Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
3 Rackets in
US Open Exit
Sep 7, 2022 7:34 AM CDT
Kyrgios Smashes 3 Rackets in US Open Exit
Australian tennis player, already handed tournament's biggest fine ever, is 'devastated'
- Nick Kyrgios disappointed himself and his fans early Wednesday, losing to Russia's Karen Khachanov in five sets in the US Open quarterfinals, but not those who'd come out for his antics. Having missed out on his best chance yet at a Grand Slam title, the Australian tennis player...
After Loss at US Open, an
Emotional Tribute From Serena
Sep 3, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
After Loss at US Open, an Emotional Tribute From Serena
'"I wouldn't be Serena if there wasn't Venus,' tennis legend said to crowd at Arthur Ashe Stadium
- Leave it to Serena Williams to not want to go quietly, to not want this match, this trip to the US Open, this transcendent career of hers, to really, truly end. Right down to what were, barring a change of heart, the final minutes of her quarter century of excellence...
Sep 2, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Broadcaster Mistakes Dionne Warwick for Gladys Knight
Both singers were in attendance at US Open
- Gladys Knight and Dionne Warwick were both in attendance Wednesday night for Serena Williams' second round match at the US Open, and sports broadcaster and former tennis star Chanda Rubin apparently got them confused, identifying Warwick as Knight after her co-host, Mary Castillo, did. Eye-rolling abounded on social media, NBC...
Kyrgios Has Unusual
Complaint at US Open
Sep 1, 2022 8:38 AM CDT
Kyrgios Has Unusual Complaint at US Open
Umpire warned crowd against smoking after the 'heavy asthmatic' complained about pot smoke
- An umpire at the US Open warned the crowd not to smoke marijuana on Wednesday following a complaint from Australian player Nick Kyrgios. There was "a strong party vibe" in the crowd at New York's Louis Armstrong Arena as the Wimbledon finalist faced France's Benjamin Bonzi in...
Tiger Woods Cheers as
Serena Williams Wins Again
Sep 1, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Tiger Woods Cheers as Serena Williams Wins Again
The golf great encouraged her comeback, she says
- Serena Williams turned to Tiger Woods for his input before she made her recent comeback from a year-long injury absence, the AP reports. On Wednesday night, Woods sat courtside at the US Open, throwing uppercuts in the stands to cheer Williams on to victory. “He’s one of the...
Stunning Runs Set Up
All-Teen US Open Final
Sep 10, 2021 3:51 AM CDT
Stunning Runs Set Up All-Teen US Open Final
Leylah Fernandez, Emma Raducanu are making tennis history
- Stunning runs from two teenagers born two months apart in 2002 have set up a historic US Open final. Canada's Leylah Fernandez, who turned 19 on Monday, beat world No. 2 Aryna Sabalenka on Thursday night,
reports. Her route to the final also involved knocking out world...
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool
—and US Open Title
Sep 4, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Naomi Osaka Loses Cool —and US Open Title
Defending champ lost to an 18-year-old ranked 73rd
- Naomi Osaka smacked her racket against Arthur Ashe Stadium’s court. Moments later, she chucked her equipment, sending it bouncing and skidding halfway to the net. Then came a full-on spike near the baseline, per the AP . Osaka’s game was off. Her composure was gone. By the end,...
Booted Djokovic Sorry for
Hitting Line Judge With Ball
Sep 7, 2020 5:11 AM CDT
Booted Djokovic Sorry for Hitting Line Judge With Ball
'So unintended. So wrong,' tennis star says
- Novak Djokovic apologized Sunday after he was kicked out of the US Open for accidentally hitting a line judge in the throat with a tennis ball after dropping a game in his fourth-round match, a stunning end to his 29-match winning streak and bid for an 18th Grand Slam title....
US Open's Top Seed
Booted for Hitting Judge
Sep 6, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
US Open's Top Seed Booted for Hitting Judge
Novak Djokovic can see the rest of it on TV
- Top-seeded Novak Djokovic was defaulted from his fourth-round match at the US Open after he accidentally hit a line judge in the neck with a tennis ball Sunday, the AP reports. It was a stunning end to Djokovic’s bid for an 18th Grand Slam title and his 26-0 start...
Will Skip US Open
Aug 4, 2020 4:42 PM CDT
Defending Champ Will Skip US Open
'The situation is very complicated worldwide,' Rafael Nadal says
- Defending champion Rafael Nadal will skip the US Open because of the coronavirus pandemic, putting on hold his bid to equal Roger Federer’s men’s record for Grand Slam titles. Nadal explained his decision in a series of tweets sent in Spanish and English on Tuesday. "The situation...
