Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Young US Swimmers Grew Into
Olympians During Shutdown
Jun 21, 2021 4:52 PM CDT
Young US Swimmers Grew Into Olympians During Shutdown
Women's squad bound for Tokyo includes 10 teenagers
- No one knew what the makeup of the US Olympic swim team would look like on the other side of the pandemic. The answer became clear over the weekend at the trials in Omaha. It's young: 10 members of the women's team are teenagers, replacing veterans of past...
Lawyer: Ryan Lochte Finally
Getting Help for Longtime Issue
Oct 6, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
Lawyer: Ryan Lochte Finally Getting Help for Longtime Issue
Olympic swimmer will seek treatment for 'destructive' alcohol addiction
- A hotel altercation this week has forced an Olympic champion to seek treatment for a longtime problem. TMZ Sports reports swimmer Ryan Lochte found himself in trouble Thursday after he tried to bust through his own hotel room door in the middle of the night in Newport Beach, Calif. He...
Ryan Lochte Hit With
'Extremely Rare' Suspension
Jul 23, 2018 4:02 PM CDT
Ryan Lochte Hit With 'Extremely Rare' Suspension
US Anti-Doping Agency prohibits IV injections that exceed 100 milliliters
- Ryan Lochte posted a photo for the world to see, and the US Anti-Doping Agency noticed. It got him suspended—again. The longtime US swimming star has been banned from competition until July 2019, which means the 12-time Olympic medalist cannot compete as planned in the national championships that start...
Off the Hook
Jul 16, 2017 6:37 AM CDT
Brazil Lets Ryan Lochte Off the Hook
Criminal case dismissed against swimmer over false robbery report at Rio Olympics
- A Brazilian court has dismissed the criminal case against US swimmer Ryan Lochte, who had been charged with filing a false robbery report during the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. The court confirmed in a statement this week that it tossed out the case after determining that Lochte's...
Lochte: I May Have Been 'Most
Hated Person in the World'
Jun 7, 2017 3:35 PM CDT
Lochte: I May Have Been 'Most Hated Person in the World'
But swimmer clarifies he never considered suicide after scandal at Rio Olympics
- Ryan Lochte spent most of last August on an apology tour for his "immature behavior" at the Rio Olympics, which saw the swimmer jump from pool water into hot water for his role in an incident at a local gas station—an event he originally "over-exaggerated" as an...
Baby Will Make 3
for Ryan Lochte,
Dec 15, 2016 10:17 AM CST
Baby Will Make 3 for Ryan Lochte, Fiancee
Swimmer, Playboy model announce pregnancy on Instagram
- Ryan Lochte has jumped in the pool to announce that he and fiancee Kayla Rae Reid are expecting a baby, the AP reports. The Olympic swimmer and the former Playboy model shared pictures on Instagram of Lochte underwater, kissing Reid's tiny baby bump. Lochte says his "Christmas gift...
Oct 10, 2016 3:02 AM CDT
Ryan Lochte Engaged to
Swimmer has been dating Kayla Rae Reid since March
- Ryan Lochte is in the headlines for a decidedly more pleasant reason than his Rio debacle and ensuing
Dancing With the Stars
debacle . The swimmer proposed to Kayla Rae Reid in Malibu on Sunday, and she apparently said yes. He shared a photo on Instagram of the two of them...
Protesters Rush Stage
Sep 13, 2016 5:21 AM CDT
Protesters Rush Stage During Lochte's
Swimmer says he is 'a little hurt'
- Ryan Lochte says he feels "a little hurt" after two men were arrested for allegedly rushing the stage following his performance on
Dancing With the Stars
. The two men, wearing anti-Lochte T-shirts, were arrested on suspicion of criminal trespassing, Los Angeles police spokesman Officer Mike Lopez says. They reportedly...
Lochte in Line
for Long Suspension
Sep 8, 2016 1:19 AM CDT
Lochte in Line for Long Suspension
IOC, USA Swimming will ban him for 10 months
- Ryan Lochte has been hit with a 10-month suspension for his behavior in Rio, sources tell
, CNN , and other outlets. The punishment handed down by the International Olympic Committee, the United States Olympic Committee, and USA Swimming also includes a ban from 2017's world championship meet in...
Aug 30, 2016 10:11 AM CDT
Presidential Candidate to
Former Texas governor to join Amber Rose, Vanilla Ice, Ryan Lochte on 'DWTS'
- Rick Perry will join the next season of
Dancing With the Stars
, joining Ryan Lochte (probably not doing the Brazilian bossa nova), Amber Rose (doing dance moves that epitomize whatever she's famous for doing), and other celebrities for the ABC show's 23
season, ABC News reports. Perry, who...
