Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Months of
Good News for Vegas
Nov 10, 2023 7:11 AM CST
After Months of 'Tense Negotiations,' Good News for Vegas
Vegas casinos, hotel workers union reach tentative deal to avoid a strike
- Over seven months of tense negotiations, mandatory daily room cleanings underscored the big issues that Las Vegas union hotel workers were fighting to address in their first contracts since the pandemic. Those issues also included job security, better working conditions, and safety while on the job. From the onset of...
'Cybersecurity Issue' Hits
MGM Resorts' Hotels, Casinos
Sep 12, 2023 2:36 PM CDT
'Cybersecurity Issue' Hits MGM Resorts' Hotels, Casinos
Company's main website is down in 'ongoing' event
- A "cybersecurity issue" led to the shutdown of some casino and hotel computer systems at MGM Resorts International properties across the US, a company official reported Monday. The incident began Sunday. The extent of its effect was not immediately known on reservation systems and casino floors in Las Vegas...
Here's Why You're Losing
More Often in Vegas Casinos
Jun 4, 2023 5:20 PM CDT
Here's Why You're Losing More Often in Vegas Casinos
Companies that rely on gambling profits are stacking the deck
- Las Vegas casinos are costing gamblers more and making it harder to win. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that blackjack payouts have gone down, roulette wheels aren't as sure a bet as before, and gaming overall costs more now. It turns out there's a reason for these changes—...
800K Maryland License Plates
Feature a Very Odd URL
Jun 1, 2023 9:29 AM CDT
800K Maryland License Plates Feature a Very Odd URL
Website on older plates now lead to a site that promotes online casinos in the Philippines
- Nearly 800,000 cars in Maryland are driving around with older license plates featuring a tribute to the War of 1812, as well as a URL that's causing the state's Motor Vehicle Administration a bit of a headache. Per WBAL , the plates feature a drawing of Fort McHenry,...
Japan Is Building
Its First Casino,
Apr 14, 2023 5:10 PM CDT
Japan Is Building Its First Casino, Controversially
It's set to open in Osaka in 2029
- Japan is on course to get its first casino, but the country hasn't rushed into it: Japan legalized casinos in 2018 and it has taken five years for the first project to gain approval. The government announced Friday that a proposed casino complex in Osaka had gotten the green...
FBI Docs Suggest Motive
for Las Vegas Shooter
Mar 31, 2023 12:49 PM CDT
FBI Docs Suggest Motive for Las Vegas Shooter
Acquaintance interviews reveal Stephen Paddock was upset over treatment by casinos
- Documents newly released by the FBI "provide the strongest indication yet of a motive" for the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history,
reports. Though an FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit concluded there was "no single or clear motivating factor" that drove 64-year-old Stephen Paddock to rain...
She Won Big at the Casino.
Her Drive Home Was Terrifying
Jul 22, 2022 12:03 PM CDT
She Won Big at the Casino. Her Drive Home Was Terrifying
Authorities say Iowa man ran woman's car off road, stole the $18K she'd just won
- What should've been a night of celebration turned into a night of terror for an Iowa woman who'd just won $18,000 at an Iowa casino. One suspect has since been arrested. According to a criminal complaint, 30-year-old Timothy Spencer of Berwick witnessed the woman hit it big...
In March, US Casinos
Raked in a Record Sum
May 11, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
In March, US Casinos Raked in a Record Sum
$5.3B was the highest single-month total ever, American Gaming Association says
- Inflation may be soaring, supply chains remain snarled, and the coronavirus just won't go away, but America's casinos are humming right along, recording the best month in their history in March. The American Gaming Association, the gambling industry's national trade group, said Wednesday that US commercial casinos...
New Hire Talks,
and Works for Free
Mar 4, 2022 1:25 PM CST
Restaurant's New Hire Talks, Plays Music, and Works for Free
Faced with worker shortage, Tin Lizzie's in Deadwood, SD, recruited a robot server
- At the Tin Lizzie Gaming Resort in Deadwood, SD, a labor shortage left management scrambling to figure out a way to alleviate current workers' stresses. "We thought outside the box," Assistant General Manager Josh Thurmes tells Local 12 in introducing the casino eatery's newest staffer: a robot...
Nevada Unmasks Gamblers
Feb 10, 2022 7:12 PM CST
Nevada Unmasks Gamblers
Governor lifts mandate for most public places
- Signs announcing face masks were required came down in Nevada casinos on Thursday, after the state dropped its mandate for public places. The change was effective immediately. "It's really an exciting day," said Stephen Thayer, general manager of the Strat in Las Vegas. Employees were relieved that...