40 Years After a US Open
Splash, This Tree Has Fallen
Mar 7, 2020 9:00 AM CST
40 Years After a US Open Splash, This Tree Has Fallen
Famous 'Hinkle Tree' meets its demise thanks to gust of wind
- A tree that appeared overnight during the 1979 US Open to become a part of golf lore has met its end. The Black Hills spruce known as the "Hinkle Tree" was partially uprooted by a gust of wind this week at Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio, and was cut...
A Ball Boy Sold Serena's Racket
for $500. Now He Regrets It
Nov 18, 2019 9:45 AM CST
A Ball Boy Sold Serena's Racket for $500. Now He Regrets It
Racket busted by Williams in 2018 US Open could fetch five figures in auction
- Broken sports equipment usually turns up in the garbage, but one busted tennis racket up for auction starting Monday could end up selling for five figures. The racket that Serena Williams threw down onto the court in September 2018 during a US Open final match against Naomi Osaka is up...
Rafael Nadal Wins
Sep 9, 2019 12:03 AM CDT
Rafael Nadal Wins 'Unforgettable' Final
Win over Daniil Medvedev didn't come easy
- Rafael Nadal's 19th Grand Slam trophy went from inevitable to suddenly in doubt in a thrill-a-minute US Open final. What had all the makings of a casual crowning morphed into a grueling contest thanks to Nadal's opponent, Daniil Medvedev, a man a decade younger and appearing in his...
Federer Loses to 'Baby Fed'
Sep 4, 2019 12:30 AM CDT
Federer Loses to 'Baby Fed'
'Grigor was able to put me away,' he says after shock defeat
- Betrayed by his 38-year-old body, and his forehand, Roger Federer is done at the US Open. Federer's upper back and neck gave him trouble, he kept missing makeable shots, and he kept giving away the lead against a guy he'd never lost to. It all added up to...
World No. 1 Loses
to Bencic at US Open
Sep 3, 2019 12:58 AM CDT
World No. 1 Loses to Bencic at US Open
'I honestly didn't move well today,' Naomi Osaka says
- Naomi Osaka's achy left knee didn't let her serve without pain, so she didn't practice that key part of her game leading into the US Open. The knee also prevented her from covering the court and preparing for shots the way she'd like. Those weren't...
She Stunned at Wimbledon,
Now Wins Her US Open Debut
Aug 27, 2019 6:54 PM CDT
She Stunned at Wimbledon, Now Wins Her US Open Debut
Coco Gauff is 15
- Coco Gauff has come back from a set and a break down to win her US Open debut at age 15 by beating Anastasia Potapova 3-6, 6-2, 6-4. Gauff got a wild-card entry from the US Tennis Association after making a surprising run to the fourth round at Wimbledon last...
Gary Woodland Wins
Thrilling US Open
Jun 17, 2019 12:36 AM CDT
Gary Woodland Wins Thrilling US Open
Brooks Koepja fails to make it 3 in a row
- In front of Gary Woodland was a 263-yard shot to the scariest green on any par 5 at Pebble Beach, especially with a US Open on the line. Behind him by one shot on the leaderboard was Brooks Koepka, the most dangerous figure in major championship golf these days. The...
5 Hurt After
at US Open
Jun 15, 2019 7:59 AM CDT
5 Hurt After 'Crazy' Accident at US Open
Runaway golf cart slammed into spectators
- "It was crazy." That's how one witness describes to Golf.com the chaos that erupted at the US Open on Friday after an unmanned golf cart ran amok and slammed into a group of spectators, injuring five. The
reports that the incident at the Pebble Beach...
Tennis Umps Reportedly Mull
a Boycott of Serena Games
Sep 12, 2018 8:58 AM CDT
Tennis Umps Reportedly Mull a Boycott of Serena Games
They feel 'thrown to the wolves,' per rumblings
- Serena Williams has already been hit with a $17,000 fine for a confrontation Saturday at the US Open with the chair umpire. Now she may face a boycott from other umps who stand behind Carlos Ramos, per the
. In Serena's court: the US Tennis Association, tennis...
US Open Final
Sep 11, 2017 12:04 AM CDT
Nadal Dominates US Open Final
He beats Anderson for 16th Grand Slam final
- Rafael Nadal against Kevin Anderson in the US Open final shaped up as quite a mismatch—and that's exactly what it was. His game at a high level at the end of an unusually easy path through a Grand Slam field, Nadal overwhelmed first-time major finalist Anderson 6-3, 6-3,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.