Rio Police Have
With a Crime
Aug 25, 2016 5:43 PM CDT
Rio Police Have Finally Charged Ryan Lochte With a Crime
Charges for filing a false robbery report were filed Thursday
- Brazilian police have charged American swimmer Ryan Lochte with filing a false robbery report over an incident during the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, the AP reports. A police statement Thursday says Lochte will be informed in the US so he can decide whether to introduce a defense in Brazil....
Michael Moore Issues
Rousing Defense of Lochte
Aug 25, 2016 1:51 PM CDT
Michael Moore Issues Rousing Defense of Lochte
Get the facts straight before judging, he writes
- Is there anyone getting more universally vilified than Ryan Lochte these days? Like so . The swimmer, however, finally has a high-profile name in his corner in Michael Moore. In a scathing Facebook post , Moore ridicules what he sees as the hypocritical and way-out-of-line treatment Lochte. "How dare you say...
Ryan Lochte’s Next Move?
Hint: It Involves Dancing Shoes
Aug 25, 2016 5:17 AM CDT
Ryan Lochte’s Next Move? Hint: It Involves Dancing Shoes
Disgraced swimmer set to join Dancing With the Stars, source says
- Can Ryan Lochte dance his way to redemption? The disgraced swimmer is set to join the celebrity cast for the upcoming season of
Dancing with the Stars,
a source tells
. Though the ABC show wouldn’t confirm the report, an “insider” says “Ryan has wanted to be...
Lochte Loses Speedo Deal
Aug 22, 2016 12:56 PM CDT
Lochte Loses Speedo Deal
Company ditches swimmer after Rio mess, Ralph Lauren follows suit
- Ryan Lochte's Rio exaggeration is now resulting in more than just negative press: Speedo USA has dumped him, reports ABC News . "We cannot condone behavior that is counter to the values this brand has long stood for," says the company. "We appreciate his many achievements and...
Sorry for 'My
Aug 21, 2016 7:31 AM CDT
Ryan Lochte: Sorry for 'My Immature Behavior'
Swimmer admits he 'over-exaggerated' his telling of the story
- If backpedaling were an Olympic sport, Ryan Lochte might have a 13th medal to add to his pile. Furthering the apology tour by the four American swimmers in Lochte's fantasy robbery at the Rio Games, Lochte tells NBC News that as for the version of events he spun last...
Another Swimmer Apologizes,
Gives His Own Account
Aug 20, 2016 8:29 AM CDT
Another Swimmer Apologizes, Gives His Own Account
Gunnar Bentz says Ryan Lochte confronted security guards
- One of the other swimmers caught up in the Ryan Lochte Rio mess has apologized for the controversy, while suggesting that Lochte made things worse during the incident by being hot-headed. “Without question, I am taking away a valuable life lesson from this situation,” wrote Gunnar Bentz, per...
Can Justin Bieber's PR Guy
Save Ryan Lochte's Image?
Aug 19, 2016 4:35 PM CDT
Can Justin Bieber's PR Guy Save Ryan Lochte's Image?
Matthew Hiltzik has worked with a string of high-profile clients
- As Ryan Lochte quickly moved from brave robbery victim to possible gas-station vandalizer , he's "taken a beating" in the press, so "it's no surprise" the Olympic swimmer has hired someone to help with his image, according to the
. That someone is Matthew Hiltzik, a...
Lochte on Twitter: I'm Sorry
for Not Being 'Candid'
Aug 19, 2016 10:23 AM CDT
Lochte on Twitter: I'm Sorry for Not Being 'Candid'
Swimmer says he should've handled himself better after 'traumatic' experience
- Is Ryan Lochte trying to wrest back control of Lochte-Gate ?
points out the US swimmer posted a lengthy mea culpa—though TMZ labels it nothing more than a doubling down—on social media Friday morning. In it, he says he's sorry to "my teammates, my...
Aug 19, 2016 7:46 AM CDT
Ryan Lochte 'Dumbest Bell That Ever Rang'
'WaPo' columnist calls out swimmer for 'obliviousness'
- IOC spokesman Mario Andrada may think what went down in Rio with Ryan Lochte and three other US swimmers was just boys being boys , but Sally Jenkins has an entirely different take on Lochte's reported exploits. In a scathing opinion piece for the
, Jenkins writes that the...
After 'Robbery' Debacle,
Feigen Pays $11K to Go Home
Aug 19, 2016 6:16 AM CDT
After 'Robbery' Debacle, Feigen Pays $11K to Go Home
Swimmer will make donation to unspecified charity
- American swimmer Jimmy Feigen finally gets to go home, but it will cost him about $11,000. He will donate roughly that amount to an unspecified charity and get his passport back under a deal struck with Brazilian authorities, reports NBC News . "And with that the case is resolved,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Centuries Ago, We Slept Much Differently
Schwarzenegger in Multi-Vehicle Accident
Mom's Remarks Over Face Masks Lead to Charges
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Passengers in NC Plane Landing Got a Wild Ride
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.