov 9, 2017 9:46 AM CST
A Missing Gun, a Hangover, and Now an FBI Investigation
Hangover part is an educated guess after FBI supervisor's embarrassing night
New York Times
has found a police report embarrassing to the FBI and to one counterterrorism supervisor in particular. It seems the unit chief tied one on while in North Carolina for training, hooked up with an "exotic dancer" at a hotel bar, took her back to his...
Family of Ex-FBI Agent Lost
in Iran Finds Hope in Trump
Mar 8, 2017 10:03 AM CST
Family of Ex-FBI Agent Lost in Iran Finds Hope in Trump
Thinks president's negotiating skills could bring CIA operative home
- Ten years after a former FBI agent working on an unauthorized CIA mission disappeared in Iran, his family hopes President Trump will be the one to finally bring him home. Robert Levinson's family tells the AP that Trump's background as a deal-making businessman and his harder line on...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
Ted Cruz Interview on Uvalde Doesn't Go Too Well
After a Quirky Name Change, Now They're Stuck With It
Gunmaker Is a No-Show at NRA Convention
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.