He Won $230K on Vegas
Slots and Didn't Even Know It
Feb 7, 2022 8:07 AM CST
He Won $230K on Vegas Slots and Didn't Even Know It
After casino machine malfunction, Nevada gaming agency's meticulous detective work finds winner
- A tourist who visited Las Vegas last month got lucky not once, but twice after he won a huge jackpot from a slot machine and never even realized it. CNN reports on the Nevada Gaming Control Board's "exhaustive" search for the Arizona man after the slot machine he...
Tribal Leader's Casino
in a Garage Broke Ground
Sep 18, 2021 3:40 PM CDT
Tribal Leader's Casino in a Garage Broke Ground
Fred Dakota wanted more from the US than a promise 'not to kill us'
- Fred Dakota, whose garage casino in Michigan's Upper Peninsula in 1983 was a milestone for Native American gambling, has died. He was 84. Dakota, a former leader of the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community, died Monday at his home in Baraga, the AP reports. The cause was not disclosed. Tribal...
Is No More
Feb 17, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Trump Plaza Is No More
It's the 'end of a not-so-great era' in Atlantic City
- Trump Plaza Hotel and Casino has disappeared in a cloud of dust. The gutted casino came down in a planned implosion in Atlantic City, NJ, on Wednesday morning, with the
New York Times
quipping, "It was not the biggest or the best implosion ever." Still, there was "...
2 More Companies
Aug 28, 2020 1:19 PM CDT
2 More Companies Announce Layoffs
MGM Resorts and Coca-Cola join the list
- Two more big companies announced layoffs on Friday:
will lay off 18,000 people as the casino industry struggles to recover. That represents about a quarter of the company's American workforce of 68,000 before the pandemic took hold, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Nevada Governor Has News
About Casinos, Himself
May 27, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
Nevada Governor Has News About Casinos, Himself
Resorts reopen June 4, and Steve Sisolak was potentially exposed himself
- Nevada's blueprint on reopening the state includes a nugget of interest not just to state residents: Vegas casinos will reopen their doors on June 4. Each individual resort will have to submit a detailed plan ahead of time, reports the
Las Vegas Sun
, but visitors can expect to see...
Tribes 'Can't Fund Any
Programs' After This Loss
May 10, 2020 5:20 PM CDT
Tribes 'Can't Fund Any Programs' After This Loss
American Indians are losing their best source of income
- When the Kalispel Tribe of Indians closed its casino as the coronavirus took hold in Washington state, it essentially shut down its economy. That difficult choice has played out nationwide as some 500 Native American casinos have voluntarily closed during the pandemic, often taking away tribes' main source of income...
Las Vegas Is Reeling
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
May 2, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
Las Vegas Is Reeling
Job losses unprecedented in a city built on hospitality and tourism
- New York City may be the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak in terms of illnesses, but when it comes to job losses, the
New York Times
declares Las Vegas to be "ground zero." The broad strokes are simple enough: About a third of the local economy is tied...
Vegas Mayor Slammed
for 'Misguided' Remarks
Apr 23, 2020 7:40 AM CDT
Vegas Mayor Slammed for 'Misguided' Remarks
She wanted city to be 'control group' for reopening
- Las Vegas Mayor Carolyn Goodman, who is pushing for casinos and other businesses to be allowed to reopen, says she wants the city to be a "control group" for relaxing shutdowns. The workers who would actually be affected say they want to go back to safe workplaces—and they...
Vegas Casinos to Close
for First Time Since 1963
Mar 18, 2020 3:25 AM CDT
Vegas Casinos to Close for First Time Since 1963
Nevada governor shuts down gambling for a month
- Gambling is grinding to a halt in casino-mecca Las Vegas after the governor of Nevada issued a sweeping statewide order to stop the spread of the new coronavirus. Democrat Steve Sisolak ordered a monthlong freeze on gambling, shutting down everything from the famous casino resorts to slot machines found in...
to the Casino.
200-Plus Got Sick
Feb 8, 2020 5:30 AM CST
Hundreds Went to the Casino. 200-Plus Got Sick
'How it started at this point doesn't really matter anymore': health official on La. norovirus outbreak
- An outbreak of norovirus at a southwestern Louisiana casino has left at least 200 people sick and has prompted an investigation by state health officials. The Department of Health confirmed Thursday that the illnesses reported at L'Auberge Casino in Lake Charles last weekend were norovirus-related, news outlets report. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.